Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme (30 Day Stamp On Airport Entry)

I'm British and recently booked my airline tickets - into & out of Thailand - with the assumption I needed these tickets *and* confirmed hotel stay.

Now today I read here [ http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2649 ] to my shock and horror:

"foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry"

Well a quick glance at my passport means I'm not welcome in Thailand then!

My place tickets are now worthless pieces of paper I guess.

"foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry"

That rule went out of the window more than 3 years ago.

I'll surely be in contact with Thai immigration tomorrow about this to get the facts. It seems there has been some chops and changes to the rules that coincide with the recent change of political power.

What Police order are you referring to, beechguy ? Thanks.

I'll surely be in contact with Thai immigration tomorrow about this to get the facts. It seems there has been some chops and changes to the rules that coincide with the recent change of political power.

I did an edit and posted the link, this was effective November, 2008. It got to be too much trouble for them to calculate everyones situation, so they changed the "visa exempt" entries to 30 days if entering by air and 15 days if entering at a land crossing, no limitations.

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004), 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), and 23 June 2554 (2011), passport holders from 48 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time.

- Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these countries.

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Ok, I read the Police Order.

It does *not* say anything about 90 days per six months.

In fact; It might simply be the Order that changes the land border stamp time from 30 days to just 15 ...but without seeing Clause 3 pre-2008, it's just guess work.

I did an edit and posted the link, this was effective November, 2008. It got to be too much trouble for them to calculate everyones situation, so they changed the "visa exempt" entries to 30 days if entering by air and 15 days if entering at a land crossing, no limitations.

Yes, Thanks for the link.

edit: I've just noticed a second page on the PDF you linked to that with the information about the 2006 order. I will now say a little prayer before I presently read and digest this information wai.gif lol

Edited by RandomSand

Ok, I read the Police Order.

It does *not* say anything about 90 days per six months.

In fact; It might simply be the Order that changes the land border stamp time from 30 days to just 15 ...but without seeing Clause 3 pre-2008, it's just guess work.

Attached National Police Order RTP608EN effective1st October 2006 with the old Clause 3 - hope this serves to calm your paranoia - the Visa Exempt 90/180 is no longer applicable.

rtp608EN.pdf

Thanks for rapid help with this matter, Lite Beer and beechguy, I very much appreciate your input.

Still, to be honest I'm a little uneasy about putting myself in the line of fire at Suvarnabhumi Airport when I've been in Thailand for basically 18 months continually via various tourist Visas already.

Are Tourists having problems with entry into Thailand with overly discretionary immigration officials at this time ?

Thanks for rapid help with this matter, Lite Beer and beechguy, I very much appreciate your input.

Still, to be honest I'm a little uneasy about putting myself in the line of fire at Suvarnabhumi Airport when I've been in Thailand for basically 18 months continually via various tourist Visas already.

Are Tourists having problems with entry into Thailand with overly discretionary immigration officials at this time ?

If you're that uneasy, then perhaps best to stay home.

We are here, you are there. A lot of the people that are here, are here because they have been leaving and re- entering on visa exempt entries for a long time and spending more than "90 days max in six months". If you don't want to believe the people that are here, then stay there. Or get a proper VISA!

• Like 2

Are you in the UK or Thailand? On December 21st you appear to have been in Thailand from your below post so is this a trip to the UK you are talking about? If so why not obtain a visa there?

Hi Charlie, I'm trying to get more information on what you mentioned as I've been in Thailand for 18 months on a combination of 30 day airport stamps, 15 day land stamps and 1 double entry from Laos. I now want to get a double entry again but cannot go to Laos as got the red stamp. Do you know where I could find information about the current views of Thai immigration ?

Are you in the UK or Thailand? On December 21st you appear to have been in Thailand from your below post so is this a trip to the UK you are talking about? If so why not obtain a visa there?

Hi Charlie, I'm trying to get more information on what you mentioned as I've been in Thailand for 18 months on a combination of 30 day airport stamps, 15 day land stamps and 1 double entry from Laos. I now want to get a double entry again but cannot go to Laos as got the red stamp. Do you know where I could find information about the current views of Thai immigration ?

I'm in Thailand with tickets booked for a hop over to a neighboring country with Jetstar airways.

Edited by RandomSand

OP

Your not giving much away, you are giving hardly any information, your age, where you have booked tickets to, what you are hoping to get,how long you intend to stay etc.etc.

In your op, you say "i have booked tickets into and out of Thailand", yet in post 19 you say you are in Thailand with tickets booked to a neighboring country, but no clue as to what you are hoping to get/achieve with this trip, if you are just trying to reenter Thailand on a 30day visa exempt entry, you will need a ticket back out of Thailand within 30 days.

If you have been here for 18 months on all types of visa exempt entry and one tourist visa, isn't it about time you sorted something out a bit more permanent.

Edited by lopburi3
remove blank pages

I'm now in Thailand again having returned from a day trip to get the 30 day stamp.

Officer at immigration on arrival didn't ask to see the departure ticket which I have already had.

Cheers all.

Edited by RandomSand