Weekly Allowance

WinnieTheKhwai

How much can a man lower himself? An allowance from his wife? Cannot believe what I'm reading here.

It is still quite common in Japan. Husband gives his monthly salary to his wife and she gives him some pocket money in return.

Thailand too, in many cases.

Not sure that managing money is all the manly; men are for the hunting. Then when it comes to actually cooking or using the loot to make sure everyone gets fed and clothed, that's the woman's business. Micro-managing money like some office bean counter is kind of gay.

If you say so, in general the man will make more money. So id say he has more to say then his wife. The moment my wife starts to tell me what to do with money or vice versa its the end of the relation.

Sure we pool our resources but anything over that is our own.

Speaking for myself only, we don't have a 'my money' or 'her money', we have just our money. She would ask me before setting a budget for non-essential spending, and I do the same.

Different from what i have. But to each his or her own. I hate giving away control. Anyway if you both have to consult its a different story from her controlling it alone. That was how it sounded.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not do like the Thais and bring/ buy a bottle of whisky? 100 Pipers etc, pay for the mixers and ice. It's a step up from Sangsom and cheaper than buying by the glass. You can also spread the bottle over a couple/ few visits.

smile.png

I've done that in the past; though with the bars where I go the most it doesn't save that much money as they poor doubles (or more) for the price of a single, and I get free drinks now and then. It may work though for some of the more expensive places, like the ones that think they must charge 70 baht for either a cheap local beer or Sang Som + Coke.. I will investigate that. Added positive would be that it's easier to share without paying the extra for staff drinks.

Come to think of it at some places I used to donate a bottle (one staffer running off to the local grocery store and scoring a bottle, then hiding it), and then share.. That works out pretty good usually, but it only saves money if you stick to that one place.

im sorry, but i would find living like that depressing

If drinking is a waste of money, you aren't doing it correctly.

Practice makes perfect. Rather hard to do on 700 baht per week though.

Ugh.. it turns out it's much easier than I thought.. It's 2am, just got home.. started the night at 6:30 with 408 baht and 50 satang. But it was good. And amazing; early on a girl asks for a drink, claims it's only 50 baht (?!) so I give her 50 baht, she scurries off to some shop and comes back with *two* BIG bottles of Leo Beer.. don't know how that's even possible; others must have chipped in. They then semi-hide the bottles and several come by every now and then to fill up their glasses.. I felt like Jesus feeding the many.

Next bar; crazy blonde girl asks for drink. I take the bottle of "Red Bull" that I brought out of my pocket and put it in front of her. She's now slightly disappointed it's not a 120 baht lady drink but decides something is better than nothing, gets a big glass with ice for herself and almost poors the whole bottle in her glass but I just manage to ask her "Are you sure that's Red Bull?" (The bottle is full of Sang Som).. I wonder if I'm in trouble, she thinks 2 seconds then gives me a big hug and proceeds to poor damned near half her glass full of the stuff and tops it up with some water from a nearby ice bucket. Good girl!! Likes her drink.

Then met some friends and ended up in a local pub a bit out of the city center. Good band, beer & whisky chicks and waitresses in traditional Lanna Thai inspired (but skimpy) dresses.

• Like 2

If drinking is a waste of money, you aren't doing it correctly.
Practice makes perfect. Rather hard to do on 700 baht per week though.
Ugh.. it turns out it's much easier than I thought.. It's 2am, just got home.. started the night at 6:30 with 408 baht and 50 satang. But it was good. And amazing; early on a girl asks for a drink, claims it's only 50 baht (?!) so I give her 50 baht, she scurries off to some shop and comes back with *two* BIG bottles of Leo Beer.. don't know how that's even possible; others must have chipped in. They then semi-hide the bottles and several come by every now and then to fill up their glasses.. I felt like Jesus feeding the many. Next bar; crazy blonde girl asks for drink. I take the bottle of "Red Bull" that I brought out of my pocket and put it in front of her. She's now slightly disappointed it's not a 120 baht lady drink but decides something is better than nothing, gets a big glass with ice for herself and almost poors the whole bottle in her glass but I just manage to ask her "Are you sure that's Red Bull?" (The bottle is full of Sang Som).. I wonder if I'm in trouble, she thinks 2 seconds then gives me a big hug and proceeds to poor damned near half her glass full of the stuff and tops it up with some water from a nearby ice bucket. Good girl!! Likes her drink. Then met some friends and ended up in a local pub a bit out of the city center. Good band, beer & whisky chicks and waitresses in traditional Lanna Thai inspired (but skimpy) dresses.

