Weekly Allowance

WinnieTheKhwai

Due to some temporary high spending on an investment, we have to cut down on the weekly allowance for personal expenses, mostly food & beer.

My wife suggested 700 baht but that seems a bit on the low side. (It's up-country though, in Chiang Mai, and lunch doesn't have to come out of this amount as it's easy to just bring lunch from home. ATM cards will be stored away to not be tempted to withdraw more.

I only go out two nights a week, with one of them (a Friday usually) being a bigger night out. Still that means I would need to get through one night out on 300 baht and the Friday on 400.

What do you guys get / spend as an allowance for this sort of stuff? I do want to make an effort because my spending was creeping up, often spending 2000 baht in a single week just on eating and drinking.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to cut-down on my alcohol intake for health reasons some time ago and found this UK government sponsored website to be quite useful in keeping track of consumption and encouraging lower drinking goals:

http://my.drinkaware.co.uk

The interface is a bit clunky but does offer various ways of monitoring your progress, such as cost and calories, and makes suggestions (some bleeding obvious) for making drinks go further or offers alternatives. I dismissed it at first as being too simplistic but it's grown on me and now is a challenge to stay on track. It won't work for everyone but worth a try, can't hurt.

It might not only help you to save you money but save your liver too!

Edited by SimonD

Have one good night rather than two poor ones.

Exactly. If you are always worrying about every baht while you're out, you won't have fun. Double your budget on a single night out and you'll actually get to relax. The other option is to entertain more at home. Food is cheap and the beer from a local Tesco or wholesaler goes a lot further than the stuff in the pub.

This may be a little complex for some, but start to keep track of all your expenses on Quicken. Hubby and I already had the discipline because, in the U.S. we ran a small business using Quickbooks. Quicken is much simplier, but the reporting and tracking functions are great. Because of Quicken, we've been able to identify categories where we were spending more than we thought, like manicures for me and "walk-around" beers for Hubby and make adjustments. Also, we saw what we were spending on laundry, which yes doesn't seems high, but it adds up. It paid for a washing machine within a year.

We all have different ways of living and spending so, forgive me, but it seems like a question that cannot be answered.

What she said.

I'm single and can spend what I want within reason. As you know, Winnie, I don't drink much and what I do spend is usually just charity to a few specific Thais. I am quite happy eating the same Thai meals each day that cost about 40 baht each. My motorbike doesn't use much fuel and I have enough to stay in guest cottages when I travel around Thailand. They seldom cost more than 500 baht a night.

Thanks; so you just take it real slow with the alcohol? I guess that's healthier and safer too.

I had to cut-down on my alcohol intake for health reasons some time ago and found this UK government sponsored website to be quite useful in keeping track of consumption and encouraging lower drinking goals:

Thanks..! I do know exactly how much I drink though; having only a couple hundred baht in your wallet does that for you. wink.png I did enter it though (site doens't allow regular small beer bottles as a size, only pint, half pint and really large cans.) Anyway, I still remember quite vividly I had 1 SangSom Coke-Light at 50 baht, 2 Sangsom -Coke-lights at 40 baht, (all three were double-shots) one Latte at 50 baht, one M-Sport bottle from 7-11 (10 baht), one small bottle of water (free from the gas station and and one Small Leo Beer at 70 baht. (Spendy, I know, but it's a good bar. ) I also spent 20 baht on tips, so for a total of 280 baht.

I don't really like beer, so beer naturally lasts me longer. I suppose I could also order Sangsom just with ice, that's borderline undrinkable. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

my 17 year old son gets 700 baht a week pocket money

and your point is ????

That 700 baht is a reasonable amount, I guess. If it's good enough for a 17 year old then it's good enough for me; I never really matured much beyond 17 anyway. ;)

Anyway, my question was not so much on drinking less, it's more about a reasonable budget that still allows you to enjoy a night out.

IanForbes: How much do you usually spend on a night out? (When you don't go home too late, say around midnight-ish.)

Thanks; so you just take it real slow with the alcohol? I guess that's healthier and safer too.

'Slow' isn't in it! I struggle with Thai beer, never really been a lager drinker and hate spirits. One or two bottles twice a week normally does me. I know the purists will scream but I even prefer to drink iit WARM! Never have one out the chiller. The few bars I drink in know I like my beer straight out of the box in the storeroom! biggrin.png

I prefer green tea on most occasions, don't find I have to drink alcohol to have a good time with the right friends.

