What'S Wrong With Some People Who Live Here?

tolstoy

Sometimes I mai loo i am doing it....

Very revealing. You write 'mai loo' and not 'mai roo'. Nobody with a Central Thai accent says 'loo'. You have been spending too much time in places with many Issan people...

All central Thai say "loo" instead of "roo" unless they are speaking 'proper'.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to be clear, I have no problem with using the word "farang" or "soi" or a couple of other examples. However, I detest native English speakers who are talking to other native speakers and saying things like, "Me like go byteo mack mack." giggle.gif

We've one of these - he's nicknamed "him speak me" and he happily chatters away to all foreigners in this pidgin. He's harmless, but genuinely believes he's showing his mastery of communication. Even the Norwegians find it funny! He comes here for about five months a year and I do wonder if he carries the habit back to his local pub in England. "Sawatdee crap, me want pint Tetley's bitter, chai mai, crap".

He's also a great wai-er - anything or anyone that moves gets a good wai-ing, usually the full job, hands above the head, knees and back deeply bent to show his respect. Adults, kids and (most disconcerting), the assembled foreigners which, once again, even the Norwegians find funny.

But there you go. Lucky me not same same him.

Made oi laaf.

One for Harry Enfield methinks!

Ulysses, that is exactly the poster I had in mind when writing this.

As for the use of Fallang, I just mean when someone uses it every sentence. I was talking to a guy who was only here for about 2 weeks and he must have used that word 20 times in a two minute conversation. Personally I use the word tourist when reffering to the drifters that come and go and expats when talking about locals (dare I say immigrants). What is wrong with saying " I talked with two guys lastnight" Why do you need to say "I talked with two fallang lastnight"?

As for other Thai words mixed in a sentence. I just think it sounds retarded. But I don't make a big deal about it. Many of the older long term expats that I know here do it. I just ingore it no big deal. But it is just the excessive use of Thai words in a sentence when it isn't necessary.

I just personally feel that if I were to do it also, I would be reducing my language skills not improving them. Adding new words into the lexicon is great but not when only a small percentage actually know what you are talking about.

Maybe he wanted to be more specific than just 'guys', and anyway 'westerner' is more of a mouthful than 'farang'.

Well. This thread has me deeply worried. As someone who has, indeed, been known to throw the odd Thai word into a conversation with a fellow westerner, I now realize how wrong I have been for all these years. I will try to change my ways to meet with the standards of the self appointed "style police".

To avoid my transgressing again, maybe we should have a list of officially sanctioned Thai words that a westerner living in Thailand is allowed to use. Could I please have a ruling on:

Ajarn

Mooban

Greng jai

I also need a definitive ruling on "Soi" - mainly because "see you down Lane/street/alley/sideroad Cowboy" is liable to leave me drinking alone.

I am also quite gutted to have to lose "same same" from my lexicon, which, curiously, while English also seems to have offended the style police.

Sigh. The difficulties of living in Thailand eh?

Exactly . What about this one then ? "Hallo , hallo hallo ?" Thai person answering the phone . Although my missus goes "hallaaeeee" because it sounds more sophoisticated .

For those that complain about saying street instead of road. I don't know what English speaking country you are from but it is quite common to use them interchangerably. Saying my street or my road isn't going to confuse anyone. Yes if you are translating Thai into English then yes you are right soi is closer to road. However if I were to say to you that no one on my street was a tosser. Would you say "do you mean your soi or thanon?"

As for the Greng Jai, since there is an equivalent notion in the word guilt, then yes you sound like a prat speaking to other native english speakers saying I feel Greng Jai kissing your bargirl.

The use of Ajarn since it is a title is acceptable. However if you are just a teacher or a language trainer and not actually titled, calling yourself ajarn is quite arrogant even in Thai. Many Thais might call it to you but it is a little arrogant to refer to oneself as ajarn if you do not hold that title.

Why would you say mooban when community or neighborhood is quite as accurate unless you actually live in a village somewhere? If it is part of the proper name then no big deal.

