Buying A Motorcycle In Pattaya

raro

ok...after having rented for five days a Yamaha Nuovo, I kinda like the idea of getting an automatic scooter myself.

Had a look at some shops in Pattaya today and seems like the prices are everywhere the same. Nuovo 57,500 and the Honda Click 53,500.

Now I tendered the idea of a 50% downpayment and the rest on instalments. First shop said YOU CANNOT YOU FARANG. Second shop (Mit Yon) offered me a whopping 2.4% - per MONTH!! As too my knowledge, the legal limit for interest in Thailand is 15% and for credit cards 18%. 2.4% per year is almost twice as much. Is this "industry standard" for the motorcycle shops or did they try to overcharge me? Wouldn't agree on that proposal anyways, but curious to know what experience the others on the board had.

last not least, if there is someone outside who is interested in selling his well maintained fully automatic scooter at a reasonable price, please PM me.

How is the loss in value in the first, second, third....year?

With that mafia like interest rate is best to pay cash, are you sure its 2.4% pr month? I never bought bikes in down payments but cash only so I don't know the going rate. You can try visit all the big shops and ask, many big shops on Sukhumvit and one on South Pattaya Road at the corner to 3rd road.

Yes the prices are pretty much the same in all the shops, they might differ 1-3 k bath. Its also worth buying a 2 year burglar insurance that will give you 80% of the bike value if stolen for piece of mind.

Regarding the loss in value, I would say app 10 k bath first year, 15 k bat 2 year and 20k bath 3 year, but its only a rough indicator. Buy new if you can, Thais are not known to take good care of their bikes.

The Click have a newly developed engine so it should be quite economically on fuel.

Raro even though you are a moderator you sound like you have no experience on bikes at all, how to you get around town if you don't mind me asking. We have a car in the house hold, but the Fino is sooo much easier to get around town on that I take it 99% of the cases when going alone, can park anywhere & cheap on fuel too.

The best motor bikes In Thailand in my opinion is the Honda Wave. It's not an automatic, but starts, runs, and lasts much longer than the automatics.

Barry

The Wave is indeed a very very strong bike, I have owned 3 of them. If you are riding in the city like pattaya I find the autos much easier go get around on, our Fino is now 3 years old have done 13K km and only had a small problem with a worn contact on the starter push bottom, that was fixed for 50 bath. The 10k km service cost a whopping 300 bath, he-he. If you are a normal user I will not hesitate recommend an auto scooter, they are very reliable nowadays.

I am looking forward to the arrival of the all new PCX 150 and I am very likely gonna buy one.

Its worth looking in the notice boards outside Friendship, and a few other farang Supermarkets .I have picked up some good bikes that way .i LOOK FOR GOOD VALUE ,NO MORE THAN 3 YEARS OLD AND NO MORE THAN 10,000 KMS .

Mine is for sale right now because i will soon be leaving:

2004 Yamaha Nouvo Automatic (Electric start) 115cc. Green book in my name (foreigner) and is insured until April 2012. This bike is in excellent running condition and has nothing wrong with it. It has a couple of small scrapes on the side and that is all. No oil leaks or anything else wrong with it.

post-147691-0-91454600-1328933100_thumb.

With that mafia like interest rate is best to pay cash, are you sure its 2.4% pr month? I never bought bikes in down payments but cash only so I don't know the going rate. You can try visit all the big shops and ask, many big shops on Sukhumvit and one on South Pattaya Road at the corner to 3rd road.

Yes the prices are pretty much the same in all the shops, they might differ 1-3 k bath. Its also worth buying a 2 year burglar insurance that will give you 80% of the bike value if stolen for piece of mind.

Regarding the loss in value, I would say app 10 k bath first year, 15 k bat 2 year and 20k bath 3 year, but its only a rough indicator. Buy new if you can, Thais are not known to take good care of their bikes.

The Click have a newly developed engine so it should be quite economically on fuel.

Raro even though you are a moderator you sound like you have no experience on bikes at all, how to you get around town if you don't mind me asking. We have a car in the house hold, but the Fino is sooo much easier to get around town on that I take it 99% of the cases when going alone, can park anywhere & cheap on fuel too.

Thanks a lot to your sound advise!

I get around in my car and my motorcycle experience is limited to a Honda wave I had years back. Always hated the click-up, click,down gearpaddle as its ergonomics are designed for people considerably shorter than me.

Now that I rode that nuovo, a new world has opened up for. Me :D

Another thing that made me hesitate riding a bike is that I lost 2 Friends in as many years on scooters. Don't want to become a statistic myself B)

Last not least, even as a moderator you get around town as any other people. Only lakes we cross by walking :P

sent from my Android phone

Get a car , air con comfort to where i am going . you wouldnt get me on a bike if you gave it to me for free ,although i did like my lambretta when i was a teenager.

