10 Reasons Why I Left.......... And Never Came Back Again!

ExpatOilWorker

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lessons are sometimes hard learned. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would wager that one day you will start to recognize some of the same traits in Thailand that you have listed as reasons for leaving SA. The moral is that every dogs has fleas, just pick one with the least.

The moral is that every dogs has fleas, just pick one with the least.

The quote above is the best way to look at it.

Some people come here and rarely see a flea, while others see fleas under every nook and cranny. The flea circus contains the constant whiners and constant defenders who can both put on a show worthy of any junior high school spat. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Well done, ExpatOilDude. At first read, I of course assumed that you were another dissatisified customer trying to tell us how sucky Thailand was and that you're leaving for greener pastures. But you're right, there are much worse places than Thailand and they don't need to be confined to South America. I wish some of our more disgruntled expats would take a hike to Cambodia or the PI and give them a try.

Prediction: The whiner/whinger brigade will be out soon and will be just tripping over themselves to say that the list applies to Thailand as well. To those folks: I fart in your general direction.

X2

Well said, expatoilworker. I sometimes think that my rose coloured glasses have been surgically implanted. Even the things that I know are not right are also some of the things I enjoy about Thailand. It keeps life being an adventure instead of a nanny state.

Edited by IanForbes
  • Like 1

Well here is 10 reasons that i left

1/councill tax that you got nothing for

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

4/no police on the streets

5/traffic speed cameras all over the place

6/massive car parking charges

7/overcharging for the simpelest repairs

8/ massive cost of petrol

9/ nanny state

10/motorists being targeted and not criminals

i could go on and on but you guessed it thats why i left Britain

so glad i am here in Thailand ,its more like Britain was in the 60s and 70 s not so many rules and regulations.

You could have halved that list by getting rid of the car! :lol:

• Like 2

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

so glad i am here in Thailand ,its more like Britain was in the 60s and 70 s not so many rules and regulations.

clap2.gif Great post

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

You could have halved that list by getting rid of the car! laugh.png

Yeah thats true, but by removing the car the list would of gone out of control. Have you ever tried to use public transport in the UK. crazy.gif

• Like 2

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

how true then i could have walked the 25 miles to work ,or i could have cought the train (change twice) then the bus to within 3 miles of my office and walked the rest of the way ,or got a taxi ,

thanks for the advice, i had never thought of getting rid of the car.clap2.gif

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

how true then i could have walked the 25 miles to work ,or i could have cought the train (change twice) then the bus to within 3 miles of my office and walked the rest of the way ,or got a taxi ,

thanks for the advice, i had never thought of getting rid of the car.clap2.gif

No worries. I bet you wish had thought of it now.

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Yeah thats true, but by removing the car the list would of gone out of control. Have you ever tried to use public transport in the UK. crazy.gif

Yes

Two Bus companies and 1 every 15 minutes! 6-30 am to 11 pm.

Edited by MAJIC

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

believe it or not it really isn't that bad...all depends where you live, quite safe too...not denying that there are no hang ups of living back here, still there are everywhere really isn't there...unless you've just arrived or on holiday.

Well done, ExpatOilDude. At first read, I of course assumed that you were another dissatisified customer trying to tell us how sucky Thailand was and that you're leaving for greener pastures. But you're right, there are much worse places than Thailand and they don't need to be confined to South America. I wish some of our more disgruntled expats would take a hike to Cambodia or the PI and give them a try.

Prediction: The whiner/whinger brigade will be out soon and will be just tripping over themselves to say that the list applies to Thailand as well. To those folks: I fart in your general direction.

Yet, this same bitching crowd will be insisting upon staying around.

Ain't life grand?coffee1.gif

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Pity you don't list, all the good things in life maybe a reflection on your attitude to life. I also See many of these whining posts about the UK, but many come back for NHS treatment or when the Dream has become a night mare. UK one of the safest places to live in the world, don't read to many papers and believe every thing.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed my time in Thailand for the past 8-10 years, but I'm heading back home (Colorado) for awhile.

For myself, it's good to spend a little time in Thailand. After too much time, some things here become unbearable.

The most enjoyable place in Thailand is Phuket. Most of my time has been spent in Phuket, Bangkok, and Korat.

Since moving to Kamphaeng Phet last year, it has given me a different view of the country and Thai people. I like it and admire it much less now.

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

11. Inability to communicate in English.

• Like 1

I've been moving back and forth between SEA and S. America these past 10 years.

In most of the countries out here in Asia armed robbery is uncommon, which certainly cannot be said of Latin America. A lot more in the way of burglary, sneak-thievery, etc. It adds another layer of concern in living day to day. Who needs that?

All one has to do is stroll through News Clippings to see that Thailand is far from perfect. However, if you have the money to have a state of the art security system, 2.5m+ baht SUV for road safety, 400-500k/year per child for schooling... I would say that solves the bigger problems of Thailand.

But for example, some stuff is inescapable. Such as the lack of freedom of expression and the lack of civil liberties and massive police corruption. Stuff like being stopped by a police officer who can search your car without suspision really puts Thailand into perspective.

Lessons are sometimes hard learned. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would wager that one day you will start to recognize some of the same traits in Thailand that you have listed as reasons for leaving SA. The moral is that every dogs has fleas, just pick one with the least.

Yeah, there are fleas and bad apples everywhere, but they just don't bite as hard and even a bad apple can taste sweet in Thailand.

To put it in perspective, towards the end of my stay in South America I was so tired of it, that I was willing to give up an oilfield salary + the live-in package so I could live in Thailand where I had to cover my own cost of living. At the end my ticket out of South America was an equal time assignment working in Siberia and living in Thailand.

Why can't they just be like us?

Wouldn't it be wonderful? Everything the same - little reflective homogenies of ourselves covering the earth.

Hehe, reminds me of the an old saying former work colleages in Oz would say while working away in the rat race.

Something to the tune of how this would be an absolutely fabulous place to work...if it were not for all these dam_n annoying customers who insist on coming through the door day after day