New Central Mall?

MESmith

The site has been under preparation for a month or so, but today a banner has gone up to indicate what's under construction. Located at the first set of traffic lights on Highway 11, about 4km south of BIg C, just to the east of Saraphee. Currently, the foundation footings are going in. At least Power Buy & Central names on the banner. Will take another look tomorrow morning.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be called Promenada.

They've been at it for quite a while now if were on about the same place.

No, Promenada is behind Big C on the road out to San Kamphaeng & ring road. This new location has only just started, & is on hwy 11, 4km south of Big C. They only started on the footings in the last 2 weeks.

It's going to be called Promenada.

They've been at it for quite a while now if were on about the same place.

Promenada is on the corner of the intersection of the Middle Ring and the New Sangkamphaeng Road (#1317). Definitely not on highway #11, and also not 4km South of Big C.

So that's a different place as outlined in the OP.

On the topic of new malls, I see plans for "The Chill Park" across from the Hang Dong Big C. (near the underpass under the Hang Dong road) Only put up signs though, so anyone's guess if that will happen: http://www.thechillpark.com

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I hope they don't allow them to build an exit for cars onto hwy 11 to attempt to cross into the right hand lane to u-turn back to the north. It is a cross roads there, small side roads, so there is an opportunity to do it right.

Had another look at the banner this morning, but the lights were green so I couldn't slow down. A whole row of logos, among them Tops, Office Depot, Power Buy. And, I guess a Central Dept store (unless Central group just own the development.) All this about 4km from our house - actually closer than the nearest 7-11. Just south of the traffic lights, on the west side of hwy11, looks like a gated community is starting. Looks like this area is starting to develop.

Had another look at the banner this morning, but the lights were green so I couldn't slow down. A whole row of logos, among them Tops, Office Depot, Power Buy. And, I guess a Central Dept store (unless Central group just own the development.) All this about 4km from our house - actually closer than the nearest 7-11. Just south of the traffic lights, on the west side of hwy11, looks like a gated community is starting. Looks like this area is starting to develop.

Wall to wall shopping malls. Not sure if that is the kind of development I would like to move into.

I hear Rimping will be in the Promenade along with a movie theater.

I hope they don't allow them to build an exit for cars onto hwy 11 to attempt to cross into the right hand lane to u-turn back to the north. It is a cross roads there, small side roads, so there is an opportunity to do it right.

I think the location your talking about is a few kilometres past Don Chan area, on the Superhighway going towards Lamphun. Correct?

And I agree it will need some good traffic planning for cars coming back onto that highway, most of which (I think) will head back to the main CM areas.

Must have a little look at that.

Gonna become a "malled" as opposed to "walled" city soon by the looks of things

Well put! I am as delighted with the convenience of malls as anyone, I suppose. It just doesn't seem quite right somehow. It seems, however, that the city must be invaded periodically. Once it was the Burmese, now it is malls.

I think the location your talking about is a few kilometres past Don Chan area, on the Superhighway going towards Lamphun. Correct?

And I agree it will need some good traffic planning for cars coming back onto that highway, most of which (I think) will head back to the main CM areas.

"good traffic planning" not always top priority around here. Up until now, there has been very little development along hwy 11 south of the city. If it starts to develop now, as on other major arteries out of the city, then they really need to build a frontage road or we'll end up with another planning disaster like the Hangdong road :(

Must have a little look at that.

Gonna become a "malled" as opposed to "walled" city soon by the looks of things

Well put! I am as delighted with the convenience of malls as anyone, I suppose. It just doesn't seem quite right somehow. It seems, however, that the city must be invaded periodically. Once it was the Burmese, now it is malls.

But they haven't really invaded inner Chiang Mai....that's been left to Starbucks, BK, McD, Pizza Hut et al, plus hundreds of coffee shops.

You mean like the Big C Hang Dong disaster, with people coming out of the Big C parking lot and immediately wanting to do a right turn or even a U turn..

You mean like the Big C Hang Dong disaster, with people coming out of the Big C parking lot and immediately wanting to do a right turn or even a U turn..

Exactly.

Well, as I drove past the site this afternoon, accelerating from the red light, heading north, trying to have a look at the banner, whilst keeping one eye on the kamikaze fools trying to gain one place on their road to self-destruction, I did spy that Robinson is on the banner, so it looks like a department store is also on the plan. Or maybe "Barley Water" is heading this way ;-)

Off topic, perhaps, but lovely Canal Road north is suffering similar construction, which will soon, between condos and shops = constriction.

1001 to Maejo, once a better northerly escape route from town (save during rush hours), has building 4 or 5 housing projects before one drives much beyond the outer ring.

