Smoke, Smog, Dust 2012 Chiang Mai

Tywais

I'm getting scared. Late last night started getting this feeling in my upper chest, like it's tightening or something. Still with me now.

* Don't get scared.

* Decide if you want to go see a doctor

* If not, stay indoors.

* Decide if you want to visit Pattaya or Hua Hin.

It's high, but not has high as it has been on occasion in the past. (Close, though)

Buy some room air filters as well. Mine have been working full blast for 2 months now.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The firefly map is back up & running. Lot's of fires in north Thailand in "last 24 hrs" sad.png

Also northern Laos seems to on fire, as well as northeast Burma.

You have to admit that there are very few fires near to CM and that the border regions SEEM to be the main offender. So, if smoke from the border region can travel to cover the CM basin it can surely travel from other countries, no?

The other part of this mystical equation is, how many local fires does it take to produce a 200+ sub PM10 reading here, one would imagine it must be a shed load - I don't see a shed load currently!

I googled it and can't find much info, what are the "205.68" numbers? I assume its measuring air pollution or air quality and higher is worse, what is bad? How to track this? How does this compare to say Los Angeles?

The number '205.68' is the amount of pollution by particles in the air of less than 10 micrometers in 'aerodynamic size' (PM10), expressed in microgrammes per cubic metre (µg/m3). These are the particles that are breathable, i.e. can enter your respiratory system and lungs. The number could most usefully be compared to e.g. the Thai standard which is 120 µg/m3 or the USEPA standard which is 150 µg/m3. According to more recent research the most unhealthy part of this pollution is the particles that are less than 2.5 micrometers (PM2.5). However, as far as I have been able to find out, only USA and Canada currently have standards for PM2.5 in force, though EU will have a limit from 1 January 2015.

It is important to note that the standards relate to 24-hour averages, single 1-hour measurements may be much higher or lower than that since large diurnal variations are common. To get an idea of the PM2.5 levels when you only have access to PM10 values, the World Health Organisation suggests that about half of the PM10 concentration consists of PM2.5 'in urban areas in developing countries'.

/ Priceless

• Like 1

This morning i was caught in a traffic jam around the moat. The problem turned out to be a convoy of ancient fire engines squirting water into the air. As we inched past, my wife espied at the head of the convoy, our Governor K. Diskul. The words 'pissing in the ocean' came to mind!!. seriously if these childish publicity seeking antics are the best our governor can come up with, he should consider resigning.

This morning i was caught in a traffic jam around the moat. The problem turned out to be a convoy of ancient fire engines squirting water into the air. As we inched past, my wife espied at the head of the convoy, our Governor K. Diskul. The words 'pissing in the ocean' came to mind!!. seriously if these childish publicity seeking antics are the best our governor can come up with, he should consider resigning.

Response to the problem from Government Agencies etc has been quite pathetic but are we are surprised ?Like the floods the problem will be gone soon and will re appear next year ,business as usual. There are thousands of soldiers stationed in Northern Thailand with very little to do .Why have they not been out out putting out fires weeks ago. My guests are leaving a few days early, they have had enough,multiply that by others who feel the same and the local economy gets a huge hit ,many of those will never return.The Governor of CM reminds me of the Bangkok Governorwho a few months ago was wandering around the flooded sois of Bangkok cradling a large Buddha replica praying to the weather Gods to spare Bangkok .TIT.

I googled it and can't find much info, what are the "205.68" numbers? I assume its measuring air pollution or air quality and higher is worse, what is bad? How to track this? How does this compare to say Los Angeles?

The number '205.68' is the amount of pollution by particles in the air of less than 10 micrometers in 'aerodynamic size' (PM10), expressed in microgrammes per cubic metre (µg/m3). These are the particles that are breathable, i.e. can enter your respiratory system and lungs. The number could most usefully be compared to e.g. the Thai standard which is 120 µg/m3 or the USEPA standard which is 150 µg/m3. According to more recent research the most unhealthy part of this pollution is the particles that are less than 2.5 micrometers (PM2.5). However, as far as I have been able to find out, only USA and Canada currently have standards for PM2.5 in force, though EU will have a limit from 1 January 2015.

It is important to note that the standards relate to 24-hour averages, single 1-hour measurements may be much higher or lower than that since large diurnal variations are common. To get an idea of the PM2.5 levels when you only have access to PM10 values, the World Health Organisation suggests that about half of the PM10 concentration consists of PM2.5 'in urban areas in developing countries'.

/ Priceless

Thanks for the very useful information. - Just to add the EU has a limit of 50 ug/m3 for PM10 (http://www.env-it.de...A4E5.2?comp=PM1). - I attached a Regional Haze Map from yesterday, courtesy of aqmthai.com. They say 'Moderate Haze'...post-78175-0-67132200-1332251732_thumb.pBut interesting the wind directions.

/ Priceless

Thanks for the very useful information. - Just to add the EU has a limit of 50 ug/m3 for PM10 (http://www.env-it.de...A4E5.2?comp=PM1). - I attached a Regional Haze Map from yesterday, courtesy of aqmthai.com. They say 'Moderate Haze'...post-78175-0-67132200-1332251732_thumb.pBut interesting the wind directions.

Yes, but as has been pointed out several times before, the EU limit is not for a single 24-hour period. It is instead for the 36th highest value of a calendar year, i.e. 10% of the year may have higher values than that, with no maximum limit. (This is the reason why I did not mention the EU limit.)

/ Priceless

• Like 1

This may be of interest to some. This week I emailed the Pollution Control Department and asked them:

Can you please tell me how many fines have been issued/imposed for unauthorised lighting of fires in Northern Thailand region in 2012?

They answered:

Unfortunately, The Pollution Control Department do not have the authority to issue fines or prosecute illegal uses of fires. Thus we do not carry official information about such fines. Provincial police offices might carry the information you need. For Information about forest fires, please contact Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation for this information ( http://www.dnp.go.th and their e-mail contacts: http://www.dnp.go.th...3/mailparo1.htm ).

Edited by chiangmaibruce

There have been shows on television of people living tough lives like "Deadliest Catch" and "Ice Field Truckers." Now it looks like the History Channel is going to have a show called "Haze Hell over Asia." Maybe someone who gets the History Channel can offer more info on what the show is about, as here is all I could find about it......"In "Haze Hell Over Asia," we take off from the historical September 1997 haze in Southeast Asia. The story of one of the worst environmental disasters in history unfolds for the first time, through the people who lived through the deadly haze attack and the heroic firefighters who fought to douse the fires."

• shroomer - 'there is still a lot of work to be done' - Thanks for the report.
  • Priceless - thanks for rectification.
  • Chiangmaibruce - good question, good answer. Now we all visit our provincal police offices and ask 'how many fines have been issued/imposed for unauthorised lighting?' - Might be a new experience.

Great images and some links in 'Southeast Asia Shrouded by Smoke - March 15, 2012'

http://earthobservat...21&src=eoa-iotd

Did you read this? http://www.thaivisa....hick-with-dust/

• Like 1

Looking at the firemap: there has been a susbtantial reduction in the number of fires both inside and oustide of Thailand, I wonder why?

Suspect it is approaching the end of the burning season. It started early this year and hopefully will end earlier then usual. Either that or they are running out of material to burn. biggrin.png

Looking at the firemap: there has been a susbtantial reduction in the number of fires both inside and oustide of Thailand, I wonder why?

Suspect it is approaching the end of the burning season. It started early this year and hopefully will end earlier then usual. Either that or they are running out of material to burn. biggrin.png

We can only hope, it'll be interesting to see what the burining profile looks like at the weekend since Friday/Saturday seem to be peak times.

Don't know about reducing--I just listened to Happy Radio whilst driving the car back to Hang Dong and the radio DJ--speaking in Thai, was talking about the statistics for Mae Sai and Tachilek--470.8 he said, and continued to tell the audience that 120 was the normal max.--and then joked that along with a mask the people up there should, maybe, be wearing snorkelling/diving goggles as well.

I will try to ask one more time my question (promise this will be the last one) ... where is the closest city to escape for a week-end ? Sukhothai, Mae Sot, Tak (Bhumipol Dam) ?

Thanks if anyone just come back those places recently ...

P.

I will try to ask one more time my question (promise this will be the last one) ... where is the closest city to escape for a week-end ? Sukhothai, Mae Sot, Tak (Bhumipol Dam) ?

P.

Anywhere south of Bangkok.

P.

We have family in Sukhothai who tell us the air is not great currently so I would rule that one out, also, the governor of TAK province was going to write to his Burmese counterpart to complain about the effects of Burmese burning on TAK so that ones also a non starter! Nikster may be right when he suggests anywhere south of Bangkok.

This may be of interest to some. This week I emailed the Pollution Control Department and asked them:

Can you please tell me how many fines have been issued/imposed for unauthorised lighting of fires in Northern Thailand region in 2012?

They answered:

Unfortunately, The Pollution Control Department do not have the authority to issue fines or prosecute illegal uses of fires. Thus we do not carry official information about such fines. Provincial police offices might carry the information you need. For Information about forest fires, please contact Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation for this information ( http://www.dnp.go.th and their e-mail contacts: http://www.dnp.go.th...3/mailparo1.htm ).

That's an amazingly prompt and professional response. I'm impressed, actually.

Maybe Doi Inthanon? Anyxone been there the last few days?

There is not accommodation that's high up enough. Just go to Pattaya.

They answered:

Will you share with us the reply from the Provincial Police, when they answer your follow up query? whistling.gif

There have been shows on television of people living tough lives like "Deadliest Catch" and "Ice Field Truckers." Now it looks like the History Channel is going to have a show called "Haze Hell over Asia." Maybe someone who gets the History Channel can offer more info on what the show is about, as here is all I could find about it......"In "Haze Hell Over Asia," we take off from the historical September 1997 haze in Southeast Asia. The story of one of the worst environmental disasters in history unfolds for the first time, through the people who lived through the deadly haze attack and the heroic firefighters who fought to douse the fires."

According to the True Vision program schedule, it will air on Channel 18, the History Channel, on 31 March at 1930, again on 1 April at 0100, 0600, and 2100, then many more times during April.

Until last night, round midnight, when I went out to lock the gate ... and looked up ... I had not seen stars for so long a while.

But, mirabile dictu, there were two planets, and even some dim stars visible.

Now, round quarter-past-four in am, outside again, I see no hint of the 1~2% waxing crescent moon, which is probably not in my field of view from the front of the house. But, I do see some faint stars !

Does this mean ... something ? ... will I, tomorrow, be able to say "I look up into the hills from whence cometh my sustenance;" and actually see them or, will I say, yet again, "I look up into the smog smothering the hills from whence cometh my accursed agony through the breath" ?

We shall see.

best, ~o:37;