Smoke, Smog, Dust 2012 Chiang Mai

Tywais

"Yesterday on television, some local big wig was up at Huay Tung Tao with a fire engine, supervising the spraying of water into the air."

This is my first visit to Chiang Mai, arrived in late January, so most of my experience of this city has been wrapped in a haze of orange dust. Each story I read about it is more ridiculous than the last - the above quote being the topper lol

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bad night of sleeping - nasal passages shut down, barely breathing, and thought it was because the AC might be too strong or something. Opened the curtains and took in the day's view (from my 8th floor balcony) and "voila" - there's the reason. We're right back to smoke levels we had about 3 weeks ago. This nightmare

just

won't

end.

It really beggars the question - if one cannot safely live here for one quarter of the year, is it really sensible for foreigners to consider CM as a viable retirement destination? Obviously things will never change, since a ghastly two months of smoke "crime" is simply answered with as much smoke as possible as soon as possible the very moment things look to improve.

(sound of weeping)...

It isn't really three months of each year, it seems that it's more like a six week period on average when the air quality is exceptionally poor. For some people that means taking a holiday for a few weeks, for others that means stay here and live a restricted lifetsyle for that period. One of the problems for an expat is trying to decide where to live in Thailand, you could move South to Phuket where the air is much cleaner and truly bad days are far and few between, I know, I moved away from CM to Phuket for four years for that very reason but eventually I came back. The trade off in that move is higher cost of living, higher crime rates and almost constant humidty, one of the really nice aspects of life in CM is the change in seasons which makes it somewhat unique. Other choices might include living in Pattaya which is not for me I'm afraid, Bangkok and all that entails, ditto, and finally Issan, double ditto.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Anybody see the post on the Telegraph blog from this dingbat!

"Jonathan Buttall

Today 12:55 AM

Sounds like more of the nonsense the Western press always writes about Thailand. I was there in November. The floods were mostly gone except for some rice fields and a few neighborhoods in the central part of the country. Bangkok was almost completely dry. Visibility in Chiang Mai was perfect. Upon visiting the Buddhist temple on top of the mountain overlooking the city 1800' feet up, the entire valley Chiang Mai was in had perfect visibility. If you visit Thailand, don't worry, and believe nothing the Western press writes about it. "

Probably got relatives in government here!

So, time for a calandar of when NOT to be in CM ...

New years period - bad traffic - Nov-Feb

Fire burning - March- April

Songkran-idiots - ant just too hot - April

Wet season - May-July-August

Loi Kratong - fireworks madness - November

.... just off the top of my head, theres a lot more to add in there.

"Jonathan Buttall

Today 12:55 AM

Sounds like more of the nonsense the Western press always writes about Thailand. I was there in November. The floods were mostly gone except for some rice fields and a few neighborhoods in the central part of the country. Bangkok was almost completely dry. Visibility in Chiang Mai was perfect. Upon visiting the Buddhist temple on top of the mountain overlooking the city 1800' feet up, the entire valley Chiang Mai was in had perfect visibility. If you visit Thailand, don't worry, and believe nothing the Western press writes about it. "

Probably got relatives in government here!

I wouldn't worry about him too much- he got caned on his behind relentlessly after making that stupid FNG post.

One of the problems for an expat is trying to decide where to live in Thailand, you could move South to Phuket where the air is much cleaner and truly bad days are far and few between, I know, I moved away from CM to Phuket for four years for that very reason but eventually I came back.

Yes, Chiang Mai certainly has its good sides. For many of us, one of the primary criteria is infrastructure. There is Bangkok, then there is a big gap, then there is Chiang Mai, then another gap, then there is Phuket, Pattaya, and (possibly) Hua Hin, and then there are all the other small towns where its hard to find adequate infrastructure. Because of the smog issue, I am starting to look south, but I finding a comparably nice and safe place with decent schools and family facilities isn't easy.

Some people are in the habit of categorically disavowing what they don't see with their own eyes or feel themselves. Reminds me of the 'air-is-not-so-bad' apologetics.

Cheers, CMExpat

So, time for a calandar of when NOT to be in CM ...

New years period - bad traffic - Nov-Feb

Fire burning - March- April

Songkran-idiots - ant just too hot - April

Wet season - May-July-August

Loi Kratong - fireworks madness - November

.... just off the top of my head, theres a lot more to add in there.

From what you've written I doubt you'd be happy anywhere!

• Like 1

What's up with the air quality website (http://aqmthai.com/), last post for CM City Hall was for 11:00 on Friday. Seems pretty bad today again, perhaps a coincidence or maybe it's a conspiracy?!? Seriously any ideas?

