Public Transport Van Plunges Into Ditch Killing 4, Injuring 14: Sukhothai

webfact

Van plunges into ditch killing 4, injuring 14

The Nation

30175156-01_big.jpg

SUKHOTHAI: -- A public transport van skidded off a road and plunged into a ditch in Sukhothai yesterday killing four people and injuring 14 passengers.

Of those injured, nine were in critical condition at press time.

Driver Ratchanon Intanon, 31, who did not sustain any injuries, told police that one of the tyres burst while the van was moving, which made him lose control of the vehicle. The van provided transportation services between Phitsanulok and Tak.

Ratchanon has been detained for further questioning and will face legal action if he is found guilty of reckless driving.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-04

Yesterday I was on the expressway between Bangkok and Chonburi. I was traveling about 120km per hour and got passed by one of these vans like I was at a stop light. It was going at least 150 or more kph. If a tire blows at these hight speeds you are in deep doo-doo. I can only assume the van in this new accident was traveling at a high rate of speed and with all the weight inside the driver had no safety buffer and thus sacrificed several people in order to meet his employers imposed objectives. It is time the government kicks ass on these incompetent companies and perhaps install governors on the motors of these deathtraps so they cannot exceed a certain kph speed. I know it will never happen because of the corruption in Thailand, but it is nice being able to vent about it here. I wish the best for the survivors and for the rest of the familys.

Seems like only yesterday we had a similar report, and the week before that. I guess the passengers and their families can sue, for whatever that's worth. Are there no speed restrictions for common carriers in LOS?

Sue.......Hahaha......where have you been..? R I P for the dead and wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured..

Yesterday I was on the expressway between Bangkok and Chonburi. I was traveling about 120km per hour and got passed by one of these vans like I was at a stop light. It was going at least 150 or more kph.

+1

Like you I was on the Bangna-Chonburi expressway doing about 125 kphand got passed by 3 of vans. I speed up to 140 kph just to see if could catch up to them, but they were long gone. To me it seemed like they were going at least 160 kph.

Yep I drive at 110-120 kph in in 6 lane highways, and seldom pass a van, but they are always passing me. What does that say about the average speed they drive? But it is more than driving fast, most vans are the bullies of the highway. Thay tail gate trying to force their way through. Many surf lanes trying to over take. Whenever I see an accident on the highway I can bet that 70% of the time it involves a public vehicle. Here's the odd part, I got a speeding ticket (121 kph ) in the mail, the cops were using cameras. Now if they can catch me, you'd think they could nab any public vehicle too. It would be soooo easy to start cracking down with fines to the registered owners. Fine the operators and they see profits fall, then the start getting on the backs of their drivers to slow down. Moreover any public vehicle that is involved in an accident and found to be overloaded (more passengers than seat belts) as was in this case, fine the company 50.000 per head over the limited. Soon the overloading will stop. . . . But that won't happen cos no one in power gives a darn about their fellow country men. Right?

I am amazed they got 18 people in the Van.. Condolences to the families..

"I am amazed they got 18 people in the Van." How long have you been in Thailand? This is the land of 4 people and a baby on a motorbike!

• Like 1

Perfectly good stretch of road is the Pitsanulok-Tak road. I will admit on a quiet Sunday afternoon to have been doing 1, 7, and 0 kph and it's not bouncy or dangerous (much). If the driver is telling the truth then it was unfortunate and not to condone the speeding but it could have been just a freak accident. Funnily enough as safe as this road is my first ever journey on it I had a cow run into the side of my car at 80kph. Cow was fine and I had 7,000 bahts worth of damage, shame I didn't know the insurance would cover it.

RIP those unfortunate souls

Perfectly good stretch of road is the Pitsanulok-Tak road. I will admit on a quiet Sunday afternoon to have been doing 1, 7, and 0 kph and it's not bouncy or dangerous (much). If the driver is telling the truth then it was unfortunate and not to condone the speeding but it could have been just a freak accident. Funnily enough as safe as this road is my first ever journey on it I had a cow run into the side of my car at 80kph. Cow was fine and I had 7,000 bahts worth of damage, shame I didn't know the insurance would cover it.

Of importance is, what shape are the tires in? Most of them run thin to bald. Could be the driver is telling the truth, and a tire just reached the end of its life. In any other country a commercial driver would be held responsible for the condition of the vehicle he drives.

