Noisy Neighbors

PattaniMan

I have a strange problem here in glorious Pattani.

At the risk of appearing racist, I have a neighbor who is black.

And at the further risk of appearing racist, my neighbor is disgustingly noisy.

In case you haven't guessed, my neighbor is in fact a bird. He's about as big as a crow and has (I think) an orange beak.

AND HE IS SO BLOODY LOUD.

His cry (or call, or song) consists of two syllables. It's kind of ...............

1. whoo whoo; or

2. ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh

The cry repeats itself four or five times, and each time it gets louder and louder and louder.

What bird is this?

Minah bird?

Teach him to say suggestive words to passers by.

No, not a minah bird. I know what you mean, though. At first I thought he must be some kind of parrot or toucan (assuming such birds actually live here in Thailand).

But I saw him today in the trees just outside the balcony. He's big and black and looks very ordinary.

And he's AMAZINGLY loud!

Minah bird?

Teach him to say suggestive words to passers by.

No, not a minah bird. I know what you mean, though. At first I thought he must be some kind of parrot or toucan (assuming such birds actually live here in Thailand).

But I saw him today in the trees just outside the balcony. He's big and black and looks very ordinary.

And he's AMAZINGLY loud!

I hear them all the time up here in Phetchabun ,I am not aware of the name,mostly prominent in the mornings and and about this time of the day,as I can hear them as I write.Actually I believe it's nok dee wow or something along those lines,a previous thread on here discussed it.

Edited by stoneyboy

Good feedback. I checked everything ........ but couldn't find it.

A similar bird is called a Drongo. And another bird (also similar) is called a Myna.

I hear them all the time up here in Phetchabun ,I am not aware of the name,mostly prominent in the mornings and and about this time of the day,as I can hear them as I write.Actually I believe it's nok dee wow or something along those lines,a previous thread on here discussed it.

Here, they seem to be loudest at about 4pm - 5pm.

Good feedback. I checked everything ........ but couldn't find it.

A similar bird is called a Drongo. And another bird (also similar) is called a Myna.

PM, try a different tact. Instead of directing your search towards Thai birds, give Malay birds a go.

Edited by zzaa09

No birds here bigger than a sparrow, if something lands in the village everyone is racing for their guns. Issans version of fast food. Jim

Old Wives Tale, Jimmy.

Not round here it's not, first thing visitors notice, no birds. Walks crawls, flies or swims, it's in the pot. Hear gun fire every day, nok rifles. Jim

yes we got them as well every evening just before dusk,like a pack of apache indians,but our dog howls like a wolf at them and that seems to do the trick,get youself an alaskan malamute.this came up for discusion in the pets section,coucal was mentioned but these are not so who knows what they are.

yes we got them as well every evening just before dusk,like a pack of apache indians,but our dog howls like a wolf at them and that seems to do the trick,get youself an alaskan malamute.this came up for discusion in the pets section,coucal was mentioned but these are not so who knows what they are.

I believe they are coucal.

Edited by stoneyboy

i know these birds big brown wings every morning/evening calling for a mate our dog goes nuts 3am in the morning,what i saw big black birds with orange beaks and i definately was not in a bar.

i know these birds big brown wings every morning/evening calling for a mate our dog goes nuts 3am in the morning,what i saw big black birds with orange beaks and i definately was not in a bar.

Lack of steak.

I think I know the ones but don't know the name. We called them black seagulls. They were bigger than mynah birds. Songkla had them everywhere.

You know the bird I mean. The name SEAGULL is appropriate. I'm about 5 km from the sea, and about 100 km south of Songkhla / Hat Yai.

I'll check out the name COUCAL as per that other guy's post.

It's probably a bird called a Koel. Very common.

They are big, black, and have an orange beak and are very noisy.

Active in the mornings and just before dusk.

I believe you are close - just the video below shows it native elsewhere. Perhaps a cousin. I've heard those also and wondered what was making the noise.

• Like 1

Here's a Koel in Bangkok. Does it look/sound the same?

Yep -- that's the one. Notice how this bird sounds a bit different to the bird in your first video.

Thanks very much for your help.

Actually -- at first -- I thought the noise may have been from a baboon or possum.

Yep -- that's the one. Notice how this bird sounds a bit different to the bird in your first video.

Thai accent? biggrin.png

Actually -- at first -- I thought the noise may have been from a baboon or possum.

I hear them around my place but never saw them and also thought it was some kind of monkey but figured highly unlikely in Chiang Mai.

I believe you are close - just the video below shows it native elsewhere. Perhaps a cousin. I've heard those also and wondered what was making the noise.

I don't know about Pattani, but, there are definitely Koels in my garden in Phuket. They are black and are true Koels, not cousins.