New Central Mall?

MESmith

re ...No I ment the "central" company or branch.... logo..... not the letters on the roof!

ahhh ... im with you now ... sorry my mistake .. you mean this one : )

dave2

YES

But this is Khad Suan Kaew right? Not Central Airport Plaza.... I think they really do/don't-do this for marketing reasons,..... just a thought.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm pretty sure Airport Plaza has the full name Central Airport Plaza.

Why is KSK also known as The Gary Glitter mall? Never heard that.

me too been here years - never heard it - certainly no Thais have ever heard of Gary Glitter so it can only be a stupid farang 'made-up' thing

I'd not hear that nickname name but I understand from whence it derives. Sadly the reasons are all too real.

Don't take my word for it, you can go see it yourself. Head up to the higher floors, where they games machines are, late afternoon, especially after school turns out during term time. Carefully watch the antics of a few elderly farang stalking their prey. One of the worst things about Thailand is going on right under people's noses with impunity, and with the gamekeepers always on hand to help the poachers.

Edited by Paagai

Been driving up and down the 1317 for the last week and counted at least 10 ...maybe more new housing developements just being spudded in so there must be an expect of a least 10-20 K new residents in the next few years.

5 years ago when we bought our patch in Mae-on the road was so quiet.I like the fact that they have expanded it (the road)and seems only a matter of time before we have a really big one all the way to the springs.Also met more tourists around our local market than ever befoe and our local ran-a han is now doing homestay..299 bt /night and foods good.

Just gotta face it soon have the Promonade -Disney World (or whatever) and wheres the new IKEA going to be....?...so much for the quiet life.

me too been here years - never heard it - certainly no Thais have ever heard of Gary Glitter so it can only be a stupid farang 'made-up' thing

I'd not hear that nickname name but I understand from whence it derives. Sadly the reasons are all too real.

Don't take my word for it, you can go see it yourself. Head up to the higher floors, where they games machines are, late afternoon, especially after school turns out during term time. Carefully watch the antics of a few elderly farang stalking their prey. One of the worst things about Thailand is going on right under people's noses with impunity, and with the gamekeepers always on hand to help the poachers.

We were there with our child by the games and saw an elderly (70ish) Japanese man stalking teenage girls still in their school uniforms. About an hour later we saw him with one of the teenage girls up where the Thai clothing stalls are. She looked to be about 15. He was buying her clothes. He could not speak a word of Thai or English. It was very disturbing.

We were there with our child by the games and saw an elderly (70ish) Japanese man stalking teenage girls still in their school uniforms. About an hour later we saw him with one of the teenage girls up where the Thai clothing stalls are. She looked to be about 15. He was buying her clothes. He could not speak a word of Thai or English. It was very disturbing.

Kids have got it easy today. When I was a lad, we never heard of paedophiles, so we had to buy our own sweets

• Like 2

But, what goes on there then? People just watch the kids play on the game machines?

And why Central KSK specifcially, isn't Airport Plaza (or Tesco & Big C for that matter) just the same?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

But, what goes on there then? People just watch the kids play on the game machines?

And why Central KSK specifcially, isn't Airport Plaza (or Tesco & Big C for that matter) just the same?

I think eyecatcher gave you a big clue, or are you goading me? tongue.png I suspect the mods would be unhappy if we got into the details!

And before you ask, how do I know? Well, some of these sickos are so brazen they even brag about their antics.rolleyes.gif

As to other places, who knows, maybe also, but at KSK you only have to open your eyes to see what's going down.

Eyecatcher? ..made a joke about sweets above. Or do you mean Elektrified, telling about the elderly Japanese guy buying some stuff for a young chick? Anyway, no goading; my question was if that's all, because if so then I'm not falling off my chair in astonishment. After all you meet 15 year old girls in the bars on occasion just the same.

If however it's scenes like at Mike's Department store in Pattaya in the 1990's, with more or less organized gangs peddling pre-pubescent kids, then yes, I AM shocked.

Eyecatcher? ..made a joke about sweets above. Or do you mean Elektrified, telling about the elderly Japanese guy buying some stuff for a young chick? Anyway, no goading; my question was if that's all, because if so then I'm not falling off my chair in astonishment. After all you meet 15 year old girls in the bars on occasion just the same.

If however it's scenes like at Mike's Department store in Pattaya in the 1990's, with more or less organized gangs peddling pre-pubescent kids, then yes, I AM shocked.

Actually it was an earlier Gary Glitter reference that inspired;...but as for the Japanese guy; I would advise caution as I understand its now illegal to wear your clothes on the wrong part of your body.

