Retirement Visa

First, do you have a retirement visa that was obtained in your home country or did you come in on a Non-O visa and get a one year extension here in Thailand? If you're here on a one year extension based on retirement then you need only return to renew your extension for another year. The earliest you can do this is one month before your anniversary date. Further, if you're here on a one year extension then you must buy a re-entry permit before you leave or your extension is void when you return.

Edited by Sojourner

You can be out of the country as much as you want, but have to be in country for the extension of stay. You can apply for the extension of stay from 30 days before your current permission to stay ends. In case of necessity immigration will often allow the extension a bit earlyer than 30 days.

Don't forget the re-entry permit.

If you are not in Thailand for the renewal of your permision to stay, you will have to get a new visa from a consulate.

"If you're here on a one year extension based on retirement then you need only return to renew your extension for another year. The earliest you can do this is one month before your anniversary date. Further, if you're here on a one year extension then you must buy a re-entry permit before you leave or your extension is void when you return."

A bit confusing?

Different items - part one is about ability to get a new retirement extension if out of country for most of the year (are there restrictions - there are not).

Part two is about requirement to have a re-entry permit for any travel after on an extension of stay to keep it alive.

I would like to take advantage of renewing my retirement visa/extension early. If, for example I go down to get it renewed 15 days prior to its expiration, are they going to move the expiration date of the new extension up by 15 days or will it stay the same as the present date of the month?

Can someone please tell me where to download the extension and reentry forms - have been trying for an hour but can't seem to find the right place. Also have been hearing rumors about them requiring copies of all used pages in your passports and documents from your landlord which they have never asked me about before. I've had my present retirement status for over six years now!

I would like to take advantage of renewing my retirement visa/extension early. If, for example I go down to get it renewed 15 days prior to its expiration, are they going to move the expiration date of the new extension up by 15 days or will it stay the same as the present date of the month?

No. Absolutely you do NOT lose any days on your new extension by applying for your extension earlier than your current permission to stay date. Also, most offices will have no problem with 30 days early with no excuse needed.

If you are not in Thailand for the renewal of your permision to stay, you will have to get a new visa from a consulate.

Well, if no real hassle, in time or effort, this would probably be the best way to go, particularly if you can get a Non Imm O.

But, entering on a visa exempt stamp, then converting in-country to a Non Imm O, would also work. And, presumably, since you had planned to renew your extension already, your financials are already lined-up. The only thing that was missing was timeliness. Cost of 2000 baht conversion fee is a wash with the cost of getting a Non Imm O visa at a consulate, not to mention no hassle or time wasted with a consulate (and, of course, you'd still have the 2000 baht conversion fee if you obtained a Tourist, vice Non Imm, visa).

Probably would need to get an exit airline ticket to assure getting aboard. But, you could get a refundable eticket, printed-out at your computer -- again, avoiding the hassle of visiting/mailing a consulate to obtain a visa.

The advertised conversion window used to be 21 days remaining on your visa exempt entry stamp. But less time has been reported, including "15 days" remaining at Chiang Mai Immigration. Sooner is better, however. "Too late" is not what you want to hear for the second time.