Smoke, Smog, Dust 2012 Chiang Mai

Tywais

Until last night, round midnight, when I went out to lock the gate ... and looked up ... I had not seen stars for so long a while.

But, mirabile dictu, there were two planets, and even some dim stars visible.

Now, round quarter-past-four in am, outside again, I see no hint of the 1~2% waxing crescent moon, which is probably not in my field of view from the front of the house. But, I do see some faint stars !

Does this mean ... something ? ... will I, tomorrow, be able to say "I look up into the hills from whence cometh my sustenance;" and actually see them or, will I say, yet again, "I look up into the smog smothering the hills from whence cometh my accursed agony through the breath" ?

We shall see.

best, ~o:37;

There are some high level clouds this morning that probably are keeping you from your early morning star-gazing orang. The air though does seem dirtier this morning up here in Mae Taeng than yesterday at the same time. I've seen a marked decrease in large scale burning up here in the last week which is a good sign. With that said though, I did see folks piling up leaves at a small rural temple and setting them alight.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some high level clouds this morning that probably are keeping you from your early morning star-gazing orang. The air though does seem dirtier this morning up here in Mae Taeng than yesterday at the same time. I've seen a marked decrease in large scale burning up here in the last week which is a good sign. With that said though, I did see folks piling up leaves at a small rural temple and setting them alight.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun T_Dog,

I was surprised to see them at midnight last night, particulary the brighter planets lower in the sky, and surprised even more to see faint-ones at 4am, but see them, I did :)

Sorry to hear about the conditions in Mae Taeng: my best wishes for the health of you and your family !

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Anyone care to hazard a guess at the date in April by which we might have relief from the pollution ?

thanks ! ~o:37;

Songkran when water gets thrown,increases the relative humidity and rain making commences again! jap.gif

Or simply as soon as the rains really arrive! Early March last year hence the best year for many as far as the smog is concerned, sadly very little sign as yet. And with another rice harvest not too far away there is a potential for a lot more burning even now.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Anyone care to hazard a guess at the date in April by which we might have relief from the pollution ?

thanks ! ~o:37;

To get real rain we have to wait until all the old water has been thrown away at Songran and then wait again until they fire the rockets at the clouds to punch holes in them and make it rain.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Harry, and Khun Thailand,

Thanks for your kind remarks in response to my recent rhetorical nervous breakdown :)

The raison d'etre for Songkran of course, is metaphysical in nature: the Nagas (Phayanaak), who loll in the waters in the great cosmic ocean that surrounds the seven concentric circles of primordial matter separated by moats, that surround Mt. Meru, on the top of which is the Tavatimsa Heaven of the Buddha ...

Are lazy ! Yet, it is they who bring the rains. And the Songkran (solar, rather than lunar, rite de paysage) limnal time is when they must have their asses kicked, so to speak, in order to do their job.

Hence, the sympathetic magic of Songkran water-throwing.

The Orangutan cohabiting with me (us) can speak directly to the Nagas, and he informs me, through our only channel of communication, dreams of the most extraordinary vividness, using certain symbols and signs, that the Nagas are now in such a state of unusual torpor, that even their songs (which if we could hear them with human ears would have the harmonies and melody of the swan song of a galaxy being sucked into a black hole) are slurred.

I speculate that both Cantor and Godel, who both went mad probing the ordinality of infinities, the Aleph: had their madness triggered by direct contact with Nagas, who were infuriated as they began to "poach on" the secret structure of their musical harmonic structure.

It is not known, to me (us) whether "the trigger" for their dementia was that they considered an infinity of zeroes, or if they approached the "no-go" zone of beginning to consider if zero itself was an infinity left behind by the absence of all other finities.

We all must make the choice between one, many, or, an infinite number of, or zero ... zeroes: then live with the consequence. Pretend to be indifferent to that choice, and ... there will be unimaginable consequences.

If you do not hear from me (us) further on this thread, it may well be because by using the word "lazy" in reference to you-know-who, I will have summoned their ferocious energy, and I will drown while on dry land in my own tears.

Looking at the firemap: there has been a susbtantial reduction in the number of fires both inside and oustide of Thailand, I wonder why?

Suspect it is approaching the end of the burning season. It started early this year and hopefully will end earlier then usual. Either that or they are running out of material to burn. biggrin.png

They are probably all in hospital. Flew over CM the other day and the amount of fires burning was staggering. They just don't get it, nor will they anytime soon. Sadly.

