Is It Normal To Not Acknowledge You If You Give Them Way?

wellred

Maybe in Thailand, what you all are complaining of is not seen as rude here in Thailand so they are not being rude, and when you react differently, they think you are odd? You can compare cultures, but you can not condemn another one just because it is not the same as yours; try China if you want to see a real difference of culture. On the flip side, imagine a Thai web board saying how bad farangs are because they stick their older relatives in old folks homes and never visit them; or you not sending your mother money every month as a sign of respect whether she needs it or not; or not paying a dowry to your Farang wife's family and worse still expecting them to pay for the wedding; and at the wedding giving someone a toaster as opposed to a handful of cash.

I would not really care about the Thai webboard. Anyway some things are universal and transcend culture. The driving is awful here because of lack of real policing and training. I am sure Thais would learn fast enough to drive good if they were in Europe because there are consequences to their actions. Now they can be as selfish as they want without any trouble.

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good example of true thainess is when they drive. Hidden behind a silver or tinted window and they will show there true colours. Risking everything to save a few seconds. Never giving way. Flashing there lights at you whilst tail gateing (in other words, get the fck out my way)

Have you ever driven a vehicle in your own or other countries? Motorists are the same everywhere.

This is not correct, in the UK I find other drivers to be very gracious compared to the selfish drivers in Thailand..

Oh, no, hang on I've got that the wrong way round..

• Like 1

Maybe in Thailand, what you all are complaining of is not seen as rude here in Thailand so they are not being rude, and when you react differently, they think you are odd? You can compare cultures, but you can not condemn another one just because it is not the same as yours; try China if you want to see a real difference of culture. On the flip side, imagine a Thai web board saying how bad farangs are because they stick their older relatives in old folks homes and never visit them; or you not sending your mother money every month as a sign of respect whether she needs it or not; or not paying a dowry to your Farang wife's family and worse still expecting them to pay for the wedding; and at the wedding giving someone a toaster as opposed to a handful of cash.

Good call.

I would not really care about the Thai webboard. Anyway some things are universal and transcend culture. The driving is awful here because of lack of real policing and training. I am sure Thais would learn fast enough to drive good if they were in Europe because there are consequences to their actions. Now they can be as selfish as they want without any trouble.

Let's hope they learn the wisdom of your ways, soon huh?

You should play the same game. If you make eye contact you have lost, a thai walking towards you will not move, no eye contact they will move, try it. Today in Big C walking really slowly ( thai style) in front of lots of locals, walking towards obstacles so they cannot get by etc all the things you see everyday, she gave my mate a really bad look, I laughed, she wont get the message, forgotten tomorrow.

The bottom line is this...They are not aware of what is going on around them...... just remember that, when they walk slowly in front of you, get in front and do the same, exiting escalators or what ever, play them at their own game and smile, same in markets when they are on the motorbike, stop and use the phone, try not to get wound up its a different culture, adapt, now go and try it, works a treatcowboy.gif

Im gonna try that next time i go to tesco's. Just stand there with my shopping trolly parked in the centre of the aisle pretending no one else is around.

Let us know how you get on, remember to have vacant look on your face!

a good example of true thainess is when they drive. Hidden behind a silver or tinted window and they will show there true colours. Risking everything to save a few seconds. Never giving way. Flashing there lights at you whilst tail gateing (in other words, get the fck out my way)

Have you ever driven a vehicle in your own or other countries? Motorists are the same everywhere.

Oh, no, hang on I've got that the wrong way round..

It gets so f****g tedious after a while, doesn't it? Whine whine whine whine.

Why aren't things like they are at home, people whine? Could it possibly - just possibly - be because you're in a foreign culture with different values?

Why do you move half way round the world and then expect people to behave in the same way as the place you moved from?

Agreed, I remember being in the US and there were a couple of Thais on an escalator blocking the way and after a couple of "ahem, ahems" they still did not budge so I shouted "get the <deleted>#* out of my way," they sheepishly moved and I said "this is America, here you are the "falang," if you don't like it go the hell back to Thailand." "I love my country."

