What Is The Maximum Atm Withdrawal?

tfc

I've got an Australian debit card and in Australia the withdrawal limit for my card is $500 but I've been able to withdraw $1500 over here from the ATM (Aeon) and am curious if anyone knows if there is a maximum limit to how much I can withdraw from the machines?

Usually 20,000 baht per transaction. The daily limit is set by your bank back home, not the machine.

Yup, that's right. Except AEON will permit 40k baht withdrawals; other Thai banks are at 20k. But the total daily amount you can withdraw is set in Australian dollars by your Australian bank.

• Like 1

AEON 40,000 B per transaction, no fees

Bangkok Bank 25,000 B per transaction, 150 B fee

Other Banks (minus Ayuthaya Bank) 20,000 B per transaction, 150 B fee

Ayuthaya Bank has lower limit and higher fee, at least at the location where I tried (Phi-Phi) so I said Screw that, and never tried them again.

Daily limit is set by your bank.

You can request an increase in the daily limit from your own bank. They are happy to oblige in most circumstances as long as your account has a history of being in good standing and you have a good reason for the increase. Trying to save fees on transactions overseas would be regarded as a good reason.

Some of the info above is not correct....

There are various limits that come into play here...

One as the OP noted is the home country currency amount limit associated with his card and home bank account, usually on a so much per 24 hour period basis for total ATM withdrawals.

Then there's the limit on Thai ATMs... Different machines have different limits, not in total baht that they'll dispense, but instead on total number of paper bills they'll dispense per transaction. But since the normal bill denomination is 1,000 baht and a lot of the machines will do a maximum of 25 bills per withdrawal, 25,000 is a common per transaction limit from the ATM machines themselves.

But as noted, AEON ATMs do tend to dispense a larger quantity of bills, maybe up to the amount referenced above -- if that doesn't exceed your home country bank's card limit. AEON ATMs also are one of the two kinds in Thailand that don't charge the 150 baht fee on withdrawals done with non-Thai bank cards.

The other is Thailand Citibank ATMs, which are only located in Bangkok. I've never tried to pull the 60,000 baht amount one poster mentioned above, since that amounts to about $2000 U.S., and would be over the 24 hour withdrawal limit that most banks place on their card withdrawals. But I'd be surprised if the Citibank ATMs would actually dispense 60 bills for a single withdrawal.

Some of the info above is not correct....

There are various limits that come into play here...

One as the OP noted is the home country currency amount limit associated with his card and home bank account, usually on a so much per 24 hour period basis for total ATM withdrawals.

Then there's the limit on Thai ATMs... Different machines have different limits, not in total baht that they'll dispense, but instead on total number of paper bills they'll dispense per transaction. But since the normal bill denomination is 1,000 baht and a lot of the machines will do a maximum of 25 bills per withdrawal, 25,000 is a common per transaction limit from the ATM machines themselves.

But as noted, AEON ATMs do tend to dispense a larger quantity of bills, maybe up to the amount referenced above -- if that doesn't exceed your home country bank's card limit. AEON ATMs also are one of the two kinds in Thailand that don't charge the 150 baht fee on withdrawals done with non-Thai bank cards.

The other is Thailand Citibank ATMs, which are only located in Bangkok. I've never tried to pull the 60,000 baht amount one poster mentioned above, since that amounts to about $2000 U.S., and would be over the 24 hour withdrawal limit that most banks place on their card withdrawals. But I'd be surprised if the Citibank ATMs would actually dispense 60 bills for a single withdrawal.

As a rule of thumb it is the home bank that is the problem in regards to the limit set. In my experience and that of many others the home bank will raise the limit of requested. You are imposing your experience on the rest of us and saying that we are incorrect. Have you considered that some of us may have a better relationship with our home banks than you do?

Incidentally, one friend of mine makes a point of drawing cash from the teller inside the Kasikorn Bank ( not the ATM, actually from the teller at the counter). He reckons he doesn't get charged an fees for doing so. I've never put his theory to the test, has anyone else came across that?

Incidentally, one friend of mine makes a point of drawing cash from the teller inside the Kasikorn Bank ( not the ATM, actually from the teller at the counter). He reckons he doesn't get charged an fees for doing so. I've never put his theory to the test, has anyone else came across that?

Whenever I've withdrawn money inside the bank (have to show passport) there has been no fee. Friends have reported same. Seems more secure.

• Like 1

SCB doesn't charge the 150 either.

Thais can change their daily limit by keying their id card number into the ATM once logged in up to the bank's daily limit.

Are you saying that SCB doesn't charge a fee for foreign ATM withdraws? That is news to me. I always use AEON when I use my foreign ATM just to avoid the thai atm fee charged by most.

It's also news to me that AEON will give up to 40k in 1 pull. I honestly just assumed that 20k was the max but for sure the next time I need to do a pull I will try a higher amount as my bank will allow more than 20k in 24hr period.

As for using a SCB bank card to pull funds from an SCB ATM.. I have managed to pull out 200k in 1 day. Of course you can only get 20k out per draw (actually 20 bills as was previously mentioned) but them you just stick the card in and pull out another 20k and so on. So yes, that's 10 transactions to get the 200k and if you manage to drain the machine just go to another. You can increase the standard daily limit at the ATM but I believe you must have your ID card number to do this.

