11 Killed, 28 Injured In Bus-Truck Head-On Crash: Surin

webfact

ACCIDENT

11 killed, 28 injured in bus-truck head-on crash

The Nation

SURIN: -- A speeding air-conditioned bus crashed head-on with a 18-wheel trailer truck in Surin early Wednesday, killing 11 people and injuring 28 others.

Both the drivers of the Bangkok-Si Sa Ket bus and the truck were killed. Ten people died at the scene and another at Sangha district hospital, police said.

The accident happened at 3.40am on the Chokechai-Dejudom Road in Tambon Sakad of Sangha district.

Police quoted survivors as saying that the bus driver was trying to overtake a vehicle but failed so cut into the lane of the incoming truck and the two vehicles collided.

The bus left Morchit Bus Terminal at 8.30pm, heading to Si Sa Ket while the truck was heading to Nakhon Ratchasima.

Rescuers had to use iron cutters to free many bus passengers trapped inside the bus wreckage.

The injured were rushed to several district hospitals - Sangha, Lamduan and Prasat while seven victims, who were severely injured, were sent to Surin Hospital.

The overturned bus's NGV gas tank also leaked, prompting rescuers to douse it with water to prevent it from catching fire.

The accident caused traffic congestion on the road for over two hours.

The bodies of the 11 victims are being kept at Sangha hospital pending autopsy and subsequent claiming by relatives.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-15

So so sad. Sick of seeing these incidents at least every other week popping up, or at least the ones you hear about.

One day maybe something will give one day and stricter road rules and enforcement will help.

Speedy recovery and RIP

My lady and i are going on a coach trip in April. From Chiang Rai to Phuket,a seven day tour. When you read about these

terrible tragedies, you say is it worth it. I am a fatalist by nature, que sera,sera.

God bless the poor people that perished, and a quick recovery to the injured.

My lady and i are going on a coach trip in April. From Chiang Rai to Phuket,a seven day tour. When you read about these

terrible tragedies, you say is it worth it. I am a fatalist by nature, que sera,sera.

For me I would never get on a coach ,bus or mnim bus they don't care don't go......

• Like 1

Can't help it, but I have the impression it's getting worse and worse with the frequency of these accidents lately (and I assume we only read about the most horrific ones...). Practically every three days there's another story of a van, a long-distance bus, a truck being involved in some crash causing scores of lifes.

Can't help it, but I have the impression it's getting worse and worse with the frequency of these accidents lately (and I assume we only read about the most horrific ones...). Practically every three days there's another story of a van, a long-distance bus, a truck being involved in some crash causing scores of lifes.

It is getting much worse and will continue to do so as the number of vehicles increases each year and is not matched by driver education, investment in infrastructure and law enforcement.

• Like 1

"The accident happened at 3.40am"

Anyone who takes a night bus on the minor roads in Thailand is really taking a big gamble

Edited by metisdead
Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette. Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

The frequency of these crashes are rapidly turning the public transportation system here into a joke. The only notable part of this crash is that the driver could not do a runner......RIP to the victims, what a wasteful way to end lives....

It has never been anything other than a joke, if you like laughing at 20,000+ deaths per year.

What boggles the mind is their infuriating arrogance and stupidity behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I often point out this is how they really are behind the repressed emotions and I stick by that. The vast majority of them should be nowhere near a motor vehicle let alone in charge of one carrying passengers and thus endangering their lives also.

I am currently in Australia for business and you can see the care and attention most motorists here have in comparison.

• Like 2

So so sad. Sick of seeing these incidents at least every other week popping up, or at least the ones you hear about.

One day maybe something will give one day and stricter road rules and enforcement will help.

Speedy recovery and RIP

Bit difficult here in Thailand as the BIB's whose job it is to enforce the laws already on the statute book as far as just what constitutes safe driving procedures, neither have the will or the knowledge to enforce them , and that my friend is the simple unadulterated truth of the scandal /Carnage which is seen day in day out on Thailand's roads.

Wonder how much training the driver had to have to be in charge of such vehicle.

Almost any one can "move" a vehicle, however this in no way constitutes " safe driving procedures" and being aware that there are other road users on the road not just you alone ,of which the "normal" Thai Driver is blissfully Ignorant ,hence the insane manouvres we observe when turning right into a side road were the last 50 metres or so are almost always driven /*ridden into the face of on coming traffic!!!

The Tour/Bus companies or any company that hires people that transport other people (including the songtaew drivers for schools) need to take new measures into their own hands or face MAXIMUM penalties as in loss of business, jail, hefty fines etc. etc. etc.

Any operator caught speeding should have to pay 20,000 baht to the policeman that caught them on radar and then face a further 25 years in jail plus pay each passenger on the bus at that time 10,000 baht. STARTING NOW.

