Buying Consortium Power

ChinesePanda

It's not just the local knowledge or language aspect to consider.

You have all ignored the bulk buying aspect. Need a new TV? You will get a much better

deal if you are buying 5 or 10 than one. The discount on a 100k furniture purchase better than on a 10k purchase.

Presumably that would need a significant number of people all wanting to buy the same TV at the same time. How likely is that?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll weigh in on the farang issue since I brought it up.

Yes, the Thai people consider the term "Thai" to be somewhat derogatory in describing them. The word "Thai" is an adjective in Thailand -- as in Thai language, Thai people, Thai country, etc. Thus, they always describe themselves at "khon Thai", not "Thai" They don't describe us as "kon farang", but rather simply "farang", just as they have a similarly mildly derogatory term to describe people from India and Pakistan -- a word that could also be politely translated to mean "guest". (There is no similar polite translation for "farang", unless you consider the Thai word for guava to be a polite alternate translation.)

Educated Thai people, especially "of a certain age", don't use the word "farang", at least around farangs. (Just like polite, educated white people don't use the "N" word even among themselves.) When I first came to Thailand in the 1970s I was told it was an impolite term (by Thai people) and so it still is in my mind. The polite Thai people we know call us "khon dtang pratheet", i.e. people from a different country. The English translation is "foreigner". We need to use that term more often to describe ourselves.

OK, I'll weigh in on the farang issue since I brought it up.

Yes, the Thai people consider the term "Thai" to be somewhat derogatory in describing them. The word "Thai" is an adjective in Thailand -- as in Thai language, Thai people, Thai country, etc. Thus, they always describe themselves at "khon Thai", not "Thai" They don't describe us as "kon farang", but rather simply "farang", just as they have a similarly mildly derogatory term to describe people from India and Pakistan -- a word that could also be politely translated to mean "guest". (There is no similar polite translation for "farang", unless you consider the Thai word for guava to be a polite alternate translation.)

Educated Thai people, especially "of a certain age", don't use the word "farang", at least around farangs. (Just like polite, educated white people don't use the "N" word even among themselves.) When I first came to Thailand in the 1970s I was told it was an impolite term (by Thai people) and so it still is in my mind. The polite Thai people we know call us "khon dtang pratheet", i.e. people from a different country. The English translation is "foreigner". We need to use that term more often to describe ourselves.

I agree 100%!

As for me, I tend to think that only ignorant foreigner's use Farang as it is most likely one of the few Thai words in thier vocabulary.

As far as group buying goes, Just won't work for me. I'm not willing to wait for several weeks to get a small discount on an item. Just to problematic.

Sorry, but anyone who is overly concerned about being called "farang" is going to have a lot of unnecessary headaches in Thailand. It is not derogatory and educated Thais do use the word. Plenty of university professors use it on a regular basis when talking about their Western colleagues. The foreigners who have started this campaign to get rid of the word and make Thailand as PC as back home are on a fruitless mission.

businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-ispc026073.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

"I think if the OP had posted his initial inquiry in a more neutral manner, I wouldn't have over-reacted. Yes, it is a idea worth discussing, but what got my goat was the implication that:"

Any mistake on your reaction was the OP’s fault? It could not be that you misinterpreted or read into things that were not there? With all due respect, it seems more like projection bias and then blaming the OP for your over-reaction.

"1. all white people here are male and have female Thai partners" - The post is obviously for those that have a Thai counterpart and there are a significant number on this board, but if it does not apply to you, why should it bother you? If someone said "Every so often, we (golfers) have to pay a higher price at golf courses, would you get bent out of shape that they are assuming we are all golfers??

"2. none of the white people can communicate in the Thai language" This one is really a stretch. Looks like a personal pet peeve that you have that people assume you cant speak Thai and you are very proud you can. Nowhere did the OP state anything about Thai language or any language used, the OP only said " if we open our big fat mouth", meaning that a foreigner will often get a higher quote, compared to a local approaching the seller. The OP did not say at all whether the communication was in Thai or other language. If you can speak fluent Thai, then hey I think that is great. But, this one was really reading into something that was not there.

"3. all Thai merchants intend to cheat white people – Nowhere did the OP say this, but it is true that many have dual pricing, at least the starting point. Many merchants will make the assumption that foreigners have more money, so will try to charge a higher price. I don’t think there are any doubts about this, are there? The golf courses are one clear example of this dual pricing and many markets are another.

