Austrian MD of Red Bull Company falls to his death from Pattaya Apartment Complex

Rimmer

On a side note. I have been around a friend who is involved with a lot of construction throughout Thailand and he commented how they love to make balcony rails too low, just below the waist. I slight stumble close to the rail can have dire consequences. As for being on the balcony naked, who doesn't like to do that sometimes?

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be an implication from the article that this was suicide over health issues.

I don't know. If I were about to throw myself off a balcony to "end it all," I don't think I'd do it naked?

Regardless, RIP, Mr. Schmidberger.

I share your view! If someone wants to end his life, why should he first undress? What is the purpose of this act? I suspect more than suicide...

But let's keep it clean as the moderators asked for. It's deeply regretted but very suspicious!

What makes you feel that someone who is single isn't already undressed? Why would you suspect more than suicide?

I do not think this man was the MD of the Red Bull Gmbh Company. I doubt he was high up in the Red Bull management structure, there is no mention of him on the Red Bull website. They are talking about the Red Bull Cliff Diving Qualifiers on the home page but I don’t think he was a contestant.

Does anyone know if this man was the MD of the Red Bull Gmbh Company or the MD of some branch of Red Bull.

I apologise if I am way off the mark here, but when I see posts thanking him for all he has done for extreme sports and I cannot see any strong links that he in fact was the MD of Red Bull, well I have to question...

It is, indeed, a cowardly act.

Jerk - how about some pity rather than disdain? And who are you to judge, if someone chooses to end their life that's their decision.

Not that I think this is actually suicide anyway, seems to be the standard way to dispatch troublesome farang in Pattaya, must be dozens per month given the ones that don't make the press we see, dangerous place to live.

And the connection with wealth is obvious - that much more motivation; even if it isn't a case of "follow the money", a rich man has more opportunities to seriously interfere with powerful evil people, and more likely to be mixing in those circles.

Formula to happiness in the LOS: keep your lifestyle low to the ground, keep your head down, don't mess with anyone's rice bowl, if you're rich keep it secret.

"Jerk"? (I'm going to add that to the list; so far I have been called "simple minded" and "thick.")

I don't find that pity is called for when someone commits suicide. Neither did I express any disdain. You have read too much in my comment.

And, yes, I do find suicide a cowardly act.

Further, because a wealthy man dies, you appears to automatically imagine that he must have been mixing with powerful evil people?

You have a very active imagination.

The mods may have suspended them for calling you names.

As it happens they are claiming there was a note on another link written in both Thai and English but not German.

"The Languages of Austria include German, the official language and lingua franca, Austro-Bavarian, the main language outside Vorarlberg, Alemannic, the main language in Vorarlberg, and several minority languages."

The link is in Thai

http://breakingnews....356〈=T&cat=

Edited by wxyz
  • Like 1

There seems to be an implication from the article that this was suicide over health issues.

I don't know. If I were about to throw myself off a balcony to "end it all," I don't think I'd do it naked?

Regardless, RIP, Mr. Schmidberger.

You can understand that a terminally ill person might choose the time and place for their end, but not that they might choose to do it naked?

Splitting hairs aren't you?

Missing the inference completely : 'naked' meaning perhaps not alone at the time, and further, perhaps not suicide.

Why would you imagine that naked means not alone? Plenty of people who live alone don't wear clothes.

Many people commit suicde naked.. We come into the world naked, maybe they wish to leave the same way.

The seriously depressed mind is difficult to understand.

Very sad for his family and friends.

• Like 1

Mr. Schmidberger no doubt deserves our collective respect... facing the consequence of his mortality, he may have been a lonely man, as his health became diminshed... it seems he was a single man as the report mention nothing about Family....My friends ,know this, "let the dead bury the dead".....the rest of us from some commentary are better suited as critics for grade B movies and spell-checkers for the Oxford Dicksonary...

• Like 1

a lot of assumptions that it was suicide because of cancer. i didnt read that in the article.

all i read is another farang falls to his death from a pattaya balcony.

Nope cancer can cause sudden dizziness or loss of balance without warning especially in advance stages as the calcium levels rise in the body from the tumors growth and cancers advancement, but of course anything is possible.

How's this for more ironic thought, Red Bull just finally one an F1 Championship....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Jerk - how about some pity rather than disdain? And who are you to judge, if someone chooses to end their life that's their decision.

