Possible Atm Problem In Patong. Help Please?

samantha47

Firstly apologies as I have also posted this to another site as I need to get the info if I can but then I fond this site which appears more used.

Has anyone had any problems of false transactions in ATM machines ? I am particularly interested in a certain ATM at Patong Beach Immediately next to Baan Lamai restaurant? As this is one of the very few machines which will accept my link/maesro card from a uk bank I have been using this machine to get money from my account. What seems to happen is that everyime I withdraw an amount –say 10000 bt, within 24 hours a duplicate withdrawal is made from my account by some method unknown. Now I know that no one else has my PIN number, No-one was standing so they could see my number as I entered and I know for sure that it wasn’t me as I keep a careful eye on how much and when I withdraw. My bank are looking into it but I don’t hold out any luck as they will just say that it was me. So far over £200 has gone and it happens every time I used this one machine. Someone told me that some time ago there was a scam where somehow money was taken in this way but it was about 2 years ago , mainly in Australia I was told. On this particular machine there was a ‘bar code; type label immediately under where you take the money out and I thought this may have been something to do with it but the new atm machine which went up a 100yard or so up also had this on so it probably wasn’t. I would like to know if anyone had the same problem as it may give me more ammunition for my bank. thanks

I suspect that your transaction is just getting entered twice and will be resolved in your favor. I don't understand how it can be "method unknown" as the system should have a clear record of charges. I would expect continued use/withdrawals if they have skimmed your card and have your PIN. I assume that the ATM mentioned belongs to a major bank here? I would not use any that were not so marked. A card reader can be inserted into the card slot to record your ATM information and a mini camera placed in nearby area to record PIN but those that resort to that should be greedy enough to empty your account rather than use a one on one withdrawal.

I would change the method you use. If you are using 10,000 fast cash try entering the amount instead - it sounds to be as if the transaction is being processed on-line but then again off-line so changing the method might solve the problem.

I suspect that your transaction is just getting entered twice and will be resolved in your favor. I don't understand how it can be "method unknown" as the system should have a clear record of charges. I would expect continued use/withdrawals if they have skimmed your card and have your PIN. I assume that the ATM mentioned belongs to a major bank here? I would not use any that were not so marked. A card reader can be inserted into the card slot to record your ATM information and a mini camera placed in nearby area to record PIN but those that resort to that should be greedy enough to empty your account rather than use a one on one withdrawal.

Yes at first i thought that somehow the transaction had been duplicated pending clearance or something but the amounts have definately been withdrawn twice out of my account but only once by me. I can only hope that it gets sorted out but i will have to wait and see

I suspect that your transaction is just getting entered twice and will be resolved in your favor.  I don't understand how it can be "method unknown" as the system should have a clear record of charges.  I would expect continued use/withdrawals if they have skimmed your card and have your PIN.  I assume that the ATM mentioned belongs to a major bank here?  I would not use any that were not so marked.  A card reader can be inserted into the card slot to record your ATM information and a mini camera placed in nearby area to record PIN but those that resort to that should be greedy enough to empty your account rather than use a one on one withdrawal.

Yes at first i thought that somehow the transaction had been duplicated pending clearance or something but the amounts have definately been withdrawn twice out of my account but only once by me. I can only hope that it gets sorted out but i will have to wait and see

Try a different machine if the same problem arises then...prob account related or all atms are bad. If it doesnt I'd stay away from the problem machine.

Edited by britmaveric