Why Is Thailand So Uptight When It Comes To Tourist Visas?

You said I was wrong. I was not.

China, India, Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Russia, Brazil, etc. etc. etc.

There are dozens and dozens of countries clamoring for tourist dollars that do not allow visa-free entry (though some give visa on arrival for a fee) like Thailand does.

By world standards, Thailand's visa rules are ridiculously loose. Just about anyone can come and stay forever with ludicrously minimal hassle.

Just look at the flotsam and jetsam from all over the globe inhabiting the likes of Nana and Pattaya.

You can call me "dude" all you want, but that's the way it is.

You're wrong but I am way too lazy to do the research to prove you wrong so if it makes you feel good to think you're right, enjoy. As an American I have been to probably over 50 countries as a tourist without a visa. Including Thailand on 30 day stamps but most tourism countries offer more time. To me if a country lets you fly in and buy a visa on arrival that is also virtually visa free travel as you don't need to deal with an embassy. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every country administers its visa waiver program with the goal of reciprocating other countries' terms when possible but the priority is always on limiting the negative effects of easy entry.

Statistics show that Thailand attracts far too many travelers who choose to stay here despite insufficient means. So, even USA and EU tourists only get 30 days on a waiver.

But, it's pretty easy to get a multiple-entry visa from your home country. For a while now it's even been free, and each 60 day entry can be extended for 30 days more.

Plus, of the countries you mentioned, only Malaysia and The Philippines have any provision for retirement visas, so on balance, Thailand seems to rate fairly well.

Plus, unless its changed recently, at least for Americans (and I assume most countries), tourists without a visa only get a 21-day entry stamp (so even less than Thailand).

Because tourists will generally stay for two to three weeks. So don't even need a visa.

If their holiday is going to be longer than 30 days (quite unlikely) they can get a Tourist Visa which is good for 60 days! Two whole months of holidays! Even if that is not enough they can get a double or triple entry and by doing a border run after 60 days they can get another 60 days!

A 120 day holiday!

Blimey. Not many tourists need longer than 120 days now, do they?

Going on 12 years now so that's 4380 days give or take...what's the right visa for that :)

• Like 1

China, India, Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Russia, Brazil, etc. etc. etc.

There are dozens and dozens of countries clamoring for tourist dollars that do not allow visa-free entry (though some give visa on arrival for a fee) like Thailand does.

By world standards, Thailand's visa rules are ridiculously loose.

This is perfectly true.

What the OP really meant was "why is Thailand so uptight about issuing endless back-to-back permissions to stay that amount to permanent residency for those under retirement age?".

And the answer is because if these people are under 50 (which is a very generous retirement age anyway) or dont have 800KB they are most likely up to no good: working without a permit or running some illegal business, or indeed just being a criminal.

And if you have any doubts, just look at the people who have to go on visa runs. An illuminating experience.

The other point to make is that the squawkers are coming from the point of spoiled, coddled, first worlders, who basically feel they should have the right to go anywhere they want and stay as long as they want.

From the perspective of, say, a person from China, India, Iran, or Mali for example, Thailand is one of the few desirable places in the world they can go and stay indefinitely with little hassle. And they are grateful for that, come in droves, and are happy as clams to be here.

Westerners are so spoiled, take everything for granted, and whinge endlessly without ince giving thought as to what it would be like to be a passport holder from the developing world.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

As westerners with easy travel passports don't blame us if we take notice of countries that are easier than others. By obvious definition, a country that lets you enter for three or six months on entry without any hassle is easier than one that only allows one month.

• Like 1

As westerners with easy travel passports don't blame us if we take notice of countries that are easier than others. By obvious definition, a country that lets you enter for three or six months on entry without any hassle is easier than one that only allows one month.

Taking notice is one thing. Squawking and bleating with an arrogant sense of entitlement is another -- especially when your country offers little in the way of reciprocity for citizens if this country.

Taking notice is one thing. Squawking and bleating with an arrogant sense of entitlement is another -- especially when your country offers little in the way of reciprocity for citizens if this country.

