Importing Rc Transmitter

kawaiimomo

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the proper forum, feel free to move.

I want to resume my hobby of flying RC planes, however I would like to import one of my 3 transmitter/receiver from my country instead of buying a new one. I guess I will have to pay taxes. I mainly would like to ship my radio and receiver and probably a video transmitter/receiver as well. For the plane, I think I will buy a new one here.

Can anyone point me where to look at this info and how much % is for this kind of items? Is it really worth to ship it or I better buy a new one? (the thing is I already have 3 and I don't need any more)

Thanks for your replies ;-)

I seriously doubt if Remote Control radio transmitters are a prohibited item here in Thailand, since they work on a internationally reserved frequency

But you have to ask yourself if you want to go through the hassles of maintaining foreign equipment here in Thailand, when you can purchase it here at any good "hobby shop"

If you do, then have someone send them via regular Parcel Post (not DHL or FEDEX) and you most likely will not get hit with any duty or VAT since you can list a lower value for them since they are used and Thai customs usually does not bother to collect for personal items

I seriously doubt if Remote Control radio transmitters are a prohibited item here in Thailand, since they work on a internationally reserved frequency

But you have to ask yourself if you want to go through the hassles of maintaining foreign equipment here in Thailand, when you can purchase it here at any good "hobby shop"

If you do, then have someone send them via regular Parcel Post (not DHL or FEDEX) and you most likely will not get hit with any duty or VAT since you can list a lower value for them since they are used and Thai customs usually does not bother to collect for personal items

Just bought a very cheap 6 CH TX/RX from ebay and it seems to have cleared customs OK, still waiting local delivery so they may ask for a few baht in duty. It originated from China and was sent standard shipping registered post so I am able to track it. Expecting it in the next few days so I can let you know if any duty was paid.

I've ordered some Loreal hair color (for the wife), arrived through Thai Postal System and got hit with a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT plus a few more baht...when dust settled it was almost a 40% charge.

I've ordered some vitamins, arrived through the Thai Postal System and only got hit with the 7% VAT.

I ordered an auto component (a Racechip), arrived through UPS and got hit with a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT plus a few more baht...when dust settled it was almost a 40% charge.

At a minimum you are going to get hit with the 7% VAT in most cases....after that they seem to jump right to the catch-all 30% import duty plus the 7% VAT. While there are various import duties (lower and higher than 30%) a person has to have all the right import paperwork lined up to get a certain rate.

Here's the Thai Customs site where you can search for import tariffs...you might be able to find the specific import tariff amount you are asking about. Link

Edited by Pib

Thanks for your replies.

Sysardman, I would love to hear about your purchase on ebay.

I agree that there are good hobby shops here, the thing is already have a 6 channels rc equipment that costed me about 20k THB back in europe and I would like to avoid buying a new one. Also, if I ship it how will be the cost calculated? I mean, it's already used and I don;t keep any receipt. Are the customs going to trust the value I specify when sending it? just wondering.

Thanks again to you all ;-)

Thanks for your replies.

I agree that there are good hobby shops here, the thing is already have a 6 channels rc equipment that costed me about 20k THB back in europe and I would like to avoid buying a new one. Also, if I ship it how will be the cost calculated? I mean, it's already used and I don;t keep any receipt. Are the customs going to trust the value I specify when sending it? just wondering.

If the value is believable they probably will; otherwise, they somehow come up with their own value through customs magic math.

I've ordered some Loreal hair color (for the wife), arrived through Thai Postal System and got hit with a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT plus a few more baht...when dust settled it was almost a 40% charge.

I've ordered some vitamins, arrived through the Thai Postal System and only got hit with the 7% VAT.

I ordered an auto component (a Racechip), arrived through UPS and got hit with a 30% import duty plus 7% VAT plus a few more baht...when dust settled it was almost a 40% charge.

At a minimum you are going to get hit with the 7% VAT in most cases....after that they seem to jump right to the catch-all 30% import duty plus the 7% VAT. While there are various import duties (lower and higher than 30%) a person has to have all the right import paperwork lined up to get a certain rate.

Here's the Thai Customs site where you can search for import tariffs...you might be able to find the specific import tariff amount you are asking about. Link

I think they've seen you coming mate, I've imported loads of stuff and only once paid duty on it because the shipper (quite unasked for) put a $10 value on an item that was clearly well over that price so I think the customs took it out on me. Sorry you've had such problems.

Thanks for your replies.

What in particular do you need to know? the TX/RX was only 20GBP but is very popular, I think the model is FS-CT6B or something like that (plenty of reviews on Youtube). Now I've opened my big mouth I'll probably get hammered for dutyangry.png . Last week I had a 450 CNC helicopter upgrade kit delivered (carbon fibre body and metal main and tail rotor + 4000KV motor) - no duty. I think a lot may depend where you live because it sounds like one of the other posters keeps getting hit for import duties. Anyway PM me if there's anything specific I can answer.

There is a paranoia about radio equipment sold or imported into Thailand

it has the be "Type Approved" by the PTT

I know from experience that Amateur Radio equipment will be held by customs, not seized,

and then passed to the PTT for checking before release

Thanks for your replies.