Good on you and it's obvious I'm drinking in the wrong places. clap2.gif

Where there's a will (and a few baht) there's a way!

If you're still drinking where such a thing as a 'lady drink' exists, you still haven't economised as much as you could! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

True, but that would defeat the purpose of a night out. ;) I never drink at home either.

Note that buying drinks for others is not compulsory, (or even feasible in my case right now), but of course I chip in if it adds to the overall merriment, be it food or drink. Being a sour, tight-fisted Farang would also defeat the purpose of enjoying a night out. (As others have pointed out, IanForbes I think, and I agree.

drinking in public in thai country towns can become complicated and dangerous without proper supervision...it ain't worth the money...

Why's that?

well...drinking at home is always much cheaper and if a local dolly in a small town really did catch yer fancy then the whole town would know about it INCLUDING YER WIFE...

hence, proper supervision is usually required; 'uncle tutsi, please quit staring at that young girl's ass or I shall haveta report...'

tutsi hisses: 'yew ungrateful little bitch, this is the last time I'm takin' yew out fer a beer...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

drinking in public in thai country towns can become complicated and dangerous without proper supervision...it ain't worth the money...

Why's that?

well...drinking at home is always much cheaper and if a local dolly in a small town really did catch yer fancy then the whole town would know about it INCLUDING YER WIFE...

hence, proper supervision is usually required; 'uncle tutsi, please quit staring at that young girl's ass or I shall haveta report...'

tutsi hisses: 'yew ungrateful little bitch, this is the last time I'm takin' yew out fer a beer...'

LOL!!! Ok thank you, I get it now. ;) I guess you could just skip a village or two and drink there? Especially if it's an ethnically different population, you might as well be on another planet then in terms of how much communication goes on. Of course being seen there in the first place could then cause trouble.

I guess there are a lot of tight farangs out there judging by this thread. Me and my wife could never survive on anything less than 7,000 baht a week.

have to agree with this, that is just going out money and that would barely get me by.

i have to wonder why are so many TV members frugal with the cash is it they dont have or are saving for a rainey day,

i read here a lot and constant snide remarks regarding teachers etc had led me to belive a vast majority of members here were better off than the TEFL mob seems im wrong ,i dont think i could live here on some of the budjets some people are quoting ,then again i live my life with a motto ,nothing is too expensive for my tastes .i just dont earn enough money yet

• Like 1

I learned to budget a LONG time ago. I ALWAYS kept within my budget because I had a fixed income. It's quite easy really and only makes sense. Unfortunately, my first wife didn't have a clue when it came to budgets, finances and interest on money spent using credit cards. Like most women she also liked to shop and usually on stuff we didn't need. It drove me crazy and it was a constant source of most of our arguements. I did most of the grocery shopping, all of the cooking and garden work around the home, and my wife looked after the kids and the house cleaning. I did the clean up after meals. We DIDN'T have a dishwasher... I was it.

My wife was Australian and every couple of years she wanted a trip home to see her family. And, of course, it was always during high season rates around Christmas. Those trips from Canada cost us about $10,000 for about a month away. I had to put her on a savings plan just to make each trip. Otherwise she would keep spending money on useless crap that we had too much of. One year i kept an account of every single penny we spent on anything and everything. It was amazing the amount of wasted money when you don't pay attention.

Now I'm single and living 5 months each year in Thailand I actually SAVE money by being here rather than in Canada for the winter.

Why's that?

