Somebody Knows Why The Big Chains Stopped To Sell Big Sangsom Bottles?

jethro69

I've been around now from the north to central Thailand for almost a month, and I noticed one thing. The big companies like Big C; Tesco Lotus; 7-eleven a.s.o. don't sell the big bottles of SangSom anymore. Did anyone else notice that already??? And if so, what is the story behind it.

Just for an example, I went to the Chiang Rai night market on Thursday, (the (more expensive) tourist area), they had it on the menu for 360, but said they run out. So I told them just to bring the mixers, and I went myself on the hunt. I checked two 7-elevens, and a TescoLotus express, I could only find the 0.7 bottle in a private store??????

360 baht?

In the Mom and Pop store in the village it is 207, 210 in the beer shop opposite and an expensive 235 in the 7/11.

All of them sell the 70 cl bottle.

If you are paying 360 baht nyou need to get down to Makro, BigC or Tesco somewhere else as at that price somebody is having you on.

The 360 was on the Chiang Rai night bazar, the nicer side with fewer tables, almost only farang customers. However, they did not have the 0,7 bottles, so I went myself, after 2 7/11, and a Tesco express I found finally a little liqor store who had them.

In Kanchanaburi, I remember to got 3 big bottles at Tesco @ 209 bath, a week later in Tak, Tesco and neighboring BigC did not have em. On Thursday I went to Tesco in Mae Chan, no big bottles.

Yesterday I tried my luck in Chiang Saen, 7/11 and Tesco express, both did not have the big bottles.

I was asking the question yesterday with my Thai friends where I had dinner, and they could explain it to me. Guess what, I was told there are now many farangs in the country, they drink all the bottles...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Quite simple, really.

Firstly, the floods and their disruption of normal supply chains. Secondly, the recent duty increase on "brown" spirits triggered a lot of beat-the-rise buying that cleared the shelves, and with no new stock arriving the shelves remain empty.

I noticed something strange regarding Pepsi. Big C hasn't had it in stock for months. Now its starting to appear in small quantities. Can only think its a supply chain problem. Thing is I cant imagine Pepsi would be happy not selling any product for several months, so where did all the Pepsi go?

Another thing; getting back on topic. If all the bars are now selling fake whisky, where does this come from? Maybe the Sangsom is being used to make other drinks? So maybe that is where it is going?

Edited by MaiChai

The 360 was on the Chiang Rai night bazar, the nicer side with fewer tables, almost only farang customers. However, they did not have the 0,7 bottles, so I went myself, after 2 7/11, and a Tesco express I found finally a little liqor store who had them.

In Kanchanaburi, I remember to got 3 big bottles at Tesco @ 209 bath, a week later in Tak, Tesco and neighboring BigC did not have em. On Thursday I went to Tesco in Mae Chan, no big bottles.

Yesterday I tried my luck in Chiang Saen, 7/11 and Tesco express, both did not have the big bottles.

I was asking the question yesterday with my Thai friends where I had dinner, and they could explain it to me. Guess what, I was told there are now many farangs in the country, they drink all the bottles...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Please accept my apology.

I went to the village yesterday morning and I couldn't find the large bottles either.

The lady sold me 2 small bottles for the price of a large one and when I got home I found that they were 30cl bottles and the large one is 70cl.

60cl for the price of 70cl normally.

Methinks I will look for another shop.

It can't be a bottle shortage as the local recyclers are doing well up here and I would have thought that most bottles are the same, only the labels are changed to protect the innocent.

I am not down to drinking Lao Khao yet.

I went to the village yesterday morning and I couldn't find the large bottles either.

The lady sold me 2 small bottles for the price of a large one and when I got home I found that they were 30cl bottles and the large one is 70cl.

It can't be a bottle shortage as the local recyclers are doing well up here and I would have thought that most bottles are the same, only the labels are changed to protect the innocent.

Well, 2 cans of beer is more expensive than a large bottle, what did you expect? BTW they are 300 and 700 cl.

Well, 2 cans of beer is more expensive than a large bottle, what did you expect? BTW they are 300 and 700 cl.

Those are some really big bottles!!

Actually is 300 ml and 700 ml.

Those are some really big bottles!!

Actually is 300 ml and 700 ml.

1 x cl is equal to 10 ml so both figures are correct, 300 cl and 700 cl are 3 litres and 10 litres which is bit more than I normally drink certainly at one time.

1 x cl is equal to 10 ml so both figures are correct, 300 cl and 700 cl are 3 litres and 10 litres which is bit more than I normally drink certainly at one time.

Yes, my bad.sorry.gif

Too much Lao Khao and not enough Sang Som is your problem.

Sang Som smooths the mind but Kao Khao rots the brain and can also be used as paint stripper.

You posted in the "I drink too much" forum, on how to buy cheap alcohol? You are just too weird.

Don't know who you're referring to. If it's me, would you kindly point out where I ever posted in "I drink too much forum"? Thank you very much.

... In Kanchanaburi, I remember to got 3 big bottles at Tesco @ 209 bath, a week later in Tak, Tesco and neighboring BigC did not have em. On Thursday I went to Tesco in Mae Chan, no big bottles. ...

Not sure why this is in the "I drink too much" forum. Moving it to general.

Maybe because the OP is slamming at least three big bottles each week?

Wouldn't a 700cl bottle be 7 litres and not 10 ?

Errrr yes it is. sorry.gif

I obviously didn't drink enough Sang Som to get it right.

Edited by billd766

Me too, and *especially* if it's cheap crap made to taste all oaky. Like Blend, 100 Pipers, Johnny Red, etc etc etc.

Then again, alcohol is alcohol and beggars can't be choosers. Still, I much prefer just about any rum like Havana Club or Captain Morgan.

My wife's friend has a small shop and told my wife that she had 3 large bottles of Sang Som for me.

Her husband found them, bagged them up and put them in my truck.

The wife then smiled and charged me 250 baht per bottle as against the 207 I normally pay.

My fault for accepting them so I paid for them.

Foll me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I am not going to buy anything else from her again even if it is the last bottle of Sang Som in the country and even if she only wanted 20 baht for it.

Cheap distilled products can be very poisonous. Lao Khao is guaranteed to kill you within 2 years - go on try it

I found Snag Som to be a pleasant drink and not too much hang over next morning so must be reasonably pure - better than Gilbeys gin vodka, bit nasty, can smell the stuff on my skin next morning

SS smells more like my tart so i dont notice

Still got supply problem down here in pataya - bummer

but i got a secret little store where i can get it for 260B

Me too, and *especially* if it's cheap crap made to taste all oaky. Like Blend, 100 Pipers, Johnny Red, etc etc etc.

Then again, alcohol is alcohol and beggars can't be choosers. Still, I much prefer just about any rum like Havana Club or Captain Morgan.

My wife's friend has a small shop and told my wife that she had 3 large bottles of Sang Som for me.

Her husband found them, bagged them up and put them in my truck.

The wife then smiled and charged me 250 baht per bottle as against the 207 I normally pay.

My fault for accepting them so I paid for them.

Foll me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I am not going to buy anything else from her again even if it is the last bottle of Sang Som in the country and even if she only wanted 20 baht for it.

OMG isnt that so typical

not to dis your story, mate, but 1000's more tales just like that out there

stay drunk, then you wont notice that shit all around you

cheers