Apply Tourist Visa When Previously Over Stayed

Would getting a tourist visa from a neighboring country be a problem when my friend has over stayed before ?

Also; which one of the following is preferred, if over stay cannot be avoided ?

scenario a. Over stay welcome by 21 days.

scenario b. Immigration office issue 7 day extension & then overstay an extra 14 days also.

No, you should still be able to get a Tourist Visa if you have had an over stay before

I have an overstay stamp in my passport and was able to get a Tourist Visa since.

A lot might depend on where you appy for the TV. I believe certain Thai consulates

take more time when they check you passport before actually issueing the visa

I never said that he couldn't get a new tourist visa if he overstayed. But it's just simple mathematics:

1. 21 day overstay: 500 x 21 = 10500 baht

2. 7 day extension plus 14 day overstay: 1900 baht plus 14x500 = 7000 baht. Total 8900 baht

3. 2 border runs: a lot cheaper!

If he tried #2 he most likely would have to have a ticket out of Thailand during the 7 days so it wouldn't really work.

Edited by wayned

AND dont forget if you or he gets caught by the Police for something minor or a routine check and is discovered on overstay you could soon be eating fish-head soup in a detention center. DO IT RIGHT and avoid any possible problems. As said, two land borders 2 x 15 days or 1 air arrival for 30 days are the best options.

I had to pay an 18,000 baht over stay once on my way into Lao to get my Non-B visa.

At the Thai boarder they were all laughing (in good taste) and saying "You come back Thailand ok?" They thought it was great.

Went in the next day, applied for my "B" and picked it up the next day. No problems.

PS: As some posters said, I wouldn't have wanted to get caught during that time or I could have been in serious trouble.

Edited by Gone