Australian Tourist Visa Application

On 3/16/2020 at 7:49 AM, pdtokyo said:

you are correct that anyone 'heavily' assisting an applicant should be very careful not to represent themselves as an agent and should not fill out the optional Form 956

The law is very clear its anyone providing assistance, 'heavily' doesn't factor into it.

Although you mostly likely won't be prosecuted for it unless your charging or receiving a reward.  

In my case, and others who have DM'd, the simplest solution is to password-share the IMMI account.

Be aware they log ip addresses.

As far as i can see, there is no IMMI rule against this beyond the generic warnings about revealing passwords

That is correct, the offence is providing immigration assistance its covered by sect 276 of the MIGRATION ACT 1958 

MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 276
Immigration assistance

(1)  For the purposes of this Part, a person gives immigration assistance if the person uses, or purports to use, knowledge of, or experience in, migration procedure to assist a visa applicant or cancellation review applicant by:

(a)  preparing, or helping to prepare, the visa application or cancellation review application; or

(b)  advising the visa applicant or cancellation review applicant about the visa application or cancellation review application; or

(c)  preparing for proceedings before a court or review authority in relation to the visa application or cancellation review application; or

(d)  representing the visa applicant or cancellation review applicant in proceedings before a court or review authority in relation to the visa application or cancellation review application.

(2)  For the purposes of this Part, a person also gives immigration assistance if the person uses, or purports to use, knowledge of, or experience in, migration procedure to assist another person by:

(a)  preparing, or helping to prepare, a document indicating that the other person nominates or sponsors a visa applicant for the purposes of the regulations; or

(b)  advising the other person about nominating or sponsoring a visa applicant for the purposes of the regulations; or

(c)  representing the other person in proceedings before a court or review authority that relate to the visa for which the other person was nominating or sponsoring a visa applicant (or seeking to nominate or sponsor a visa applicant) for the purposes of the regulations.

(2A)  For the purposes of this Part, a person also gives immigration assistance if the person uses, or purports to use, knowledge of, or experience in, migration procedure to assist another person by:

(a)  preparing, or helping to prepare, a request to the Minister to exercise his or her power under section 351, 417 or 501J in respect of a decision (whether or not the decision relates to the other person); or

(aa)  preparing, or helping to prepare, a request to the Minister to exercise a power under section 195A, 197AB or 197AD (whether or not the exercise of the power would relate to the other person); or

(b)  advising the other person about making a request referred to in paragraph (a) or (aa).

(3)  Despite subsections (1), (2) and (2A), a person does not give immigration assistance if he or she merely:

(a)  does clerical work to prepare (or help prepare) an application or other document; or

(b)  provides translation or interpretation services to help prepare an application or other document; or

(c)  advises another person that the other person must apply for a visa; or

(d)  passes on to another person information produced by a third person, without giving substantial comment on or explanation of the information.

(4)  A person also does not give immigration assistance in the circumstances prescribed by the regulations.

The exception to this is if the person giving the immigration assistance is outside Australia. 

Edited by PhanomR

• 2 weeks later...

Pffff this Corona <deleted> is ruining so many things and in the larger context I realize that the following is not that important but I just needed to voice the frustration anyway:

Had to send back the GF a lot sooner than expected as she was scared she would not be able to get back to Thailand. We just got her on the last Jetstar flight back in the nick of time on the 24th. I originally thought of keeping her here until mid April but booked the 31st of March once corona started to become more of a reality and then moved it up to the 24th once the flight on the 31st got scrapped.

If we hadn't done that then she would have been stuck here indefinitely with the likelihood of her overstaying becoming very real. I would've welcomed that as I wouldn't have minded being stuck with her and I would assume that the government would be more forgiving wrt overstaying in the current climate.

But, understandably, she wanted to be close to her loved ones during this crisis and while I believe she would be a lot safer here (especially considering that I had her covered with health insurance) I didn't want to stand in her way of returning (while secretly hoping that the flight on the 24th would also get canceled ????)

It looks like it'll be at least 6 months now before she'll be able to come back (and with the potential for a 2 week quarantine being required it won't be fun either) so that means the first year of the visa will be eaten up for the majority by Corona. Luckily I got the 3 year one, I'd hate to think that I would've gotten a visa for just a year and than lost the opportunity to use half of it.

Now just sitting here hoping the situation in Thailand doesn't escalate to the point where I regret my decision in letting her go and that I don't lose my job so that I still have the necessary funds to actually bring her back...

