Government's Water Discharges Causes Ayutthaya To Flood: Thai Agriculture Ministry

webfact

Government's water discharges causes Ayutthaya flood: Agriculture Ministry

image_201202081501255BFB3892-0D06-580A-1260C3A93B4FB4DA.png

BANGKOK, Feb 8 – Thailand’s Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry on Wednesday admitted that the current flood in Sena district of Ayutthaya resulted from intentional water discharges from two major dams further north.

Nikorn Chamnong, adviser to the agriculture and cooperatives minister, explained that the ongoing flood in Sena district was unusual.

He explained that it was caused by water discharge from the Bhumibol and Sirikit dams in Tak and Uttaradit as the two facilities began discharging water as planned by the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM) to prevent possible flooding later in the rainy season.

According to the water resources management agency, the water storage levels of both dams were expected to be reduced to 45 per cent of their storage capacity on May 1.

However, overall Sena is not severely affected by the flooding, except for low-lying riverside areas where river water overflowed its banks, Mr Nikorn said. The relevant authorities have been ordered to closely monitor the situation and to remain on standby to help flood-stricken residents as the Bhumibol Dam will discharge 66 million cubic metres of water per day and Sirikit Dam will release 44 million cubic metres of water per day.

Last year, the country’s worst flooding in decades hit the central province of Ayutthaya, submerging historical sites as well as five industrial estates: Saha Rattana Nakhon, Bang Pa-in, Rojana, Hi-Tech and Factory Land.

The five estates are valued at about Bt200 billion in total investment capital and employ more than 200,000 workers.

In a related development, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was scheduled to inspect the provinces along the riverways on Feb 13-17 to follow up on the repair work of dams and sluice gates that were damaged by the flood last year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-02-08

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"However, overall Sena is not severely affected by the flooding, except for low-lying riverside areas where river water overflowed its banks, Mr Nikorn said. The relevant authorities have been ordered to closely monitor the situation and to remain on standby to help flood-stricken residents..."

Should we assume the residents were told of this event and its potential repercussions BEFORE it happened, so that they could prepare?

Should we assume the residents were told of this event and its potential repercussions BEFORE it happened, so that they could prepare?

cheesy.gif

Wasn't someone saying on here earlier today how well the government had managed the floods?

Edited by whybother
  • Like 2

More water released from dams to handle monsoon season

BANGKOK, 8 February 2012 (NNT) - Waters in major dams have continuously been released so that the dams could take in more rain water during the monsoon season.

Authorities have begun to release water in the Bhumibol Dam in Tak Province in December and will continue to do so until April in order to rid the dam of over 7 billion cubic meters of water. If things go according to the plan, the authority expects the dam to be able to handle 3-4 monsoon storms, set to be in from May onwards, dumping more than 6.5 billion cubic meters of water into the area.

Meanwhile, the Sirikit Dam in Uttradit province has been releasing 49 million cubic meters of water each day, with more to be released before the rainy season approaches three months from now. The released water benefits farmers in the Nan River, given they can grow corn, peanut, and other produce, which are currently fetching high prices.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-08 footer_n.gif

Geeeezzz people give them a break for gods sake.

It's funny how people think that Governments should become magicians when it comes to nature. How could anyone have possibly predicted the latest floods and prepare for that?

It's like saying that Alberta Canada should prepare for a volcanic eruption for god sakes. Yes maybe it could happen but do you think they should start actually preparing for one?

Let's not forget the Big Guy here in Thailand when he invented a machine that could create rain and helped Australia with its drought. There are some smart people involved here don't kid your self. Also did they not already say that they are working with some countries that have exp. with floods to get advice etc?

I'm not sure what half of you people think they should do? Or maybe you have a better laid plan?

Ok a country who was not prone to mass flooding incurred it after years and years of years being populated and now they are dealing with it the best they can I think.

Scientists, Engineers, Governments etc. have all made progress in one way or another and mostly due to trial and error.

Yes maybe the people could have been warned but then again maybe they were. Do you know for sure?

The only people I saw during the mass floods really complaining heavily were the farangs. Us. Most Thai's I saw were laughing and going about their business in their make shift boats etc and still enjoying their life. Yes for sure the ones that suffered the most (fatalities, crops) etc. were suffering but they dealt with it.