It appears that they are working on the website, it's been password protected for most of the day. The measuring station at City Hall has been down with technical problems since Friday. Will be interesting to see if it's up when the website comes up again.

/ Priceless

• Like 1

Every year there is a report that is useful to read: the Environmental Performance Index (EPI):

http://epi.yale.edu/dataexplorer/countryprofiles?iso=116THA

You'll see that Thailand does fairly well rank-wise. Control of air pollution, however, is not one of the highlights.

Now that the CM air pollution is only "moderately bad," due to a lovely rain last night, perhaps you'll take a moment to check out this web site.

Good, better or best, there is, of course, a monstrous seasonal problem regionally in SE Asia due to common agricultural economies with traditional practices as well as population and economic development pressures. Country comparisons only give some broader perspective, but your nose knows here and now that there is something serious to deal with.

• Like 1

After his memorable performance broadcast internationally (See Post 704 above) high above the streets of Chiang Mai characterized by the Aljazeera reporter as a "publicity stunt," the governor has apparently become a little smarter according to reports in the Chiang Mai Mail. As you'll see, he apparently doesn't climb long ladders any more! However, he's announced victory AGAIN during our brief "breathing spell." A little more guarded about it than the last time!

By the way, I happened to see a city fire truck emptying its water into the moat after the governor led a parade of fire trucks around the moat! rolleyes.gif

Who gives the governor PR advice anyway! How long will officials continue to make fools of themselves?!

Airport opens “Heal the Earth” project with smog reducing activities

As part of the AOT’s efforts to increase corporate responsibility and help locals combat smoke, water from firetrucks was sprayed in the air at the opening of their new project.

- Chiang Mai Mail (1 April 2012)

Smog situation improves in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Governor ML Panadda Diskul announced that despite lowered levels of PM10 particulate matter in the air, the clean air campaign will continue to fight burning and fires.

Nopniwat Krailerg

Chiang Mai Governor ML. Panadda Diskul reported recently that the smog in the province had improved with PM10 levels better in many areas of the Northern Province. However, he noted that it was not time to rest and the campaign to fight fires and for clean air would continue. Local officials, amphurs, village headmen and many others were asked to help join the campaign in fighting smog in the province in a bid to reduce the smog and haze affecting the province for the past 2 months. He added that the upcoming Songkran Festival would see many visitors to Chiang Mai and that it was hoped good weather would help clear the air.

"Haze in the region has affected the general public. It is also a major obstacle to the travel community. Studies show that without efforts to reduce it, it is likely to increase every year. Mae Jo University is assisting in offering communities information on the cultivation of the Pho mushroom and Pak Wann because many villagers believe that burning the forest will result in greater production of the expensive mushrooms, contributing greatly to the haze. Other programs will be implemented to reduce the burning of fields by farmers.

PM10 levels or Particulate Matter was measured below the government’s maximum recommended level of 120 on March 30, with City Hall reporting 115.3 micrograms per cubic meter on March 30 and Yuparaj Wittayalai school at 94.7 micrograms per cubic meter.

- Chiang Mai Mail (1 April 2012)

• Like 2

The table row showing air pollution at Chiang Mai City Hall has been removed from the aqmthai.com website. I can only conclude that the local problem has been solved in the time-honoured Thai fashion. I.e. the existence of the problem has been denied and thus the problem does not and has never existed. All evidence has gone up in smoke and EVERYTHING IS JUST ROSY! SO KEEP SMILING!! AND DON'T COUGH!!!!!!

The table row showing air pollution at Chiang Mai City Hall has been removed from the aqmthai.com website. I can only conclude that the local problem has been solved in the time-honoured Thai fashion. I.e. the existence of the problem has been denied and thus the problem does not and has never existed. All evidence has gone up in smoke and EVERYTHING IS JUST ROSY! SO KEEP SMILING!! AND DON'T COUGH!!!!!!

OMG you're right!!!

It was there yesterday but has text to the effect of "Not Available" in place of the number we'd usually see.

The officials who are responsible should consider just exactly what they are doing by moving to withhold this information. Adverse health consequences experienced from this point forward can rightfully attribute this decision as cause.

OMG you're right!!!

It was there yesterday but has text to the effect of "Not Available" in place of the number we'd usually see.

The officials who are responsible should consider just exactly what they are doing by moving to withhold this information. Adverse health consequences experienced from this point forward can rightfully attribute this decision as cause.

You people should think again. If you go to the reports on Northern Haze ( http://aqnis.pcd.go.th/report/northernhaze/2012-APR ) you will find the following concerning yesterday's data for 'City Hall' (according to Google Transtale): 'No data due to equipment failure.'

The figure for Uparaj College is 65.2 µg/m3, so I don't think you should worry too much about health effects right now.

