Why Do I Live In Thailand?/Why Do I Not Live In My Birth Country?

BoonToong

You see.......this forum is being over-run by disgruntled British ex-pats, it's getting to the point that every other thread is being hijacked with people like you that can't just celebrate your life in Thailand, you have too look over your shoulder and sneer.

Ummm you do realize you are replying to the OP who in fact did make a nice OP on why he celebrates his life in Thailand?

You will have noticed that the OP wasn't content to just sing the praises of Thailand.......he had to poison the Well by looking over his shoulder and sneering.

Your not daft Flying.......I'm right and it is right below your nose.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see.......this forum is being over-run by disgruntled British ex-pats, it's getting to the point that every other thread is being hijacked with people like you that can't just celebrate your life in Thailand, you have too look over your shoulder and sneer.

Ummm you do realize you are replying to the OP who in fact did make a nice OP on why he celebrates his life in Thailand?

You will have noticed that the OP wasn't content to just sing the praises of Thailand.......he had to poison the Well by looking over his shoulder and sneering.

Although the OP started off noting that he liked Thailand, he then went on to denigrate his "own" country; personally, if its his country, he's let it get into a poor state, which doesn't say much about the man, and he doesn't seem to be taking much action to fix it...

Instead, he asks:

"Anyone else got any good reasons why they are glad they are not in their 'own' country? (Political asylum seekers need not reply)".

although the thread title refers to country of birth, rather than country of nationality or domicile. As the third generation in a four-generation family of expats, I am conscious of the difference... (to be fair, that (four generations) depends on which leg of the tree you go up...).

I'm not sure why he thinks the opinions of political asylum seekers lack merit, but it may be for their predictability - "I am seeking political asylum, and I am glad to be here because the weather in Iran is dreadful. Oh - no it's not, it's because I am a victim of political persecution"

SC

Although the OP started off noting that he liked Thailand, he then went on to denigrate his "own" country; personally, if its his country, he's let it get into a poor state, which doesn't say much about the man, and he doesn't seem to be taking much action to fix it...

Instead, he asks:

"Anyone else got any good reasons why they are glad they are not in their 'own' country? (Political asylum seekers need not reply)".

although the thread title refers to country of birth, rather than country of nationality or domicile. As the third generation in a four-generation family of expats, I am conscious of the difference... (to be fair, that (four generations) depends on which leg of the tree you go up...).

I'm not sure why he thinks the opinions of political asylum seekers lack merit, but it may be for their predictability - "I am seeking political asylum, and I am glad to be here because the weather in Iran is dreadful. Oh - no it's not, it's because I am a victim of political persecution"

SC

Correct..........I would happily join into a thread which asks why I like Thailand......I object to every thread being hijacked.

It is a simple thing for me, I like it here. Maybe one of the main things is that I absolutely hate cold weather and the only place I want to see ice is in my glass.

Funny. The dreadful heat is probably the one aspect of this country I find truly unbearable. Give me a snow shovel any day over the oppressing furnace this country is located inside.

On balance I guess I can say I like it here more than the states, but the weather is a huge negative. After nearly 15 years of being here, the one thing I truly miss is the snow. If it weren't for my job I doubt I would remain.

I despise the hot season, but love the cool season and the rainy season is not bad. I much rather live here than pretty much anywhere else and have no interest in snow for more than a few days every ten years or so.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I despise the hot season, but love the cool season and the rainy season is not bad. I much rather live here than pretty much anywhere else and have no interest in snow for more than a few days every ten years or so.

My good friends live in the mountains of California. I was there a few winters ago and one of the neighbors threw a party...in January...outside! It was snowing like mad. They had lawn chairs and just put blankets over them. It was tough, but we got through it. And eventually we moved inside with the nice, warm fire. But the locals there love their winters.

I'm like you, UG...snow is best seen on TV!! As for the heat here. Yes, it can be tough. I just move inside and turn on the AC. Problem solved...until I venture out. sad.png

My good friends live in the mountains of California. I was there a few winters ago and one of the neighbors threw a party...in January...outside! It was snowing like mad. They had lawn chairs and just put blankets over them. It was tough, but we got through it. And eventually we moved inside with the nice, warm fire. But the locals there love their winters.

They sit on ice on a frozen lake, fishing. They dress like the Michelin Man - all puffy in heavy insulated garments - so they can 'snow mobile' on the white stuff. They ice skate, they ski, they do all kinds of weird shit just so they can do something outdoors in the cold of winter. You either live with it, or you hate it. So the weird ones in California have a picnic outdoors in winter, just so they can say they did it, not so much that they like it. They also smoke a lot of weed in California. Sure helps me tolerate the unpleasant.

Come on guys fess up,

We are all here because we enjoy sex with much younger women persons (edited for gay guys).