Edited by Jayman

Thais can change their daily limit by keying their id card number into the ATM once logged in up to the bank's daily limit.

Are you saying that SCB doesn't charge a fee for foreign ATM withdraws? That is news to me. I always use AEON when I use my foreign ATM just to avoid the thai atm fee charged by most.

It's also news to me that AEON will give up to 40k in 1 pull. I honestly just assumed that 20k was the max but for sure the next time I need to do a pull I will try a higher amount as my bank will allow more than 20k in 24hr period.

As for using a SCB bank card to pull funds from an SCB ATM.. I have managed to pull out 200k in 1 day. Of course you can only get 20k out per draw (actually 20 bills as was previously mentioned) but them you just stick the card in and pull out another 20k and so on. So yes, that's 10 transactions to get the 200k and if you manage to drain the machine just go to another. You can increase the standard daily limit at the ATM but I believe you must have your ID card number to do this.

Using a HSBC overseas bank card in SCB ATMs produces no 150 baht fee...

• Like 1

great to know.. thanks for that.

Whenever I've withdrawn money inside the bank (have to show passport) there has been no fee. Friends have reported same. Seems more secure.

Great thanks for that, I think this information needs wider coverage, can you post a topic with this information please, it will save a lot of people on Thaivisa a lot of money.

The big AEON ATMs will actually dispense at least 90'000 Baht (from own experience),

Technically I guess the limit will be 100'000 Baht (100 notes).

I actually withdrew 90'000 once and 80'000, 60'000 a couple of times.

If one doubts I can post a anonymized scans of the slips.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As a rule of thumb it is the home bank that is the problem in regards to the limit set. In my experience and that of many others the home bank will raise the limit of requested. You are imposing your experience on the rest of us and saying that we are incorrect. Have you considered that some of us may have a better relationship with our home banks than you do?

I didn't comment at all above on whether home banks vs. Thai banks were most often the "problem" with ATM limits. I simply pointed out that both home banks and Thai ATMs have their own separate kinds of limits.

Likewise, I didn't comment at all on the notion of an account holder asking their home bank to raise their withdrawal limit. So I'm really not sure what comment of mine you're referring to.

The point I was referring to, in regard to saying some posters above were incorrect, was some assertion that all Thai banks have a 25,000 baht per withdrawal limit, which they don't. Some ATM machines have that limit, but others have different amounts. That's the correct info.

The thing you're referring to above is called a counter withdrawal. And it typically involves using your ATM card inside with the teller, who will generally want to see your passport as part of the transaction, so you'll need to be carrying that with you.

There are a couple of potential pitfalls to counter withdrawals, despite their advantage of typically not having a 150 baht foreign card withdrawal fee from the Thai bank.

1. Based on a lot of member comments on the subject here, some banks and tellers will refuse to do them, and instead insist that the customer go and use the ATM instead. Nothing absolute about that, but rather, it seems to be a hit and miss kind of proposition. But it does introduce some uncertainty into the process.

2. Some folks, myself included, are reluctant to be carrying around our original passport because of the hassles and grief that will ensue if one's original passport is lost or stolen. Those hassles including getting a replacement passport and then having to get one's visa/extension of stay stamps replaced.

3. Some Thai banks, most notably Siam Commercial, have a reputation for using a significantly lower exchange rate on counter withdrawals than would occur if you were using regular Thai bank ATMs. For counter withdrawals, SCB is using their own (lower) Dynamic Currency Conversion rate, whereas the Thai ATMs are using the (higher) VISA/MC international network rates most of the time.

So yes, counter withdrawals can be an advantage and alternative to traditional ATM withdrawals...so long as people doing them are aware of the potential pitfalls...and don't get taken advantage of re exchange rates.

Yep, the AEON ATMs will certainly dispense at least 40,000 per pull. Any higher than that, I've never tried myself. But others say they will.

Most people's home bank cards, at least from the U.S., have a $500 or perhaps at most $1,000 daily ATM withdrawal limit... which is only about 15,000 to 30,000 baht. So most people never try to go much higher.

But on the AEON ATM video menu screen, the withdrawals page has a bunch of preset withdrawal amounts you can choose with buttons, all of them amounts under 10,000 baht. But at the bottom right of that menu screen, there's a button choice for "Other." Pick that button, and then you'll have a number pad screen that will prompt you to select the amount of your choosing.

There have been various reports of SCB ATMs not charging the 150 baht foreign card ATM fee for SOME types of cards issued from SOME countries.

But to the best of my knowledge and based on the various reports from TV members here, I don't believe SCB has abandoned the 150 baht ATM fee, and foreign card holders in general are probably more likely to still get charged that fee by SCB ATMs than they are to avoid it... The reported exceptions here have been fairly narrow.

Also, member 2unique above didn't mention, as far as I saw, what country his HSBC card was issued in that he was able to use without fee at SCB ATMs. HSBC, of course, issues cards and operates in a variety of different countries.