Thai PM Stresses Thailand Is Good Place For Investment

webfact

We have "measures" , everything is under control, we are reshuffling now as we speak, Thailand remains a "hub", we have been removed from the terrorist alert on the US embassy web site, Chinese tourists are coming back in droves, we have declared "friendship" with Palestine and now recognize them, we have no fight with muslims and they promised not to do any bombs in Thailand, there are only 5,000 plus deaths in the insurrection in the muslim south, our Arab community controlling the Soi 3 area right near Bumrungrad Hospital is very happy with our progress, and we have great airport security , just ask our PAD leaders.

For all these reasons, you should see Thailand as a fabulous place to invest. There are no swindles, no corruption, virtually no crime that goes unsolved. Why just today we announced the capture of a never before reported story of an Indian currency trader being robbed of 50 million baht. Our English press is fair and objective and provides comprehensive detailed news and opinion. They follow up on every story and check facts meticulously. You may have read also that I have just appointed a US "blacklisted" business woman to Office Minister. She has only "facilitated" illegal gem, banking, and real estate deals with the Zimbabwe government and not actually "engaged" in these transactions. Everyone in the room loves Robert Mugabe right?

And rest assured, our former PM my older brother, who was removed by a military coup and who is on the run outside Thailand from charges of fraud and securities manipulation, is still pulling the strings on whatever issue we make an announcement about. The military promises that there will be no coup, and therefore, I will see you all in Davos again next year and wish you all good luck with your investments in Thailand.

“We have received confirmation from all sources that the rumor of a coup is not true. The rumor was spread by some faction, but it is not true.” - Thaksin Shinawatra - His first statement while in New York, following the news of the 2006 coup.

"I came here as prime minister but left as an unemployed man," Thaksin Shinawatra said while leaving New York after he was deposed as interim prime minister in the 2006 Thailand coup d'état while he was at the United Nations headquarters.

could Davos be "It's deja vu all over again" - Yogi Berra

Edited by z12

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Thai PM Stresses Thailand Is Good Place For Investment"

If you like losing your investment, the only economy that thrives in thailand is the black market economy, funding the police on up to the top politicians. Even Greek bonds would be a better investment than Thailand.

Thailand exported US$229 billion worth of goods last year, up 17% from the previous year, and that is even with a massive flood wiping out a lot of exports for the last 2 months of the year. Exports have been growing rapidly for years. Sounds like there is a pretty healthy non black economy going on.

Not for the farang investors, which is who she is trying to appeal to. The only farang investors that do well here are the triad and the yakuza. It also appears the terrorists are doing a booming business as well. So, unless you are a farang in one of those 3 categories, there is no reason to invest here.

Only the triad and the yakuza...and Toyota, Honda, GM, Western Digitital, Seagate, HP etc

• Like 1

If you like losing your investment, the only economy that thrives in thailand is the black market economy, funding the police on up to the top politicians. Even Greek bonds would be a better investment than Thailand.

Thailand exported US$229 billion worth of goods last year, up 17% from the previous year, and that is even with a massive flood wiping out a lot of exports for the last 2 months of the year. Exports have been growing rapidly for years. Sounds like there is a pretty healthy non black economy going on.

Not for the farang investors, which is who she is trying to appeal to. The only farang investors that do well here are the triad and the yakuza. It also appears the terrorists are doing a booming business as well. So, unless you are a farang in one of those 3 categories, there is no reason to invest here.

Only the triad and the yakuza...and Toyota, Honda, GM, Western Digitital, Seagate, HP etc

PM clone, invest in Thailand, set up your slave sweatshops here. Help me, my country and your company make big BAHT off of the slave labor in slave work conditions and don't worry about polluting the environment, no problem here, just dump it into the river, it washes out to sea, no problem, please invest in Thailand, we exploit it and the people together, live grand life style, poor people don't matter, we elites only matter.