Yesterday I was on the expressway between Bangkok and Chonburi. I was traveling about 120km per hour and got passed by one of these vans like I was at a stop light. It was going at least 150 or more kph. If a tire blows at these hight speeds you are in deep doo-doo. I can only assume the van in this new accident was traveling at a high rate of speed and with all the weight inside the driver had no safety buffer and thus sacrificed several people in order to meet his employers imposed objectives. It is time the government kicks ass on these incompetent companies and perhaps install governors on the motors of these deathtraps so they cannot exceed a certain kph speed. I know it will never happen because of the corruption in Thailand, but it is nice being able to vent about it here. I wish the best for the survivors and for the rest of the familys.

Dangerous to make assumptions thereby aportioning blame. Facts are facts, guilty is guilty but in the same light, not guilty is not guilty

• Like 1

I've traveled in a lot of transport vans in Thailand in the past, but never been in one that had anywhere close to 18 people inside... I don't even think the manufacturers make vans with that kind of passenger capacity.

With these kinds of mishaps occurring over and over and over again.... it's seriously making me think to avoid taking this kind of transport entirely...

I used to think these kinds of things were mostly confined to latenight trips where the drivers fall asleep or are drunk....or traveling in bad weather.... But lately, it seems these kinds of crashes are occurring without those kinds of circumstances.

Of importance is, what shape are the tires in? Most of them run thin to bald. Could be the driver is telling the truth, and a tire just reached the end of its life. In any other country a commercial driver would be held responsible for the condition of the vehicle he drives.

I thought the same thing aswell, the tyres are usually in a state from what ive seen here. I wonder whose feet the blame will eventually land at?? If anyone ever hears another thing about this.

Sad and definately not the last

The amazing thing about these crashes is that the driver usually survives, and not just survives but is unhurt enough to run away after the crash. Is it the buddahs, amulets or kama?

Driver's airbag?

18 does seem a lot even in LOS. I thought these buses left once they had their dozen or so bums on seats. Sure no other vehicle involved?

I drive this route twice a month and it is great road except for some works between Sukhothai and Tak. There are some slow traffic control lights at intersections in the middle of nowhere that folk often run but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

So tragic. I hope no-one was culpable. A blown tyre on good straight road is not impossible and could have such dire consequences. But for the grace of ...

Sad.

Yep I drive at 110-120 kph in in 6 lane highways, and seldom pass a van, but they are always passing me. What does that say about the average speed they drive? But it is more than driving fast, most vans are the bullies of the highway. Thay tail gate trying to force their way through. Many surf lanes trying to over take. Whenever I see an accident on the highway I can bet that 70% of the time it involves a public vehicle. Here's the odd part, I got a speeding ticket (121 kph ) in the mail, the cops were using cameras. Now if they can catch me, you'd think they could nab any public vehicle too. It would be soooo easy to start cracking down with fines to the registered owners. Fine the operators and they see profits fall, then the start getting on the backs of their drivers to slow down. Moreover any public vehicle that is involved in an accident and found to be overloaded (more passengers than seat belts) as was in this case, fine the company 50.000 per head over the limited. Soon the overloading will stop. . . . But that won't happen cos no one in power gives a darn about their fellow country men. Right?

Right. And the van owners are already paying the police not to take out their vans.

The amazing thing about these crashes is that the driver usually survives, and not just survives but is unhurt enough to run away after the crash. Is it the buddahs, amulets or kama?

How about the drivers wear a seat belt even though the seat belts for passengers

are usually rtied up behind the seat, if you try to use them, the driver throws a fit.

I don't take these vans any more. I had two trips in which I call myself lucky that no accident occurred, and that judgement is based on the drivers' skills and attitude. It's just not worth the risk.

I rather drive myself where possible, or take other public transport (planes, trains, big buses - in that order) otherwise.

Seems like only yesterday we had a similar report, and the week before that. I guess the passengers and their families can sue, for whatever that's worth. Are there no speed restrictions for common carriers in LOS?

To answer your question.

Yes, there are speed retrictions.

They are just not enforced.

Ever see someone pulled over in Thailand for speeding ?

Or anything else (except at blockades) for that matter ?

No not Buddahs, amulets or kama,, it is called " seat belt ",, the driver would wear a seat belt the passengers would not, the Thai people think seat belts are not necessary, uncomfortable, and don't do anything, if I drive a car I refuse to start the car until everyone, front & back has the seat belts on, allways get an argument.