Not that I think this is actually suicide anyway, seems to be the standard way to dispatch troublesome farang in Pattaya, must be dozens per month given the ones that don't make the press we see, dangerous place to live.

And the connection with wealth is obvious - that much more motivation; even if it isn't a case of "follow the money", a rich man has more opportunities to seriously interfere with powerful evil people, and more likely to be mixing in those circles.

Formula to happiness in the LOS: keep your lifestyle low to the ground, keep your head down, don't mess with anyone's rice bowl, if you're rich keep it secret.

absolutely +1

Nope cancer can cause sudden dizziness or loss of balance without warning especially in advance stages as the calcium levels rise in the body from the tumors growth and cancers advancement, but of course anything is possible.

How's this for more ironic thought, Red Bull just finally one an F1 Championship....

They have not "just" won an F1 Championship, they were winners for the last 2 years in a row!

Being on pain meds he could have been disoriented and dizzy then in a depressed state he could have been leaning on the railing and fell, i don't like getting close to my condo balcony railing at all if i have been drinking. There was a case about 3 months ago where a 25 year old German on holiday fell from a 7th floor balcony "They surmise that the dead man had been drinking and had simply fallen off of the balcony and do not suspect foul play in any way". But an investigation into who will benefit from this man's wealth should be done. RIP.

Edited by Rainmon

Suicide by jumping off a building, it is pretty rare outside of Thailand isn't it? Whether clothed or naked, I just don't hear of it happening on such a large scale anywhere else?

Nah, quite common down in here Singapore too. Lots of tall building and depressed/stressed people. Though over the last year, a number of people have taken to drowning themselves in our water reservoirs. Almost one a month now.

Sad that people reach this point of despair....

• Like 1

Where else do you hear of people falling from a condo to end it all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097225/Whats-point-shes-dead-What-man-watched-girlfriend-fall-death-told-police-leaping-her.html

'What's the point if she's dead?' What man who watched girlfriend fall to her death told police before leaping after her

Fact is, Pattaya has a very large concentration of high rise condos. Probably more than Bangkok has. It also has the highest concentration of ex-pat retirees living in those condos in the country. As a percentage of suicides or accidents, and as a national percentage, I would guess the incidents we hear about in Pattaya reflect those statistics even if I can't support that with figures.

It is sad but not overly surprising that they happen and that we remember them as being more frequent than they might actually be.

I think there are a lot of things about this story that have been left out, or are simply unknown. I can understand, to some degree, a suicide if death from cancer in imminent, but not naked, and not by diving from the 18th floor of a condo. There are other ways that would, in my mind, seem somewhat more "appropriate". Something about this story just doesn't sound right.

How many farangs in Pattaya die every year by suicide falling from or jumping from a high rise some even with their hands tied, sin city.

Such a sad ending for any person.

• Like 1

Where is the SUICIDE NOTE?

Movie fiction. And assuming he had anyone in his life that he cared about enough to write to.

Many suicides are not meticulously planned and executed. A balcony and some booze or pills to loosen the inhibitions are a quick and easy option that can be used with only a split seconds thought.

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 1

Where is the SUICIDE NOTE?

Movie fiction. And assuming he had anyone in his life that he cared about enough to write to.

Many suicides are not meticulously planned and executed. A balcony and some booze or pills to loosen the inhibitions are a quick and easy option that can be used with only a split seconds thought.

As it happens they are claiming there was a note on another link written in both Thai and English but not German.

"The Languages of Austria include German, the official language and lingua franca, Austro-Bavarian, the main language outside Vorarlberg, Alemannic, the main language in Vorarlberg, and several minority languages."

The link is in Thai

http://breakingnews....356〈=T&cat=

Edited by wxyz

A real curse that red bull on our kids....I see kids drinking it for breakfast

Seems to me the real curse would be the parents for not teaching and guiding them properly about what is proper to drink.. Let's all just crawl in a can and let everyone else tell us what we're allowed to drink, eat and think I for one don't need some one legislating my life's decisions I'm quite capable of doing that myself in fact they just get in the way and make it more difficult..

Having said that I've never had a Red Bull I know it's effects on me or my children wouldn't be good with the amount of caffeine in contains.. See how that works?? I did that all by myself, try it sometime..