I agree. No need for squawking and bleating. On the other hand, I think the policies of the western countries are completely irrelevant when comparing to poorer tourism promoting countries. Travelers rightly compare Thailand to countries like Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador, and Malaysia, not France or Canada. But of course things change over time. Personally I think the USA needs to seriously loosen the tourist visa policies, the money is needed badly now, and the USA is much less of an illegal immigration draw than it is used to be. Edited by Jingthing

It has nothing to do with money.

What it has to do with is the Thai government feeling that a 30-day stay with no prior chance to examine a person's credentials is plenty of time fir most genuine tourists to see the country.

To stay longer, you simply apply for a visa that allows for more scrutiny.

And the purpose of making you leave the country on a border run (if even that is not enough for your tourism purposes) is to allow the authorities to look you in the eye to see if you're someone they want to allow back in.

Logical and simple, really.

I agree. No need for squawking and bleating. On the other hand, I think the policies of the western countries are completely irrelevant when comparing to poorer tourism promoting countries. Travelers rightly compare Thailand to countries like Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador, and Malaysia, not France or Canada. But of course things change over time. Personally I think the USA needs to seriously loosen the tourist visa policies, the money is needed badly now, and the USA is much less of an illegal immigration draw than it is used to be.

Yet, it is still today the unmitigated fear of being overrun by hoardes of undocumented immigrants [legit or not] that drives the American policies....this can be said, to one degree or another, concerning kin English and Franco speaking countries.

The Thai tourist visa is indeed very easy and completely fair,I've never had an issue in my time of using them.

What Thailand does not offer is the I've been on holiday,met the girl of my dreams,got her pregnant and want to live in paradise visa.

Maybe we could agree on:

Thailand visa rules are way too easy for sextourists and/or eternal students and/or illegal workers.

Thailand visa rules are way too difficult for married (to thai wife) or retired people.

I dont think I can agree with either.

As far as I can see they do make it quite hard for people to stay for a long time without a valid reason; the reports of consecutive visas being refused seems to bear that out. If I was running the system and really wanted to discourage long-term stayers I would just make successive visas more and more expensive to obtain. Perhaps something on the lines of USD500 per month.

And the visa extension for retirement seems like a complete doddle to me; put 800K in the bank, pay a fee of under 2000B and fill in a form. If it was a fee of 800K I would certainly think twice, but it isnt. It's just a deposit.

And the answer is because if these people are under 50 (which is a very generous retirement age anyway) or dont have 800KB they are most likely up to no good: working without a permit or running some illegal business, or indeed just being a criminal.

Cool! I have 800k and am under 50, what visa do I apply for? So lucky I'm not over 50 with only 700K because then I would be a criminal... phew!

• Like 1

Maybe we could agree on:

Thailand visa rules are way too easy for sextourists and/or eternal students and/or illegal workers.

Thailand visa rules are way too difficult for married (to thai wife) or retired people.

Ahh, finally! I will second this.

Retired, OYO residence, no work, no business, no marriage, no sex tourist, no child abuse, financial conditions resolved...

So, instead of visa runs, I am offered a 'security' of yearly renewable non O retiree plus 90 days reporting. Bliss!

Just would like to see the logic behind this. Anyone? offtopic2.gif

Well OP is way off in his rant and obviously not familiar how things work in the region.

Phils is 21 days in arrival and while Singapore gives you 90 days (at least on EU passport) try to do it back to back and you find out that on first or latest on second "visa run" you get 3 to 7 days permission to stay. Initial stamp might be longer but all in all much more strict.

Indonesia no stamp need visa on arrival which is expensive. Few back to back no problems but they do start asking questions after a while.

For BB, perhaps people are not so much against visa runners here but those who just won't get it and come to TV to whine how uptight and unfair the rules are.

Retired, OYO residence, no work, no business, no marriage, no sex tourist, no child abuse, financial conditions resolved...

So, instead of visa runs, I am offered a 'security' of yearly renewable non O retiree plus 90 days reporting. Bliss!

A 1-year retirement visa extension in return for just a 800K deposit (or proof of income) seems quite generous to me. Most countries wouldnt give you as much or would want you to show (invest) much more money.

The 90-day reporting is a pointless nuisance but it isnt actually difficult.