• Like 1

My wife is currently over here on a tourist visa and her visa runs out 4th may, It is multi entry as she was granted 3 years.

She has no way of leaving before that date as we cannot get a flight out now, What are her visa options to stay longer, I have read all the information on the immigration website seems they are leading her to apply for another tourist visa and $365 in their pockets seems a tad unfair to me.

is there another visa she can do? i know partner visa but funds are tight right now and only just over 4 weeks until her visa runs out time is short.

kind regards for any help. nev

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:25 AM, nev said:

My wife is currently over here on a tourist visa and her visa runs out 4th may, It is multi entry as she was granted 3 years.

She has no way of leaving before that date as we cannot get a flight out now, What are her visa options to stay longer, I have read all the information on the immigration website seems they are leading her to apply for another tourist visa and $365 in their pockets seems a tad unfair to me.

is there another visa she can do? i know partner visa but funds are tight right now and only just over 4 weeks until her visa runs out time is short.

kind regards for any help. nev

TBF Nev, you had the chance to fly her home earlier as Blind Freddie could see what was going on.

You're quite lucky she doesn't have 8503 condition on her visa and can apply for another one.

Just apply for another tourist visa.

• Like 1

It's interesting how things turn out in life. As I posted here some weeks ago, we had a horrible experience with a very nasty immigration officer at Perth airport and due to his threats of cancelling my TGF's 3-year multi-entry visa if she tried to re-enter Australia after our 10 day holiday in Lombok, I bought her a ticket Lombok to BKK, then I flew back to Perth alone, sold my car, locked up my apartment, and 2 weeks later rejoined tirak in Thailand, where we are currently together on her farm in rural Korat.

Now, in hindsight, it seems that as#&%@ imm officer actually did us a good turn. Had we not run into him, we would have returned to Perth together, 6 weeks ago, and we'll still be in Perth. Now all foreigners on visitor visas are being told to return to their own countries. My TGF would use the return ticket I purchased for her last year to return to Thailand this coming May. BUT I would not be allowed to go with her, and Thailand wouldn't allow me to enter. So that means we would be separated for God knows how long, and I'd be locked down in Perth alone, and with winter approaching. 

So due to running into that nasty Imm officer we both got back to Thailand before all the travel bans and lock downs. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2020 at 4:30 PM, TSF said:

o due to running into that nasty Imm officer we both got back to Thailand before all the travel bans and lock downs. 

Get some perspective, your girlfriend was abusing the tourist visa system. The immigration officer was doing their job.

Nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TSF said:

God damn fool. What's the point of a multi-entry visa if you can't use it to make multi entries??? Anyway it's all water under the bridge now. 

Glad things worked out for you mate.

FWIW, I reckon you got an overzealous officer who was having a bad day.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 4:30 PM, TSF said:

My TGF would use the return ticket I purchased for her last year to return to Thailand this coming May.

Thai has announced no Oz - Thailand flights until at least 1 July. Assume applies to other airlines?

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 12:51 PM, TSF said:

God damn fool. What's the point of a multi-entry visa if you can't use it to make multi entries??? Anyway it's all water under the bridge now. 

It allows multiple entries for a genuine tourist, in immigrations opinion your girlfriend isn't a genuine tourist. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Has anyone had recent experience getting an Australian visitor visa?

Have not seen my TGF in over a year and I am thinking of helping her get a visa now so that she can travel here in Sydney once the international borders open up again.

Any updates on wether Immi are processing visitor visas?

13 hours ago, Frankie072 said:

Has anyone had recent experience getting an Australian visitor visa?

Have not seen my TGF in over a year and I am thinking of helping her get a visa now so that she can travel here in Sydney once the international borders open up again.

Any updates on wether Immi are processing visitor visas?

Not granting visas unless she qualifies for an exemption which I doubt she does.

Maybe check back in 6 months I reckon.

6 hours ago, Will27 said:

Not granting visas unless she qualifies for an exemption which I doubt she does.

Maybe check back in 6 months I reckon.

I applied Feb 2020

Still no reply 

Medicals & biometrics validity about to run out (good for 12 mths )

So got Son Citizenship

But have to get wife another TV with Exemption 

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Same also. Girlfriend applied a few days ago, I'm taking her for Biometrics and medical next week. I'd also love to know about people's recent experiences regarding the processing times?