Gap, Wal-Mart, Nike, and Tommy Hilfiger continue to use Sweatshops in Thailand

http://clrlabor.org/.../Mar01-Thai.htm

For the past 20 years sweatshops have been exploiting workers, especially women and children. At the Barbie factory in Bangkok the workers are required to work 12 hours every day, and are paid only five dollars per day.

http://ihscslnews.or...ticle.php?id=38

The Thai government grandly calls it an "export- processing zone." in reality "sweatshop labor camp."

http://www.thestanda...&d_str=20070605

Beyond sweatshops: foreign direct investment and globalization in developing countries By Theodore H. Moran

http://books.google....atshops&f=false

Human Trafficking & Modern-day Slavery

http://gvnet.com/hum...ng/Thailand.htm

Children in Thai sweatshops

http://www.nosweat.o...thai-sweatshops

Edited by z12
  • Like 1

In my experience Thai people have little difficulty getting their message across without facebook..........it might suit you to disagree, it might suit you to put meaning to my words that is not there, it apparently does not suit you that the freedom of speech in Thailand has allowed for the election of Yingluck, and following her election, her invitation as PM to a prestigious world economic summit, where she did her job well in speaking in soft tones and with sincerity to promote Thailand

And there I was thinking that the previous government had restricted free speech. If they had only restricted some avenues of free speech, then all is forgiven.

edit: I see in the other paper, the government will be working with Twitter to censor tweets.

Edited by whybother

In my experience Thai people have little difficulty getting their message across without facebook..........it might suit you to disagree, it might suit you to put meaning to my words that is not there, it apparently does not suit you that the freedom of speech in Thailand has allowed for the election of Yingluck, and following her election, her invitation as PM to a prestigious world economic summit, where she did her job well in speaking in soft tones and with sincerity to promote Thailand

And there I was thinking that the previous government had restricted free speech. If they had only restricted some avenues of free speech, then all is forgiven.

edit: I see in the other paper, the government will be working with Twitter to censor tweets.

I anticipate a firestorm of protest from the forum Thaksinistas who endlessly bashed the last administration's internet interventions.

Edited by Buchholz

I anticipate a firestorm of protest from the forum Thaksinistas who endlessly bashed the last administration's internet interventions.

Unfortunately, until the government is allowed to change certain laws, particularly the LM laws, its hand is forced. Until the LM law is changed, the government is obliged to undertake censorship actions. I am to take it then, that you support the government's attempt to modify the LM law so that the censorship actions will not be required? If so, that's quite a change of beliefs that you nwo profess. I commend you for supporting the government's attempts to remove the vagaries of the LM law.

The trouble with taking extreme partisan positions is that it leads you into wrapping yourself in knots - as you have here.You would make more sense if you made it clearer exactly what you intended to say.Some of us make real efforts to judge different issues on their merits and not always fall into the easy default position based on political prejudice.

You are suggesting ,if I follow you correctly, that the "Thaksinistas" will remain silent in the face of this government's curtailing of freedom of online expression while they were eager to condemn similar infringements by the Abhisit administration.Before answering this point I query the expression "Thaksinistas" not because I object to it being used as a term in knock about discussion but because clarity is needed to understand who exactly we are talking about.The way you and similar people use it is to describe almost anyone who is opposed to military coups, rigged constitutions, feudal oppression and anti democratic authoritarianism The expression covers in other words a very wide spectrum ranging from besotted Thaksin personal loyalists to left wing academics who have no time for Thaksin at all.The blanket term is all very well for banter but under any serious examination it just doesn't make sense when applied to specific circumstances.

As to the more important point I can assure you that among many whom you would describe as "Thaksinistas" there are a great many who strongly object to the curtailment of internet freedom by all Thai governments.It's also rather odd that in this thread and elsewhere on the forum there's not even a hint of the nature of this censorship or the reasons for it.It's somewhat mindless actually to have a discussion without the salient facts being on full view - but that's Thailand for you.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, until the government is allowed to change certain laws, particularly the LM laws, its hand is forced. Until the LM law is changed, the government is obliged to undertake censorship actions. I am to take it then, that you support the government's attempt to modify the LM law so that the censorship actions will not be required? If so, that's quite a change of beliefs that you nwo profess. I commend you for supporting the government's attempts to remove the vagaries of the LM law.

But the government has stated that it has no intention to attempt to change laws. What's more, it is spending even MORE money putting censorship in place.