• Like 1

I think there are a lot of things about this story that have been left out, or are simply unknown. I can understand, to some degree, a suicide if death from cancer in imminent, but not naked, and not by diving from the 18th floor of a condo. There are other ways that would, in my mind, seem somewhat more "appropriate". Something about this story just doesn't sound right.

I'm wondering what you see as being "appropriate" as a method for suicide.

"Suicide is for cowards" another, sadly typical, macho, "nothing can reduce me to that stage" statement. Meaningless and untrue.

Over 40 years ago I worked for the original Samaritans organisation in London, shortly after I arrived in Thailand in the early '70's I was one of the founder members of the Bangkok Samaritans.

Suicide is never an easy option - and forget about the “old wives” lore which claims that those who talk about committing suicide never really intend to do it, that too is nonsense.

In London, and later in Bangkok I have talked with over 120 people who were truly intent on committing suicide, and to my certain knowledge, despite everything I and others tried to do to help them, 37 eventually did kill themselves. Certainly some of these were down and outs, homeless, drug addicts etc., but many were educated and successful people who simply could not adapt or accept a sudden change in their circumstances or lifestyle.

Certainly, some of these people were talking to us in the faint hope that we would be able to suggest a way out of their predicament, but the majority simply wanted to talk to someone, even – maybe even preferably – a stranger to explain their decision and assert that it was not a character deficiency which brought them to this final decision, simply an acceptance that their lives had failed and it was time to move on.

On another subject this man was apparently not directly connected with Red Bull, the main Company. It seems he lived in Mombassa, Kenya, was the local Distributor for Red Bull and was an Austrian citizen.

People have connected "Red Bull" and "Austria" and made a wrong assumption.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone
  • Like 2

They have not "just" won an F1 Championship, they were winners for the last 2 years in a row!

I stand corrected but I meant that they just won it as in this season just ended..

It's a shame this is another perfect example of money not buying everything including the most coveted possessions of love or friendship all this man has financially and he suffers his illness alone and dies that way too, what a shame..

Somewhere it was mentioned an 800,000b disagreement with the hospital? What hospital here lets you leave the premises with a balance of any kind let alone an 800,000b balance? So there's some major holes in that theory as I see it besides the unlikelihood that any such confrontation occurred given his worth..

BTW he's my long lost uncle, where to go to file my claim.....

Being on pain meds he could have been disoriented and dizzy then in a depressed state he could have been leaning on the railing and fell, i don't like getting close to my condo balcony railing at all if i have been drinking. There was a case about 3 months ago where a 25 year old German on holiday fell from a 7th floor balcony "They surmise that the dead man had been drinking and had simply fallen off of the balcony and do not suspect foul play in any way". But an investigation into who will benefit from this man's wealth should be done. RIP.

Just out of curiosity what law prevents one from raising their own railing to proper safe height? That's what I'd do immediately instead of being fearful of it.. Set an example of how to do it properly..

"Suicide is for cowards" another, sadly typical, macho, "nothing can reduce me to that stage" statement. Meaningless and untrue.

Over 40 years ago I worked for the original Samaritans organisation in London, shortly after I arrived in Thailand in the early '70's I was one of the founder members of the Bangkok Samaritans.

Suicide is never an easy option - and forget about the “old wives” lore which claims that those who talk about committing suicide never really intend to do it, that too is nonsense.

In London, and later in Bangkok I have talked with over 120 people who were truly intent on committing suicide, and to my certain knowledge, despite everything I and others tried to do to help them, 37 eventually did kill themselves. Certainly some of these were down and outs, homeless, drug addicts etc., but many were educated and successful people who simply could not adapt or accept a sudden change in their circumstances or lifestyle.

Certainly, some of these people were talking to us in the faint hope that we would be able to suggest a way out of their predicament, but the majority simply wanted to talk to someone, even – maybe even preferably – a stranger to explain their decision and assert that it was not a character deficiency which brought them to this final decision, simply an acceptance that their lives had failed and it was time to move on.

On another subject this man was apparently not directly connected with Red Bull, the main Company. It seems he lived in Mombassa, Kenya, was the local Distributor for Red Bull and was an Austrian citizen.

Patrick

I wonder if the next time you reply to one of my message if you would "test the waters" to see if you truly understood the basis for my message.

Wouldn't you find it a bit more civil if you wrote someting like, "I don't believe what you wrote to be true and wonder if you would elaborate."

In this way you would get your point across without invalidating someone else's opinion.