Imagine that you go to visit another country and all the English speakers you met said the local equivalent of those words to you rather than the English words would it seem strange?

It is one thing to adapt and adopt the local culture, language and even manners. But I am specifically talking about those that remain on the outside and primarily hang out with other foreigners but use bargirl vocabulary with other native English speakers. That is just odd.

In my experience those that do not hang out at bars and chase those kind of women that frequent there, tend not to use these expressions.

Those that don't mind using or hearing the word fallang, I wonder if a Thai person walked up to you and said "hey fallang what are you doing here?" What if that person actually knew your name but insisted on calling you fallang as your name. Would that bother you at all?

It is one thing to hear it in general conversation or in the way that we would say Asians... but to walk up to a stranger and say "hey Asian what do you want to eat"? Isn't that a little offensive?

The use of Ajarn since it is a title is acceptable. However if you are just a teacher or a language trainer and not actually titled, calling yourself ajarn is quite arrogant even in Thai. Many Thais might call it to you but it is a little arrogant to refer to oneself as ajarn if you do not hold that title.

Working at a university I do hold that title and even my boss refers me as ajarn. However, I never introduce myself to Thai or foreigner as ajarn as it does seem ostentatious to me. When a Thai asks me what I do or where I work I just tell them 'university'. The vast majority of the time they will than ask 'ajarn?' and I will nod or say yes in agreement. So I never refer to myself as ajarn Tywais. biggrin.png

Working at a university I do hold that title and even my boss refers me as ajarn. However, I never introduce myself to Thai or foreigner as ajarn as it does seem ostentatious to me. When a Thai asks me what I do or where I work I just tell them 'university'. The vast majority of the time they will than ask 'ajarn?' and I will nod or say yes in agreement. So I never refer to myself as ajarn Tywais. biggrin.png

But interestingly, many Thai Ajarns do indeed refer to themselves as "Ajarn whoever"

The only thing I can say about this thread is.....why sweat the small stuff?

The defenders, critics, and apologists within this thread almost appear to have adapted [even fabricated] to some social PC standards. Bizarre and trivial angst prevail.

True Tywais.

As you said, it isn't uncommon for Thais to refer to you as Ajarn especially students. But most Thais will refer to themselves as Kru when talking to each other.

Many part time teachers at CMU with only a BA will refer to themselves as Ajarn. A little pretentious I think. I, like you, just say that I teach at the University. I was an adjunct lecturer for a while in the US. I would never dare call myself professor. I just introduced myself by first name, but in the Art field it is a little less formal anyway.

Edited by tolstoy

For those that complain about saying street instead of road. I don't know what English speaking country you are from but it is quite common to use them interchangerably. Saying my street or my road isn't going to confuse anyone. Yes if you are translating Thai into English then yes you are right soi is closer to road. However if I were to say to you that no one on my street was a tosser. Would you say "do you mean your soi or thanon?"

As for the Greng Jai, since there is an equivalent notion in the word guilt, then yes you sound like a prat speaking to other native english speakers saying I feel Greng Jai kissing your bargirl.

Why would you say mooban when community or neighborhood is quite as accurate unless you actually live in a village somewhere? If it is part of the proper name then no big deal.

Imagine that you go to visit another country and all the English speakers you met said the local equivalent of those words to you rather than the English words would it seem strange?

It is one thing to adapt and adopt the local culture, language and even manners. But I am specifically talking about those that remain on the outside and primarily hang out with other foreigners but use bargirl vocabulary with other native English speakers. That is just odd.

In my experience those that do not hang out at bars and chase those kind of women that frequent there, tend not to use these expressions.

Those that don't mind using or hearing the word fallang, I wonder if a Thai person walked up to you and said "hey fallang what are you doing here?" What if that person actually knew your name but insisted on calling you fallang as your name. Would that bother you at all?

It is one thing to hear it in general conversation or in the way that we would say Asians... but to walk up to a stranger and say "hey Asian what do you want to eat"? Isn't that a little offensive?

