Panthip Old Used Computers

Gobbledoc

Had a couple of comps die recently, they had a good life !!!!

Buying a new one for wifie is not to hard, but I would like to pick up some used low power ones for the kids to destroy.

Even desktops are ok, plenty of screens left over. The kids don't do much except play games, I don't want a gaming machine, just those crappy games online. They tent to be really good at changing settings though and downloading bugs !!!

I remember seeing a bunch of used comps in Phantip, I am not near there, does anyone remember very roughly what you get in the box for how much these days?

There is a large used computer seller in Pantip on the Mezzanine level, left side as you enter. There also some on the 3rd and 4th level, rear.

For B3500-5000 you can pick up a P4, 512-1g. ram, 80G hd, Sometimes "read only" DVD and often lousy sound cards. There is usually a wide variety to chose from. Often they will throw in a used monitor and keyboard as part of the deal... You can bargain! They will also usually load the machine with a windows copy and whatever applications you want.

Several good used shops in Fortune Tower (Rama-9 MRT) as well on the 3rd and 4th level.

Edited by dddave

There is a large used computer seller in Pantip on the Mezzanine level, left side as you enter. There also some on the 3rd and 4th level, rear.

For B3500-5000 you can pick up a P4, 512-1g. ram, 80G hd, Sometimes "read only" DVD and often lousy sound cards. There is usually a wide variety to chose from. Often they will throw in a used monitor and keyboard as part of the deal... You can bargain! They will also usually load the machine with a windows copy and whatever applications you want.

Several good used shops in Fortune Tower (Rama-9 MRT) as well on the 3rd and 4th level.

for 6.5k you can have a brand new unit wich is 5 times more powerfull than these old P4, 1500 baht is the maximum you should pay for an old P4 unit.

The big computer store on the top floor of pantip often has superceded netbooks going cheaply. A while ago I saw a Lenovo branded for 7500 baht. No operating system but you can add Windows Starter for 1500 baht, okay for everyday e-mail and internet use. You have some spare screens so simple to hook up a large screen and regular keyboard.

If you know a little about computers then take a look in Tesco or BigC. You will often find them clearing out models with a scratched case or some other defect for well under 10k. it will be faster than any 5 year old computer, better to go down that path instead of buying some old Pentium, at least you get a decent guarantee. The older gear normally only comes with a 90 day warranty. A lot of the old used computers will have trouble running Win 7 due to a low level of RAM and old computers can be expensive to upgrade memory. I used to go down the upgrade path myself but it's rarely worth it when you do the math as new parts and computers have become so cheap.

Zeer Rangsit isn't a shop but an IT complex like Pantip, it's out past the old airport in the same building as the Asia Airport Hotel. There are shops with old refurb computers on the top floors. They can be cheap so long as you are aware the warranty is short and you may have problems running Windows 7. I'd be buying something new and cheap instead. I have a 6 year old Pentium I donated upcountry I sometimes have to use when I visit and I hate using it as everything runs so slowly compared to any modern budget computer.

Edited by kkerry

Would you say that Zeer is a good alternative to Pranthip?

I'm going to be in Bangkok in a few weeks shopping for a new external drive, and a few other things.

Looks like a pain in the arse to get there from central Bangkok.

IMHO. Yes, it's worth the minor inconvenience to get there, even if just for hassle free shopping, opens at 10.30AM but not worth going before 11.

MRT to Bang Sue.

SRT to Rangsit.

Taxi or motocy to Zeer.

Or get a taxi from Mo Chit BTS. (get him to let you out at the foot bridge opposite, it's a long way to the U turn).

IMHO. Yes, it's worth the minor inconvenience to get there, even if just for hassle free shopping, opens at 10.30AM but not worth going before 11.

MRT to Bang Sue.

SRT to Rangsit.

Taxi or motocy to Zeer.

Or get a taxi from Mo Chit BTS. (get him to let you out at the foot bridge opposite, it's a long way to the U turn).

I'm going to Immigration at Chang Wattana next week. About how much of a taxi ride from there?