It would be quite easy for the government to simply not put too much effort into censorship for LM purposes, but it seems it's more intent than even the previous government on the censorship.

And given that the government have the support of "the Thai people" through the "landslide election win", surely they're allowed to do what ever they want.

Edited by whybother

There's little to no assurances even if you're a big business. Just ask that German firm who built the tollway system what happened. The German government had to step in and force the issue of payment after more than a decade of being ignored. Take a look at Carlsberg as well as the current issues over DTAC. If you want to look at smaller businesses who got cheated do a search on that guy who owned the Turkey farm. C.P. came in and basically forced him out. There have been several joint foreign/Thai agribusiness investors who got screwed too. Some of them recently like the joint Taiwanese owned plantation.

There are a lot more stories out there.

lol CP didn't do anything to the turkey farmer, that guy was just an idiot and everything was owned by his wife. It's not CP's fault the guy was a fool and screwed by his 'wife'. The german tollway firm only owned less than 10% of a concession to RUN a tollway, when the parent company went bankrupt the creditors didn't want to wait for a return on their investment and sought to liquidate everything using legal means to immediately get their money rather than wait two decades. They were being payed through operating the tollway concession, there was no refusal to pay and they were compensated for the lower toll rate with an extension ofthe contract, the creditors just wanted it NOW as they did not want to operate a business. Neither of these are really good examples. And it's not like business back in America isn't just as cutthroat and willing to use lawyers, money, and sleazy means to get what they want.

So what about DTAC, and the fact that the farmer was forced to have the business in the wife's name due to THai investment laws. If it had been in his name he probably would have survived the takeover.
  • Like 1

I am to take it then, that you support the government's attempt to modify the LM law

Yingluck's government is not attempting to modify the LM law.

the government's attempts to remove the vagaries of the LM law.

see above

If I direct you to your own source of wisdom, the Nation, will you be satisfied?. The group referenced below is made up of PAD supporters that have attacked the PTP government for its desire to allow a review of the LM law.

Academic group pushes for tougher lese majeste law

Pravit Rojanaphruk January 14, 2012 1:00 am

A new group of royalist academics from eight universities issued a manifesto yesterday attacking those who want to amend or abolish the lese majeste law and vowing to fight what they called the monopoly of Thai politics by a "capitalist political party".The group, calling themselves Siam Prachapiwat, or Siamese People Progress, is composed of 26 academics from eight universities including Chulalongkorn and Thammasat. The group said no one should touch the lese majeste law and that the penalty for violating it should be made more severe, because there exists a movement to defame and abolish the monarchy institution.

Komsan Pho-kong, a lecturer of law at Sukhothai Thammathirat University and a member of the group, said the "real problem" is not the lese majeste law but "an attempt by some to establish a new Thai state", referring to the perceived threat of republicanism.

http://www.nationmul...w-30173697.html

In consideration of the above, surely you can not deny that the government is accused of going soft on the review of the LM law. As long as the law is on the books, the government is forced to enforce it. When the government tries to work with those that want a change in the law,it is subject to hostile abuse as is the case by this offspring of PAD. In the face of such a situation, how then would you have the government respond? It is obliged to enforce the law because if it does not the PAD types will cause a stink, What is your solution?

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

<snip>

In consideration of the above, surely you can not deny that the government is accused of going soft on the review of the LM law. As long as the law is on the books, the government is forced to enforce it. When the government tries to work with those that want a change in the law,it is subject to hostile abuse as is the case by this offspring of PAD. In the face of such a situation, how then would you have the government respond? It is obliged to enforce the law because if it does not the PAD types will cause a stink, What is your solution?

The government is not forced to spend 400 million baht to set up a war room to search for LM content and shut down web sites.

I am to take it then, that you support the government's attempt to modify the LM law

Yingluck's government is not attempting to modify the LM law.

the government's attempts to remove the vagaries of the LM law.

see above

If I direct you to your own source of wisdom, the Nation, will you be satisfied?. The group referenced below is made up of PAD supporters that have attacked the PTP government for its desire to allow a review of the LM law.

Academic group pushes for tougher lese majeste law

<snipped>

Why would you think The Nation is my "source of wisdom"? blink.png

I read news from all over the world... and that's just the newspaper aspect of my "sources of wisdom".

Anyway, your frivolity aside, if you wish to contest my statement, show me something where specifically, as said, Yingluck's government is attempting to modify the LM law.

Just 4 days ago in the other paper, on her first voicing of her stance on the LM law, she vowed to protect it and her government will not amend the LM law.

From Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm comes:

"The [Pheu Thai] party will never change this law. I will also oppose anyone who proposes that it is changed."

Sounds pretty clear to me, with no room for wiggling.

There is no "review", as you say.

There is no "government tries to work with those that want a change in the law", as you say.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Thai PM stresses Thailand is good place for investment

Bangkok Poll: Economists believe Thai economy at its lowest in 18 years

BANGKOK, 30 January 2012 (NNT) - According to Bangkok Poll, conducted by Bangkok University, Thai economists believe that confidence in the country’s economy is at its lowest in 18 years, but that it will improve in 3-6 months' time.

The Bangkok Poll was conducted among 72 economists from 32 leading organizations about their opinions on the Thai economy during the next 3-6 months.

The poll has revealed that confidence index is currently at 28.41, indicating that those surveyed believe that the economy is at the weakest point in 18 months; resulting from their declining confidence in the nation's export, private investments, and foreign tourists; all of which stemmed from the devastating flood in 2011 and the terrorism alert issued by the American Embassy in Thailand at the beginning of this year.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-30 footer_n.gif

I doubt any of the hard drive manufacturers you listed saw exports increase last year since they were all pretty much under water...

Thai PM stresses Thailand is good place for investment

Bangkok Poll: Economists believe Thai economy at its lowest in 18 years

Bank of Thailand concerned over economy facing risk from internal factors

BANGKOK, 30 January 2012 (NNT) – In the face of impact from the ongoing uncertainty of the global economy, the Bank of Thailand is concerned that the nation may risk losing more investor confidence due to political instability.

BoT Department of Domestic Economy Senior Director Methee Supapong stated that the ongoing uncertainty in the global economic picture, especially the recovery of USA’s economy and the European public debt crisis, continues to be a worldwide risk and, as well, a main concern of the BoT.

According to Mr. Methee, even though the American economy is gradually getting back on its feet, the US government must continue to work to regain investors' confidence. Meanwhile, the European market is also seeing declining confidence given the economic crisis. However, Mr. Methee is confident that every country by now must have prepared measures to handle possible risks from the world economic situation. The BoT has also established measures to handle possible inflation risks, which may be caused by the public sector's attempts to stimulate the country's economy. However, he stated that inflation rate in 2012 will not be as worrying as that of the previous year. Although the rate will be high, it will also be stable.

Nevertheless, Mr. Methee expressed concerns about possible political tensions stemming from conflicts.

Political instability will hurt the whole picture of the nation’s economy and will be detrimental to Thailand in terms of local and foreign investor confidence.

Meanwhile, he stated that the trend of foreign investment in Thailand in 2012 depends on how much confidence the government managed to create among investors as regards its water management plan.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-30 footer_n.gif

<snip>

The government is not forced to spend 400 million baht to set up a war room to search for LM content and shut down web sites.

Briefly, it was clear that one of the accusations against this gov't during the election campaign was that it would not be patriotic enough. Not being perceived as being patriotic enough, remains, IMO, one of the primary threats against the PTP. In this light, it should not be surprising that the gov't makes the enforcement of LM laws a priority.

Briefly, it was clear that one of the accusations against this gov't during the election campaign was that it would not be patriotic enough. Not being perceived as being patriotic enough, remains, IMO, one of the primary threats against the PTP. In this light, it should not be surprising that the gov't makes the enforcement of LM laws a priority.

Yes. I just get a giggle out of the fact that one of the main complaints by the PTP and red shirts was the shutting down of websites by the previous government, yet this government spend even more money doing the exact same thing.

I invested 1,500,000 baht here in a Garment business. Had 49% shares, 22 Thai workers and was bringing in an average of around 20,000 THB per day profit.

One night while I was sleeping my Thai partner had 2 trucks come into my factory and loaded everything including electrical fixtures in to the truck and was gone. I went to the shop the next day at 8:00 am to find it empty and all workers gone.