So it's not okay to use a Thai word here or there however despite what it says on the sign at the top of the means of access to your abode one is allowed to interchange?

Do I live on an estate, a gated community or a compound? This is all so confusing.

Imposition doesn't necessarily make me feel guilty but blatant use of double standards, shifting or inconsistent argument and dead horse floggery does make my jai a little bit lorn, not mak mak mind!

They call me Mr. Tibbs but sometimes Khun Tibbs.

Still to each his own, if that's alright with those that set the standards.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The only thing I can say about this thread is.....why sweat the small stuff?

The defenders, critics, and apologists within this thread almost appear to have adapted [even fabricated] to some social PC standards. Bizarre and trivial angst prevail.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Xen, read carefully. I am talking about two westerners (native English speakers primarily) using Thai words in their conversations. I am not talking about what you say with your GF or partner.

As to the posters about Soi. Yes, using soi when talking about the name of a street is appropriate since that is the name of the street. But when saying "the people on my soi..." is a little retarded when it is just as easy and accurate to say "on my street".

Street is the English equivalent of thanon not soi.

That would be 'road'

SC

Street Road - neither is a side street or alley...

Xen, read carefully. I am talking about two westerners (native English speakers primarily) using Thai words in their conversations. I am not talking about what you say with your GF or partner.

As to the posters about Soi. Yes, using soi when talking about the name of a street is appropriate since that is the name of the street. But when saying "the people on my soi..." is a little retarded when it is just as easy and accurate to say "on my street".

Street is the English equivalent of thanon not soi.

That would be 'road'

SC

Street Road - neither is a side street or alley...

Alley is what I was thinking too, but IMO soi works better when in Thailand if talking to someone who knows the place.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Alley is what I was thinking too, but IMO soi works better when in Thailand if talking to someone who knows the place.

Of course.

When in Rome, use the Roman's language.

A lingua franca - sort to speak.

It's maybe easier if you refer to the Chinese:

Lu: Road; Thanon

Gie: street: Soi

???: Lane; ??? I forget the words.

Chinese is very well organised in this respect, particularly in the Republic, though maybe less so in HK or the Peoples' Rep.

Anyway, for all your criticism of our lingua franca, yez are all raj gajies as far as I am concerned, and I am minded of my brother's friend's comment "aye, but gaun set on yag, eh?"

SC

Working at a university I do hold that title and even my boss refers me as ajarn. However, I never introduce myself to Thai or foreigner as ajarn as it does seem ostentatious to me. When a Thai asks me what I do or where I work I just tell them 'university'. The vast majority of the time they will than ask 'ajarn?' and I will nod or say yes in agreement. So I never refer to myself as ajarn Tywais.

Lucky you. I've spent so much time here I forgot my own name.

Working at a university I do hold that title and even my boss refers me as ajarn. However, I never introduce myself to Thai or foreigner as ajarn as it does seem ostentatious to me. When a Thai asks me what I do or where I work I just tell them 'university'. The vast majority of the time they will than ask 'ajarn?' and I will nod or say yes in agreement. So I never refer to myself as ajarn Tywais.

Lucky you. I've spent so much time here I forgot my own name.

I call myself SC so's others remember. Luckily the forum spellchecker stops them writing it in fool

SC

If I am talking to a farang in Thailand I have no problem using the term "soi" when that is what it is called here. I'm not going to use the word "road" or "street" when in fact the little passageway actually IS a soi. However, if I was back in Canada talking to someone who had never been in Thailand I would use the term "lane" or "alley" which would be as close as I could to describe what a soi actually is. A soi is actually a unique little passageway that doesn't really have much in common with roads or streets in North America or Europe. I guess a "lane" in London, England would be as close as I could come to describing a soi in Thailand.

A soi is actually a unique little passageway that doesn't really have much in common with roads or streets in North America or Europe. I guess a "lane" in London, England would be as close as I could come to describing a soi in Thailand.

Ever been to Soi Asoke. Or Ekkamai? Or Thonglor? They are not "unique little passageways".

Think of a soi as a number.