george

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am due to fly with them return in 2 weeks to HKT from BNE

Thanks you pack of wanke_rs!!!

I have done my $900 Aud cold.

Qantas just announced on Australian radio that they have aircraft on the ground in phuket and will fly passengers back to Aus for $600 AUD excluding surcharges and taxes. expensive for a oneway flight.

Qantas see it as an opportunity to make money , and they need it

Check Singapore Airlines now as a special offer I got was just under $1000 AUD and thats return to Brisbane from Sing...If you add the taxes and surcharges(about $400 AUD) to Qantas, It will be the same....but for a ONE WAY FLIGHT....They arent helping anyone....

No one should travel without travel insurance these days. In my experience, even paying by credit card doesn't ensure any help whatsoever any longer.

As noted above, travel insurance is cheap and affordable and easy to get online in minutes. The good thing about AirAsia too is that they do offer insurance as an option when booking.

It's nice it's an option in case you've purchased it elsewhere, nothing no one hates more than paying double for something.

Qantas just announced on Australian radio that they have aircraft on the ground in phuket and will fly passengers back to Aus for $600 AUD excluding surcharges and taxes. expensive for a oneway flight.

some ones dead is somebody Else's bread .....; comes true

• Like 1

Under the Australian Credit Card Act, if you pay by your (Australian) credit card & the service is ultimately not provided, you can apply to your financial institution and they are legally bound to reverse the credit card charge. So Aussies who've paid for their tickets by credit card can apply to get their money back from their financial institution. This of course does not help people who have paid for tickets in cash or EFT, nor does it help people who have paid for tickets using non-Australian based credit cards.

Some Australian travel insurance companies will cover the loss as a result of the collapse of an airline & others will not - so check your policy. I know of one company who ceased providing such cover in their policy last Dec. So if issued ahead of this cut off date, people would be covered & if afterwards, then not.

Even if covered, the insurance company will only cover the cost of the actual ticket purchased. By this I mean that if you bought a ticket on Air Oz for $800 but it costs you $1,200 to buy a replacement, you're only covered for the $800 initial loss & not the additional cost of repurchasing. So people need to be careful!

You just put your finger on the pulse. Why do foreign airlines not have the high running costs of an Australian Company. BECAUSE THEIR STAFF ARE REALISTIC! Your Australian unions keep asking for filmstar wages, these days are past. Get real. Just because Australia is in bed with China over mineral weath does not mean it applies to general companies such as airlines. The mineral wealth may keep the Australian Government in funds but the rest of you have to earn it and on wages that can be sustained. Wecome to the real world!

• Like 1

Sad news. What always gets me is it happens overnight-surely for weeks they knew cash was low and they couldn't pay the fuel bill, but probably sold tickets last night.

I really hope the other carriers will step up and offer low rates for these pax who are stranded. I really think any Govt should mandate a fair fare in these extreme times when a carrier goes bust.

Is there any good news coming out of Phuket? We hear of daily jetski extortions, robber taxis, trashed beaches and water, Russian travel agency problems, ....now this airline problem. I stopped going to Phuket years ago for lesser reasons. How about clear all the people out and let it revert to the natural splendour it once was - before people came along to trash it.

This has nothing to do with Phuket. The destination was selected by the airline because it was "hot" and there is a practically insatiable demand for flights. Phuket will not suffer in the long run as the airport is well over capacity. Yes some PAX are screwed, but within a few weeks at the latest, they will be replaced by others being flown by the many airlines that service Phuket. In my case, I pay more and fly on national carriers like TG. Reliability and a national policy that backstops TG is worth my peace of mind. I have used LCCs on short flights where it didn't matter if the flight was cancelled or delayed. I knew the risks and booked. I also accepted those risks. The PAX here made a purchase choice based on the cheapest airfare available. They had other options. No one forced them to use this airline.

Too all the pontificators on here, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I flew Air Australia less than 2 mths ago, and all was fine.

Yes they are a budget carrier, yes my needs were met. I felt like a beer I paid $7, about the same as any pub here.

I felt like a meal $12, and yes it was shit, but I was fed.

I watched pirated movies on my 10" tab like many others around me.

Water and coffee was free.

Thai and Qantas were about double the price of A.A.

I know all the experts here will profess they saw it coming, or I wouldn't take the risk.

Why didn't you have travel insurance etc. budget carriers are cashed, and full of cashed up bogans.

So I do Aud $918 cold, that's it. Yes it hurts, but not as much as my divorce lawyer charged me, that Hurt!

Time to suck it up princess and move on.

Have already booked today on Air Asia,for about $800 return OOL to HKT

I still get to see my girl and I know what awaits me.

The look on my face... Priceless!!licklips.gif

• Like 1

It reflects badly on Australia. The Australian government should bail them out to get all the passengers home and then take possession of the planes.

Have you thought this through? Why is the Australian taxpayer expected to subsidize the passengers that made discretionary spending decisions hat didn't work out as planned? If Jimmy Smith buys a car, and it is a lemon, should the Australian taxpayers buy him a new car?

How do you expect the Australian government to take possession of the airplanes? That would be the equivalent of theft and also the assumption of millions of dollars of expenses. The airline did not own the airplanes, but was leasing them from a leasing company. That company probably hasn't been paid. If the government takes those planes then the leasing company would lose its asset. That leasing company most likely borrowed money from banks, mutual funds and pension funds. If the the leasing company is robbed of its assets it might default on its one lenders. The end result might be problems for the very people who could least afford a loss of their disability and pension payments. The Australian taxpayers do not need the expense of paying fligh crew salaries, insurance, maintenance, fuel and storage of the aircraft.