The 'Public Report' site ( http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php ) has been down on and off for the last two months due to ongoing work on the software. I'll admit that working on the live site, instead of working off-line and then uploading, says a lot about the qualifications of PCD IT staff, but suspecting sinister intentions probably says more about you than about PCD.

/ Priceless

• Like 1

Upon further examination, it appears the row in the table for Chiang Mai has only been moved. It's a dreadful web page, but if you can manage to look closer, you'll see that the table is in fact hosted in its own frame. You need to scroll down almost to the bottom of the frame to see the entries for Chiang Mai.

Why the move though?

...but suspecting sinister intentions probably says more about you than about PCD.

Yeah, nothing sinister ever happens in this world.

You people should think again. If you go to the reports on Northern Haze ( http://aqnis.pcd.go....rnhaze/2012-APR ) you will find the following concerning yesterday's data for 'City Hall' (according to Google Transtale): 'No data due to equipment failure.'

The figure for Uparaj College is 65.2 µg/m3, so I don't think you should worry too much about health effects right now.

The 'Public Report' site ( http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php ) has been down on and off for the last two months due to ongoing work on the software. I'll admit that working on the live site, instead of working off-line and then uploading, says a lot about the qualifications of PCD IT staff, but suspecting sinister intentions probably says more about you than about PCD.

/ Priceless

"You people"!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you%20people

Today's view of the fires on http://firefly.geog.umd.edu/firemap/ clearly shows that they fires have slowed down on the Thai/Mayanmar border, but it appears that most of northern Laos is burning right up to the Thai border and is now the 'hotspot'. the hotspots seem to change over the season, [due to wind, rains or maybe all the underbrush is already burned up??]

Today's view of the fires on http://firefly.geog.umd.edu/firemap/ clearly shows that they fires have slowed down on the Thai/Mayanmar border, but it appears that most of northern Laos is burning right up to the Thai border and is now the 'hotspot'. the hotspots seem to change over the season, [due to wind, rains or maybe all the underbrush is already burned up??]

But remember, according to many doubters, imported smoke is not a problem!

According to the AQI figure in my sons school this morning, the AQI is 60. I guess they got it before they decided to password protect the figures

for some reason. Driving there you cannot see Doi Suthep at all, and you can see smoke lying across all the fields on the way. If that is the real figure, then something is very wrong.

One measuring station in CM out of service, followed by website changes, followed by readings that to my eye and nose are way too low (having kept a close eye on visibility and figures for

a consideable time). Also, all these changes take place just after the time the governor of CM is told to do something, and his immediate response is to spray water around from fire engines as a publicity stunt,

and little else from what I can see. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but something stinks, and it is not just the air.

Edited by shroomer

According to the AQI figure in my sons school this morning, the AQI is 60. I guess they got it before they decided to password protect the figures

for some reason. Driving there you cannot see Doi Suthep at all, and you can see smoke lying across all the fields on the way. If that is the real figure, then something is very wrong.

One measuring station in CM out of service, followed by website changes, followed by readings that to my eye and nose are way too low (having kept a close eye on visibility and figures for

a consideable time). Also, all these changes take place just after the time the governor of CM is told to do something, and his immediate response is to spray water around from fire engines as a publicity stunt,

and little else from what I can see. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but something stinks, and it is not just the air.

The relative humidity was 83% at 7:00 AM. The bad visibility (only 2,500 metres at the airport) is in all probability due to a meteorological phenomenon called FOG.

The AQI figure is probably from yesterday, it seems to fit in with the observations from City Hall (77.3) or Uparaj (64.3).

The password protection of the aqmthai.com website is obviously idiotic. It seems that they do all their work on the live site, instead of working off-line and then uploading. Competent they are not!

/ Priceless

• Like 1

All they can do realistically is posture, pose and procrastinate until the rain finally comes in some quantity. What do we expect them to do? Should they bomb our neighbors or arrest a few million farmers? Here is my take on the burning of paradise.

My take would be that your view is rather cynical, perhaps unknowingly.

I'll summarize it in a few bullet points:

- The best way to ensure that nothing will ever change is to claim that nothing will ever change.

- The problem is multi-facetted, but it is also well understood, and so is its solution.

- And yes, some farangs actually do understand it.

- Burning is associated with unsustainable agricultural methods, such as mono-cropping, slash-and-burn, multiple harvests, lack of waste management.

- It is also associated with customs and ways of life.

- Customs can be changed, processes can be improved, people can be educated, and things can get better.

- It requires political will, funding, education, public awareness, and law enforcement to do that.

- This applies universally to environmental problems. Thailand is no exception.

Cheers, CMExpat

• Like 2