Why I Can'T Change My Avatar

janverbeem

I try to change my avatar.

I'll go to my profile page,click on change avatar >rermove picture>browse picture> click on the required picture>old avatar shows in the frame.

I have even removed the picture from the old avatar from my computer,still the same result.

Have tried different pictures,jpeg,gif,png,bitmap to no avail.Have tried to remove the picture then refresh the page,even close explorer and log in again.

I browse to the wanted picture on my computer,click on it and my old avatar will load.

Edited by janverbeem

This is usually always a caching issue, either your local cache which can be refreshed by hitting the CTRL+F5 keys, or an ISP cache which can take several hours to a few days to refresh. The personal photo in your profile and avatar are the same now with the new forum upgrade. Below is what I see on your profile but I still see your old one in the forum avatar and this is due to my ISP caching your old one. Just need to wait for it to update at the ISP if CTRL+F5 doesn't update it.

post-566-0-43107800-1327601309_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply,and indeed that's the picture i wanted to upload.I have tried again,remove picture > CTRL+F5>browse picture and upload>change crop and once again CTRL+F5.

I keep seeing the old avatar in both my profile page and of course also the forum avatar.

Thanks for the reply,and indeed that's the picture i wanted to upload.I have tried again,remove picture > CTRL+F5>browse picture and upload>change crop and once again CTRL+F5.

I keep seeing the old avatar in both my profile page and of course also the forum avatar.

I ran a test recently by loading an avatar in my profile in a test account which had no avatar. Showed correctly in the profile and in a topic as it was never cached. Then uploaded a new avatar and showed correctly in my profile but the old avatar still was showing in the forum topic and CTRL+F5 did not update it. That meant it was cached at the ISP level. After about 12 hours it finally showed up correctly on the forum. Bottom line, just need to wait until things gets refreshed at the ISP. This needs to be a FAQ as the problem is brought up often.

Update:

We have just introduced some changes how avatars are cached and stored on the server cloud. We hope that avatars will now be updated within 24 hours, as we now force the isp's to drop old cache.

Please bear with us when we test this, this is being taken care of, but many steps from server cloud to your browser.

Cheers

I see one on gun control, what do you see?

I see one in the posts and another in the profile.

It looks like he changed the one in his profile as it now matches the one in this topic - Gun Control in both. I did a CTRL+F5 on his profile and it changed from the Washington one to the Gun Control one. Yesterday it was the Washington one.

I uploaded the Washington one on 26 Januari late night,but I still see the gun one both in the forum and my profile.

I now see the Washington one in your profile again but still the Gun Control in the forum. The below are the image links, the first one the profile photo and the 2nd the one seen in forum topics. Don't know if it may be a problem with the thumbnail generator? Try copying the below links into a window and see what image comes up. Also, do a CTRL+F5 in that image window if it doesn't show correctly.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-123217.jpg
http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-123217.jpg

I uploaded the Washington one on 26 Januari late night,but I still see the gun one both in the forum and my profile.

I now see the Washington one in your profile again but still the Gun Control in the forum. The below are the image links, the first one the profile photo and the 2nd the one seen in forum topics. Don't know if it may be a problem with the thumbnail generator? Try copying the below links into a window and see what image comes up. Also, do a CTRL+F5 in that image window if it doesn't show correctly.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-123217.jpg
http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-123217.jpg

Two times the old Avatar,refreshing doesn't make a change.

Don`t care much about an avatar, but it comes in handy when trying to find own postings.

Put one up a few days ago, it loaded fine and was visible. Decided to change it, in hindsight it was not suited and open to abuse/remarks, which could be fun, but enough of that already on the forum. Deleted it, no problem.

Found another one some time later, but it will not load (loading from pics folder ). I have emptied the cage, deleted all cookies login/out/whatever, but now after two- three days I still cannot load the new pic, the old one which I removed keeps coming back.

Not in a hurry, but just saying.

C

Found another one some time later, but it will not load (loading from pics folder ). I have emptied the cage, deleted all cookies login/out/whatever, but now after two- three days I still cannot load the new pic, the old one which I removed keeps coming back.

At the moment I see no avatar for you nor a profile photo (which are one and the same now). It looks like you currently do not have one loaded. There is a limit of 200kB for the photo now.

At the moment I see no avatar for you nor a profile photo (which are one and the same now). It looks like you currently do not have one loaded. There is a limit of 200kB for the photo now.

That is correct, I removed the pic. But when I try to load another one from my PC, the old one (deleated one) shows up again instead of the new one which I am trying to load.

The avatar which will not load is less than 200kb

C

Don't you think that is a serious indication that there is something wrong with the software? What Carib describes is exactly what happens at my side also.

Don't you think that is a serious indication that there is something wrong with the software? What Carib describes is exactly what happens at my side also.

What ISP are you and Carib using? I'm trying to pin the problem down and in most cases reported here waiting for ISP cache to catch up corrects it. Sometimes it takes 3-4 days for it to happen due to some poor ISP cache management. As I mentioned your profile does show a different one then in posts so your upload has worked. Need for other member's to tell us what they see for your avatar & profile. Poorsucker above indicates the same as I and a different profile vs topic photo showing for you.

The two photos are in different locations as shown in my code segment above so maybe webmaster/IT can give some idea as to if it is ISP/local or database software. I am trying to isolate the issue based on similar problems but don't have my hands on the keys to dig further than that. wink.png

What ISP are you and Carib using? I'm trying to pin the problem down and in most cases reported here waiting for ISP cache to catch up corrects it. Sometimes it takes 3-4 days for it to happen due to some poor ISP cache management. As I mentioned your profile does show a different one then in posts so your upload has worked. Need for other member's to tell us what they see for your avatar & profile. Poorsucker above indicates the same as I and a different profile vs topic photo showing for you.

The two photos are in different locations as shown in my code segment above so maybe webmaster/IT can give some idea as to if it is ISP/local or database software. I am trying to isolate the issue based on similar problems but don't have my hands on the keys to dig further than that. wink.png

Hi, My ISP is one from a very small Caribbean island right now, so not Thailand based. Like I said, not a really big deal for me and maybe it is the ISP cache management here, will wait a few more days.

Thanks for working on it.

C.

Edited by Carib

3 days and counting.I'm sure the problem doesn't lay with the ISP as Carib doesn't stay in Thailand and has the same problem.Please get a solution for this and the many other bugs this new software has.

Edited by janverbeem