Mark Kent Has Been Appointed As British Ambassador To Thailand

webfact

Change of Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand

post-327-0-23797100-1329357164.jpeg

LONDON: -- Mr Mark Kent has been appointed Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand and Her Majesty's Non-Resident Ambassador to the Lao People's Democratic Republic.

He will succeed Mr Asif Ahmad who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment. Mr Kent will take up his appointment by July 2012.

Mark Kent joined the FCO in 1987 and has spent most of his career working with the emerging powers of South East Asia and Latin America, and with the European Union. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management and has language qualifications in Thai, Vietnamese, Spanish, Dutch, French and Portuguese.

On his appointment as Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand and Her Majesty’s Non-Resident Ambassador to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Mr Kent said:

“I am honoured to be given the opportunity to serve again in South East Asia. Relations with the rising powers of this region are important for the UK's future prosperity, Thailand is the second largest economy in ASEAN and trade and investment will be high on my agenda. Consular work with UK tourists and residents will also be a priority. The UK aims to play a constructive role with both countries in helping to create a political, social and economic environment which is conducive to fostering further growth in trade, investment, tourism and enhancing our wider relationship, as well as encouraging a strong role within ASEAN and on wider global issues“

Curriculum vitae

Full name: Mark Andrew Geoffrey Kent

Married to: Martine Delogne

Children: Two

November 2010 - Present: Thai Language and other training

2007-November 2010: Hanoi, Her Majesty's Ambassador

2005-2007: FCO, Deputy Director, Migration

2004-2005: Belgium, International Affairs Adviser to Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

2000-2004: Mexico City, Commercial Counsellor and Consul General

1998-2000: FCO Spokespman covering Middle East and Kosovo Conflict

1993-1998: UKREP Brussels, First Secretary (External relations)

1989-1993: Brasilia, Second Secretary (Press and Political)

1987-1989: FCO, Assistant Desk Officer, Near East and North Africa Department

1987: Joined FCO

Source: http://www.fco.gov.u...sR&id=730740582

-- fco.gov.uk 2012-02-16

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having been through the British Embassy during Mr Ahmad's tenure I would say that a change is a good thing. First job for Mr Kent (could you get a more "British" name?) is to mention the concept of "the door". The staff at the embassy are helpless to the extreme or just, as I put it when they lied to my face about my daughter's birth registration document/the date/passport application (apologised for by a VC), plain pathetic. Luckily the VC demonstrated how right the embassy could get a standard procedure, let's just hope that is the conversation that Mr Kent has with his staff. It would be a shame to find the same rude, dismissive and culturally disrespectful service at the embassy in the future.

Having been through the British Embassy during Mr Ahmad's tenure I would say that a change is a good thing.  First job for Mr Kent (could you get a more "British" name?) is to mention the concept of "the door".  The staff at the embassy are helpless to the extreme or just, as I put it when they lied to my face about my daughter's birth registration document/the date/passport application (apologised for by a VC), plain pathetic.  Luckily the VC demonstrated how right the embassy could get a standard procedure, let's just hope that is the conversation that Mr Kent has with his staff.  It would be a shame to find the same rude, dismissive and culturally disrespectful service at the embassy in the future.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but I used tem twice last year and had no bother at all. Nor should I, mind, with the ammount of readies I was forced to part with....

Fantastic news-I'm very pleased. Given the amount of trade/tourism/expats Thailand is an important post.

This Ambassador I can see having a few pints with the Commonwealth cousins.The FCO training him in Thai is a good move, wonder where the other one will be posted?

Edited by WilliaminBKK

Praying for Mr Kent to do some good for us Brits and not just make things easier at the embassy but by stirring sh*t up and giving it a real go. Getting out and speaking to the people who matter and not just relaxing into his cushty post, from the sounds of his resume he hasn't had a bad place to work so heres hoping for more solid work from him.

Don't worry I'll sing his praises now but naturally will be one of the first to chirp up if something is a miss.

Asif Ahmad's appointment was always intended to be a temporary posting to fill in the gap left by the early exit of the last ambassador the inimitable Quinton.

Any suggestions that he has been incompetent, malfescent or has made some mistake during his tenure is tosh.

Praying for Mr Kent to do some good for us Brits and not just make things easier at the embassy but by stirring sh*t up and giving it a real go. Getting out and speaking to the people who matter and not just relaxing into his cushty post, from the sounds of his resume he hasn't had a bad place to work so heres hoping for more solid work from him.

Don't worry I'll sing his praises now but naturally will be one of the first to chirp up if something is a miss.

I am sure you will chip in if something is A Miss if not amiss

I think the Thai Police would describe it as a move to an Inactive Post for the previous incumbent. Mr Kent, we love the bit that says you will concentrate on amongst other things we Expats living here. When can we have a breakfast meeting to discuss pensions!licklips.gif

It has already happened at the tail end of last year instigated by the present ambassador, who invited an FCO minister to the meeting. Sorry you missed it.