One other question : will VFS Global retain her Thai Passport at the Biometrics appointment?.

Obviously we do not want her being without her passport for possibly months on end.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I am a bit confused, there used to be, (many moons ago) lots of info on the VFS site, not now.  You used to walk in to VFS with page after page filled out, I see no reference to it on the link below. Looks like VFS is a biometric collection place now, is that all they do?  On the link below, no info re tourist visa for a Thai to Oz.  So what do they do, where to start?

On the VFS site, they have "BUY SERVICES" and for 480baht Online Visa Services, which they describe below in this post, (for reference for people reading this years later !)

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/aus/apply-visa

Do Thai need a medical to go to Oz for a tourist visa now ? Insurance I get, but a medical for tourist? (Surely that a misinterpretation of what I read).

Thanks, where does one start?

"VFS Global’s Online Visa Assist service provides you expert, personalised assistance with completing, submitting and paying for your online application at the Biometric Collection Centre, all at one go! This service includes assistance with scanning and uploading all supporting documents. You can also enjoy the exclusive benefit of staying updated on the status of your application through the online portal from the comfort of your home.

Online Visa Assist service is available for a fee (per application) and will include upload of any subsequent documents as per the request of the Australian High Commission/Embassy only.

Please note, applicants are requested to carry their International Debit/Credit Card as visa fee payments for online applications can only be made in Australian Dollars."

On 2/17/2022 at 6:02 PM, Chao Lao Beach said:

Hi folks, I am a bit confused, there used to be, (many moons ago) lots of info on the VFS site, not now.  You used to walk in to VFS with page after page filled out, I see no reference to it on the link below. Looks like VFS is a biometric collection place now, is that all they do?  On the link below, no info re tourist visa for a Thai to Oz.  So what do they do, where to start?

On the VFS site, they have "BUY SERVICES" and for 480baht Online Visa Services, which they describe below in this post, (for reference for people reading this years later !)

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/aus/apply-visa

Do Thai need a medical to go to Oz for a tourist visa now ? Insurance I get, but a medical for tourist? (Surely that a misinterpretation of what I read).

Thanks, where does one start?

"VFS Global’s Online Visa Assist service provides you expert, personalised assistance with completing, submitting and paying for your online application at the Biometric Collection Centre, all at one go! This service includes assistance with scanning and uploading all supporting documents. You can also enjoy the exclusive benefit of staying updated on the status of your application through the online portal from the comfort of your home.

Online Visa Assist service is available for a fee (per application) and will include upload of any subsequent documents as per the request of the Australian High Commission/Embassy only.

Please note, applicants are requested to carry their International Debit/Credit Card as visa fee payments for online applications can only be made in Australian Dollars."

As far as i can gather fron SIL recently applying.

Her boyfriend filled in the online tourist visa application off the Australian embassy website.

Once documentation was complete she was told to forward info to VFS for appointments.

She was sent to AEK hospital in Udon Thani(lives in Khon Kaen) for medical and next week goes to Bangkok for the biometrics.

Whether there is an interview involved i'm not sure.

One thing that surprised me was when i had a quick read i thought it said biometrics to be done within 14 days of being notified but her appointment was given for 28 days later.

Seems that way. Taking my gf for medical in BKK tomorrow, 4,000 baht, medical & chest x-ray. Applying for subclass 600 tourist visa, first time applicant.

VFS is the agency appointed to process applications, collect documents, paper or online, collect fingerprints, take photo.

Whether they ultimately decide on the decision to grant, I do not know.

17 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

Seems that way. Taking my gf for medical in BKK tomorrow, 4,000 baht, medical & chest x-ray. Applying for subclass 600 tourist visa, first time applicant.

VFS is the agency appointed to process applications, collect documents, paper or online, collect fingerprints, take photo.

Whether they ultimately decide on the decision to grant, I do not know.

Decision is made by a Thai at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. Nobody retains her PP, no visa is stamped in her PP, if visa is approved it's all online in their system, but she will be sent some documents giving all the visa details and conditions.

• Thanks 1

Submitted a Class 600 visa application in November for wife to visit Australia. She did the medical and biometrics at VFS Bangkok in December and then submitted all the information.

Then after Xmas we found out that you also need the pre-approval for the double Covid Vaccine. At that time this requirement wasn't on the Australian visa site and so we missed submitting it. Wife did that documentation in double quick time and that information was added to the application mid January.