• Like 2

It reflects badly on Australia. The Australian government should bail them out to get all the passengers home and then take possession of the planes.

So, what do you then suggest they do with the planes? drunk.gif

That's what I was referring to, AA did not own the planes, they were leased.

Maybe you are suggesting the Australian Gov take over the lease payments, I am sure the owners would be happy. Such a generous offer. jerk.gif

If anyone seizes these planes, they will be sued to the high heavens and loose, also face theft charges if the lease payments are behind and the owners wish to take them back .....

Edited by haveaniceday

Quite true, with another local airline turning up the toes in Aust that can only be a good thing for Qantas, one less competitor to worry about. Having said that Qantas is still the worst airline going around when it comes to price, service and the maintenance of the planes (death traps)

You just put your finger on the pulse. Why do foreign airlines not have the high running costs of an Australian Company. BECAUSE THEIR STAFF ARE REALISTIC! Your Australian unions keep asking for filmstar wages, these days are past. Get real. Just because Australia is in bed with China over mineral weath does not mean it applies to general companies such as airlines. The mineral wealth may keep the Australian Government in funds but the rest of you have to earn it and on wages that can be sustained. Wecome to the real world!

Very true , big difference in paying 10K Baht a month for an Asian air hostess or $2500 Aud for an Australian air hostess , 75K baht for an Asian pilot or $10K Aud for an Australian pilot .

Big flight is 12 hostesses and 3 pilots , do the math .

Too all the pontificators on here, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I flew Air Australia less than 2 mths ago, and all was fine.

Yes they are a budget carrier, yes my needs were met. I felt like a beer I paid $7, about the same as any pub here.

I felt like a meal $12, and yes it was shit, but I was fed.

I watched pirated movies on my 10" tab like many others around me.

Water and coffee was free.

Thai and Qantas were about double the price of A.A.

I know all the experts here will profess they saw it coming, or I wouldn't take the risk.

Why didn't you have travel insurance etc. budget carriers are cashed, and full of cashed up bogans.

So I do Aud $918 cold, that's it. Yes it hurts, but not as much as my divorce lawyer charged me, that Hurt!

Time to suck it up princess and move on.

Have already booked today on Air Asia,for about $800 return OOL to HKT

I still get to see my girl and I know what awaits me.

The look on my face... Priceless!!licklips.gif

I hope you used a credit card this time cowboy.gif

• Like 1

No one should travel without travel insurance these days. In my experience, even paying by credit card doesn't ensure any help whatsoever any longer.

As noted above, travel insurance is cheap and affordable and easy to get online in minutes. The good thing about AirAsia too is that they do offer insurance as an option when booking.

It's nice it's an option in case you've purchased it elsewhere, nothing no one hates more than paying double for something.

Be careful of Air Asia's insurer - have you always read the fine print? Here's an example - If I flew to KUL on Thai Air Asia (with insurance), the policy reads that it is only valid for Thai Citizens and residents - ok. But now I take a flight from KUL to HKG.... the insurance now reads as only valid if I am a Malaysian citizen or permanent resident.

Always read the fine print.......

• Like 2

Why would anyone today pay in cash for any major purchase and not a credit card?

Some homeowner rider policies might cover losses such as this.

To save 2%?

I have never come across an airline website that has a credit card surcharge.

And, even if the reasoning were to save 2%, we have a great example here of penny wise, pound foolish.

Also, one is not forced to insure homes and cars and lives for full value and this, too, would save lots of money.

Edited by jshorts

there's something criminal about all this.... leaving thousands stranded and basically stealing their money, time and plans....but let's put another pot dealer in jail instead.

Isn't there always something criminal about any company that goes "belly up" and can't pay its bills?

Yeah the government should definitely pick up the bill to fly the stranded passengers home, as they should pick up the dry cleaning bill when you follow through from a fart.

These are things taxes should be used for. violin.gif

ShanePashen has the right idea, let off some steam then get back on that horse.

• Like 1

Hawian Airlines have offered the stranded passengers flights to Australia at $300 AUD including taxes.

Makes one wonder though.

Air Asia "seems" fine, but haven't they recently announced pulling out of London and Europe?

I believe they're looking at the carbon tax proposed in the EU on all flights, and the rise in UK landing costs has also been extortionate - that starts to force the ticket price up so much that they lose their customer market sweet-spot. No doubt they've been seeing sinking pax load figures and sensibly decided there are routes they could use those planes on with a better return.

Cheers

Makes one wonder though.

Air Asia "seems" fine, but haven't they recently announced pulling out of London and Europe?

I believe they're looking at the carbon tax proposed in the EU on all flights, and the rise in UK landing costs has also been extortionate - that starts to force the ticket price up so much that they lose their customer market sweet-spot. No doubt they've been seeing sinking pax load figures and sensibly decided there are routes they could use those planes on with a better return.

Cheers

Air Asia stopped being competitive some time ago, apart from their rare deals. There are so many 'add on's' now, just like Ryan Air, you are better off flying with the regular airlines. Why would you like long haul with AirAsiaX? it would be like getting a tuk tuk from BKK - HKT!