Just came back from a smog-free holiday at the seaside. The primary health concern in Prachuap Khiri Khan was preventing a sun burn (see photo). Since the locals in the north seem to be learning resistant with regard to environmental problems, I am beginning to consider moving south.

Cheers, CMExpat

post-61719-0-65230800-1332671664_thumb.j

Sawasdee Khrup, sweltering, even with the fan aimed directly on your bodies, TV CM Friends,

Sunday round midnight still 82.4F, 6:45AM today 79F. 80.6 F from 2AM to 5:30AM. Entire night never below 78F.

Can one assume ... ? Hot air no longer rises, the forces in the atmosphere that control the high-altitude winds, and jet-stream, are on vacation in the Himalayas ?

Bob Dylan did not write: in "Blowing in the Wind:"

"How many times will a cold shower help,

Before sweat soaks through the sheets,

How many days choking as you breathe,

Before wind and rain come to your relief ?

How many trees are left still to be burned

Before they're all charred, smoking ash ?

The answer, my friend, is not just no wind:

It's greed, and need: deja vu: again, again"

heatedly, ~o:37;

• Like 1

How is the air right now? Does the recent lack of posts on the subject suggest improvement?

Missus Dude and myself plan to visit Chiangers next month but I'm loathe to book the flights until it becomes apparent that the burning season is over and the air's moving towards a healthier state.

How is the air right now? Does the recent lack of posts on the subject suggest improvement?

Missus Dude and myself plan to visit Chiangers next month but I'm loathe to book the flights until it becomes apparent that the burning season is over and the air's moving towards a healthier state.

Slight improvement. Can see the mountains now at least. Kids seemed to have stopped coughing too. Still hazy though, the sky is a mix of grey and faint blue.

Slight improvement. Can see the mountains now at least. Kids seemed to have stopped coughing too. Still hazy though, the sky is a mix of grey and faint blue.

The 'slight improvement' means that the pollution level is considerably less than half what it was just ten days ago, and about 30% below the 'safe limit' of 120 µg/m3. No guarantees for the future, though...

/ Priceless

• Like 1

^ yeah it's been hovering around the 100 mark in recent days - server is currently down so can't post an image. It's not terrible but also pretty far from what you'd call good.

Next month though should be fine, especially towards the end when the rains will hopefully set in and end the madness...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun LordDude,

I am loathe to be here, and I live here smile.png ... right now.

It's not just the pollution, it's the heat, but, yes, the pollution is the number one source of discomfort. Even when the pollution is below critical levels in terms of health-warnings, as so thoughtfully analyzed, and discussed, here, by Priceless, MapGuy, and others, it is still, at the least, an aggravating factor that for me, as a bicyclist, is so bad that I just don't bike any more except before dawn, or after 11PM at night.

This year's discussion, as in previous years, imho, has neglected the significant differences in air-quality in various neighborhoods of Chiang Mai compared to what goes on in the central city area, and the heavily travelled highways (Super, Suthep, Huay Kaew, Nimmanheiman, Charoen Muang, Kotchasarn, Chang Pluek aka Chotana, Moon Muang, Chang Lor, etc.). And, around the public markets, like San Pak Hoi, Nong Hoi, Tannin, etc., during the peak stop-to-get-food-to-take-home-for-dinner hours from 3-4pm on.

When I turn off left, going by bicycle south on the old Chiang Mai Lamphun highway, at the big tree 150 meters south of the end of the Kawila Military reservation, to enter Ratutit Road, and then pass the Gymkhana Club on the right, there is a tangible change in air quality, and air temperature, and, by the time I go about 1.5 kilometers further, to reach home, I the perceived change is even greater. Not only cooler, but the air is "tangibly sweeter."

My advice: unless you and your family are up for the Songkraan madness of April, postpone travel here. The start of the "mango rains" does not follow any calendrical system known to human beings smile.png Who is to say this is not the year of delayed mango rains, and more hell throughout April ?

Edited by orang37

Just returned from an overnighter at Maesai and left CM valley witha few of the distant mountains in view, but the further north we went, the worse it got and the CR valley was totally hazed in. Returned yesterday pm and was still same as when we left. Didn't see too many fires burning along the way.....maybe 8 or 9, but lot of burnt ground and still lots of dry brush just waiting for the next fire. It's not over yet!!

Home Pro, Hangdong Rd was well stocked with air purifiers today. Time to buy one for next year......