My feeling concerning suicide has its basis in deeply religious grounds. Life is a gift and not for us to destroy.

I applaud your work with the Samaritans.

By the way, I am probably the antithesis of what you might consider the typical macho stereotype.

A real curse that red bull on our kids....I see kids drinking it for breakfast

Seems to me the real curse would be the parents for not teaching and guiding them properly about what is proper to drink.. Let's all just crawl in a can and let everyone else tell us what we're allowed to drink, eat and think I for one don't need some one legislating my life's decisions I'm quite capable of doing that myself in fact they just get in the way and make it more difficult..

Having said that I've never had a Red Bull I know it's effects on me or my children wouldn't be good with the amount of caffeine in contains.. See how that works?? I did that all by myself, try it sometime..

It tastes lousy by itself, hence people do a Jägerbomb, the Jägermeister covers up its bad taste.

The Jägerbomb is a bomb shot cocktail that is mixed by dropping a shot of Jägermeister into a glass of Red Bull or other energy drinks.

"The amounts of guarana, taurine, and ginseng found in popular energy drinks are far below the amounts expected to deliver either therapeutic benefits or adverse events. However, caffeine and sugar are present in amounts known to cause a variety of adverse health effects." Extreme overdose can result in death.

Red Bull contains taurine (from which it gets its name), glucuronolactone, sucrose, and glucose. Red Bull sugar-free also contains aspartame, acesulfame K, and sucralose in place of sucrose and glucose.

Red Bull GmbH also manufactures Red Bull Cola, containing the coca leaf, which has sparked a controversy in Germany regarding minute traces of cocaine.

Red Bull is sold in the PRC in two versions: a regular strength version in a short, wide gold and red can, and an 'Extra' strength version in a taller, thinner, blue and silver can more like sold in western countries. Neither version is carbonated.

Extreme overdose can result in death. Maybe he should have just ODed on Red Bull.

Edited by wxyz

Patrick

My feeling concerning suicide has its basis in deeply religious grounds. Life is a gift and not for us to destroy.

Well the "gift" in this case was beyond it's shelf life. What about when that life is at it's end and served it's purpose with nothing more then suffering ahead, is it still being "destroyed" or the end just being expedited on one's own plan. Doesn't a thinking human being have that right of personal determination? I see now the problem with your comments and opinion as it is always a problem for the "deeply religious" to allow others their own life's beliefs without interference but you must remember it's not YOUR life, do with your's what you wish and allow others to make their decisions without judgmental, religious bias..

Taking your own life is never "cowardly" unless you take other innocents with you, incidentally another tool of another recently prominent, "deeply religious" cult and they believe just as strongly as you that their cause is righteous too.. However they're just as mistaken and misguided for thinking so...

On occasion it may be considered selfish though. People who are not diagnosed as terminal or who have been fighting a terminal illness for long periods have no informed clue of the effects it has on a person and their family and even they may get relief from not watching their loved one deteriorate into nothing and suffering not to mention the families financial resources.

A terminally ill person who has controlled their entire life suddenly has NO control over anything the more they deteriorate and that's hard for many thinking, free willed people to confront and this is the ONLY decision they have COMPLETE control over the rest of their lives, literally. It's a way of taking back the control the disease commandeers over one's life..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes, indeed.

Edited by crab

Quote…….."Suicide is for cowards" another, sadly typical, macho, "nothing can reduce me to that stage" statement. Meaningless and untrue.

I agree with that statement. It seems strange to me that as human beings we put ourselves at the top of tree as regards evolution because of our superior ability to communicate, think, rationalise, strategise, love and show emotions and so on, and we use these abilities when we make a decision to euthanise an animal. We make a decision that the animal is suffering too much; has no useful life left; has no quality of life etc. etc. so we end it for them out of compassion.

But do we apply the same principles or logic to a human being, absolutely not. We are prepared to let someone we love dearly fade away to a mere gaunt and yellow skinned skeleton, and nothing like the person we knew (or how they wished to be remembered), in much pain and unable to control their bodily functions, lacking dignity and respect for themselves, and we do it under the guise of what?

Given the chance to wind the clock back a few months, many of the folk I knew would have been only too pleased to have departed this mortal coil on their own terms and without extreme suffering, and I know that for a fact.

The medical profession know that as well and that is why euthanasia, despite what is publicly stated, does take place at the hands of doctors and medical professionals.