Yeah. Use a car in Pattaya and sit at traffic lights and junctions forever and watch all those savvy people whiz past you on their bikes. They will have been to their destination and on their way back home while you are still sat at the lights.

• Like 1

Get a car , air con comfort to where i am going . you wouldnt get me on a bike if you gave it to me for free ,although i did like my lambretta when i was a teenager.

Yeah. Use a car in Pattaya and sit at traffic lights and junctions forever and watch all those savvy people whiz past you on their bikes. They will have been to their destination and on their way back home while you are still sat at the lights.

not if you are a Fortuner driver, we just push everyone out the way and drive at 100kph every where we go.............

• Like 1

Thanks a lot to your sound advise!

I get around in my car and my motorcycle experience is limited to a Honda wave I had years back. Always hated the click-up, click,down gearpaddle as its ergonomics are designed for people considerably shorter than me.

Now that I rode that nuovo, a new world has opened up for. Me biggrin.png

Another thing that made me hesitate riding a bike is that I lost 2 Friends in as many years on scooters. Don't want to become a statistic myself cool.png

Last not least, even as a moderator you get around town as any other people. Only lakes we cross by walking tongue.png

raro I pm'd you my number. This bike for 20k is a give away trust me. Call me if you wanna try it tomorrow. I will be leaving for work soon so I'm selling it cheap

I'll be thinking of you next time I switch the wipers to full speed B)

Interest is fixed if you do the finance method. You will pay the final amount....no discounts for paying early (yeah...i was gotten on that one). there is a way for the dealer to finance the bike 0% interest if you pay in full in 3 months, with 40-50% down.

If you can afford it, pay cash once and forget it.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

I bought my Airblade from new, around 50,000 baht about 5 years ago. According to calculations it should be worthless now, which is far from the case. I am sure I would be able to get 25K or more for it should I choose to sell it. I had a few second hands before this and I feel you really have a different relationship to a bike you had from new and know the history of, than a second hand bike, regardless how well kept it is.

Raro, if I was you, I would look into the new PCX coming out. It is a much smoother and better ride, although more expensive. They are also bigger and more comfortable the Nuouvos or Clicks. The price tag is slightly bigger but you do get a lot more bike for your money and it could last you, hassle free for many years to come. I think you would score some points with the ball and chain as well. Happy riding! The leg over on the Nuouvo and limited leg space on the click becomes bothersome in the long run.

Edited by pluto_manibo

Raro, if I was you, I would look into the new PCX coming out. It is a much smoother and better ride, although more expensive. They are also bigger and more comfortable the Nuouvos or Clicks. The price tag is slightly bigger but you do get a lot more bike for your money and it could last you, hassle free for many years to come. I think you would score some points with the ball and chain as well. Happy riding! The leg over on the Nuouvo and limited leg space on the click becomes bothersome in the long run.

+1

I rented the 125 PCX 2X3 days on Phuket and its a really good bike, especially larger persons will fell very comfy on it. Its also extremely economical on fuel and the new 150 cc should be 20% more economically than the 125cc, how that is possible I don't know. but latest tecno from Honda is almost always ahead of the competition.

I am also very likely to buy the new 150 PCX.

But a warning, they get stolen a lot so you will have to lock it up properly when parking downtown.

I don't know if it's still going but there used to be a motorcycle auction on Threpprasit Road every Friday (from 11am-ish), about 400m down from the junction with Suk (Tesco) on the right hand side, going towards Jomtien. It's a large open-fronted furniture shop most days, pretty big place.

Take a friend who's savvy with used bikes with you if not sure and get there early to look over the offerings. You can't ride them but can make a detailed visual inspection. I got two absolute bargains there in the past, almost as new but for half-price. They are mostly repossessions in good condition with little on the clock (ie saleable). So many Thais buy on the never-never and can't keep up the payments. It's also where the police sell many of the bikes they've seized. Some great deals if you know what to look for.

I have the Hayate, 6 months old, i went to enquire about the PCX at Si Racha honda and they priced the Hyate 20k resale. if you have no intention of selling which obviously you have not they are a great buy 2nd hand. the thais wont touch them, stuck on the Honda concept for 2nd hand bikes.

I have the Hayate, 6 months old, i went to enquire about the PCX at Si Racha honda and they priced the Hyate 20k resale. if you have no intention of selling which obviously you have not they are a great buy 2nd hand. the thais wont touch them, stuck on the Honda concept for 2nd hand bikes.

They must have been joking, resp. giving you a thanks but no thanks offer. The bike is new over 50k.