LOL!!! Ok thank you, I get it now. wink.png I guess you could just skip a village or two and drink there? Especially if it's an ethnically different population, you might as well be on another planet then in terms of how much communication goes on. Of course being seen there in the first place could then cause trouble.

unfortunately my wife's radar has a world wide radius and if I was lookin' to get into the pants of a woman on the next planet she would then be informed...never seen nothing like it...

• Like 1

unfortunately my wife's radar has a world wide radius and if I was lookin' to get into the pants of a woman on the next planet she would then be informed...never seen nothing like it...

Nothing special, they all have it....coffee1.gif

I must say living here is one of the high points of my life. I never made a better decision. I can be as cheap as i want or spend as much as i want. No need to keep up with the neighbors and stuff. Can do what i want no pressure. Does not mean i dont make a decent living. I just don't have to spend it to keep up appearances.

Anyway id feel real bad if i had to sneak booze into a bar. I mean that is low. Id rather not go out then. Drinking was never one of my priorities so that is not a problem.

• Like 1

the day i start sneaking sang som into the bar is the day i start staying home. have you no pride?

Reminds me of being in college. Take a hip flask full of vodka to the bar, and then just buy a coke drunk.gif

Luckily in a lot of Thai bars you don't even have to sneak the alcohol in, you can do it openly and just buy mixers and ice from them.

This comment is not aimed at anyone posting on this topic and in particular it is not aimed at the OP. People seem to have over-looked that the OP is strapped for cash because he has made an investment for his future, I would call that normal behaviour.

Not sure that buying a house in a Thai wifes name can be considered an investment.

(Unless you are one of those people who consider betting on the horses an investment)

• Like 1

But, I know it's pretty hard to support two kids and pay for her room, as well as make motorbike payments each month on a monthly wage of about 6000 baht.

Ian. Do you seriously think that you are her only sponsor? She probably makes double or triple that money/ month when you're away. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Semper

i have fixed costs of 12,000 budget on 50,000 per month as a single guy. most drinking is done at a couple of mini marts with tables and chairs + fans outside, reason i go there is there is always a good bunch of expats no matter what time i go. the localbars charging 35-40 baht more are always empty .i am single but dont use services of ladies accept the one's off my beloved date site who pop down for a few days, do the washing, ironing cleaning and other issentials for the price of the bus fare here, usually i over pay and give 500 baht for the bus.

seeing what some of you guys spend makes me thnk i should check where it goes, even the big spends like car insurance and flights go on c/c and dont come out of that spend.

guess the average non working wife / girlfriend will cost best part of 10-12k. thats an awful lot of 500 baht bus fares, and even more san migs.

those of you making cut backs i would sooner be a poorper here than a rich man in the UK

I know, I know but it's only if they choose to use it...it's a matter of trust and implicit and I'm pretty monogamous so there usually is no problem...but some women simply consider that all men are cheating bastards and 'unleash the distrust' accordingly...mostly asian women, I haveta admit...

I have diabetes and have been dysfunctional for over 6 years but does that matter? oh, no...and she shouts: 'you are a lying, cheating piece ob <deleted>...' (I haveta admit that I lost it with a beautiful bar woman in HCMC about 6 years ago who looked like the actress Linda Fiorintino but olive skinned and with better equipment and I forgot to come home...it was the last time that I had orgasms with a woman as divine retribution was brutal and swift...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I know, I know but it's only if they choose to use it...it's a matter of trust and implicit and I'm pretty monogamous so there usually is no problem...but some women simply consider that all men are cheating bastards and 'unleash the distrust' accordingly...mostly asian women, I haveta admit...

I have diabetes and have been dysfunctional for over 6 years but does that matter? oh, no...and she shouts: 'you are a lying, cheating piece ob <deleted>...' (I haveta admit that I lost it with a beautiful bar woman in HCMC about 6 years ago who looked like the actress Linda Fiorintino but olive skinned and with better equipment and I forgot to come home...it was the last time that I had orgasms with a woman as divine retribution was brutal and swift...)

Mine has x-ray vision. I could be wearing freakin welders goggles and if my eyeballs track so much as one degree off when some hot thing goes by....

I even bought a pair of mirrored wrap arounds, she still sees.