Went to the police, Lawyers etc. and was simply told "som nam na."

lucky it was so little I know many whove lost tens of millions to Thai partners and to be fair to forang vultures hanging around

Yes. I just get a giggle out of the fact that one of the main complaints by the PTP and red shirts was the shutting down of websites by the previous government, yet this government spend even more money doing the exact same thing.

I don't like it, I don't agree with it, and it is open to abuse and does get abused. But I recognize that this could be a defensive strategy for political survival.

So far I haven't seen reports of blatant censorship targeting the PAD or Democrats. Has anyone else?

I'd say the odds are pretty good she's speaking to an empty room and that's just a photo backdrop in the picture.

post-25601-0-36560900-1327759566_thumb.j

Why do you post misleading crap like that? You know that it was a main room event don't you? So why do this?

Instead of being childish, go and look at the event here; http://www.weforum.o...al-meeting-2012

Look at the audience. Are you going to retract your misleading comment now?

It is obvious that no one bothered to watch the speech. Keynote speakers give their speeches in their native language and the PM was no different. her opening speech was in Thai. I find it a somewhat odd that the initial comments of some were based upon asking why she was going and what she was going to do. Now that it comes out the PM was invited as a keynote speaker at a major event and that she was there to bolster investment and the Thailand brand, only derisive comments are offered.

I'd say the odds are pretty good she's speaking to an empty room and that's just a photo backdrop in the picture.

post-25601-0-36560900-1327759566_thumb.j

Why do you post misleading crap like that? You know that it was a main room event don't you? So why do this?

Instead of being childish, go and look at the event here; http://www.weforum.o...al-meeting-2012

Look at the audience. Are you going to retract your misleading comment now?

It is obvious that no one bothered to watch the speech. Keynote speakers give their speeches in their native language and the PM was no different. her opening speech was in Thai. I find it a somewhat odd that the initial comments of some were based upon asking why she was going and what she was going to do. Now that it comes out the PM was invited as a keynote speaker at a major event and that she was there to bolster investment and the Thailand brand, only derisive comments are offered.

shes still a thief same as her brother but if you want to stay naive who am I to stop you in your stupidity Who cares anyway just enjoy Thailand and whatever you do dont do business here except maybe property or shares then you can be on coattails of Taksin and other elite robber barons

I don't like it, I don't agree with it, and it is open to abuse and does get abused. But I recognize that this could be a defensive strategy for political survival.

So far I haven't seen reports of blatant censorship targeting the PAD or Democrats. Has anyone else?

That would mean that they are targeting the same people that the Democrats were targeting.

That would mean that they are targeting the same people that the Democrats were targeting.

I don't know. We'll have to see what is done with the LM war-room.

She was a keynote speaker at the opening conference called "Women as the Way Forward” intended to exchange opinions on the values and roles of female leaders.

That a puppet, that hasn't held any job that her brother hasn't assigned for her, elected as a proxy for the only reason that she has the same family name as her brother and a pretty face, to be a keynote speaker on a conference called "Women as the Way Forward" its an insult to women in real positions of leadership that have earned their status through their own skills and struggles.

F****** Yingluck talking about the values and roles of female leaders

Pathetic.

She was a keynote speaker at the opening conference called "Women as the Way Forward” intended to exchange opinions on the values and roles of female leaders.

That a puppet, that hasn't held any job that her brother hasn't assigned for her, elected as a proxy for the only reason that she has the same family name as her brother and a pretty face, to be a keynote speaker on a conference called "Women as the Way Forward" its an insult to women in real positions of leadership that have earned their status through their own skills and struggles.

Pathetic.

You really are going to love it when she and her party get re-elected.

i can see your smile already.

Pathetic.

You really are going to love it when she and her party get re-elected.

i can see your smile already.

Nah... not worth to reply.

More precisely, they're spending even more money to block even more websites.

Pathetic.

As noted previously in Yingluck WEF thread #2, Yingluck was not a keynote speaker.

She had 6 brief minutes of opening remarks, not a keynote address, delivered to the international audience in Thai, with a farang male translating into English on the translation headsets.

Edited by Buchholz