Having been through the British Embassy during Mr Ahmad's tenure I would say that a change is a good thing. First job for Mr Kent (could you get a more "British" name?) is to mention the concept of "the door". The staff at the embassy are helpless to the extreme or just, as I put it when they lied to my face about my daughter's birth registration document/the date/passport application (apologised for by a VC), plain pathetic. Luckily the VC demonstrated how right the embassy could get a standard procedure, let's just hope that is the conversation that Mr Kent has with his staff. It would be a shame to find the same rude, dismissive and culturally disrespectful service at the embassy in the future.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but I used tem twice last year and had no bother at all. Nor should I, mind, with the ammount of readies I was forced to part with....

I have had issues before, mostly with visa applications, and always because you can never, these days, get hold of anyone [british] to clarify something. It resulted in a complete, and expensive, shambles in 2010, and I ultimately wrote to Asif Ahmad about the problems I had experienced. His reply suggested he was - naturally - looking at things from the wrong side of the counter, and I left a further reply until I had been through the visa process for our last visit. I'll forget the reply now he is on the way out, but suffice to say I was more than a little impressed at having the last visa issued in just 3 days from application.

Mr Ahmad was at a do with me and my cousin.

He said we'd go a lot further in Thailand if we had our hair shorter (my cousin has been here 15 years and I've been here 20) so I said "As if Asif" and he looked at me like I'd pooped his daughter one.

Still, what a load of silly comments there are here.

Mr Ahmad is British and that's good enough for me and has done a fine job.

Mr Ahmad was at a do with me and my cousin.

He said we'd go a lot further in Thailand if we had our hair shorter (my cousin has been here 15 years and I've been here 20) so I said "As if Asif" and he looked at me like I'd pooped his daughter one.

Still, what a load of silly comments there are here.

Mr Ahmad is British and that's good enough for me and has done a fine job.

True.

Still, looks like this thread has been semi-hijacked by the BNP Thailand branch who relish at writing the cr@p about the outgoing ambassador that we have seen on this thread.

Mods?

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

And please don't twist my words with your own poorly written prose. I did not write "people expect their Ambassador to conform to given ethnic criteria", these are your words not mine.

I actually wrote "While the skin colour of an ambassador should make no difference whatsoever, the reality is until every person on the planet has views in line with that of the politically correct "BBC ethos" it does. People expect a UK Ambassador to look, talk and act a certain way, rightly or wrongly and that does effect how successful they are in that position, rightly or wrongly."

Read it, try your best to understand it and reply with some level of intelligence and accuracy to what I have actually written, not what you have interpreted it to mean. Thank you.

Mr Ahmad was at a do with me and my cousin. He said we'd go a lot further in Thailand if we had our hair shorter (my cousin has been here 15 years and I've been here 20) so I said "As if Asif" and he looked at me like I'd pooped his daughter one. Still, what a load of silly comments there are here. Mr Ahmad is British and that's good enough for me and has done a fine job.
True. Still, looks like this thread has been semi-hijacked by the BNP Thailand branch who relish at writing the cr@p about the outgoing ambassador that we have seen on this thread. Mods?

Personally I'm all in favour of racists being allowed to sound off as they just demonstrate their utter ignorance and provide a laugh for everyone else.

People who have an issue with Mr Ahmad being the British ambassador are probably the same types who can't get their heads around non-white British people representing their country in any field, be it diplomacy or sports teams.

Probably one of the best own goals of recent years (rivalling the Iranian butter-fingered bomb thrower) was the BNP's poster using the image of a WW2 Spitfire fighter to supposedly represent Britain defending itself against foreign invaders and European (especially Eastern European) immigrants. Sadly for the dim-wits the image was of a Spitfire belonging to 303 Squadron, a top rated RAF squadron piloted entirely by Poles! See below...

article-0-03BAE3B3000005DC-255_468x351.jpg

• Like 1

Comments on moderation have been removed.

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

True.

Still, looks like this thread has been semi-hijacked by the BNP Thailand branch who relish at writing the cr@p about the outgoing ambassador that we have seen on this thread.

Mods?

Well put.I glanced at this thread and the appalling level of racism and stupidity was off putting in the extreme.As it happens I know something about the background to Asif Ahmed's appointment and departure, but all I will say is that he is destined for further promotion.The clues are all there in his past CV if the neanderthal element bothered to do their homework.

Mark Kent did an excellent job in Vietnam so I'm sure will also shine here - but not a typical FCO type. (Thank goodness I hear some say!)

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

Asif Ahmad's appointment was always intended to be a temporary posting to fill in the gap left by the early exit of the last ambassador the inimitable Quinton.

