Austrian MD of Red Bull Company falls to his death from Pattaya Apartment Complex

Rimmer

One would have to be a sadomasochist to force another human being to suffer every last second from their terminal disease.

I don't see jumping as an appropriate painless method however.

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969)

"Soylent Green" (1973)

For me a lethal oral injection of expensive aged single malt scotch and a Cubano cigar would be preferable.

Maybe a few bottles of Dalmore 50 year old Single Malt Whisky should do it.

If not, then getting boinked to death would be a nice chaser.

Edited by wxyz

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about this guy. But there seems to be a large problem in Pattaya involving people falling from tall buildings.

That wasn't a problem back in the 1960s because there were no tall buildings in Pattaya.

I wonder if the next time you reply to one of my message if you would "test the waters" to see if you truly understood the basis for my message.

Wouldn't you find it a bit more civil if you wrote someting like, "I don't believe what you wrote to be true and wonder if you would elaborate."

I am not interested in any "elaboration" you may have to offer old chap - my knowledge about the subject is based on actual personal experience of many similar situations, your opinion is merely based upon giving credence to what most people believe to be little better than a fairy tale.

Patrick

I think if you are going to speculate about all the foreigners that are apparently jumping off buildings, you should not ignore the large number of other incidents of questionable suicide and accidental death. Last year in Phuket, a Swedish man was found dead in his condo, having died from wounds that appeared to be stab wounds. PhuketWan reported that he was murdered, and they also printed several statements they quoted from police officers, saying that "we are hunting for the killers" and various other remarks about an apparent murder case. The Phuket Gazette printed a story about the same incident, and said that the poor man had a horrible accident, having fallen backward on a broken whiskey bottle, and dying from his wounds. Just a few days later, PhuketWan changed their story, and said they made a mistake, however the editor has refused to answer any questions about these statements from police officers at the scene? This story appeared to be nothing more than a blatant cover-up, right out in the open, playing out in the local media. Perhaps it is stories like this that make so many of us suspicious every time we hear of a jumper, or somebody hanging themselves from a doorknob, or suffering from some bizarre accident?

• Like 2

"then there are the suspicious-sounding "suicides" – jumping from balconies seems to be a favoured method.)"

The number of deaths of British nationals' in Pattaya is hard to ascertain – though some sources claim that it is up to four every week, neither the FCO nor the Thai authorities have any data they are prepared to release. However, what can be speculated with some confidence is that of the 226 average annual deaths of British citizens in Thailand recorded by the FCO, a large percentage are in Pattaya. (The FCO refuse to list causes of deaths, so we must also speculate as to the reasons for this morbid hotspot. Anecdotal evidence suggests straightforward causes of death for some, such as road accidents and health problems; then there are the suspicious-sounding "suicides" – jumping from balconies seems to be a favoured method.)

http://www.independe...ere-769640.html

Edited by wxyz

If anybody can read German then check out this link below. It will give you a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND VERY NEGATIVE VIEW OF THIS GUY. Kurier is one of the 2 main newspapers in his home country.

http://kurier.at/nac...us-18-stock.php

Interesting, nice looking ladies in the pic, it could be suicide or maybe murder, with all that past baggage. Somebody he owed money to may have found out he was in Pattaya and maybe had him thrown naked off the balcony.

Edited by wxyz

Suicide by jumping off a building, it is pretty rare outside of Thailand isn't it? Whether clothed or naked, I just don't hear of it happening on such a large scale anywhere else?

Nah, quite common down in here Singapore too. Lots of tall building and depressed/stressed people. Though over the last year, a number of people have taken to drowning themselves in our water reservoirs. Almost one a month now.

Sad that people reach this point of despair....

and of course these are tourist..............

Too many people (farang) die in Thailand for supposed suicide.

About time the authorities did something abount serious investigation.

the same could be said about the numerious Jet-Ski scams all over Thailand,

for which even lots of video and photo evidence exists.

However, they are still going on after so many years without a bit of action by

the authorities other than cheap words, words, words.

