4 Young Swedes, 1 Thai Dead In Horror Smash Near Phuket

webfact

Road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants Uk 3.6, USA 12.3, India 16.8, Thailand 19.6, Brasil 19.9, Myanmar 23.4, The Gambia 36.6, World 20.8, Then road deaths per 100,000 Motor vehicles - Uk 7, USA 15, Brasil 71, Thailand118, India 1,120, Myanmar 3342, The Gambia 5,228, World 93.3

Source ?

Edited by David48

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for road casualties, in Phuket its down to 1/3 of what it used to be a decade ago, despite double the traffic

I find that very hard to believe where are your figures from

As far as I can remember, source Phuket Gazette, 10 - 12 years ago 175 Road casualties on Phuket roads, nearly 160 from them with Motorbikes.

The increased use of Helmets and the heavily increased traffic on Phukets roads, which makes speeding more difficult and limited to less times, less places decreased the casualty number to a little over 100, 107? in 2011.

Considering the inhabitants-many not registered in Phuket, Alien workers and Tourists on the island, all together, lets say about 5-600.000, the numbers

-steve187- wrote, would fit in. No big difference to other parts of TH.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all the posts on this thread, thaibashing, racism and everything inbetween, I wonder how it comes that we only react to a horrific accident like this, when someone from our own "tribe" is the victim. Accidents like this happens every week, pickup trucks with constructionworkers hit by a truck,bus,train and 8-10 death and nobody cares. But as soon a farang is involved, it is a complete different story.

Do we consider a white life worth more than a brown life ?

No we don't. Most of us are sickened by the senseless carnage that we witness nearly every day on the roads here, regardless of the colour of the victims. What I can't stand is your determination to try to shift the blame onto the victims (in this case, asserting that one of the Swedes was driving the car- see your previous post). Being a Thai apologist to this extreme blinds you to the reality.

• Like 1

After reading all the posts on this thread, thaibashing, racism and everything inbetween, I wonder how it comes that we only react to a horrific accident like this, when someone from our own "tribe" is the victim. Accidents like this happens every week, pickup trucks with constructionworkers hit by a truck,bus,train and 8-10 death and nobody cares. But as soon a farang is involved, it is a complete different story.

Do we consider a white life worth more than a brown life ?

No we don't. Most of us are sickened by the senseless carnage that we witness nearly every day on the roads here, regardless of the colour of the victims. What I can't stand is your determination to try to shift the blame onto the victims (in this case, asserting that one of the Swedes was driving the car- see your previous post). Being a Thai apologist to this extreme blinds you to the reality.

+1

• 1 year later...

All this talk of Thai bashing is absolute category one garbage, anyone reaching for a keyboard to type that phrase in needs their head examined.

Carnage on the roads is not acceptable......deaths on the road are unavoidable........but carnage is something else altogether.

The way the Thai driving licences are issued starts the whole sorry process off on the wrong foot,,,,,,,,the way that they will transport people at high speed in the back of pick up trucks and songthaews then adds to the certainty of carnage following........the patchy enforcement of road safety and vehicle laws then adds a bit more.

I could go on......there are plenty of police and road check points throughout the country........Thailand could make a vast difference to road safety very quickly if it put it's mind to it.

edit

ps

How many passenger seats on aircraft could be filled by dead tourists every year in Thailand? People who left their home countries full of vigour and excitement, and going home dead?

How many times do we need to fight this stupid Thai bashing argument on Thaivisa?

When we drove behind the moving truck driver, from one side of Thailand to the other, he was stopped (i didn't start counting right away) 47 times, by police, for money.

Most took 20 baht, many demanded 100. No inspection of license or vehicle, just give me money. They waved us through.

Road safety could be improved- if there were the leadership will to do so.

First, have a highly respected Thai publicly, repeatdly condemn unsafe/selfish driving habits.

Second, police out patroling the roads 24/7, immediate incarceratipon for extremely unsafe acts.

Three, community service for offenders. Wear stripped prison garb and pick up trash along road ways, clean sewers, etc.

Fourth, public shaming for offenders "Yes, I hit the other car head on because I was hungry and snd in a hurry to eat som tom"

Of course this would never happen, can't hurt anothers feelings, pretend there is no problem...

For what its worth, many farangs drive just as selfishly and poorly. More the shame because we were taught better.