They looked very shocked.cowboy.gif

Every country has its set of social norms. For the most part, it isn't better or worse than everywhere else. It just 'is'.

Thai's don't bitch or moan or view slow walking, lack of overt graciousness etc etc as offensive. It is just part of your day. If others aren't being offended by it, why should you?

Remarkable though, if the shoe was on the other foot, this thread would be full of hotheads complaining about how immigrants back home don't fit in and thus as a result, how the country is going to the dogs etc etc.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Actually i have driven in my home country and here and the difference is crazy. I really had to adapt to driving back home when i was there for a visit. It was such a difference in how polite people were. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the law and good driving is enforced in Holland.

I first drove in Thailand 17 years ago after having come from Saudi Arabia and my first impresion was Thais are very polite when driving.

That seems to have changed over the years though, whether it's the drivers with more vehicles on the road, or my impressions of them I'm not sure.

I do notice though that when I give way to someone and signal them to go, whether car, motocy or pedestrian, most acknowledge it, although some don't.

Let's hope they learn the wisdom of your ways, soon huh?

Yes o great Bendix, we cant complain we should just accept. Why is it so hard to accept there are some things the Thais could learn from us and it would actually improve things.

I don't want it to be here as it is at home, but certain things certainly can improve.

I bitch enough about my old country too.

You should play the same game. If you make eye contact you have lost, a thai walking towards you will not move, no eye contact they will move, try it. Today in Big C walking really slowly ( thai style) in front of lots of locals, walking towards obstacles so they cannot get by etc all the things you see everyday, she gave my mate a really bad look, I laughed, she wont get the message, forgotten tomorrow.

The bottom line is this...They are not aware of what is going on around them...... just remember that, when they walk slowly in front of you, get in front and do the same, exiting escalators or what ever, play them at their own game and smile, same in markets when they are on the motorbike, stop and use the phone, try not to get wound up its a different culture, adapt, now go and try it, works a treatcowboy.gif

I had to laugh at that. It's true much of the time. I deal with all obnoxious people the same way and actually make a game of it. I am lucky that most of the time I'm not in a hurry and can enjoy pissing off people when they try to barge ahead. I hate silver vans with a passion but on a motorbike I have to give way... same with trucks.

Every country has its set of social norms. For the most part, it isn't better or worse than everywhere else. It just 'is'.

Thai's don't bitch or moan or view slow walking, lack of overt graciousness etc etc as offensive. It is just part of your day. If others aren't being offended by it, why should you?

Remarkable though, if the shoe was on the other foot, this thread would be full of hotheads complaining about how immigrants back home don't fit in and thus as a result, how the country is going to the dogs etc etc.

Samran i usually agree with you however i do feel Thailand could learn a lot traffic wise from the West. We got a lot lower number of traffic deaths.

Its pure logic, about things like culture you can argue because there is no one superior culture. But simple safety and enforcing of rules.. locking up corrupt officials and so would not make Thailand a bad place.

Why do you move half way round the world and then expect people to behave in the same way as the place you moved from?

Agreed, I remember being in the US and there were a couple of Thais on an escalator blocking the way and after a couple of "ahem, ahems" they still did not budge so I shouted "get the <deleted>#* out of my way," they sheepishly moved and I said "this is America, here you are the "falang," if you don't like it go the hell back to Thailand." "I love my country."

I think you might have skipped 'pardon me, please move as you are blocking the way'. But that is good to know that I can go from an 'ahem' to a full on 'f$&?' you next time I am in the US.

Samran i usually agree with you however i do feel Thailand could learn a lot traffic wise from the West. We got a lot lower number of traffic deaths.

Its pure logic, about things like culture you can argue because there is no one superior culture. But simple safety and enforcing of rules.. locking up corrupt officials and so would not make Thailand a bad place.

Suggest you search through my old posts to see where I have endorsed corruption or bad driving. Suggest you search for posts where the TV brains trust think it is alright to slip the copper 100 baht or where they wonder why they were being picked on when they are doing 150km/h down the freeway.

