Appropriate Situation/Time To Wai

FiscalFizz

I have read that if someone does a Wai ( the wai wais??), you should just smile and nod back. Is this true. I am more or less just wondering in what social situations should I Wai first and also when I should respons with a wai greeting? As a farang, should I always just smile and nod my head politely.. If it is my boss, do I Wai first and/or wai back

I have tried the search function, but I am not that effecient with it yet I suppose. I also hit up Google. Sorry if this has been covered many times before.

Mods, if this is in the wrong area, feel free to move.

Thanks in advance to everyone at TV.

Edited by FiscalFizz

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a Farang I wai when meeting people who I perceive or want to be perceived (in the context of others perceptions) as my social superiors.

I have a good friend who is a judge, I wai when I haven't seen him in a while or when he is with other hi-so's who don't also know me. I don't wai everytime I see him.

Return a wai to any equal or friend.

Treat it the same as a handshake unless it is in a commercial situation (shop greeter etc) in which case a nod is enough.

• Like 1

Oh no......rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Oh no here we go again.....OP....please use the search function...there must be thousands of threads on this subject on TV...

when this question, along with questions on Sin Sot come up....every Thai wannabee jumps on the bandwagon trying to show how at one with their Thainess they are....

• Like 1

As a Farang I wai when meeting people who I perceive or want to be perceived (in the context of others perceptions) as my social superiors.

I have a good friend who is a judge, I wai when I haven't seen him in a while or when he is with other hi-so's who don't also know me. I don't wai everytime I see him.

Treat it the same as a handshake unless it is in a commercial situation (shop greeter etc) in which case a nod is enough.

lol

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

You forgot to add the most important situation of when to wai.....always wai other Farang when greeting one another.wai.gif

You forgot to add the most important situation of when to wai.....always wai other Farang when greeting one another.wai.gif

Only when he ends a sentence with "maak maak"

lol

back at yah.

laugh.png

And lest not we forget....that it is mandatory to wai every waitress, parking attendent and security guard who crosses your path, if you dont...you obviously dont understand the Thai culture and you should leave the country immediately...wai.gif

• Like 2

Rule of thumb, is to never wai. I am farang, and with it goes the dispensation on the need to wai. That does not mean tossing manners and politeness aside. I suggest that one watch some youtube showing public functions where foreign diplomat and senior business execs are exchanging greetings with Thais. The diplomatic style bow is the preferred means of greeting. I have given a proper 45 degree bow to esteemed professors and a minister or two along with the greeting Good Afternoon Professor, the mention of title ensures that the object of the bow's hierarchal position is acknowledged.

licklips.gif As a non Thai you're not really expected to know all the protocol on who Wais to who, who Wais first, and so on.

Just use the general rules that you:

1. Wai to those senior to you.

2. To those who you want to show respect to (perhaps your Thai Girlfriends's mother?)

3. And in a shop if they have gone out of their way to help you...to thank them for their effort (as you leave).

4. And when greeting a Buddhist monk.

Basically, just do what you think is right and be repectful.

But don't worry to much, as a foriegner you're not supposed to know all the rules.

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

I wai to the girlfriends mother only when I have not seen her before or for a while as that is respectful and good manners.

I have to laugh at the men who wai to the ladies working in the bar, the bar staff and all and sundry. They look so pathetic.

Wai'ing a Thai. lol. Don't think so.

It's only for people you consider to be superior to you.

They wai me. I may give a small nod of recognition from time to time.

Fancy yourself don't you? Great White Man must be superior to any Thai eh?

• Like 1

Handshake vs wai. Yes, not the same thing in either meaning or effect. Though having said that, it seems I remember reading that the wai originated in the same fashion as the handshake. That is, it was to show your enemy you were not holding a weapon. I'm still trying to find the history and the where and why of how the wai started. My colleague believes it originated in India.

I wai those who wai me in one on one meetings because this you mention here.

I would never be so rude as to ignore someone who extended their hand to me for a handshake greeting.

Of course when entering restaurants etc & the staff wai I smile & nod because in that situation it just seems more

a business welcome/thanks. Also again vs handshake those folks are out of reach & in my mind waving smile.png

Edited by flying

I wai every Thai person who wais me other than small children. It is a heck of a lot easier than trying figure out who I am supposedly superior to..

If all expats followed this straightforward method, there wouldn't be any need for this subject to come up time and time again.

Rule of thumb, is to never wai. I am farang, and with it goes the dispensation on the need to wai. That does not mean tossing manners and politeness aside. I suggest that one watch some youtube showing public functions where foreign diplomat and senior business execs are exchanging greetings with Thais. The diplomatic style bow is the preferred means of greeting. I have given a proper 45 degree bow to esteemed professors and a minister or two along with the greeting Good Afternoon Professor, the mention of title ensures that the object of the bow's hierarchal position is acknowledged.

Bowing only realy works , in my lowly opinion , when the the bower is wearing a smock and green leggings and delivers the "Good Afternoon M'lord " with a lisp and hand flutter .

Bowing only realy works , in my lowly opinion , when the the bower is wearing a smock and green leggings and delivers the "Good Afternoon M'lord " with a lisp and hand flutter .

Funny, I don't recall having you as a guest at the manor before...