No other reason, just a lot of old guys trying to hide what they are really here for.

Not really. I was pushed into BKK during the floods, but I have a nice apartment with a kitchen and a good view for 10,000 baht, plus electricity. I have friends that live nearby in basic, but new, buildings that pay around 4,000 baht per month. I can walk down to the soi and buy Kao Swai for 10 baht, then get some pork, green onions, garlic, etc for not much money, either. Lot of trees around and smiling people. Cost 15 baht to take a moto-ci down to the big market.

I had to use the medical system here a few times this last year, and it is excellent. The cost of my medical insuance with BUPA has been paid back several times over - and the medical care here is excellent. If I ever end up just relying on my social security when I get older, it would be rough, but I could probably make it here in Thailand, living pretty comfortably. I think I will get a massage today for 150 Baht. Wonder how much they cost in the US and UK these days?

Perhaps my view has something to do with it.

Evening%2520Sky%2520%2520002.jpg

a picture is worth a thousand words

You can see this every hour, every day, every year - for the rest of your life.

Bored shitless IMHO !!!!!

Then again it changes every hour, of every day, of every year. Like watching a movie for those who have the eyes to see.smile.png
  • Like 2

They sit on ice on a frozen lake, fishing. They dress like the Michelin Man - all puffy in heavy insulated garments - so they can 'snow mobile' on the white stuff. They ice skate, they ski, they do all kinds of weird shit just so they can do something outdoors in the cold of winter. You either live with it, or you hate it. So the weird ones in California have a picnic outdoors in winter, just so they can say they did it, not so much that they like it. They also smoke a lot of weed in California. Sure helps me tolerate the unpleasant.

I take it you mean Northern California, going up into Oregon, which is spectacularly beautiful - to be fair, I didn't cover the whole state, I just went up the interstate and back down the coast road. My friends in LA and San Diego tell me they have a very pleasant and consistent climate.... Then, if they fancy a bit of skiing, I'm told they can go up to Yosemite or somewhere. I can see why they choose to live there rather than their own countries...

Also, like myself, their jobs... hence I am here and they are there

SC

Beer?

Yes, please.

Leo.

Does anybody know what is the most-sold beer here in Thailand for Farangs? Out here, it seems like it's Chang.

When I'm in town, I see lots of Heinekin. Just curious...

Great photo, Infamous Village Blogger, thanks.

Where I am (up-country) it always used t be Carlsberg until the pull-out, and most turned to Heineken. Chang was drunk mostly by people wh were living more remotely than the others, likely through the price and it being the drink of choice with the locals. Singha was drunk mostly by newbies wanting to be Thai.

However, over the last few years I think without doubt it would have to be Leo that is the beer of choice followed by Heineken. Will be interesting to see if Carlsberg regains its status now that it is back; we still don't have a proper distributer for it up here in Phitsanulok yet.

Thailand has Nice weather, beautiful women, wonderful food, more freedom then in the west, beautiful nature, not too many rules and regulations, relaxed pace of life and I could go on an on.

Life in the west sucks big time as we all know.

Of course Thailand has its areas that have room for improvement but the plusses outweigh the minuses by far !!!

Have been here for 18 years and still love it !!!

• Like 1

However, over the last few years I think without doubt it would have to be Leo that is the beer of choice followed by Heineken. Will be interesting to see if Carlsberg regains its status now that it is back; we still don't have a proper distributer for it up here in Phitsanulok yet.

Thanks, Chrisinth. There's lots of articles out their on Thai beer. Here's one that's pretty interesting: http://www.knowphuke...2-thai-beer.htm .

After reading some of these, I think I'm going to give Leo a try.

Edited by AlongtheChaoPraya

Perhaps my view has something to do with it.

Evening%2520Sky%2520%2520002.jpg

Yep, nice view - I lived 12 years in Chiang Mai and Korat, but still came back to the UK to make a new life for my Thai wife and our kids ... this is the view from the back of where I live now ...

419808_10150637888924511_635379510_8898071_1629518636_n.jpg

The advantage this view has over Thailand, is that it changes with the four seasons, and changes daily with every subtlety of sun and cloud movement - it's not in a permanent verdant green monocolour. Plus, when haze is zero, visibility is around 50 miles from our elevation, which is around half of the time. The fields are used for grazing a variety of animals (sheep, cattle, goats, etc.) and when empty, the locals exercise their dogs on them.

You don't need to be in Thailand for stunning scenery - you just need to open your eyes wherever you are.

• Like 1

Come on, you know you are in a very small minority.

Same here . . . women never really featured in my decision to set up camp here. It's great if you just want to get laid but I got bored of gratuitous sex with a multitude of different women here within 6 months.

Nah, for me it's the cheap cost of living, the food and the fact that no one really bothers me.