How soon, one wonders, will going anywhere in town be akin to driving from the moat, on Suthep Road, to Niebelungen-Falangland? Or BKK??

Edited by CMX

Off topic, perhaps, but lovely Canal Road north is suffering similar construction, which will soon, between condos and shops = constriction.

1001 to Maejo, once a better northerly escape route from town (save during rush hours), has building 4 or 5 housing projects before one drives much beyond the outer ring.

How soon, one wonders, will going anywhere in town be akin to driving from the moat, on Suthep Road, to Niebelungen-Falangland? Or BKK??

Look on the bright side - one wont have to travel far to go shopping ;-)

if you mean the location on the Superhighway / Doi Saket road diagonally opposite the juvenile court - yes this is going to be developed into a Central Mall.

It was planned for years - construction supposed to start more than 2 years ago - but due to the political problems the project was postponed.They finished Central Festival in Chiang Rai and the one in Chiang Mai is next now.

if you mean the location on the Superhighway / Doi Saket road diagonally opposite the juvenile court - yes this is going to be developed into a Central Mall.

It was planned for years - construction supposed to start more than 2 years ago - but due to the political problems the project was postponed.They finished Central Festival in Chiang Rai and the one in Chiang Mai is next now.

"Located at the first set of traffic lights on Highway 11, about 4km south of BIg C, just to the east of Saraphee"

"SE of the city"

Yes, winnie, all it needs is a U-turn created in the ring road (and not the present 2km slog), so that CM bound trafic could exit onto that and not the HangDong Rd, doing a right turn then at the traffic lights without causing the present chaos.

Yes, winnie, all it needs is a U-turn created in the ring road (and not the present 2km slog), so that CM bound trafic could exit onto that and not the HangDong Rd, doing a right turn then at the traffic lights without causing the present chaos.

And make the likes of Big C, Home pro pay for said construction as a requirement for planning permission.

Soon the traffic will be like Bangkok. How sad. The construction is everywhere. And the quality is mostly very poor.

For those in the city, I know that there is one shopping mall coming up too!!. It's on the Rincome Intersection. Coming from the super highway, it's on your right opposite the old think park site (not the old Rincome hotel).

Cinemas and all too.

Traffic is going to be 'lovely... NOT' in that area soon.

It's already "lovely NOT" as it is....

Was going to say the exact same thing. And in addition, there will be the Rincome site being redeveloped. And all the out of town condominiums on the Canal Road are going to put pressure on the Rincome intersection too.

I think the old town was protected from over-development just in time. For the Nimman/Huay Kaew area it may now be too late.

• Like 1

What's the point in having a red-shirt/red-shirt sympathetic government if money doesn't flow to the north? Floods doubtless slowed its delivery, but I'm hoping for more ring roads and broader boulevards going their way. Urban sprawl shall spread with the charm and excitement of poison ivy.

Philological issue:

(But first, we'll have to determine where to start counting ring roads, abandoning Winnie's handy middle and outer terminology.) Is 121 #2 - or 3??

What's the point in having a red-shirt/red-shirt sympathetic government if money doesn't flow to the north? Floods doubtless slowed its delivery, but I'm hoping for more ring roads and broader boulevards going their way. Urban sprawl shall spread with the charm and excitement of poison ivy.

Philological issue:

(But first, we'll have to determine where to start counting ring roads, abandoning Winnie's handy middle and outer terminology.) Is 121 #2 - or 3??

It's going to be tough to build more ring roads on the west side of the city. The mountain might get in the way. Some of us consider the Samoeng Loop as the 4th Ring Road.

• Like 1

Philological issue:

Well, seeing that Aom Muang Road is called Thanon Aom Muang, which translates as 'a road encircling the city', i.e. a ring road, that means that the ridiculously named "Thanon Somphot Chiang Mai 700 Pee", (Chiang Mai Happy 700th Birthday Road) is therefore the second ring, currently middle ring, and the next one, the 121 is then currently the Outer Ring. Of course that ignores the minor detail of Aom Muang not actually being a closed ring, but I think in name and purpose it counts as a ring road.

And three rings is probably enough for the time being, seeing how far out the Outer Ring is, and that it still needs to be turned into a full, separate lane highway with under- or overpasses across all major intersections.

It's going to be tough to build more ring roads on the west side of the city. The mountain might get in the way. Some of us consider the Samoeng Loop as the 4th Ring Road.

You mean those of us who have the Suan Prung facility as their second home? wink.png But, yeah; personally I'd like to keep counting roads until we hit the Kuyper Belt.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai