Red-Shirt Leader Natthawut Must Not Neglect Duties As Minister

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Natthawut must not neglect duties as minister

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- If Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had not appointed Nalinee Taveesin as a PM's Office minister in last month's Cabinet reshuffle, red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua would have been the most criticised new member of the ministerial line-up.

The public and the media have paid more attention to Nalinee, a businesswoman who is on a US blacklist for her business connections with the Zimbabwean regime, than they have to Natthawut.

Natthawut, as a representative of the red shirts, received the reward of a Cabinet post after fighting the cause of their leader, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

In fact, the ruling party had wanted to appoint him a minister when Yingluck became premier, but at that time public sentiment did not seem to welcome any red-shirt protester becoming a Cabinet member.

With less pressure from the public and the media six months on, Natthawut apparently feels relieved and has coped with the new position quite well, despite still being in the spotlight.

On the day of his first Cabinet meeting at Government House, he was mobbed by the media before and after the proceedings. Moreover, he answered all questions when confronted by the media.

"He came to work very early. I saw him keeping busy with reading documents. I think he did good homework," said Thitima Chaisaeng , the PM's deputy secretary-general and acting government spokeswoman.

Despite his eloquence on the movement's stage, the red-shirt heartthrob prefers to listen than to speak in Cabinet meetings, said a fellow minister, who asked not to be named. Most of his opinions are about politics or parliamentary matters, the colleague added.

So far, Natthawut's manner has quite impressed other ministers. However, while the youngest newcomer has apparently tried to portray himself a good boy to veteran Cabinet colleagues during meetings, Natthawut seems to be disappointing in his role as a deputy agriculture minister.

Although he said he was keen on the job he had been assigned because he came from a farmer's family, his most outstanding performance since taking up the post has been to keep himself busy welcoming visitors.

As a red-shirt leader, many of the movement's supporters have come to see him at his office at the Agriculture Ministry, which has left him with little time to perform his main functions.

"Even the media have to join a long queue in order to interview him. We have to wait to see him after he finishes meeting with his red-shirt supporters," said a journalist based at the ministry.

"There is almost no room to sit in his office, because it is occupied by visitors of Natthawut and Aree [Krinara, secretary to Natthawut and former red-shirt guard]," said an official at the ministry.

Moreover, the area in front of his room and the ministry's cafeteria are normally full of red-shirt supporters, and the parking lots are also full.

"We came to support and take care of him. We were afraid that he would be bullied," said a female member of his fan club.

Natthawut and Aree also have about 20 men in black suits as their guards.

"We are quite scared. We hardly go to the cafeteria because his men are often seen there," said another ministry official.

Natthawut hardly uses or assigns ministry officials to perform tasks but has his own staff, another Agriculture Ministry official said, adding that the new minister "may not trust us".

He also often misses meetings at the ministry, citing that he has to attend a political class arranged by the Election Commission Office. This means that his major tasks are attending Cabinet and parliament meetings.

Perhaps it is time for Natthawut to take stock of the situation after having been a minister for almost a month. If he chooses to continue to cling to or seek to please his supporters, he will surely fail to deliver the required ministerial performance.

If he fails to achieve, he will only be remembered as a red-shirt leader, and not as a minister.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-16

All I need to know about Natthawut is what I saw in his famous you bring the bottles I'll supply the gasoline speech. This man should have no position other than prisoner. That is not to say at all that his fellow prisoners should not include people involved in the coup or many others who have promoted violence and unlawful activites.

A post has been removed for misuse of fonts and quoting, replies have been removed as well. From forum rules:

Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette.

When replying to parts of people's posts, rather than using bold font, use the Insert quotation feature to highlight the content you are responding to:

post-33509-0-40906100-1329375208_thumb.j

Use of bold font is bad forum netiquette which could also be considered as shouting. From forum netiquette:

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

Use the default forum font when posting.

This anti-Nathawut and Red Shirt article, reminded me of yesterday's thread on Thida's appointment, and the many negative comments that article elicited.

It is obvious from such negative commentary, that these people have not been around Red Shirts in any meaningful ways, Their comments reflect that. The Red Shirts are a mainstream, dominant political Movement with a very positive social climate. They especially treat Farangs like celebrities.

So why are the UDD/Red Shirts seen as negative by some Farangs? I think it boils down to some people buying into a belief system and mantra of the Opposition holus-bolus:

What are some elements of this belief system:

• That the coup was warranted
  • That the actions of the PM at the time of the coup were so egregious, they couldn't wait for an election to fight the issue
  • The self-righteous indignation of the Opposition was not self-serving
  • They accept that coup-spawned Red Shirt Democracy Movement was anti-social and anarchistic as opposed to being anti-coup, according to this Opposition mantra.
  • The armed attack on these anti-coup people by representatives of the coup-ists are not condemned in spite of the deaths of Thai citizens. In contrast, some accept the Opposition's characterization of Red Shirt resistance as anarchic, by anti-social people.
  • Some accept the Opposition mantra that these multi-thousands of anti-coup red Shirts have no redeeming Democracy motives, but are unwitting pawns of the coup-ist's political enemies

When one accepts these Oppositional notions at face value, anti-Red Shirt sentiments are understood. Whereas when one questions these Opposition ploys and considers the opposite of above, one would have an entirely different perspective.

