Appropriate Situation/Time To Wai

FiscalFizz

Oh no......rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Oh no here we go again.....OP....please use the search function...there must be thousands of threads on this subject on TV...

when this question, along with questions on Sin Sot come up....every Thai wannabee jumps on the bandwagon trying to show how at one with their Thainess they are....

Soutpeel- I apologize for inconviencing your world by asking a question on TV that has been answered before. The 3 different search terms I typed in must not have hit home to the elusive and well written ThaiVisa.com algorithms that guide the well known and established thaivisa search engine. For this, I am truly and utterly apologetic. To offend the good nature and senses of someone like yourself is beyond comprehension for a peasant such as myself.

Next time everbody. I wil make sure to type in 5 different search terms,...

Edited by FiscalFizz

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I usually wai first when I am introduced to a person older than myself, I was told this is polite and shows respect to an elder, I also wai to a person I am introduced to or meet who is in a position of authority, I will return a wai when someone gives me a wai, I have found a wave to be acceptable to those who know me, except when they are in the company of a person I don't know. I never give a nod in return for a wai, I think that would be like refusing to return a handshake.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The 3 different search terms I typed in must not have hit home to the elusive and well written ThaiVisa.com algorithms that guide the well known and established thaivisa search engine.

Are you questioning the results of the TV search engine? That must be breaking at least one rule or another. ph34r.png

I usually wai first when I am introduced to a person older than myself, I was told this is polite and shows respect to an elder, I also wai to a person I am introduced to or meet who is in a position of authority, I will return a wai when someone gives me a wai, I have found a wave to be acceptable to those who know me, except when they are in the company of a person I don't know. I never give a nod in return for a wai, I think that would be like refusing to return a handshake.

When I came here as a tourist a cashier in Tesco or somewhere 'wai'd' me and I 'wai'd in return. My brother, who had lived here for a few years, explained that it only made me look stupid.

He was right. But, I have found that bowing my head respectfully works in all situations as the Thais understand that we know nothing about wai'ing, but the bowed head shows respect.

When I came here as a tourist a cashier in Tesco or somewhere 'wai'd' me and I 'wai'd in return. My brother, who had lived here for a few years, explained that it only made me look stupid.

He was right. But, I have found that bowing my head respectfully works in all situations as the Thais understand that we know nothing about wai'ing, but the bowed head shows respect.

Yes, the Tesco girls always wai to us as respect and realizes we are older than her so must do. laugh.png

And yes, you do not wai back, a simple smile and sawadi krup is good.