A 1-year retirement visa extension in return for just a 800K deposit (or proof of income) seems quite generous to me. Most countries wouldnt give you as much or would want you to show (invest) much more money.

wai.gif Thai neighbour (Malaysia) is way more 'generous', offering 10 years unlimited re-entry, free business activity, land and housing ownership and free movement of your money in and out.

Compare this with uncertainty of retiree's stay in Thailand and you really forget the pointless nuisance of 90 days reporting as well as any invitation to invest in Thailand, wherever it comes from.

Those who 'invest' into marriage - good luck to them. But it isn't investment in Thailand. And we al know the risks involved anyway.

WPFflags.gif In any case, I like it here, I am here, I comply with the rules. But don't ask me to like them. And don't think I am not at risk (meaning my money). Does it have to be this way?mfr_closed1.gif

My comparison of Thailand has a more GLOBAL perspective for like tourism magnet countries to Thailand developmentally speaking, not just a provincial regional comparison. Thailand has an odd mix of liberal and strict.

Edited by Jingthing

wai.gif Thai neighbour (Malaysia) is way more 'generous', offering 10 years unlimited re-entry, free business activity, land and housing ownership and free movement of your money in and out.

Compare this with uncertainty of retiree's stay in Thailand and you really forget the pointless nuisance of 90 days reporting as well as any invitation to invest in Thailand, wherever it comes from.

Those who 'invest' into marriage - good luck to them. But it isn't investment in Thailand. And we al know the risks involved anyway.

WPFflags.gif In any case, I like it here, I am here, I comply with the rules. But don't ask me to like them. And don't think I am not at risk (meaning my money). Does it have to be this way?mfr_closed1.gif

Unless you happen to be from Israel.

Every country administers its visa waiver program with the goal of reciprocating other countries' terms when possible but the priority is always on limiting the negative effects of easy entry.

Statistics show that Thailand attracts far too many travelers who choose to stay here despite insufficient means. So, even USA and EU tourists only get 30 days on a waiver.

But, it's pretty easy to get a multiple-entry visa from your home country. For a while now it's even been free, and each 60 day entry can be extended for 30 days more.

Plus, of the countries you mentioned, only Malaysia and The Philippines have any provision for retirement visas, so on balance, Thailand seems to rate fairly well.

well if they come to our countrys the awnser is no so why should thailand if europe says yes then they should do the same, europe always says no to thais there showing there no walk over i dont like it but there only doing what we do,

Thai neighbour (Malaysia) is way more 'generous', offering 10 years unlimited re-entry, free business activity, land and housing ownership and free movement of your money in and out.

In return for a deposit that is double (or quadruple for the under-50s) that of the Thai requirement.

As I said, for what you get for just 800KB deposit, Thailand is quite generous.

Thai neighbour (Malaysia) is way more 'generous', offering 10 years unlimited re-entry, free business activity, land and housing ownership and free movement of your money in and out.

In return for a deposit that is double (or quadruple for the under-50s) that of the Thai requirement.

As I said, for what you get for just 800KB deposit, Thailand is quite generous.

I've always wondered about the Malaysia boosters. If it is such a good deal, how come more people from TV aren't there?

When I renew my retirement extension I go 125 km to Nakhon Sawan having previuosly visited the UK embassy in Chiang Mai or Bangkok for my proof of income letter.

I go on my own as several of the staff speak English show them the originals of the documents they require and give them copies.

On a really bad day when they are crowded, perhaps 6 or 7 customers it may take up to an hour, especially if someone for gets a copy, but generally I am in and out in 30 minutes.

Last Thursady I did my 90 day report and was in and out in 4 minutes.

I dress reasonably well, speak my poor Thai and listen to their far better English and thank them.

Done, easy peasy, game over.

The last time I went to the UK with my wife back in 2005 it took her nearly 2 hours just to get through passport control.

Married or retirement visas hard to get and difficult to complete?

Not in my opinion and I have been doing it for 11 years at Suan Phlu (which was a horrible place due to all the visa "agents" shoving in, Mae Sot at the border with Burma and now Nakhon Sawan.