What in particular do you need to know? the TX/RX was only 20GBP but is very popular, I think the model is FS-CT6B or something like that (plenty of reviews on Youtube). Now I've opened my big mouth I'll probably get hammered for dutyangry.png . Last week I had a 450 CNC helicopter upgrade kit delivered (carbon fibre body and metal main and tail rotor + 4000KV motor) - no duty. I think a lot may depend where you live because it sounds like one of the other posters keeps getting hit for import duties. Anyway PM me if there's anything specific I can answer.

Follow up - just got TX/RX today, no tax!!!wai.gif

PS It pays to get to know your delivery man and treat him kindly and with respect (gave him 100B tip) - still waiting for more stuff.

I think they've seen you coming mate, I've imported loads of stuff and only once paid duty on it because the shipper (quite unasked for) put a $10 value on an item that was clearly well over that price so I think the customs took it out on me. Sorry you've had such problems.

Could be...maybe it's the type of stuff ordered and declared customs valve like a certain trigger level...hard to control declared valves when ordering stuff since the shipper is in control of that. All of my three orders have been in the 40USD to 300USD range.

And you are saying you were not even hit with the 7% VAT...even the one 40USD item that came through the Thai Postal System from the U.S. Postal System ended up having the Thai 7% VAT applied...but no import duty...paid the mailman, he then handed me the package and signed customs receipt reflecting the 7% VAT. Even through 40USD was on the customs slip, Thai customs had used a customs value of 100 baht instead.

Could be...maybe it's the type of stuff ordered and declared customs valve like a certain trigger level...hard to control declared valves when ordering stuff since the shipper is in control of that. All of my three orders have been in the 40USD to 300USD range.

And you are saying you were not even hit with the 7% VAT...even the one 40USD item that came through the Thai Postal System from the U.S. Postal System ended up having the Thai 7% VAT applied...but no import duty...paid the mailman, he then handed me the package and signed customs receipt reflecting the 7% VAT. Even through 40USD was on the customs slip, Thai customs had used a customs value of 100 baht instead.

Well I've ordered loads of stuff mainly from China and only ever been hit once for tax or VAT and as I mentioned the shipper put a ridiculous value on an item that was clearly more than that. Maybe it is where you live? has your dog bitten the postman or something? I got a phone the other week (the one's that look similar to iPhones) and wasn't charged anything - I know it sounds cheap charlie stuff but the rate my girlfriend loses or breaks phones I would soon be penniless buying real ones.

That's probably the answer...you are importing from China, and China and Thailand have a free trade agreement (FTA). I expect shipments from countries which Thailand has FTAs with result in no to lower import duties. Free Trade Agreements don't necessary mean "no" import duties on all things, but it does mean no duties on some things and lower duties on other things. My three shipments have come from the U.S. and Germany which don't have FTAs with Thailand. Here's a link showing the countries Thailand has FTAs with. Link

Edited by Pib

That's probably the answer...you are importing from China, and China and Thailand have a free trade agreement (FTA). I expect shipments from countries which Thailand has FTAs with result in no to lower import duties. Free Trade Agreements don't necessary mean "no" import duties on all things, but it does mean no duties on some things and lower duties on other things. My three shipments have come from the U.S. and Germany which don't have FTAs with Thailand. Here's a link showing the countries Thailand has FTAs with. Link

I don't fully understand all the rules about FTAs but I still thought that goods from China would still attract VAT even if the import duties were reduced. The stuff I'm getting would surely be classed as luxury items. I do take your point though that items from different locations may be viewed differently by customs and excise. Maybe the OP should write his address in Chinesejap.gif

Follow up - just got TX/RX today, no tax!!!wai.gif............

What I want to know was it sent for examination and approval by PTT as required by the paranoia over radio equipment in Thailand reported by astral ?

I know from experience that Amateur Radio equipment will be held by customs, not seized,

Follow up - just got TX/RX today, no tax!!!wai.gif............

What I want to know was it sent for examination and approval by PTT as required by the paranoia over radio equipment in Thailand reported by astral ?

Can't answer for definite but I did follow it on the Thailand post tracking system and there was nothing out of the ordinary and it was delivered fairly quick. The box didn't appear to have been opened (although I know they are quite careful with these inspections) and if they did it must have been a quick visual only.

I don't fully understand all the rules about FTAs but I still thought that goods from China would still attract VAT even if the import duties were reduced. The stuff I'm getting would surely be classed as luxury items. I do take your point though that items from different locations may be viewed differently by customs and excise. Maybe the OP should write his address in Chinesejap.gif

The rules about the FTA say that these apply to where goods were manufactured, not where they were sent from (google for Rules of Origin). The origin has to be proven with a Certificate of Origin.

This is how it works in cargo. Postal, parcel and courier services do not go via cargo customs. The same rules should apply, but due to low value of individual shipments and high number of shipments, it would be more expensive for the government (this applies to all governments, not only Thailand) to actually check each of these shipments and collect import duties, rather than give a blanket licence and make random checks.

If an import licence has to be applied for, the final recipient will know about it, believe me. I don't know what happened in this case, maybe this model already had a general licence. (This is possible, like in other countries.)