Any suggestions that he has been incompetent, malfescent or has made some mistake during his tenure is tosh.

Funny you didn't point that out when we all complained and wanted someone a bit more representative of the British Christian majority to represent us.

Maybe I missed your post to that effect? Please provide a link to your previous TV post?

Edited by ludditeman

I think it says more about Britian by the fact it is willing to put someone of different ethnicity in the role - and gone are the days of Etonian old-school-tie brigade in such posts. All that counts is that their loyalties are with Britain, they are of good character, speak English and do a good job - the rest is hyperbole. I wish Asif luck in his new role, wherever that may be - and welcome Mr Clarke. Let's hope he does indeed spend a bit more effort improving the lot and helping woes of citizens living here (that would make a welcome change).

I believe the banning of pork was only restricted to residence - I doubt any staff would be admonished for eating a ham sandwich in the embassy grounds or going out and having a pork lunch (I would guess most of the employees do just that - go out for lunch - anyway).

Interesting bit of trivia: One of the first "rulers" of Britain was actually black (African). He was Roman governor to Britain during Roman occupation.

• Like 1

Funny you didn't point that out when we all complained and wanted someone a bit more representative of the British Christian majority to represent us.

Maybe I missed your post to that effect? Please provide a link to your previous TV post?

Not sure when you last looked but there is no Christian majority in the UK.

Half the nation classifies itself as secular (non-religious), 44% as Christian and 6% as non-Christian religions. Of those who class themselves religious only 14% attend a service weekly. As the older generation dies off this non-religious element is growing fast with only 36% religious 18-24 year olds compared to 72% of people over 65% who are religious.

The role of any diplomatic representative is to be the best person to represent all British interests (even BNP types).

http://ir2.flife.de/data/natcen-social-research/igb_html/index.php?bericht_id=1000001&index=〈=ENG

I hope the new ambassador reads this thread!

What I want him to pay attention to:

1. The present and new ambassador both stressed that their job is to promote business and that they will not intervene in Thai politics or legal matters here. This basically all but abandons the average British Mr Smith that may have family here. Issues relating to being able to have permanent residence here (I am not talking about that 200,000 baht rubbish PR scheme), work permits for Brits, spouse and parent rights for Brits with Thai spouses and dependents. These issues mean a lot to the average Brit living working or retired in Thailand.

2. The Brits abroad are citizens of the UK and also VOTERS and there is a significant number of us here to warrant ACTION based on our needs and wants. We have/are still paying UK tax and this also adds weight to our voice.

3. The immigration system regarding bringing the Thai spouse and dependents of Brits to the UK (on a permanant basis) is not reasonable, not convenient and does put unfair barriers and burdens on British families. What is he going to do to fight for us? Such immigration policies remind me of echoes of BNP chants. I hope he will ensure that we do not feel such in the future.

4. Healthcare and pension rights and services for those who are of that age (I am not, but I am sure many are).

5. Swift, effective and powerful intervention in matters where crimes have been commited against Brits in Thailand. An impotent approach does not get my respect.

6. As far as I can remember, besides Spain, Thailand has the most number of Brits abroad - it is time our voice was heard and acted upon. Not the simple diplomatic BS of thank you for the comments and forget about us!

I could go on.

Edited by AngryParent

When I was born, I was Christened, throughout my schooling I was taught to be a good Christian, have Christian values, pray and sing hymns.

I am not a Christian, but my upbringing was, as was the upbringing of 98% of the UK population.

To set someone from an entirely different culture, with an entirely different set of values as my representative is an insult to me and my fellow countrymen.

I and my fellow countrymen may no longer care all that much about Christianity, but the fact he devoutly subscribes to a religion that instructs that all non-believers should be avoided (at best) and harmed (at worst) can't be a good thing.

IMHO.

Edited by ludditeman

Half the nation classifies itself as secular (non-religious), 44% as Christian and 6% as non-Christian religions. Of those who class themselves religious only 14% attend a service weekly. As the older generation dies off this non-religious element is growing fast with only 36% religious 18-24 year olds compared to 72% of people over 65% who are religious.

The role of any diplomatic representative is to be the best person to represent all British interests (even BNP types).

http://ir2.flife.de/...index=〈=ENG

Of course as younger people get old, they too often find religion - its frighteneing to be dieing soon, and its a long way off at 24 (on average). The fact that older people are getting older still and staying alive (but still expect to kick the bucket at any moment) then surely religion will pick up.

Also, I never believe such polls. They are always biassed towards the people paying for them - no one asked me or anyone in my family, so its not exhaustive. What cross section was used? What questions were asked (the actual words used and the order of the questions)? Where and when was it conducted? What was the sample number (and age/race/gender/health and wealth breakdown)? Without all that number are just meaningless numbers.

Edited by wolf5370