Australian Age Pension

Thanks kevjohn, i am 10yrs away yet, but i have lost the house my job and i want to get a heads up with what the rules are to make sure i will be armed with the right information, i am on workers compensation at the moment and the way my injury is it looks like it could be permanent, with sever restrictions from my doctor, if i have to live in Aust for 2 years before i am 65yrs i am screwed i wont have anywhere to live.

Cheers

Scoop

Unfortunately I think you're right.

Those who have left Oz in the years leading up to 65 and have come back to claim the payment have generally had much trouble getting it.

To be successful if you are out of country prior, you have to be able to show that in the lead up years whilst you may have been o/s a lot, it must be obvious that basically you were a resident here. Thus with ties of property, family, bank and utility accounts, Medicare etc.

Those with long holidays o/s mounting into several weeks to a few months, still need to be able to display that these were infact holidays.

I thought I was in this category and figured that I could be questioned, so I kept as many things as above here during the few years prior 65.

I was lucky and had no problem.

But, then again even though married to a Thai, we think we'll be mainly here anyway. We have several female Thai friends here in Oz and I'm surprised speaking with them that they would rather settle here than in Thailand. Even though general settled jobs are difficult for them to get here (like everyone else) they join up with some of these agencies catering for the day to day needs of casual factories, assembly lines etc. and at near $20 per hour they are over the moon! It would take them more than a month or two to earn what some of them do here in a week often with O/T.

As much as the very settled Farang in Thailand who have been there many years and enjoying the lifestyle and costs, there is evidence often aired on these threads that "we are not really welcome" is a real and growing fact..................Tourists, no promplem, but to live amongst them, often displaying means that they will never be able to achieve, is a problem which is becoming much more apparent. There are many Farang living very sucessfully in and around Thais in villages and city's, that's fine and good luck to them. However the pure weight of the huge population of Thailand is generally not sabai with this.

As much as I may be challenged on this view, let me say that I'm sure that I can come back to this thread in years to come and say "I told you so"!

Hope this helps, I've been travelling mainly but also living in Thailand since 1975, long before foreigners on mass climbed aboard aircraft to participate in the smiles.

Then again, I really love our extended holidays there, another coming up soon.