Fearing that the application had been put into the non-vaccinated pile. I did a manual submission of "Change of Circumstances" by 22nd January, advising them this document has been added.

So far we have heard nothing, and the wife is past the upset stage now.

My wife has had a two similar visa applications approved in the past very quickly and so is very frustrating that this has taken so long and  there is no mechanism to follow up with the visa dept.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, markeewan said:

Submitted a Class 600 visa application in November for wife to visit Australia. She did the medical and biometrics at VFS Bangkok in December and then submitted all the information.

Then after Xmas we found out that you also need the pre-approval for the double Covid Vaccine. At that time this requirement wasn't on the Australian visa site and so we missed submitting it. Wife did that documentation in double quick time and that information was added to the application mid January.

Fearing that the application had been put into the non-vaccinated pile. I did a manual submission of "Change of Circumstances" by 22nd January, advising them this document has been added.

So far we have heard nothing, and the wife is past the upset stage now.

My wife has had a two similar visa applications approved in the past very quickly and so is very frustrating that this has taken so long and  there is no mechanism to follow up with the visa dept.

Guess what....Visa approved today, multiple entry of upto 3 months for three years.

Happy wife, happy life.

• Like 2

Lady cow and princess cow will be arriving in Australia shortly. They need a PCR test within 72 hours of traveling. I am told the price for the PCR test and certificate from a private hospital is 4,000 baht each. Does anyone know if that is standard price around Bangkok private hospitals or is it just because they require a certificate with the test for overseas travel? Any help would be appreciated.

Just a quick update, as it may be helpful to others.

Received my GF's grant notification this morning Class 600 visitor visa. So exactly 2 months, submission to approval ????

We were delighted and amazed that she has been granted a Multiple Entry, maximum 3 month stay per visit. But the great thing is that the last date of admission is March 2025, so 3 years!

Does that mean that if she were to enter in Feb 25, she could stay until May 25? Does anyone know?

Also, I assume that if we wanted to stay longer than 3 months, we could perhaps take a 7 day cruise to Fiji or somewhere, then re enter for another 3 months. Has anyone done that,

Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:47 PM, Chill27 said:

Just a quick update, as it may be helpful to others.

Received my GF's grant notification this morning Class 600 visitor visa. So exactly 2 months, submission to approval ????

We were delighted and amazed that she has been granted a Multiple Entry, maximum 3 month stay per visit. But the great thing is that the last date of admission is March 2025, so 3 years!

Does that mean that if she were to enter in Feb 25, she could stay until May 25? Does anyone know?

Also, I assume that if we wanted to stay longer than 3 months, we could perhaps take a 7 day cruise to Fiji or somewhere, then re enter for another 3 months. Has anyone done that,

Thanks

Yep, as long as she enters before the visa ceases, she can stay for 3 months.

Be careful doing visa bounces as Immigration aren't that fond of it.

The visa is intended for visiting, not living in Australia.

Probably get away with doing it once but she might get chatted by Immigration when she returns.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

An Ausy friend thought he was going to fly into BKK in early May, flight booked, meet his Thai GF (45) at swampy, go to Aus Embassy to get her a visa and take her back to Aus for a holiday.

I have no idea how the Aus visa system works, or how long one has to wait for the visa. Talking on Messenger has been difficult to get through to the bloke that it may not be that easy, he is 74, she has no money or assets, but I am trying to help the bloke out.

So, can someone point out the basic procedures and timescales, so I can try and explain stuff.

Thanks in advance..????

18 hours ago, transam said:

An Ausy friend thought he was going to fly into BKK in early May, flight booked, meet his Thai GF (45) at swampy, go to Aus Embassy to get her a visa and take her back to Aus for a holiday.

I have no idea how the Aus visa system works, or how long one has to wait for the visa. Talking on Messenger has been difficult to get through to the bloke that it may not be that easy, he is 74, she has no money or assets, but I am trying to help the bloke out.

So, can someone point out the basic procedures and timescales, so I can try and explain stuff.

Thanks in advance..????

Here's a few links to start with.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Visas_and_Migration.html

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#Overview

Covid has blown out processing times to around 3 months for a visitor visa.

That's just a guide.

It can be a lot quicker or slower.

The main thing Immigration look for is a reason for her to go back to Thailand.

Things like a job, family ties etc.

It's not a hard application, but from what you've said, it would probably be a lot easier for him to use an Agent.

• Like 1