This Nathawut article demonstrates some of these Oppositional perspectives, such as:

• Appointing Nathawut earlier would have been criticised by the public, when in fact it was only the concern of the Opposition, as a result of his role opposing their coup.
  • Suggesting Nathawuts appointment was a reward for his connections, severely denigrates the motives of thousands upon thousands of genuine anti-coup and pro-democracy taxpayers whom he led.
  • Several times attributing Opposition agenda to Public sentiments confuses the two. To suggest the Public at large shares Oppositional notions of the Red Shirts is not real., as the election amply demonstrated.
  • All-in-all, crticicising Nathawut is understandable, considering the charismatic strength of the guy and formidable future electoral opponent he will be.

Edited by CalgaryII

So why are the UDD/Red Shirts seen as negative by some Farangs?

Oh, I don't know, maybe when they started rioting, attacking unarmed bystanders, intimidating anyone who disagreed with them shooting at soldiers, lobbing grenades, and burning down dozens of buildings, most sensible people took those actions to be completely crazy.

That they did these things is not debatable - so you must approve of them, which is pretty sad IMO

• Like 2

Som Tum Tiger - ^

Oh, I don't know, maybe when they started rioting, attacking unarmed bystanders, intimidating anyone who disagreed with them shooting at soldiers, lobbing grenades, and burning down dozens of buildings, most sensible people took those actions to be completely crazy.

They were protesting a theft of their elected Govt. via a coup

Then when attacked by the representatives of that coup, they fought back.

What did you expect them to do ...."hey, roll me over and do it again".

Most protests turn into riots when protesters are attacked.

Your characterization of their fightback is grossly magnified in keeping with the agenda of the armed aggressors who attacked them.

Several of the fightback scenarios you reference are in dispute, as to who was responsible. Several were done by the coupists in order to embarrass the Red Shirts.

Those who fired the bullets killing over 90 taxpayers seem to be blameless with you. But the fightback is demonized. Doesn't compute.

If it was as you say, the voters in the last election were not convinced, and did not succumb to the Opposition's agenda as you have. They elected these Red Shirts, thereby validating their protests, and invalidating the attack upon them.

If things were as you say, are the voters complicit then?

Edited by CalgaryII

Som Tum Tiger - ^

They were protesting a theft of their elected Govt. via a coup

Then when attacked by the representatives of that coup, they fought back.

What did you expect them to do ...."hey, roll me over and do it again".

Most protests turn into riots when protesters are attacked.

Your characterization of their fightback is grossly magnified in keeping with the agenda of the armed aggressors who attacked them.

Several of the fightback scenarios you reference are in dispute, as to who was responsible. Several were done by the coupists in order to embarrass the Red Shirts.

Those who fired the bullets killing over 90 taxpayers seem to be blameless with you. But the fightback is demonized. Doesn't compute.

If it was as you say, the voters in the last election were not convinced, and did not succumb to the Opposition's agenda as you have. They elected these Red Shirts, thereby validating their protests, and invalidating the attack upon them.

If things were as you say, are the voters complicit then?

Do you mean how they were attacked at government house on April 8 and Thaicom on April 9?

Oh, that's right. It was the red shirts doing the attacking then.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

^

Do you mean how they were attacked at government house on April 8 and Thaicom on April 9?

They were protesting.

That is what protesters do!

And their protests were justified!

Voters validated it in the election that followed.

They protested that they were being governed by an unelected minority, when they knew they were the electoral majority.

Anyone who accepts that is a fool.

^

They were protesting.

That is what protesters do!

And their protests were justified!

Voters validated it in the election that followed.

They protested that they were being governed by an unelected minority, when they knew they were the electoral majority.

Anyone who accepts that is a fool.

Then they should have waited until elections instead of storming parliament and Thaicom. As it turned out, they protested with guns and grenades the following night.

It sounds like you approve of mobs protesting against governments when they don't like what they're doing. You would probably also approve of the yellow shirts protesting against a corrupt Thaksin government, and a proxy government trying to whitewash his crimes. We wouldn't want any double standards now, would we?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

^

Then they should have waited until elections instead of storming parliament and Thaicom

It sounds like you approve of mobs protesting against governments when they don't like what they're doing

People who don't accept coups, dont wait until elections to turf the coup-ists.

They find the coup-ists wherever they are and confront them.

This wasn't a case of protesting against a Government------A coup does not a Government make ---- regardless of the subterfuge coup-ists use to try and present a valid Govt. face.

^

You would probably also approve of the yellow shirts protesting against a corrupt Thaksin government,

I dont debate indoctrinated Thaksin haters.

Thaksin is not my issue - Democracy and Electoral Politics is.

Edited by CalgaryII

After having heard the latest party political broadcast let's go back to the topic of "K. Nattawut must not neglect his duties as Dept Minister of Agriculture".

