Three Restaurants

wjmark

Three Restaurants

The Orchard, Grandview Buffet, HongKong Duck

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

THE ORCHARD, MAE RIM

I'll start with The Orchard, Mae Rim. It got some discussion in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own mention - http://www.thaivisa....guitarman-gone/

Nicky from Guitarman has opened a fantastic place set in the woods on the Mae Rim Samoeng road. Just at the top of the first hill (leaving Mae Rim) on the left.

I've been there four times in the past two weeks, and had four perfect meals. Nicky is a proper chef, and even though his food is simple, he prepares it perfectly. Very diligent and professional - everything.

One of the best burgers I have ever had anywhere in the world - big, meaty, and with an amazing sauce. Home-made chewy bread works perfectly. Fries are large, but fantastic - taste like potato.

Had the fish and chips twice. They were huge, fresh, juicy, and even the batter had delicious seasoning... As good a fish n chips as I have had.

Both were garnished with an apple salad that not only had fresh home-made dressings, but looked like works of art...

The last time I was there (musical Sunday afternoon), I had Nicky's lasagna. Huge again, and light and creamy. Not too much pasta, but so big that it was very filling without being pasta-stuffed! Crispy top with a nice cheesiness. Not classic Italian, but again, perfectly done.

Oh yes - all those dishes were 180bt - salad and fries included.

I used to really enjoy Nicky's pizza at Guitarman, and he is making pizza at his new place - I am sure it will be great. And I really want to try his Ale, Steak and Stilton Pie...

There is live music, and soon a Sunday roast, every Sunday afternoon...

As positive as your post was about Nicky's burger, I'm still not sure you've done it justice. It IS the best burger I've had anywhere in the world. I never imagined I'd be making that claim about a Chiang Mai restaurant, but there it is. (snip)... I mean this place should be a Samoeng Loop ritual.

Hi . I will have to agree that it is the best burger i have eaten anywhere !! True gourmet burger that is second to none. You better go with a appetite because the burger is humongus , the pizza is as always fantastic . It is definetly worth the trip and really a nice ride . The Music is just a bonus .

--- --- --- --- ---

GRANDVIEW HOTEL BUFFET

I know this place has been done to death, but I had two buffets there this week, and found them excellent. 155bt taxes included.

The buffet is not as big as it used to be - gone is the roast-beef that I loved. And water is no longer free.

But the food I had was very impressive. All the more so given it's extremely low price.

The first meal saw a spaghetti carbonara, fish in a caper-butter sauce, smoked pork in an onion gravy, plus the usual sushi, thai food, noodle soup, som-tam, cold-cut, soup, and crepe-suzette stations, plus a new Vietnamese coconut-crepe grill.

The spaghetti was not a classic 'tossed' carbonara with just bacon (or pancetta), cheese and egg. In fact it wasn't tossed at all. The sauce was in a tray beside the spag. So it was more of a milk/cream-based white cheese sauce mixed with egg and bacon. But it was very good. Grandview has a knack of making nice light white sauces that are not cloying or too salty - just satisfying. Slightly eggy, and with a good smoky bacon flavour permeating. I had three plates!

And for what it is worth, each plate would cost 150bt in many CM restaurants, and wouldn't be any better.

The fish with capers - nice little boneless fillets topped with capers in butter - tender fish - great sauce.

The Pork Chasseure (sp?) had really fine smoked pork chunks in a light onion gravy with surprisingly good mashed potatoes. Every pork dish I have had at the Grandview has been top notch. Meaty, tender and lean.

They always have a few Thai dishes as well, and that time I had the Pad Kai Moo (Fried egg and sour pork sausage - naam). This one was cooked with woon sen noodles, and was better than most I have had - not too greasy, and not too salty.

Today I went back, and had Macaroni and Tomato sauce, Fish Fillets in a herbed cream sauce, Pork Goulash, Thai Spicy Fish, Chinese Clear Pork Soup.

And once again the pork dishes were superlative. Simple dishes, but great pork!

The tomato sauce for the pasta was light, fresh tasting, and not sweetened at all (scourge of Thai tomato sauces - too sweet!). The fish fillets had a light white sauce with herbs and again cooked with a very light touch. Nothing greasy on this buffet.

The Thai Spicy Fish fillets were a little heavy on the batter, but the sauce was piquant without being killer spicy. And again, not sweet. The Chinese clear soup was overly thick, but the pork slices were great.

Sushi both times was decent - the rice has a good balance of salty and sweet, and although there are only rolls, they were fresh and crunchy.

The Vietnamese crepes were thin crispy crepes made of lentil and coconut, stuffed with shredded pork (I think) and bean sprouts. Topped with a vinegar chilli cucumber dressing - all I can say is 'yum'.

Grandview has a large desert section, including Western cakes (pretty crappy - with fake butter), a very good creme caramel, fruits, Thai deserts - including pumpkin in coconut milk and a variety of little sticky things. And today, mini chocolate eclair bites. I had 10 (they were small).

No chocolate fountain. No cheese plates. Just a really honest feed for a very decent price. Sometimes the place is packed with bus tours, so it might be difficult to get a seat (today was full of Japanese), but the turnover keeps the food fresh.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

HONG KONG DUCK

Best duck I can remember having. Crispy, tender, not fatty, full of flavour. And the most interesting Thai/Chinese peanut sauce anywhere.

They have moved from the big food court near CMU to their own restaurant across from Northern Farms on Huay Keow (between Superhighway and Canal rd on the North side). Big red and gold Chinese-looking place. Can't miss it.

Half duck to go 250 baht. Including soup and the best peanut sauce.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

OKOK - those were my pretentious reviews.

My simple reviews go like this: I love food. You know I love food. These are very good places. You should go.

Cheers, Mark

ps - next week a foody-friend is coming to CM, and we are going to eat! So expect more...

+1 for hk duck on huay kaew road such a shame he had to move from the university but they put up the rent from 12,000 to 16,000 and the owner is going to sell the land he is on now in the next few months .

I knew the guy when he first started in chiang mai he worked in bangkok restaurant for 12 years before he came here .

Hi there, how to find the orchard ? any map or pics ? Cheers

I tried to scan a map for you but I was unsuccessful. It's really easy to find though. Go to and through Mae Rim, turn left at the road leading to Samoeng and it's about 1 kilometer on the left, near the crest of the first hill.

Hi there, how to find the orchard ? any map or pics ? Cheers

I tried to scan a map for you but I was unsuccessful. It's really easy to find though. Go to and through Mae Rim, turn left at the road leading to Samoeng and it's about 1 kilometer on the left, near the crest of the first hill.

Thank you. Will check it out.

HK restaurant has moved again and it is now opposite the grand view hotel on the super highway from 5pm onwards just saw it on the way home .

Yup - they sure have! I just checked it out, and it is just as delicious as it was at the last two locations.

And yup - it is right across from the Grandview Hotel in the outside food plaza that sets up in the 7-11 parking lot after 5pm. About 500 meters from Huay Keow road...