Libel Warning Over Sharp-Tongued SimSimi Chat Robot: Thailand

webfact

Libel warning over sharp-tongued chat robot

The Nation

384px-%EC%82%AC%EB%B3%B8_-2011-10-21_13-41-32.jpg

File photo, Source: wikimedia

BANGKOK: -- Users of the SimSimi "chat robot" application who post texts deemed libellous to other persons online face prosecution, even if the offensive remarks are generated by the program, Information and Communications Technology Minister Gp Captain Anudith Nakornthap said yesterday.

"We will monitor the online world and take action against offenders," he said.

He called on people to alert the ICT Ministry if they find libellous messages online.

"You can call our hotline centre at 1212 round the clock," Anudith said.

The SimSimi application, which can be downloaded for free onto iPhones, iPads and Androidbased cellphones, have become a big hit among Thais during the past few weeks. However, the chatrobot application often makes offensive remarks when users mention certain names, particularly those of politicians.

SimSimi also allows users to share their conversations online via media such as Facebook.

As one of its features, the chat robot memorises answers taught to it by users in order to continue conversations automatically.

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome said the ICT Ministry was asked to contact the South Korean developer of the application and seek its cooperation in removing comments deemed rude or inappropriate.

"We can't screen the use of SimSimi the way we monitor the Internet," she said.

Sukumol said that to an extent, the popularity of SimSimi reflected problems in contemporary relationships.

"Why don't people talk to their friends or family members, rather than the chat robot?" she asked.

Association of Thai Language Teachers of Thailand president Kanjana Naksakul, who is also a member of the Royal Institute, expressed concern that using SimSimi would desensitise users to rude words.

"Then, people may come to think that everyone is using the rude words and thus it's okay to use them," she said.

She also pointed out that the SimSimi robot might memorise wrong or inappropriate words and repeat them, making it hard for its users to realise how to use language correctly and properly.

"As Thais, we should campaign for the proper use of the Thai language," Kanjana said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-04

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome said the ICT Ministry was asked to contact the South Korean developer of the application and seek its cooperation in removing comments deemed rude or inappropriate.

I guess the rude or inappropriate remarks are part of the selling point of the app. As if the Korean developers would listen to the ICT Ministry of Thailand.

Land of Smiles is slowly disappearing. Everything is taken so seriously nowadays.

Anyway it's good free publicity for the developers of the app.

Obviously an automated chat robot is far more damaging to Thai society than corruption. So you have a chat with a machine that says something rude and you can now be held as libelous. That about sums up the absurdity of the inability of the government to properly prioritize the important from the banal

• Like 2

Obviously an automated chat robot is far more damaging to Thai society than corruption. So you have a chat with a machine that says something rude and you can now be held as libelous. That about sums up the absurdity of the inability of the government to properly prioritize the important from the banal

No, the machine will get sued, respectively its Korean operators.

Edited by Puccini

"She say bad words to me!" Always amazes me how this aspect of Thai culture is the number one event to upset Thais. Using bad words seems THE number one priority if someone speaks to or about another Thai in a bad way, this can cause all hell to break lose.

The list of national problems such as jet ski or tourist scams, corruption, prostitution, mafia, southern insurgency and so on pales into insignificance if, Oh My God... someone says bad words! Expect to be sued or "disappear" if you should dare make this mistake in the Land of Superficial Smiles".

Oh sorry did I cause someone to lose their face somewhere? So Sorry jap.gif Just biggrin.png !

"You can call our hotline centre at 1212 round the clock," Anudith said.

Is it true that this technology will be in tablet PC's for one graders???

You can call the cops at any time at night and they'll never pick up the phone. And you won't see them at night in town where I'm living for so long now, I said.......spamsign.gif

Edited by sirchai

"She say bad words to me!" Always amazes me how this aspect of Thai culture is the number one event to upset Thais. Using bad words seems THE number one priority if someone speaks to or about another Thai in a bad way, this can cause all hell to break lose.

The list of national problems such as jet ski or tourist scams, corruption, prostitution, mafia, southern insurgency and so on pales into insignificance if, Oh My God... someone says bad words! Expect to be sued or "disappear" if you should dare make this mistake in the Land of Superficial Smiles".

Oh sorry did I cause someone to lose their face somewhere? So Sorry jap.gif Just biggrin.png !

Found it buried between the legs of a 14 year old boy in a Thai government only brothel!

ICT warns smartphone users about the distribution of foul language from popular app

BANGKOK, 5 February 2012 (NNT) - The ICT Ministry is warning users of smartphone not to distribute foul language from a popular conversation program, to avoid criminal charges.

Group Captain Anudith Nakornthap, Minister of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), said on Saturday that smartphone users who have downloaded the Simsimi artificial intelligence conversation program must now be careful about forwarding rude words from this popular application to other uses.

The ICT Minister stressed that if the police receive a formal complaint about the use of foul languages, the people, who originated the distribution of such rude dialogues, will be at risk of facing criminal charges.

Earlier, the Ministry of Culture has come out to express worries about the popular use of Simsimi, which is said to be created by a South Korean developer for the purpose of language learning. However, it said that many app users in Thailand had gone too far.

Group Captain Anudith added that there have been more and more outcries about the unpleasant experience from Simsimi, while asking those who have been affected by this smartphone application to report to the police of the ICT call center.

According to the ICT Minister, those who are found using any computer program to verbally attack or cause damages to others could be violating the 2007 Computer Crime Act, which may result in imprisonment or fine, or both.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-05 footer_n.gif

"According to the ICT Minister, those who are found using any computer program to verbally attack or cause damages to others could be violating the 2007 Computer Crime Act, which may result in imprisonment or fine, or both."

we are sliding down to a fascist style gvt.....

face prosecution, even if the offensive remarks are generated by the program

They are going to prosecute a robot.

Turning to the trial when the plaintiff is questioning the defendant (in the form of an IPhone sitting on a chair)... will SimSimi cuss out the attorney asking it questions?

• Like 1

I guess the rude or inappropriate remarks are part of the selling point of the app. As if the Korean developers would listen to the ICT Ministry of Thailand.

Although they might listen to the culture minister as they wouldn't want to go against her father-in-law.... well, at least until he's apprehended and serves his prison time for murder.