As a matter of fact, there is no interest in law or safety in Thailand,

not to speak of any forward thinking of the consequences of such incidents,

all that matters is money. Here. Right now. As much as possible.

• Like 1

There seems to be an implication from the article that this was suicide over health issues.

I don't know. If I were about to throw myself off a balcony to "end it all," I don't think I'd do it naked?

Regardless, RIP, Mr. Schmidberger.

I probably would not have the nerve to do it so I'd pay someone to throw me over naked or not.

Well the "gift" in this case was beyond it's shelf life. What about when that life is at it's end and served it's purpose with nothing more then suffering ahead, is it still being "destroyed" or the end just being expedited on one's own plan. Doesn't a thinking human being have that right of personal determination? I see now the problem with your comments and opinion as it is always a problem for the "deeply religious" to allow others their own life's beliefs without interference but you must remember it's not YOUR life, do with your's what you wish and allow others to make their decisions without judgmental, religious bias..

Taking your own life is never "cowardly" unless you take other innocents with you, incidentally another tool of another recently prominent, "deeply religious" cult and they believe just as strongly as you that their cause is righteous too.. However they're just as mistaken and misguided for thinking so...

On occasion it may be considered selfish though. People who are not diagnosed as terminal or who have been fighting a terminal illness for long periods have no informed clue of the effects it has on a person and their family and even they may get relief from not watching their loved one deteriorate into nothing and suffering not to mention the families financial resources.

A terminally ill person who has controlled their entire life suddenly has NO control over anything the more they deteriorate and that's hard for many thinking, free willed people to confront and this is the ONLY decision they have COMPLETE control over the rest of their lives, literally. It's a way of taking back the control the disease commandeers over one's life..

I certainly understand your position.

Briefly, I do believe that each of us has free choice which includes suicide.

And, I certainly never said that anyone should interfere with this right of the individual, except for the obvious ones of stealing, killing, etc.

With the above in mind and after having read your thoughts, I do still believe that suicide is never the best option.

I wonder if the next time you reply to one of my message if you would "test the waters" to see if you truly understood the basis for my message.

Wouldn't you find it a bit more civil if you wrote someting like, "I don't believe what you wrote to be true and wonder if you would elaborate."

I am not interested in any "elaboration" you may have to offer old chap - my knowledge about the subject is based on actual personal experience of many similar situations, your opinion is merely based upon giving credence to what most people believe to be little better than a fairy tale.

Patrick

I believe you have perhaps misinterpreted my last message.

Regardless of our respective positions on this subject and before you read something into my message that was not there, I was asking that your communication take on a tone of civility, old chap.

Edited by jshorts

RIP Mr. Harald Schmidberger, it strange way for a very rich man to go

What do you see as the relationship between wealth and suicide? I don't understand.

Well with all his wealth, there surely are much less violent ways to end ones life. In Switzerland one can go to a hospice type of place, take a chemical compound and just go to sleep. Why strip off and jump 18 floors.

No this happens far to many times in places like Pattaya and very often a woman is involved somewhere down the line. So lets say, it was just another Pattaya/Falang ending. RIP. I very much doubt if the BIB will bother further, it is too easily solved as it is .

• Like 1

There seems to be an implication from the article that this was suicide over health issues.

I don't know. If I were about to throw myself off a balcony to "end it all," I don't think I'd do it naked?

Why wouldn't you do it naked?

On the other hand, why bother to get undressed first ?

I share your view! If someone wants to end his life, why should he first undress? What is the purpose of this act? I suspect more than suicide...

But let's keep it clean as the moderators asked for. It's deeply regretted but very suspicious!

This, to all purposes, an intelligent man. Took the time to undress, but did not bother to leave a suicide note..............perhaps his "helper" could'nt write English or German ?

On a side note. I have been around a friend who is involved with a lot of construction throughout Thailand and he commented how they love to make balcony rails too low, just below the waist. I slight stumble close to the rail can have dire consequences. As for being on the balcony naked, who doesn't like to do that sometimes?

Do they all manage to fall off ?