After it was over they just wanted compensation for their loss but did not blame anyone for an act of nature.

I for one am glad that the government is trying to deal with preventive maintenance.

• Like 2

Wasn't someone saying on here earlier today how well the government had managed the floods?

Haven't most of the armchair experts that frequent tv said "To prevent a repeat of last year all they have to do is empty the dams now" hit-the-fan.gif

I certainly puts the problem in to perspective and also raises yet again the question of who was actually responsible for the floods last year and not discharging the water from the dams in time.

Using the figures above, to reduce Thailands largest dam to 45% capacity involves releasing 7 billion cubic metres which, if released at 66 million cbm a day takes over 100 days and still causes some mimimal flooding in the dry season.

Nikorn Chamnong, adviser to the agriculture and cooperatives minister, explained that the ongoing flood in Sena district was unusual.

In other words, we have no idea what we're doing.

But hey, they're still having a self-congratulatory, pat themselves on the back party for doing an outstanding job with last years floods, which, btw, still remain in areas.

post-6428-0-91881700-1328696241_thumb.jp

I won't. Now they are panic-releasing water from the reservoirs and are flooding exactly the same area where they want to build their 300km flood wall at the tremendous speed of 3 km per day. At 10 hours daylight this means 10 metres every minute. And Yingluck will travel upcountry to tell the people to plant little trees and build little dams.

This government is nothing but a mass assembly of incompetence.

It's funny how people think that Governments should become magicians when it comes to nature. How could anyone have possibly predicted the latest floods and prepare for that?

<snip>

What has nature got to do with this flooding?

Sure, there's not much the government could have done to stop the flooding last year, but this flooding is ENTIRELY man made.

The engineers amongst us (and probably those non-engineers with a bit of common sense) will understand what a 'closed loop' control system is. Monitor what is happening and control the input accordingly.

i.e. Watch what is happening downstream and if it looks like flooding will occur soon reduce the quantity of water being released. If it rains, reduce the release proportionately. The system will have massive inertia so make sure there is plenty of leeway. It really isn't rocket science.

• Like 2

It is the type of BS that the Government puts out more lies, who can believe them.

This was posted today at around 9 A.M.;

Posted Today, 09:00

Chao Phraya River overflows, inundating Ayutthaya's Sena District, officials say unseasonal rain caused high water level, not water discharged from dams /MCOT

and at 16:08 this afternoon MCOT posted this so I guess the lies are stil comming and no-one takes responsibilty.

• Like 1

I won't. Now they are panic-releasing water from the reservoirs and are flooding exactly the same area where they want to build their 300km flood wall at the tremendous speed of 3 km per day. At 10 hours daylight this means 10 metres every minute. And Yingluck will travel upcountry to tell the people to plant little trees and build little dams.

Then you go and straiten it all out for them.

The engineers amongst us (and probably those non-engineers with a bit of common sense) will understand what a 'closed loop' control system is. Monitor what is happening and control the input accordingly.

i.e. Watch what is happening downstream and if it looks like flooding will occur soon reduce the quantity of water being released. If it rains, reduce the release proportionately. The system will have massive inertia so make sure there is plenty of leeway. It really isn't rocket science.

I agree. And being an Engineer myself (Not a TV Engineer) I can also refer to my above post that most of what we have today through science was due to trial and error. Yes error is part of science AND evolution.

• Like 1

It is the type of BS that the Government puts out more lies, who can believe them.

This was posted today at around 9 A.M.;

Posted Today, 09:00

Chao Phraya River overflows, inundating Ayutthaya's Sena District, officials say unseasonal rain caused high water level, not water discharged from dams /MCOT

and at 16:08 this afternoon MCOT posted this so I guess the lies are stil comming and no-one takes responsibilty.

As usual, not a word from Yingluck. Perhaps shopping for new Burrberry boots or Louis Vuitton for Friday's gala event? Strangely enough nary a word from the Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minster, Natthawut Saikua. He's had no problem vocalizing in the past. Nothing but lies and silence once again.

• Like 1

It's like saying that Alberta Canada should prepare for a volcanic eruption for god sakes. Yes maybe it could happen but do you think they should start actually preparing for one?

Let's not forget the Big Guy here in Thailand when he invented a machine that could create rain and helped Australia with its drought. There are some smart people involved here don't kid your self. Also did they not already say that they are working with some countries that have exp. with floods to get advice etc?

