10 Reasons Why I Left.......... And Never Came Back Again!

ExpatOilWorker

I've been moving back and forth between SEA and S. America these past 10 years.

In most of the countries out here in Asia armed robbery is uncommon, which certainly cannot be said of Latin America. A lot more in the way of burglary, sneak-thievery, etc. It adds another layer of concern in living day to day. Who needs that?

The macho violence was a big part of it. I was only robbed once, but I lost my beloved HP15C calculator, which by the way it the Bugatti of all calculators.

A close college of mine, got kidnapped and abused to the point where it changed his personality. They actually played Russian roulette on him and they were all informed that they would be chopped up with a machete and thrown in a ditch.

Another guy was also taken and held captive for 6 month, but he was OK. He was a sales person with good communication skills and a native Spanish speaker, so at the end he was doing practice shooting with the guards.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here is 10 reasons that i left

1/councill tax that you got nothing for

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

4/no police on the streets

5/traffic speed cameras all over the place

6/massive car parking charges

7/overcharging for the simpelest repairs

8/ massive cost of petrol

9/ nanny state

10/motorists being targeted and not criminals

i could go on and on but you guessed it thats why i left Britain

so glad i am here in Thailand ,its more like Britain was in the 60s and 70 s not so many rules and regulations.

You could have halved that list by getting rid of the car! laugh.png

how true then i could have walked the 25 miles to work ,or i could have cought the train (change twice) then the bus to within 3 miles of my office and walked the rest of the way ,or got a taxi ,

thanks for the advice, i had never thought of getting rid of the car.clap2.gif

Or you could find work closer to home

Or you could find work next to convinient public transport

Or you could have worked from home

(I done all of the above, although not in the UK)

Lessons are sometimes hard learned. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would wager that one day you will start to recognize some of the same traits in Thailand that you have listed as reasons for leaving SA. The moral is that every dogs has fleas, just pick one with the least.

Yeah, there are fleas and bad apples everywhere, but they just don't bite as hard and even a bad apple can taste sweet in Thailand.

To put it in perspective, towards the end of my stay in South America I was so tired of it, that I was willing to give up an oilfield salary + the live-in package so I could live in Thailand where I had to cover my own cost of living. At the end my ticket out of South America was an equal time assignment working in Siberia and living in Thailand.

Whatever makes you happy and sees you through the day is all that really matters. I have worked and lived in SA also and know of what you speak. I still have a soft spot for certain cities in SA, most likely because I left before the resentment set in. Sometimes a change of venue is needed to alter your prespective. Fortunately, oil & gas work in transient and the way the shift rotations work, you can live pretty much anywhere you want, as long as you make muster on crew change.

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

so glad i am here in Thailand ,its more like Britain was in the 60s and 70 s not so many rules and regulations.

11. Inability to communicate in English.

12. Dreadful weather

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

11. Inability to communicate in English.

12. Dreadful weather

13. Violent society.

All one has to do is stroll through News Clippings to see that Thailand is far from perfect. However, if you have the money to have a state of the art security system, 2.5m+ baht SUV for road safety, 400-500k/year per child for schooling... I would say that solves the bigger problems of Thailand.

But for example, some stuff is inescapable. Such as the lack of freedom of expression and the lack of civil liberties and massive police corruption. Stuff like being stopped by a police officer who can search your car without suspision really puts Thailand into perspective.

My security system is bars at the windows, our transport is a Jazz and a Honda Wave, I have managed to avoid any problems regarding freedom of expression and haven't been bothered by the corruption of the police force, and I am managing to live a happy life.

To each his own, but this is what puts Thailand into perspective to me.

Surprised that a happy topic hasn't attracted more of the regular whingers.

• Like 1

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Pity you don't list, all the good things in life maybe a reflection on your attitude to life. I also See many of these whining posts about the UK, but many come back for NHS treatment or when the Dream has become a night mare. UK one of the safest places to live in the world, don't read to many papers and believe every thing.