My daughter and I live on roughly 12.000 baht a month. That"s with everything else paid. I drink maybe 3 or 4 nights aweek. Always shops and never bars and I don"t fornicate with members of the oppisite sex . Eating in Phuket Town is a 3rd of what it would cost me where I live. I find cooking for freinds to be most cost effective thing I do. Learn to cook and let them bring the beer. And perhaps a girlfreind to help wash up. In your case not needed.MORE BEER, THEN.

My daughter and I live on roughly 12.000 baht a month. That"s with everything else paid. I drink maybe 3 or 4 nights aweek. Always shops and never bars and I don"t fornicate with members of the oppisite sex . Eating in Phuket Town is a 3rd of what it would cost me where I live. I find cooking for freinds to be most cost effective thing I do. Learn to cook and let them bring the beer. And perhaps a girlfreind to help wash up. In your case not needed.MORE BEER, THEN.

YOU, have it sorted, and l take my hat off to you. jap.gif

Thanks..! I do know exactly how much I drink though; having only a couple hundred baht in your wallet does that for you. wink.png I did enter it though (site doens't allow regular small beer bottles as a size, only pint, half pint and really large cans.) Anyway, I still remember quite vividly I had 1 SangSom Coke-Light at 50 baht, 2 Sangsom -Coke-lights at 40 baht, (all three were double-shots) one Latte at 50 baht, one M-Sport bottle from 7-11 (10 baht), one small bottle of water (free from the gas station and and one Small Leo Beer at 70 baht. (Spendy, I know, but it's a good bar. ) I also spent 20 baht on tips, so for a total of 280 baht.

I don't really like beer, so beer naturally lasts me longer. I suppose I could also order Sangsom just with ice, that's borderline undrinkable. wink.png

Why not do like the Thais and bring/ buy a bottle of whisky? 100 Pipers etc, pay for the mixers and ice. It's a step up from Sangsom and cheaper than buying by the glass. You can also spread the bottle over a couple/ few visits.

:)

Large bottle of Hong Thong with mixers and a big Coke, 400bht.

Four of us can have a good night out on that, and listen to a live Carabao band all evening.

Costs more if you want food and girls though (Full moon wine coolers 125bht for 3 bottles).

I'll take you there Friday night!

You gotta break away from the Number 1 Bar.

Edited by ludditeman

Since it seems there is a bit of flexibility, why not set the goals first and then decide?

You seem to want 2 nights out. 700B does seem to be scraping the bottom to do that without some kind of scrounging. Even in an all-Thai bar and not ordering premium stuff it's easy to spend 400-500B. Maybe you should set that as a baseline and decide if it is ok to go out twice a week, and up it to 1000B. Otherwise I agree with Cdnvic and the others; splurge on one night and watch TV or read the other.

Why not do like the Thais and bring/ buy a bottle of whisky? 100 Pipers etc, pay for the mixers and ice. It's a step up from Sangsom and cheaper than buying by the glass. You can also spread the bottle over a couple/ few visits.

smile.png

I've done that in the past; though with the bars where I go the most it doesn't save that much money as they poor doubles (or more) for the price of a single, and I get free drinks now and then. It may work though for some of the more expensive places, like the ones that think they must charge 70 baht for either a cheap local beer or Sang Som + Coke.. I will investigate that. Added positive would be that it's easier to share without paying the extra for staff drinks.

Come to think of it at some places I used to donate a bottle (one staffer running off to the local grocery store and scoring a bottle, then hiding it), and then share.. That works out pretty good usually, but it only saves money if you stick to that one place.

Since it seems there is a bit of flexibility, why not set the goals first and then decide?

You seem to want 2 nights out. 700B does seem to be scraping the bottom to do that without some kind of scrounging. Even in an all-Thai bar and not ordering premium stuff it's easy to spend 400-500B. Maybe you should set that as a baseline and decide if it is ok to go out twice a week, and up it to 1000B. Otherwise I agree with Cdnvic and the others; splurge on one night and watch TV or read the other.

You should take a note who made the op. smile.png

I still remember quite vividly I had 1 SangSom Coke-Light at 50 baht, 2 Sangsom -Coke-lights at 40 baht

Do you call this a night out? laugh.png

Tell you something even funnier, I plugged that into the UK government drink awareness nanny, and it called it A BINGE ! I call that barely a warm-up. ;)

Yeah. :(