BMA Confident In Measures To Handle Heavy Rain

Lite Beer

BMA confident in measures to handle heavy rain

BANGKOK, 29 January 2012 - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is confident that it will be able to handle unusually-heavy rain the capital has been seeing while asking city residents to remain calm.

Mr. Sanya Cheenimit, Director of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)'s Drainage and Sewerage Department, said that even though rainfall in recent days has been heavy, the fact that the downpour has not been ceaseless means the city's drainage system can still cope with the situation efficiently.

He is asking the citizens of Bangkok to remain calm and not to worry much about possible flooding as the city has prepared its prevention system.

Mr. Sanya adds that Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra will hold a press conference this week to explain all measures to the public.

According to the Drainage and Sewerage Department, urgent simultaneous tasks of sewerage cleanup and water pump maintenance will begin in February to cope with the rainy season, which is expected to arrive early this year.

In doing so, the BMA will collaborate with the Royal Thai Army and the Corrections Department to complete both tasks.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-29 footer_n.gif

Notice how in Thailand, they almost never address the bigger problems, or underlying issues. The issue here is hardly good drainage in Bangkok. I believe the issue is how much water will run off from the dams up north? What has "Yingbat" done to address this? What kind of coherent water management policy have they put into place? How many billions of baht have been spent on it? What has changed from last year? One more year of flooding like last year, and I would imagine the multinationals will lose interest in staying in Thailand. Incompetence can only be tolerated for so long.

Not sure but I think I read this back in October of 2011. Sure they are, I wonder if the Japanese believe this.

If it floods the industrial zones again this year many Japanese companies will say sawadee to Thailand....sure to heck can't run a businesss if you get flooded frequently, have major repair costs, lose production capability, lose customers, etc...etc....etc. And if the industrial zones north of Bangkok flood again you can bet Bangkok will flood again. Hopefully the govt will do a much better job in managing the water in the north and central part of the country this year, which in turn should prevent any flooding in the industrial zones and Bangkok. The govt really blew water/flood management last year.

Water in two largest dams started to be released

BANGKOK, 29 January 2012 (NNT) – Water in the Bhumibol and Sirikit dams has started to be discharged in accordance with the water management plan for cultivation during the dry season while the volume of water in their reservoirs will also be made lowered in order to increase the space to retain the unusually high amount of water expected in the coming rainy season.

Mr. Kitti Tancharoen, Assistant Governor of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT)'s Hydro Power Plant, revealed that the combined volume of water retained in both of the dams was currently about 16.2 billion cubic meters, which is 6.6 billion cubic meters higher than that of last year.

A committee working on plans for dry season planting, which comprise officials from several agencies including the Department of Agriculture, the Rice Department, the Royal Irrigation Department and the Department of Water resources, will work together to come up with proper water management plan for the dry season this year.

The committee earlier agreed that the volume of water to be discharged from the Bhumibol and Sirikit dams during the dry season (from November 2011- April 2012) would be 7.2 billion and 4.6 billion cubic meters respectively.

The Assistant Governor of EGAT’s Hydro Power Plant indicated that when the dry season ends, the level of water in both dams should decrease to stay within the lower rule curve. Thus, they should be able to keep more water in the rainy season, or up to 5.9 billion and 4 billion cubic meters higher respectively.

However, Mr. Kitti said the plan would be flexible and adjustable according to the incoming water to maximize their capacity to retain possible extremely large amount of water like in the past year.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-29 footer_n.gif

Sirikit Dam discharges more water ahead of rainy season

image_2012012916313028CE198A-CC0C-D3EE-967F815401E2B0C7.jpg

UTTARADIT, Jan 29 – Sirikit Dam in Uttaradit province has released more water, aiming to cut retention capacity to less than 50 percent in preparation for the next rainy season.

Thanarat Phumimakasikorn, Director of the Sirikit Dam, said that the Sirikit Dam was contacted by the Royal Irrigation Department’s water management committee to increase water discharge from the dam, in line with the government’s policy to increase discharge volume to 44 million cubic metres from 30-35 million cubic metres per day released over January 27 to April.

It targeted to a retention capacity of less than 50 percent, as it assessed increased rainfall in the upcoming rainy season. The dam on Sunday released 46 million cubic metres per day and will raise the volume of discharged water to 50 million cubic metres per day on January 31 in accordance with the plan.

Regarding downstream areas, according to a survey on downstream Nan River, there is no report of significant impact. However, low-lying farmland in Uttaradit’s Tron district and Phichai district may eventually be impacted by the release of 50 million cubic metres.

He said authorities warned local residents and explained to them why such a large amount of water needed to be discharged from the dam to better create understanding. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-01-29

What heavy rains have we been experiencing in an around BKK? I haven't seen any?

There was a sprinkle in Don Meuang and Meung Ake last week.

Mind even after that little fall, I did observe that the roads were 4" deep in water, as the sub-road level drainages were still full prior to a little rain; so much for the continued underground drainage alleged to have continued. The ground is still saturated, all the way from Ayutthaya to BKK itself. Any slight risk of heavy rains and there will be no way to avoid flooding in the current circumstances. So we will no-doubtedly be in for 'here it comes again' sometime between April and August.

I did have a chuckle at the title of this thread though, "The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is confident that it will be able to handle unusually-heavy rain the capital has been seeing" - as nowhere has been seeing any unusually heavy rain!! clap2.gif

YET! (meaning - Just don't poop again, yet, lads)

-mel.

What heavy rains have we been experiencing in an around BKK? I haven't seen any?

It hasn't rained in your area but it rained a lot in Western Bangkok. Dusit witnessed 6 heavy downpours this January, which I believe in accumulation is more than 100 mm of rain.

Talking about the article I haven't seen any work to be done regarding the drainage system. I would say the situation is worse, especially in ex-flooded areas. The sewage system is full of garbage and sand from the left sandbags. I won't be surprised to see more flash floods during heavy rains this year.

It hasn't rained in your area but it rained a lot in Western Bangkok. Dusit witnessed 6 heavy downpours this January, which I believe in accumulation is more than 100 mm of rain.

Talking about the article I haven't seen any work to be done regarding the drainage system. I would say the situation is worse, especially in ex-flooded areas. The sewage system is full of garbage and sand from the left sandbags. I won't be surprised to see more flash floods during heavy rains this year.

Concurred. I was being a tad sarcastic with regard to 'unusual' rains. ;)

I also concur with a greater likelihood of much more flash flooding too, as previously flooded areas are already saturated and water is levelled at just below ground level as we write. What would be horrific, and perish the thought, would be long term flash flooding which has nowhere to drain, and then an additional follow up of flood waters similar to last year, but earlier this year. Catastrophic comes to mind somewhat?

And it's all possible, of course :(

-mel.