It's premature to call the end of the burning season right now... PM10 not as horrible as it was, but nothing to write home about, either. I dislike that peak of 160.

post-20814-0-72600900-1333041376_thumb.p

My best WAG is 16th April, around 2pm.

Sounds positive...My next Joli will be following week so hopefully no smoke masks needed.

Couple of years ago (following a big fire ) we cut a series of " breaks" around our place in Mae-On and according to my guy out there...hes under orders... we have had no problems up to now so heres hoping.

Although no one seems to be up in arms at the moment about the smoke, dust, haze, whatever....I had to ride out near Maejo University today.

Stifling heat, and lots of smoke that had me coughing continuously in my helmet.

So it has gone from very nasty, to just bad. For that I am thankful.

hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 1

Has anyone had any physical, medical effects from all this pollution? ME, 10 days ago, after a month of a bad cough that wouldn't go away, woke up at about 3 am, with chest pains, as if someone was standing on my chest. Fearing a heart attack, I had to drive myself 15km to the McKormick hospital, to the ER. An EKG test showed my heart was in good health, & the doctor on duty diagnosed strained chest muscles from the cough. That drive into town seemed to last forever.

Yeah MESmith, I have a continuous cough that sounds like I am a patient in a TB ward.

A few days ago when I got up and was coughing so hard I thought my lungs were being extruded through my mouth...I strained a muscle in my lower abdomen. Probably similar to your symptoms. The pain went away in a day or so.

Just lovely, this.

Has anyone had any physical, medical effects from all this pollution? ME, 10 days ago, after a month of a bad cough that wouldn't go away, woke up at about 3 am, with chest pains, as if someone was standing on my chest. Fearing a heart attack, I had to drive myself 15km to the McKormick hospital, to the ER. An EKG test showed my heart was in good health, & the doctor on duty diagnosed strained chest muscles from the cough. That drive into town seemed to last forever.

Myself and two of my kids both had blood noses, and my wife and daughter still have bad coughs.

Yesterday on television, some local big wig was up at Huay Tung Tao with a fire engine, supervising the spraying of water into the air. Hopefully, this great act will clear the air in no time. Actually, if that was yesterday, then shurely the air should be clear today........

The reaction to this "event" of my Thai wife roughly translated as "<deleted> does he hope to achieve".......

Yep, for the first time in 7 years I am finding it hard to breathe and am taking medication to help.

I have been away from CM three times since the pollution started and every time I go my breathing returns to normal within 24 hours,

I'm so sorry that I have to come back.

Here it is in a nutshell:

"Remember, you are dealing with a government whose health minister recently tried to blame the rise in dengue fever on 'women wearing hot pants'."

:cheesy: Maybe there should be a website - things Thai politicians said (in public, and on the record).

The government is hopeless, everyone knows that. The only chance for change is from the people. Love it that there was a protest in CM - that's good! Now it's up to 160... I had planned to return next week but maybe I'll postpone. Beaches are nice and the air is clean here in Koh Chang...

I actually think Thailand needs an environmental movement. Somebody who for the first time puts the environment on the agenda.

We spent the first part of our forced holiday in Hua Hin and the state of the beaches and ocean there is frankly disgusting. Some days it was better, but others it was like bathing in a garbage dump. Just like with the burning, this problem could very easily be avoided.

Instead of talk of buying air purifiers and hoping the situation is ever going to improve, the only intelligent solution is to just move, which I am now in the process of doing. Barring the ability to get out of here from Feb - April or owning a home/business you can't sell, it just doesn't make any sense staying here. There are a number of other locations in Thailand that offers everything CM has and without all this sickening pollution.

Time to wake up and smell the roses, (along with the acrid smoke) and head for healthier settings. Life is too short and this type of environment can only make it shorter and less enjoyable overall.

Had a bad night of sleeping - nasal passages shut down, barely breathing, and thought it was because the AC might be too strong or something. Opened the curtains and took in the day's view (from my 8th floor balcony) and "voila" - there's the reason. We're right back to smoke levels we had about 3 weeks ago. This nightmare

just

won't

end.

It really beggars the question - if one cannot safely live here for one quarter of the year, is it really sensible for foreigners to consider CM as a viable retirement destination? Obviously things will never change, since a ghastly two months of smoke "crime" is simply answered with as much smoke as possible as soon as possible the very moment things look to improve.

(sound of weeping)...