Its nothing to do with "reading the papers" ,if i had added all the scare stories from the Mail then i wouldnt even come back for a holiday.

no its all the petty rules and regulations that blight your everyday life in the UK . i do not know how old you are but i can remember a time when ,there was a lot more freedom than there is now ,as for the NHS yes i admit that helps ,but to be honest i would prefere to be in hospital here in Thailand ,but then i am lucky enough to be able to afford it ,and as for the dream going sour ,why should it? we were a familly in the UK ,we are still a familly here ,if my wife and i broke up after all these years ,i would be no happier in Britain . by the way as for your comment about Britain being the safest place in the world ,our house was broken into twice ,my car was stolen ,it was broken into many times and i lived in a nice area of town ,here i leave my car unlocked ,we have never been broken into and nothing has ever been stolen ,i also feel safe walking around town at night ,something you didnt in my old hometown.

but after saying all that ,there are many beutifull parts of Britain and we do miss the countryside ,enjoy the snow ,if you are in the UK.hit-the-fan.gif

Myanmar is cheaper.

Myanmar is cheaper. Well yes, and so is Bangladesh. You cannot compare Thailand with Myanmar. Unless $$ is your only criteria. If you are a pensioner on a fixed income and your $$ is going down then perhaps better move to Myanmar. www.myanmarvisa.com - now that would have a lot of complaints threads.

Nice post OP. Like others have said some of the things we tend to be critical of as it pertains to Thailand pale into insignificance when compared to back home... Ive bitched about paying 200B tea money to the BIB for pulling me up on the bike for no real reason... well back home at Christmas 100 quid for a 72 in a 60km/h zone at 5am Christmas morning... most western countries now becoming so nannified ( is that a word) that the chaos and lack of organisation here is actually a blessing.

ciao

Yah, ExpatOilWorker, but think of all those hot Latin women you had to leave behind.

Surely the hottest women on the planet, *sigh*.

Not sure about the rest of South America, but in Mexico, there was a joke among Americans that inside every Mexican woman was a skinny one trying to get out. Must be their diet. Yes, the hot ones are hot. But the majority....

All one has to do is stroll through News Clippings to see that Thailand is far from perfect. However, if you have the money to have a state of the art security system, 2.5m+ baht SUV for road safety, 400-500k/year per child for schooling... I would say that solves the bigger problems of Thailand.

But for example, some stuff is inescapable. Such as the lack of freedom of expression and the lack of civil liberties and massive police corruption. Stuff like being stopped by a police officer who can search your car without suspision really puts Thailand into perspective.

My security system is bars at the windows, our transport is a Jazz and a Honda Wave, I have managed to avoid any problems regarding freedom of expression and haven't been bothered by the corruption of the police force, and I am managing to live a happy life.

To each his own, but this is what puts Thailand into perspective to me.

Surprised that a happy topic hasn't attracted more of the regular whingers.

There's always one...

Where's the whingers - you can never get one when you want one... wait for ages, and then they all come along at once.

Anyway, more than two wingers is just ridiculous.

SC

• Like 1

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Well my second week back in the states I had an interesting incident which left me appreciating certain aspects of Thailand when I got pulled over by the highway patrol in my newly bought car.

"You ran that red light..." (It was close, I didn't think so.)

"and you were going 35 in a 25." (Ok maybe, but the speed limit sign turned out to be at the top of a street light and partially obscured by a tree. It was 25 for just 2 blocks)

"What's with the dealer plate? (Landlord is a wholesaler blah blah blah.)

"Do you have insurence?" Errr....no. Not yet. Just bought the car.

"I hope you are wearing contact lenses?" Yep, although I rarely do. (My license shows "restr: corr lens")

I thought I was done for sure. Highway patrol as a general rule doesn't let people off. I was shocked she didn't address the 12 pack of beer in the passenger seat. Luckliy she let me off with a warning, but it sure was a wake-up call. Made me realize that by comparison, I feel quite oppressed here in the states. It will be hard to get used to all the rules again.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Yah, ExpatOilWorker, but think of all those hot Latin women you had to leave behind.