Personally I have no idea what this Pheu Thai party list MP and UDD leader has done so far. The OP suggests he might have a scheduling of activities problem. Some days having only 24 hours simply doesn't seem enough, you know. Luckely only red-shirt supporters come to say hello, imagine also his Pheu Thai votes would drop by. Well at least with all these activities he stays out of mischief wink.png

^

Then they should have waited until elections instead of storming parliament and Thaicom

It sounds like you approve of mobs protesting against governments when they don't like what they're doing

People who don't accept coups, dont wait until elections to turf the coup-ists.

They find the coup-ists wherever they are and confront them.

This wasn't a case of protesting against a Government------A coup does not a Government make ---- regardless of the subterfuge coup-ists use to try and present a valid Govt. face.

Once again, you forgot that 3 years had passed since the coup. The coup-ists organised an election. Are you saying that the PPP coalition wasn't a government?

^

You would probably also approve of the yellow shirts protesting against a corrupt Thaksin government,

I dont debate indoctrinated Thaksin haters.

Well, you can't argue for Thaksin and for democracy in the same sentence, can you.

We came to support and take care of him. We were afraid that he would be bullied," said a female member of his fan club.

Natthawut and Aree also have about 20 men in black suits as their guards.

"We are quite scared. We hardly go to the cafeteria because his men are often seen there," said another ministry official.

Natthawut hardly uses or assigns ministry officials to perform tasks but has his own staff, another Agriculture Ministry official said, adding that the new minister "may not trust us".

Indeed a slewed vision of democracy or rather it is the Red Shirt view of democracy which has many similarities to the delightful policies of the Khmer Rouge

Well why not return to your country of origin and give the electorate there the chance to elect you into a position of power then you can be of use to them and explain what a democratic process is in your view. Somehow I doubt if the good people of your country of origin would accept your skewed view of politics.

Here you are but a an itinerant political nobody interfering in cultural, social and political matters you have no understanding off..

Why not return to T.D or are you banned from there now ?

"The Red Shirts .......... especially treat Farangs like celebrities."

Every farang that I saw with the red shirts during the attempted overthrow of the democrat government seemed to have serious psychological problems. The trend continues.

^

Here you are but a an itinerant political nobody interfering in cultural, social and political matters you have no understanding off..

On this score you are absolutely correct....the only one.

I truly am an itinerant political nobody here in Thailand...a nothing...about as inconsequential as one could be.

No argument there.

But being a political junkie, that doesn't prevent me from spouting off about Politics anywhere, including here in Thailand.

That is what political junkies do.

Whether or not I lack understanding, I will let those who read my posts decide.

But Siampole, help me out. How do you do those quotes as in your Post #19 above?

Edited by CalgaryII

This article is truly ridiculous. I challenge any of the PT bashers to offer evidence of significant work done by any previous Deputy Ministers of anything.

I would like to expand the scope a wee bit into challenging anyone out there to offer evidence of significent work done by any previous Dept. Minister of Anything. Go back ten, twenty years if you wish.

ANSWER: 1996, Dept PM Thaksin S., getting rid of Bangkok's traffic jams in six months time cheesy.gif

Edited by rubl

Every farang that I saw with the red shirts during the attempted overthrow of the democrat government seemed to have serious psychological problems. The trend continues.

Attempted overthrow of the Democrat Government?....Let me correct that for you OzMick....the 'Coup Democrat Government"

Coup perps by there very nature are meant to be challenged and not accepted.

The last election showed the electoral sham they were.

Attempted overthrow of the Democrat Government?....Let me correct that for you OzMick....the 'Coup Democrat Government"

Are you saying that whenever a party that is in power is defeated in an election, that the way that they came to power is an electoral sham?

Having lived here for many a year I do not voice my opinions regarding political matters, however the crooked politicians are commented on as are the crackpot political commentators.

On the contrary, let me correct you. The government that you continually refer to as "stolen" was not a goernment at all as its mandate had expired. Subsequent the coup there was an election, and when sufficient elected MPs decided they no longer wished to be associated with a party found guilty of electoral fraud, they changed alliance and formed a co-alition with the Democrats. No coup was involved, not even a judicial coup as the courts were carrying out their normal duties of punishing electoral misbehaviour - one of the basic tenets of democracy.

As I said, the trend continues.

• Like 1

Are you saying that whenever a party that is in power is defeated in an election, that the way that they came to power is an electoral sham?

Huh?

If they came to power via non-electoral machinations such as a coup, or Parliamentary manipulative and coercive methods, they are an electoral sham...or in other words, parties that come to power by non-electoral means are an electoral sham.. Yes.

I think I got that right. Is that what you were asking?

On the contrary, let me correct you. The government that you continually refer to as "stolen" was not a goernment at all as its mandate had expired. Subsequent the coup there was an election, and when sufficient elected MPs decided they no longer wished to be associated with a party found guilty of electoral fraud, they changed alliance and formed a co-alition with the Democrats. No coup was involved, not even a judicial coup as the courts were carrying out their normal duties of punishing electoral misbehaviour - one of the basic tenets of democracy.

OzMike you have like many others told Calgaryll and others of his ilk many times what the situation was, yet he and his ilk understand nothing,

Bigots tend not to understand what they hear or read if it deviates from their small mindsets