มี + Verb

ChAoS87

I have notice recently its ok to use 'มี + verb' such as 'มีทอนไหม?' - is there any change, 'มีเรียนไหม' - is there any learning? Initially i thought you cant mix มี with a verb but only pair with a noun.

A verb is a doing word.

Change can be a verb...he will change his clothes. Or a noun....give me the change please.

This is for English but a verb is still a verb and a noun a noun in THai so what you are seeing are nouns.

One clue, if you can put "the" in front of the word it is a noun.

Edited by harrry

It depends on how you are going to treat it, as an English equivalent it mostly can be taken as the verb To have. Thai makes a distinction and calls it an adjective when there is no object, but I have no trouble considering it intransitive. As a verb this would show his ownership เขามีเงิน or control over เขามีลูก. เงิน ลูก being the objects of the verb.

ทอน is a verb and shouldn't be used as you have it. ทอน means to cut or slice away (not physically ตัต หัน ) to produce a ท่อน which is a part of a whole. similar to ตอน the smaller part of the whole. However that noun ท่อน is not what you mean by giving change. ทอนเงิน is to give change which I suppose would be understood as เงินทอน the noun, 'change'. So I think it should be; มีเงินทอนไหม which I would say means either; do you have or am I entitled to change. ไม่ทอนก็ได้ seems like an acceptable thing to say to people.

As to เรียน I think that you can see why you wouldn't try it. Have a look at การเรียน ศึกษา การสึกษา they don't look to me like they would be owned or appear but they could be part of a whole programme of events couldn't they?

Here we have sport, learning and social interaction.

Well I can only speak for นัด the noun.

มีนัด the subject of this combination is the owner of an appointment or arrangement, this would make the owner one of two or more people involved in the verb นัด done earlier.

In มีขาย it is anyone's guess, true ขาย is a verb but there is no context to those two words and since they aren't in the dictionary one can only speculate.

For example if you substitute English words; have sell / sell have, it doesn't make sense.

What people say and write may not be grammatical but that does't make it impossible to understand; for 'have sell' one possibility is that it means; have things to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Then there is มีขาย and มีนัด .. Both obviously aren't objects but verbs. Just go to any search engine to type, its being typed my thais ..

I'm pretty sure มีขาย is just a lazy way of saying มีของขาย, and as tgeezer said, นัด is being used as a noun ie. appointment.