I'm not sure what half of you people think they should do? Or maybe you have a better laid plan?

Ok a country who was not prone to mass flooding incurred it after years and years of years being populated and now they are dealing with it the best they can I think.

Scientists, Engineers, Governments etc. have all made progress in one way or another and mostly due to trial and error.

Yes maybe the people could have been warned but then again maybe they were. Do you know for sure?

The only people I saw during the mass floods really complaining heavily were the farangs. Us. Most Thai's I saw were laughing and going about their business in their make shift boats etc and still enjoying their life. Yes for sure the ones that suffered the most (fatalities, crops) etc. were suffering but they dealt with it.

After it was over they just wanted compensation for their loss but did not blame anyone for an act of nature.

I for one am glad that the government is trying to deal with preventive maintenance.

+1

At least they are trying

I agree. And being an Engineer myself (Not a TV Engineer) I can also refer to my above post that most of what we have today through science was due to trial and error. Yes error is part of science AND evolution.

Totally agree, ( and I am an engineer by trade ), they will evaluate the outflow and possibly reduce it a little. The will also have to take into account the water-logging they have caused downstream as well, at least they are trying!!

They will have to make a converted effort on the downstream infrastructure though, the amount of rainfall was one thing, the existing canals and drainage systems being blocked, un-dredged, built over etc was just as much to blame for last years calamity.

Edited by theblether

Is error compulsory, or only optional? I imagined naively that engineers could predict and model the consequences of something like this. If we release this much water into this space, it is likely to do this kinda stuff, and there is a X% likelihood of flooding in Y area. If it floods, we should close the gates somewhat, not just let the water continue to gush forth unabated. And we should let those folks downstream know. You mean it's all guesswork? They guessed it was due to unusual rainfall first, then guessed it was actually the dam release?

Is error compulsory, or only optional?

The 'error' (the difference between what you want and what you have) either positive or negative is an integral part of any control system. The problem with the flood management system is that is very slow reacting to a change in input (release rate from the dams), add to that the weather dumping rain halfway down the river (and adding to the flow already released) and we have a very complex system.

Accurate weather forecasting is a vital part of the system and even then the result is not totally predictable. Hence the reason for a safety margin just in case one gets more rain than forecast.

Unfortunately, the instruction seems to have been 'reduce to 45% of capacity by May' with no control of flow according to the forecast weather :(

• Like 2

Nope WE will not give them a break. Thai's also!

The government knew they had to open the dams, before they collapsed at full capacity level, and they opened them. They therefore could and did predict the flooding downstream, but forwarned nobody in Ayutthaya to begin with! FACT!

Ridiculous statement. If you know anything about the history of Thailand you will know that virtually every 60 or so years Bangkok has experienced at least 1m of water, amongst the othe totally flooded provinces. The flood of 2011 was not a random event! So yes, they should have been preparing a long time ago and, in fact, The King had plans and they were started; however the investment prepared for them seemed to disappear, unwittingly when Thaksin came to power - and the project was halted.

A country not prone to mass flooding? you FAIL!

: http://www.guardian....-floods-bangkok

Quote, " Severe floods also beset the central plains and Bangkok in 1983 and 1995, with 1942 the most catastrophic, " unqoute.

Yes, all the scientists, Engineers and Governments of other countries! USA, Netherlands, and even England could be included in this quota!

Oh! I know for sure alright! I was living in Phatumtani when Ayutthaya was flooded. We knew, Thais included again, that Ayutthaya had had no warning, and that the people of Nonthaburi were 'assured' that it would not come much further south. When Nonthaburi was inundated with flooding, Phatum was assured, and the cycle continued. When my home was flooded in Bang Poon, Phatum, we had no warning! The people of Don Mueang were assured also,, and they got 2m. Lak-Si was assured of no water, and got no warning! QED... Yes I know for sure!!!!

Which people did you actually see during these floods, and what was your location? Most Thais do not display humiliation in public - it is frowned upon and is cultural. Most Thais, as well as farangs, were irate inside, upset, forlorn and angry with the actions of the Government - so little do you know!! It was only farangs complaining - Thais were irreverent as they are, but in the home environment pretty crassed off! It is THAI culture to smile and get on with it. That doesn't make it right. How old are you by the way? This site is for 18 years and above!!