I think you might have skipped 'pardon me, please move as you are blocking the way'. But that is good to know that I can go from an 'ahem' to a full on 'f$&?' you next time I am in the US.

What you fail to realize was that the ahems were met with eye contact (they looked right at me and dismissed me as non-important, just as they would do in Thailand) but we were however, not in Thailand.

In the cities I frequent in the US, blocking an escalator will result in people shouting obscenities at you, that is the nature of our culture. If you don't like it don't come to our country and block escalators.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

What you fail to realize was that the ahems were met with eye contact (they looked right at me and dismissed me as non-important, just as they would do in Thailand) but we were however, not in Thailand.

In the cities I frequent in the US, blocking an escalator will result in people shouting obscenities at you, that is the nature of our culture. If you don't like it don't come to our country and block escalators.

Again, I thank you foran illuminating insight into US culture. Can I just ask if my reply should be accompanied with an Uzi being waved in their face, or is hand to hand physical violence more acceptable?

Driving 80 MPH in a 70 today on the Interstate in Texas in moderate to heavy traffic and I had cowboys in their pickup trucks riding my bumper trying to fly up my ass, so Thailand is not unusual in that regard. I eventually moved over when I could work my way into the slower lanes without delaying us to let them pass.

Edited by ronz28

Again, I thank you foran illuminating insight into US culture. Can I just ask if my reply should be accompanied with an Uzi being waved in their face, or is hand to hand physical violence more acceptable?

More like verbal abuse, especially in NY

Edited by Kilgore Trout

More like verbal abuse, especially in NY

Yep. The civilised centre of the universe.

One more thread compaining about Thai behaviour compared to other west cultures. Massive generalisation of Thai people (+60 milj) and demands of changes to make things better. For who?

About the original question, what is "normal" depends of how you are raised and educated and in what culture. There is no such things as a global "normal". But I suppose you mean "is it normal in Thai culture". I would say YES, it is normal to show gratitude and thankfulness in Thai culture. But in many tourist district like Pattaya there are so many rude foreigners with lack of respect for Thai people that they come to meet up with the same attitude. I don't meet this attitude in Korat. The Thai people is smiling here!

In Thailand the way to show gratitude is to raise your hands together and bend your head, how often have you done this?

Edited by mackes
  • Like 1

Perhaps Thais could learn from Kilgore's eloquent words, and next time he complains about Thais blocking escalators they can tell him that "we are in Thailand now" shut the f++**** up"?

I'm not complaining about Thais blocking escalators in Thailand, my comment is in response to the Thai apologist who said "Why do you move half way round the world and then expect people to behave in the same way as the place you moved from?"

My point is that with regards to that sentiment; Thais who are in the US should not expect people to act the way Thais do in Thailand; they should understand that people in different cultures behave differently and that the onus is on them to adapt.

Hence, this is typical in NY, if you block an escalator you will receive a verbal bashing. Fair enough, right?

It would be wrong to generalize and say that all Thais are polite, or that they are all rude, but in my experience I would say the majority are pleasant and well mannered.

I moved to Thailand in 1999 so my experience is not that short-lived..

Don't move to Thailand and expect it to be like your Motherland, it is not.

Don't move to Thailand and expect it to be like your Motherland, it is not.

Indeed. That's the whole point in moving here.

Seems that for many, the point in moving to Thailand is to spend every waking hour in front of a computer complaining.

• Like 1

Its the same as other places. I call it City Syndrome...

People in a large city become ignorant, arrogant and rude....

In Thailand as with anywhere else, when you hold a door open for someone or give way in some manner, some acknowledge the act, some don't. The kindly act and acknowledgment of such exists to a lesser degree the larger the town or city.

The last time this happened to me I got annoyed with a group of women (nationality unknown) entering Harrods in London. I stopped and held the door open for them, they proceeded to walk through without so much as a nod of thanks so I simply let the door go. When the next woman looked at me with disdain I curtly informed her how I'm not the door man !.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1