Take the afforementioned G.G for example; he was jailed for putting a Thai on his c*-ck.

happy Birthday baldy whichever jail you are in.

Jakarta has too many malls now: How many does CM need?

An outgrowth of economic liberalisation under the Suharto regime, malls increased dramatically in number, size and luxuriousness during the 1990s and have continued to do so since. In fact, the city government passed a moratorium in October 2011 on the issuance of building permits for large malls through 2012 in an attempt to check their rampant proliferation: the reason cited was the lack of tenants in existing malls. According to estimates made by Yayat Supriatna, a city planner interviewed by several newspapers about the moratorium, there are about 170 malls in the Greater Jakarta Metropolitan Area....

A few more malls is exactly what Chiang Mai needs to profile itself nicely against all other growing Asian cities.

I couldn't disagree more. Do you want [more] traffic and [more] pollution just like in the big mango?

He said 'a few'. And it seems that's what we're getting, specifically the new Central Festival and the Promenada. With any luck that will actually *relieve* congestion near the older malls. (Both are built just outside of downtown, which is good.)

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the location in the OP. This development is actually, not a mall, but a Thai Watsadu outlet. similar to Home Pro or Global House, but part of the Central empire. Due to open later this month. For some reason, when the construction began, all the logos for the Central group companies were on display, which led me to assume it was a new mall.

Some might ask "why do we need another building supplies / diy outlet?", but I'm a happy future customer, 'cos that's my kind of shop, & I'm only 4km away smile.png

We in the west have given the insperation to the east on the nature of mall building. Being from the states, cities like LA, SF, Denver, KC, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston and lets not forget NYNY, have shown the world that malls make money. Why should we expect any thing different?? Maybe some of us from the west are a little ahead of the curve as far as this is concerned, but everybody wants to have a better life, and that requires $$. We have had it for a long time but now some of us want to deny it to others.

Have a good friend back in the states who is a dedicated tree hugger, and he thinks that the sooner that planet earth shuts down, the better off planet earth will be.

• 4 months later...

if you mean the location on the Superhighway / Doi Saket road diagonally opposite the juvenile court - yes this is going to be developed into a Central Mall.

It was planned for years - construction supposed to start more than 2 years ago - but due to the political problems the project was postponed.They finished Central Festival in Chiang Rai and the one in Chiang Mai is next now.

The rumour has it that when it is completed Kad Suan Kaew will close.

^

^

Mr.Tjeert Kwant said the promenada will open in Feb 2013

Original from Dutch that translated by google

Tjeert Kwant about investing in the growth economies of Southeast Asia. Tjeert Kwant: "You need to return to growth. Thailand has that economic growth and a growing middle class and purchasing power. "ECC Invest therefore leaves in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand's prestigious Promenada Resort Mall rise. At 90,000 square meter in the mall space for 300 stores. The mall is now finished and the opening in February 2013. Two thirds of the retail space has been leased. More than 100 tenants currently have signed, including 9 large retail companies a few thousand square meters decrease.http://www.business-class.nl/nl/uitzendingen/video/q/onderwerp/ecc_invest/id/71
Edited by thailandebiz

Not sure how old that text is, but looking at the current state of construction they will have done very well if the major structural construction is done by March 2013. Then all the inside stuff and systems and shops have to be built, that'll take a couple months more. Rough guess.

Not sure how old that text is, but looking at the current state of construction they will have done very well if the major structural construction is done by March 2013. Then all the inside stuff and systems and shops have to be built, that'll take a couple months more. Rough guess.

Maybe they'll just be renting out market stall space inside the shell of the building, a bit like the superstores, Big C et al rent out their car park space at the moment. btw, WTK any chance of you resizing your photo so i don't have to pan right with my mouse? You've been guilt of this before. Upload your pic as a thumbnail like everyone else post-4641-1156693976.gif

They have just started construction on the New Tesco shopping centre also, opposite the Mee Chok plaza (Rim Ping)The whole area on this side of town seems to be booming when we 1st built out here 7 yrs ago there was virtually nothing.

Maybe they'll just be renting out market stall space inside the shell of the building, a bit like the superstores, Big C et al rent out their car park space at the moment. btw, WTK any chance of you resizing your photo so i don't have to pan right with my mouse? You've been guilt of this before. Upload your pic as a thumbnail like everyone else post-4641-1156693976.gif

If I upload a picture then I resize it to something sensible. This however is a direct web link. BTW if you use a real browser it'll resize it just fine for you. :P