If anybody can read German then check out this link below. It will give you a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND VERY NEGATIVE VIEW OF THIS GUY. Kurier is one of the 2 main newspapers in his home country.

http://kurier.at/nac...us-18-stock.php

I just went on and used translate. Worked ok.

jb1

Thanks for the link, Beggar, and thanks for pointing out to the public that you don't have to know German to read it.

Google translate works reasonably well to get the gist of the story, but I beg the usual suspects NOT to use it as a source for further wild speculation as some translations are rather vague or misleading. The key points of the article:

Mr. Schmidberger was a notorious disco-owner whose most courageous project, the huge Nachtwerk disco club, was too big compared to demand, leaving a debt of ap. 600.000 EUR. Mr. Schmidberger moved to Kenya in 1997 where he became the sole national importer of Red Bull. According to Red Bull, business relations were terminated in 2005. In 2011 Mr. Schmidberger moved to north Pattaya. He was found dead and naked in front of a highrise building. Suicide is likely.

Imitation is a big problem with suicides. Austrian newspapers don't report suicides by jumping in front of metro trains any longer, and the frequency of that particular method dropped to 1/3 of its former level. The phenomenon was observed in Thailand when a movie (or was it a soap) showed a girl hanging herself. The frequency of jumpers (active and passive alike) in Pattaya may well be a consequence of the very pictorial reporting.

Finally, Mr. Mateschitz and Khun Yoovidhya most likely are alive and healthy. For those who still didn't notice: this is NOT about THE Red Bull guy.

Why wouldn't you do it naked?

On the other hand, why bother to get undressed first ?

Living alone, why would he bother to get dressed in the first place?

I think there are a lot of things about this story that have been left out, or are simply unknown. I can understand, to some degree, a suicide if death from cancer in imminent, but not naked, and not by diving from the 18th floor of a condo. There are other ways that would, in my mind, seem somewhat more "appropriate". Something about this story just doesn't sound right.

I'm wondering what you see as being "appropriate" as a method for suicide.

It is, indeed, a cowardly act.

i never understand that term, why is it a cowardly act?, if ones state of mind is so bad and theres no end in site from a problem its one way to end it. i remember the poor waiter in the 9/11 twin towers jump being branded a coward. unless you have been there mentally its some thing you could never explain, but i certainly would not consider it cowardly.

I think there are a lot of things about this story that have been left out, or are simply unknown. I can understand, to some degree, a suicide if death from cancer in imminent, but not naked, and not by diving from the 18th floor of a condo. There are other ways that would, in my mind, seem somewhat more "appropriate". Something about this story just doesn't sound right.

i never understand that term, why is it a cowardly act?, if ones state of mind is so bad and theres no end in site from a problem its one way to end it. i remember the poor waiter in the 9/11 twin towers jump being branded a coward. unless you have been there mentally its some thing you could never explain, but i certainly would not consider it cowardly.

It's a cowardly act because one does not face his problems head on.

If one's state of mind is so bad then seek help before it gets to the point of commiting suicide.

It's a cowardly act because one does not face his problems head on.

If one's state of mind is so bad then seek help before it gets to the point of commiting suicide.

No better expression of meeting your problems head on in a case where your problems lead to your inevitable premature demise without your intervention anyways....

Edited by WarpSpeed

I share your view! If someone wants to end his life, why should he first undress? What is the purpose of this act? I suspect more than suicide...

But let's keep it clean as the moderators asked for. It's deeply regretted but very suspicious!

This, to all purposes, an intelligent man. Took the time to undress, but did not bother to leave a suicide note..............perhaps his "helper" could'nt write English or German ?

As it happens they are claiming there was a note on another link, written in both Thai and English but not German.

"The Languages of Austria include German, the official language and lingua franca, Austro-Bavarian, the main language outside Vorarlberg, Alemannic, the main language in Vorarlberg, and several minority languages."

The link is in Thai

http://breakingnews....356〈=T&cat=

Edited by wxyz

jshorts holds strong religious views which dictate that suicide is wrong; however those same religious views do not prevent him calling a dead man he never knew - who obviously had problems he cannot know about - a coward.

jerk.gif

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone