Austrian MD of Red Bull Company falls to his death from Pattaya Apartment Complex

Rimmer

Austrian falls to his death from North Pattaya Apartment Complex

PATTAYA: -- An Austrian Energy Drink Company Executive has fallen 18 floors to his death from a North Pattaya Apartment Complex.

In the early hours of Monday, Police and Rescue Workers were called to the Saranchol Condo in Soi Wongamart in Naklua by Security Guards who discovered the naked body of Mr. Harald Schmidberger aged 60 from Austria, who is listed as a Managing Director of the Red Bull Company which originates from Austria.

He had fallen from the balcony of his 18th floor apartment and was pronounced dead-at-the-scene. An inspection of his apartment took place and a variety of medications to treat Cancer was found.

Staff at the complex confirmed that Mr. Schmidberger appeared in a depressed state over the last 7 days which they assume is connected to his illness as he lived alone. The Austrian Embassy in Bangkok has been informed.

Source: http://www.pattayaon...rtment-complex/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-02-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be an implication from the article that this was suicide over health issues.

I don't know. If I were about to throw myself off a balcony to "end it all," I don't think I'd do it naked?

Regardless, RIP, Mr. Schmidberger.

• Like 1

Isn't Red Bull not originated in TH? Krating Daeng

Red Bull was developed by an Austrian company from the Liptovan product he found in Thailand. That is what gave him the idea but I have no idea what the relationship is. But I think this is correct.

It takes a brave man to end his life that way, it takes a brace man to face his cancer. Either way ..................... condolences and deep feelings for the guy.

yes, Red Bull originate from Thailand, an Austrian guy, Mr. Mateschitz made 20 years ago a deal with the Thai owner to distribute Red Bull outside of Thailand, today he is multi billionaire, all the sports ads you see worldwide come from him

There seems to be an implication from the article that this was suicide over health issues.

I don't know. If I were about to throw myself off a balcony to "end it all," I don't think I'd do it naked?

You can understand that a terminally ill person might choose the time and place for their end, but not that they might choose to do it naked?

Splitting hairs aren't you?

• Like 1

Red Bull was developed by an Austrian company from the Liptovan product he found in Thailand. That is what gave him the idea but I have no idea what the relationship is. But I think this is correct.

It takes a brave man to end his life that way, it takes a brace man to face his cancer. Either way ..................... condolences and deep feelings for the guy.

+1

Do the Thais really have an investigation to figure out if somebody has helped him to fall off?

There are so many other ways for suicide than jumping from 18th floor. Sorry, just my thoughts, because too many foreigners fall or jump down from buildings in LOS......may he rest in peace........... jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Maybe this is why Thais let foreigners buy condos here. Does not sound like suicide to me. Where else do you hear of people falling from a condo to end it all. Something wrong but the police have their excuse not to bother to investigate I guess. All nice and cleanly wrapped up!!!!!!!

• Like 1

You can understand that a terminally ill person might choose the time and place for their end, but not that they might choose to do it naked?

Missing the inference completely : 'naked' meaning perhaps not alone at the time, and further, perhaps not suicide.

• Like 1

Red Bull (Krathing Daeng) originated in Thailand. From Wikipedia"

Red Bull took many marketing and ingredient ideas from an energy drink in Thailand called Krating Daeng. Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian entrepreneur, developed the Red Bull Energy Drink brand. Mateschitz was the international marketing director forBlendax, a toothpaste company, when he visited Thailand in 1982 and discovered that Krating Daeng helped to cure his jet lag.[14] Between 1984 and 1987, Mateschitz worked with TCBG Pharmaceutical (a Blendax licensee) to adapt Krating Daeng for the European market. At the same time Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya founded Red Bull GmbH; each investing $500,000 of savings, giving it to Ieuan Griffiths and taking a stake in the new company. Chaleo and Dietrich each held a 49% share of the new company. They gave the remaining 2% to Chaleo's son Chalerm, but it was agreed that Mateschitz would run the company.[15] The product was launched in 1987 in Austria, in a carbonated format.

Why wouldn't you do it naked?

The mere fact that he had cancer medication may not be that significant. If he has prostate cancer ,the most common cancer for men over 50, the rate of metastasis is so slow that about 85% of the men who have contracted it die of something else. And there are very few symptoms. With research being as advanced as it is, many other cancers can be slowed down. On the other hand, the fact that he was nude raises a range of other possibilities.

I think there are a lot of things about this story that have been left out, or are simply unknown. I can understand, to some degree, a suicide if death from cancer in imminent, but not naked, and not by diving from the 18th floor of a condo. There are other ways that would, in my mind, seem somewhat more "appropriate". Something about this story just doesn't sound right.

I'm wondering what you see as being "appropriate" as a method for suicide.

It is, indeed, a cowardly act.

Maybe this is why Thais let foreigners buy condos here. Does not sound like suicide to me. Where else do you hear of people falling from a condo to end it all. Something wrong but the police have their excuse not to bother to investigate I guess. All nice and cleanly wrapped up!!!!!!!

I don't understand what relationship there is between a foreigner buying a condo and suicide. What are you implying?

If someone jumps from his balcony, what is so difficult to understand?

Missing the inference completely : 'naked' meaning perhaps not alone at the time, and further, perhaps not suicide.

Why would you imagine that naked means not alone? Plenty of people who live alone don't wear clothes.

Suicide by jumping off a building, it is pretty rare outside of Thailand isn't it? Whether clothed or naked, I just don't hear of it happening on such a large scale anywhere else?

How many suicides do you actually hear about? I don't believe that the western press gives this topic much space.

Well when people overdose on prescription drugs, or slit their wrists, or take their lives in their own home, you might not hear about it. When somebody jumps off the 18th floor of a building, it makes one hell of a mess, and I am sure everyone in the neighborhood hears about it. That's the thing, I can't think of it ever happening where I come from, but it happens almost weekly around here?

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you do it naked?

I agree . Given the mental state of an individual that has reached the point of self destruction, why would you find that the means or acts that this person carries out should be judged by what a "normal" person would do. A normal person, given a normal event, would do normal, or near normal things. Taking ones life isn't normal, usually committed by persons suffering from an extreme mental disorder. I feel sad that he had no one it seems to turn to for help. I would never judge a mans acts when he finds himself beyond hope, doesn't cause direct harm to others in his effort to find peace with himself. God rest his soul.

• Like 1

Suicide by jumping off a building, it is pretty rare outside of Thailand isn't it? Whether clothed or naked, I just don't hear of it happening on such a large scale anywhere else?

How many suicides do you actually hear about? I don't believe that the western press gives this topic much space.

Well when people overdose on prescription drugs, or slit their wrists, or take their lives in their own home, you might not hear about it. When somebody jumps off the 18th floor of a building, it makes one hell of a mess, and I am sure everyone in the neighborhood hears about it. That's the thing, I can't think of it ever happening where I come from, but it happens almost weekly around here?

Perhaps it is because of the type of person who comes to Thailand? I don't believe people who move to Thailand are particularly representative of the greater world population.
  • Like 1