"4. no white person can negoiate a good price on their own -- they need the help of a Thai person". I would say this is the one point where there is some validity. OP is stating he is not as successful, compared to Thai partner. But, I would also say that OP is still correct, as merchants will assume foreigners have more money, so will try to get more money from a foreigner, as compared to a local. It is not to say that all foreigners cant negotiate a good price on their own, but it will be a bit more difficult, as the starting point and willingness to move will be different with a local compared to a foreigner. If you can always negotiate your own good price and dont run into the dual pricing, like at golf courses (if you golf) then that is great. I would hope you can take it in a positive light and maybe you can share some your knowledge and experience how you do this, rather than take the OP as an insult that OP is saying you are helpless and foreigners need Thai help.

"4a) white people blunder thru life; thank god they have a Thai partner, otherwise they'd never survive here." Nowhere did the OP infer that white people blunder thru life. Amazing how one gets this out the OP. OP was only stating that their Thai partner can often get a better price being a local and foreigners are often charged more. Seems more like a chip on the shoulder. Obviously, someone has a chip on their shoulder that they interpret his post as somehow saying no white person can negotiate a good price. If you can, great, but fact is foreigners will be charged a higher price initially compared to locals in many cases.

"5. only white foreigners need this type of assistance. Presumably Japanese nationals, etc, aren't helpless victims." Maybe the OP should have used a different word than falang, since it applies more to foreigners, but dont think people should get bent out shape using falang. And again, nowhere was the OP stating that they are helpless victims. It is that sometime locals will get better prices, at least initially, because it is assumed by many that foreigners have more money and merchants will try to get the most money they can.

"6. white people routinely buy big tickets items" - OP = “especially if we are buying furniture or big items” nowhere did he state that only white people buy big ticket items. He was saying that such a purchasing group would be helpful for buying big ticket items.

No offense meant, but clear we took the OP completely differently. And I think good for all of us to look at our projection biases, insecurities or feelings and how they shape how we interpret the world around us. Seeing how you inferred from the OP makes me also think about how I should word things better or be more careful how some things could be taken.

Getting back to the OP, I agree it will be difficult and may not work for many merchants, but I think it could work for some merchants/ places.

I think of it not like Costco or Sam's club, but like those coupon books or purchasing group cards that negotiate discounts with merchants for their group. So, approaching merchants and saying they have a group of x hundred or thousand people that will patronize their store and increase their business, in return for a discount. Some vendors will not do this, but some might. Some might try it for a few months or a year to see if it does increase their business and profitability and if it does not, would probably cancel. And it would only be considered by vendors who are thinking to increase their business. If they are happy with current business, then maybe they are not so motivated to do something like this.

Like for golfing in Pattaya, which I have never done, but hope to try, I read that there is a Pattaya Sports Card that is something like 600 or 800 baht, but then gets you discounts at the many courses around Pattaya and can pay for itself if you golf 2-3 times. Chiang Mai should try to organize something like this for golf clubs, for some restaurants, and maybe other merchants, auto dealers, etc.

So, this is not taking the angle of only "falangs", but from the standpoint of a large volume or group offering to direct business to merchants in return for discounts. But, obviously from starting out of this board, then it might have a larger percentage of foreigners in such a group, so may target merchants that have higher business by foreigners.

Sorry, but anyone who is overly concerned about being called "farang" is going to have a lot of unnecessary headaches in Thailand. It is not derogatory and educated Thais do use the word. Plenty of university professors use it on a regular basis when talking about their Western colleagues. The foreigners who have started this campaign to get rid of the word and make Thailand as PC as back home are on a fruitless mission.

businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-ispc026073.jpg

I agree with you, UG, 100%. Folks who keep bringing this up should consider the phrase "pick and choose your battles." This one they'll never win. The word "farang" is used by all manner of Thais, from the hi so upper class, to the peasant farmers. Foreigners use it as well and you know what? Who cares.

As for the OP, I've tried to warn the guy that his idea is just not workable. He'll put in an awful lot of effort and gain very little, if anything. The concept is pretty basic. You go to a stall on Walking Street and ask for the price of a trinket and you'll get it. You say you'll buy ten and of course, you will get a per unit discount. So the more people you can get to buy the particular item that you want, yes you can get a discount. Simple? I wonder. But why stop it at just farangs? Why not try to get as many people as possible, including Thais? You'd get a bigger discount if you can pull that off, no?

I hope the OP can find success and report back to us. But honestly, I'll bet any price he can get, I can beat it. Perhaps the illusion of getting a good deal is good enough.