You try to convince us that all of this was simply an act of nature. The Government was in control of these Dams, knew what they were doing, and deliberately flooded chosen areas to use delay tactics in postponing Bangkok's flooding. There were people at the top making decisions to open and close certain sluice gates, to enlighten you further, in order to control the water away from BKK.

The people knew where the blame was lying, but they are not at liberty to say where. As a farang, we are able to some degree express our emotions - Thais are not. They knew they had been done, especially in the areas that had 2m or 3m depth of flooding. Did you visit any of those areas and see people laughing and playing in boats?

Of course everybody wanted compensation - Thais again included, and as much as I did, and a previous poster who was annoyed that a crass post was made in favour of Governmental decisions by a retard who thought Yingluck did a great job! We all knew who to blame, and a certain Governor of Bangkok never made apologies, but just had crocodile tears on TV.

Your final sentence just shows how naieve and misunderstanding of the events in a 'reality' sense you are. Dealing with preventitive maintanence involves the invites of other countries. The current government sent everybody away, as they arrived to help. They will do so again. Most of mid-Thailand, down to BKK is saturated. There will be more floods this year, and not to far away. If you don't think there will be, then please give your reasons why.

I have argued an established reality with every comment you made in a thoughtless post. What you posted was not wise, and nor did it contain factual evidence of your opinion. Please think about what you post, and the reasons for it, in future. Riling people is not the intent of this site!

-mel.

Riling people is not the intent of this site!

You think so?

• Like 1

The Bumiphon Dam is already full. (85%), they open the Dam because some areas have no water. To control the water down the Mae Ping River is the top of mismanagement. Areas in need of water don't have enough, Ayutthaya has too much.

Ignorancy of the Government Managers and their fungoid growing agencies are the biggest danger this year. The staff at Bumiphon Dam knows very well what to do, but they are to weak for the revolution of the facts (Thai sickness). Last year the Dam was full the 12. August (I swear), and in September two typhoons came, visible in the Internet.

The ignorant and/or criminal responsiblesofthe (in)compentent Ministry gave orders not to open the Dam.

Natural cataclysm happens, but no need to top them by human irgnorance/criminality.

• Like 2

Then you go and straiten it all out for them.

Why should I? I didn't run for PM in this country, Yingluck did. But my family and I were on the receiving end of her incompetence, and, as it looks, will be again this rainy season. So I am fully entitled to call a spade a spade.

• Like 1

They have to know the rules for operations of multi dams in series. I doubt they even know the limit they can release water from the dams for each section of the river. I just introduced one how to work within the limit. This is what I have mentioned a number of times "Keep Chao Phraya discharge less than , e.g. 3,200 cubic meters/sec measured at the river mouth". For each section upstream the limit could be lower. The persons in charge shall know those limits. Otherwise they will create artificial floods. The sad fact about it is they even have not realized that they just flooded a few areas. Actually they really have not realized it....

Ideally when making dams releases such limits have to be observed. The amount of releases during sunny day and rainy day may not be similar. Let me provide one example how to decide dams releases within the safe limit. Assuming river discharge 3,200cubic meters/sec is the non flood limit for BKK. If there is no rain all dams can release water so that the total discharge is 3,200 cubic meters/sec (Dams releases + stream flow). Assuming at one particular time the are pockets of rainfalls that provide additional discharge 1,200 cubic meters/sec. Then dams releases have to reduce by the same margin. After a few days when the situation back to normal dams releases can be raised back by 1,200 cubic meters/sec again. The same concept is applicable under normal condition and even more important to be observed during floods. In the event of floods, in the case of the limits cannot be kept then the autorities shall know what is the minimum additional discharge they can work on, Assuming the least limit is 3,700 cubic meters/sec. then make the relaeses to comply with the new limit. The objective is if floods cannot be prevented then try to make them as small as possible.

It is important to mention that, yes, it is possible that the best flood prevention requires a few areas to be prematurely flooded. This is like insurence premium to cover the risk that one cannot handle. I'm not sure this is the case now....

No. Flood control is not just plain common sense. Yes flood control is highly scientific method that involve a lot of mathematical operations. Ordinary common sense approach will give common results.