Surely the hottest women on the planet, *sigh*.

Not sure about the rest of South America, but in Mexico, there was a joke among Americans that inside every Mexican woman was a skinny one trying to get out. Must be their diet. Yes, the hot ones are hot. But the majority....

One shouldn't include Mexican ladies when referring to hot Latin women.

Quite the insult to this circle.

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Thank god you left.....we were getting over run by namby pamby whingeing malcontents until you all packed up and went to live in Thailand.passifier.gifpassifier.gif

Imagine telling the world that you left the UK because of Traffic Wardens......violin.gif

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Well my second week back in the states I had an interesting incident which left me appreciating certain aspects of Thailand when I got pulled over by the highway patrol in my newly bought car.

"and you were going 35 in a 25." (Ok maybe, but the speed limit sign turned out to be at the top of a street light and partially obscured by a tree. It was 25 for just 2 blocks)

"I hope you are wearing contact lenses?" Yep, although I rarely do. (My license shows "restr: corr lens")

I thought I was done for sure. Highway patrol as a general rule doesn't let people off. I was shocked she didn't address the 12 pack of beer in the passenger seat. Luckliy she let me off with a warning, but it sure was a wake-up call. Made me realize that by comparison, I feel quite oppressed here in the states. It will be hard to get used to all the rules again.

So let me get this straight, your a partially sighted speedster that ran a red light while driving an uninsured car............

You got let off...........but you feel oppressed?

huh.png

Have you ever considered self awareness classes?

Luckily the driver that parially disabled me was fully insured.

Namby Pamby liberals!

That paid off my first mortgage, and the fact that i can never play my favourite sports, nor pole vault, nor leap frog, nor hang wall paper ... c'est la vie.

He feels grateful that he was insured as well; no doubt our relationship would have been seriously soured had I claimed the damages I was entitled to, and he had not been insured; had I rendered him to poverty....

So often we forget that our insurance for third parties is for our own benefit...

SC

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Let me guess....you were a taxi driver?

• Like 1

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

So let me get this straight, your a partially sighted speedster that ran a red light while driving an uninsured car............

You got let off...........but you feel oppressed?

huh.png

Have you ever considered self awareness classes?

DESTINATION ZULULAND !

In most of the countries out here in Asia armed robbery is uncommon, which certainly cannot be said of Latin America. A lot more in the way of burglary, sneak-thievery, etc. It adds another layer of concern in living day to day. Who needs that?

and inspite of having lived in South America you selected "bendejo" which hardly differs from "pendejo"?

I go back and forth but always happy to get back to Thailand. We all know that Thailand isn't perfect, less so for many. From my experience its all in ones head anyway how you feel about life and the place you are at at this moment. I woke up this morning in paradise and will go to bed in paradise even with the warts.

I go back and forth but always happy to get back to Thailand. We all know that Thailand isn't perfect, less so for many. From my experience its all in ones head anyway how you feel about life and the place you are at at this moment. I woke up this morning in paradise and will go to bed in paradise even with the warts.

Are you quoting me? Oh, wait, you are quoting yourself. Maybe you've been listening to me for too long.jap.gifwai.gif

and inspite of having lived in South America you selected "bendejo" which hardly differs from "pendejo"?

That is really well spotted and while we all know why Naam are familiar with this word, then for all the other non-Spanish speakers it is a very strong and insulting profanity.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pendejo

2/traffic wardens

3/intolerant immegrants

9/ nanny state

Thank god you left.....we were getting over run by namby pamby whingeing malcontents until you all packed up and went to live in Thailand.passifier.gifpassifier.gif

Imagine telling the world that you left the UK because of Traffic Wardens......violin.gif

Thats ok ,people like you that cant think for themselves ,need to be looked after by the namby pamby statepassifier.gif