It sounds stupid but should be real and doesn't sound near as stupid as the reasons why these fatalities happen each week all over thailand.

Ok my options might be a little harsh but you get the point. How else will this STOP !!!!!

RIP and condolences to the families.

Bus/Tour companies should enforce strict rules in their drivers such as:

• Random drug tests including alcohol and yaba. (very frequently)
  • Training, training and MORE training.
  • Decent salaries to bring drivers that are willing to go through the harsh training, penalties etc.
  • Doctors certificates (eyes, ears and mentally fit etc.)
  • Enforce the "stop for 15 minutes every 2 hours" rule.
  • Companies should be held responsible for compensation to the victims and their families including funeral, hospital fees AND MONEY.
  • Hire representatives to be randomly places throughout all of the routes and to pull over, test and give a "go" or a "no go" to the driver and should have a replacement driver with them.

PS: I my self am going to edit my rules and regulations I have made and have them translated into Thai and send to every Tour/Bus company I can think of. I suggest everyone else does the same in respect for the innocent victims over the years. I will report in a month or so any replies I get and yes I will be diplomatic and write down any other suggestion you people post.

Edited by Gone
  • Like 2

Condolences to the bereaved familes and quick recovery for all of the injuried.

The drivers didn't run away from this one.

I can't understand why there seems to be such a lack of basic safety sense in the minds of the drivers here.

They never leave themselves a way out from a bad situation coming up ahead nor anticipating such.

It's risky business driving here forsure.

RIP to those who have left

You could not pay me to take an over night bus or over nigth mini van

One of these decades the Government will wake up and make driving

course and driving exams manafatory, or am I asleep and dreaming this

There are photo of this accident on bkk post web site, it is amazing that

anyone survived, it appears that the bus was prettymuch cut in half.

So sad, but TIT

What is the safest road transport available in Thailand? Even the normal scheduled bus service I took from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi the driver was never off his phone for the most part of the journey driving one handed.

On my first visit I took one of those minivan tours driven by a student in his spare time. Driving at silly speeds he seemed to rely on hand gestures and hissing noises to make other road users get out of his way. Never again, on my last visit I stuck to the railways for long journeys.

Don't do it.

Take the train.

UPDATE

Surin bus crash kills 12

WICHIT CHUNHAKITKHAJORN

THE NATION

30175984-01_big.jpg

SURIN: -- An air-conditioned bus collided head-on with an 18-wheel trailer truck in Surin's Sangkha district early yesterday morning, killing 12 people and injuring 28 others.

The accident happened at 3.40am on Highway No 24 (Chokechai-Dejudom) in Tambon Sakad.

The driver of the Bangkok-Si Sa Ket double-deck bus, Pradit Sopanawet, and the driver of the truck, Tawan Pannao, were both killed.

Six men and four women, not yet identified, died at the scene while the 11th victim died at Sangkha district hospital, police said. Of the 28 casualties from the crash, seven have serious injuries and were sent to Surin Central Hospital.

An initial police investigation found that the bus driver |was attempting to overtake a vehicle when he cut into the lane of the truck heading to Nakhon Ratchasima and crashed with it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-16

"The overturned bus's NGV gas tank also leaked, prompting rescuers to douse it with water to prevent it from catching fire."

I could be wrong, but I don't think water will prevent a gas fire.

I don't think that you are wrong as leaking gas will blast water out of the way. It would maybe help to prevent a fire spreading should the gas ignite

Have heard lot's of bad reports of stolen items on the Chaing Mai/Bangkok journey.

Stories of people climbing into the luggage wells and systematically going through each bag while the bus is travelling.

Later to emerge and go through the sleeping passengers belongings.

• Like 1

"The overturned bus's NGV gas tank also leaked, prompting rescuers to douse it with water to prevent it from catching fire."

I could be wrong, but I don't think water will prevent a gas fire.

Water doesn't usually cause problems with NGV, which has a Specific Gravity of 0.55 (Air = 1.0) The NGV is 55% as heavy as air, so it will rapidly ventilate into the atmosphere. The real danger is with LPG (Propane/Butane). It has a SG of 1.03; so as it vaporizes, it will sink down onto ground level and creep along the ground to a low point. This tends to surpprise attending amateurs. Damaged/Leaking LPG Tankers can also BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion). See Wikipedia. If you ever encounter a damaged leaking LPG Tanker (Truck or Train), run to a safe area immediately. It can explode like a bomb. Having 40 years of NG Industry experience; I am not really comfortable around the traditional Thai LPG Cookers c/w 1 or 2 x 25 litre tanks of LPG under the cooking rings (a super source of ignition). In Canada, that amount of LPG must be stored outside of the house, on an exterior wall, with connecting pipes installed thru the exterior wall. These tanks should be protected from direct sunlight and your light fingered Thai relatives.

• Like 1