Bomb blasts kill 28, injure hundreds in Syrian city of Aleppo

News_Editor

Bomb blasts kill 28, injure hundreds in Syrian city of Aleppo

2012-02-11 17:02:39 GMT+7 (ICT)

ALEPPO, SYRIA (BNO NEWS) -- At least 28 people were killed on early Friday morning when two suicide bombers targeted two security facilities in Syria's second city of Aleppo, state-run media reported. More than 200 others were said to be injured.

According to the Ministry of Interior, the first attack happened at around 9 a.m. local time when a suicide bomber driving a white mini-bus broke through the security barrier at the entrance of a law enforcement building in the city's al-Arkoub area. He then blew himself up.

Minutes after the bast, another suicide bomber also driving a white mini-bus blew himself up while trying to break into the military security branch in the New Aleppo area of the city. The government blamed "armed terrorist groups" for the attacks, while state media showed graphic footage of human remains among the rubble of the buildings.

The Syrian Interior Ministry confirmed that 28 people, including both civilians and members of the security forces, were killed while 235 others were injured. The death toll could not be independently verified due to reporting restrictions imposed by the Syrian government.

It was not immediately known who was behind the attack as the government blamed terrorists while opposition groups accused the government of staging the attacks for propaganda purposes.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the twin bomb blasts. "He extends his sympathy and condolences to the bereaved families of the victims as well as to the Government and people of Syria," his spokesman said. "The Secretary-General reiterates that all violence is unacceptable and must cease immediately from all sides."

Also on Friday, the United Nations said the UN General Assembly will meet on Monday to discuss the situation in Syria. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, will brief Member States on the latest developments after a request from General Assembly President Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser.

Last week, the UN Security Council voted on a draft resolution to end the situation in Syria, where thousands of people have been killed over the past 10 months in a government crackdown against a popular uprising. The resolution called for an immediate cessation of violence by all parties and progress towards national dialogue that leads to a peaceful political resolution of the crisis.

However, permanent members Russia and China vetoed the draft resolution, drawing worldwide condemnation.

According to the most recent figures released by the United Nations in January, at least 5,400 people have been killed as a result of violence during the uprising. Syrian human rights and opposition activists say the figure has since surpassed 7,000 and includes hundreds of children.

The Syrian government has repeatedly claimed that violent acts against protesters have been carried out by 'terrorists dressed as soldiers,' although international observers have rejected these claims. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad previously admitted that mistakes were made, but claimed protesters were no longer being targeted.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-11

It was not immediately known who was behind the attack as the government blamed terrorists while opposition groups accused the government of staging the attacks for propaganda purposes.

Genuine peace and democracy loving opposition forces against the dictator should be able to realise and to admit that there are also some third party forces around who are definitely up to no good.

Genuine peace and democracy loving opposition forces against the dictator should be able to realise and to admit that there are also some third party forces around who are definitely up to no good.

Quite. The so called peaceful rebels have already ciaimed this one. Suicide bombing is the MO of Al Qaida and other Islamic militants. Reports from many sources yesterday claiming the presence of Qatari and UK special forces on the ground, " co ordinating and advising the rebels". Also reports that some of the leading Islamic fighters from Libya have now moved on to Syria. It is all very well The West trying to replace a dictator, but replace him with who? They haven't got a clue, and if truth be told they dont really care just as long as Syria is in chaos. Then it is on to the main prize which is of course Iran, without any interference from their ally in the area. After the debacle in Libya surely nobody still believes the West is only getting involved for humanitarian reasons. President Obama "Deploring the bloodshed", this on a day when NATO have killed at least eight children in Afghanistan. Hypocrisy in its purest form.

Making up a bunch of ridiculous justifications and excuses to defend the Assad government is inconceivable to me. They are slaughtering their own people in droves.

Nowhere in my post was i defending Assad. Why not try addressing some of the points i raised instead of trying to smear anyone who doesn't go along with your blinkered view of things. Do you really believe that this is just a spontaneous peaceful uprising with no involvement from outside forces? Despite the fact that up to 2,000 Syrian military personnel have been killed, gas pipelines blown up etc. What sort of peaceful protesters have the kind of military hardware these rebels have. Of course Assad is a brutal dictator, but it was only a short time ago that the US was rendering prisoners there to be tortured by his regime. Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc are of course shining beacons of democracy, but they are our brutal regimes, who are financing and supporting the opposition in Syria. So that makes it ok? Pure hypocrisy

The opposition is not portrayed by anyone as peaceful, merely as weaker.

As for "democracy loving", I don't think many have illusions regarding that and as far as I can this too does not appear in the OP.

There are various unconfirmed reports about foreign presence and aid given to both sides.

The rebels themselvs, btw, aren't a cohesive group. That is sure to add to the confusion.

The opposition ain't Gandhi, but Assad is certainly not the British, unlike his wife.

P.S It's funny how the tumbleweeds that greeted the first 5000 or so deaths have been replaced by a modicum of interest now that external intervention by the west is on the cards.

Previously deleted posts have been restored to view.

Given that the large media outlets are unable to confirm many of the reports coming out of Syria, it's not fair that posters should be required to do so.

Please be civil to one another.

As for "democracy loving", I don't think many have illusions regarding that and as far as I can this too does not appear in the OP.

There are various unconfirmed reports about foreign presence and aid given to both sides.

The rebels themselvs, btw, aren't a cohesive group. That is sure to add to the confusion.

The rebels ...

some of them you could call terrorists.

Next thing you need is the apologists who are telling you why is it okay to kill children - and the peace is restored.

The rebels ...

Next thing you need is the apologists who are telling you why is it okay to kill children - and the peace is restored.

I'll bite. Which ones are rebels and which are terrorists?

I don't know any apologists (your word) that support the killing of children, except for the Assad government apologists

The rebels ...

Both sides of the conflict hurt civilians.

Don't see many painting the rebels in rosy colors like you seem to imagine.

Being called rebels doesn't carry any such meaning.

I would guess they're not made of one mold, though - seems obvious there are few factions and leaders.

No one said it's ok for them to kill innocents.