UN calls on Israel to release Palestinian prisoner on hunger strike

News_Editor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you are strict western or Euro centric.

But we are in Thailand, in an expat forum and not on a Purim party in Brooklyn.

Its Al-Quds for the vast majority of people in the region and surrounding nations. That is the story.

Why not stick to that name or give it at least an equal value to your choice to call this Asian city Jerusalem.

To have an open mind and respect other cultures is not tedious but an amazing chance to learn something and to deal in peace with each other.

How about this, then, mate?

Start a post on the support forum or PM a mod and suggest making it a policy to use Arabic names for cities in the Middle East instead of the more international standard names, that, yes, most of us do know? See how that goes, Kay?

Most people on this board won't recognize al-Quds. He speaks of Jerusalem.

Most, if not all, of the regulars on these threads know Al-Quds.

You forget most people reading the forum NEVER post and are not even members. Again, this is an ENGLISH LANGUAGE forum and English language standards prevail. Hint -- what do we call Bangkok here? Again, duh!

Apparently, that is just an allegation as this person is being held without charges.

Being a member of a terrorist organization is sufficient cause in it's own right.

As Pakboong pointed out......an allegation

So are you down with that then?

If someone claims you or yours is a member of some group your ok

with being held?

• Like 1

"A leader in the Islamic Jihad".

No sympathy for this violent terrorist.

Apparently, that is just an allegation as this person is being held without charges.

Being a member of a terrorist organization is sufficient cause in it's own right.

Only if it is not an alleged member of a terrorist group. Otherwise, it would be very easy to call everybody on the other side of the fence, terrorists. Even if they have no means of escape other than suicide. It is the charges that make this matter unusual not the fact that he is considered a terrorist.

As Pakboong pointed out......an allegation

So are you down with that then?

If someone claims you or yours is a member of some group your ok

with being held?

If you are suspected of committing a crime you can be detained for a period without charges being brought, especially in cases of individuals who pose a danger to civilians if released. This detention is always finite, but does not march to the schedule that appologistas would sometimes like, but provided no evidence of a crime is found by Apr 17 he will be released.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9095823/Palestinian-Khader-Adnan-ends-record-66-day-hunger-strike-as-Israel-agrees-to-set-him-free.html

Palestinian prisoner Khader Adnan has ended his 66-day hunger strike, the longest carried out by any Palestinian prisoner, after Israel agreed to set him free on April 17.

If you are suspected of committing a crime you can be detained for a period without charges being brought, especially in cases of individuals who pose a danger to civilians if released. This detention is always finite, but does not march to the schedule that appologistas would sometimes like, but provided no evidence of a crime is found by Apr 17 he will be released.

He is the lucky one then......Because under US new rules aka: Patriot act <sic>/National State Of Emergency no limit ,no Habeas Corpus.

The Hotel Gitmo...

Wonderful wishes for the Palestinian nationalist movement:

1. Give up antisemitism; it may have been in the roots of the movement but it doesn't have to be destiny

2. Give up the idea of unconditional right of return (you can't get everything you dream of)

3. Embrace the idea of the two state solution (so much better than no state)

4. Accept the existence of the Jewish state of Israel (who knows, in peace time they may be wonderful partners, they already love falafel)

5. Forget violent resistance. Embrace non-violent resistance.

6. Prepare to celebrate a fully official new state of Palestine within a year

you are so funny sometimes, i laughed so hard i nearly swallowed my tongue cheesy.gif anything else you would like, what if they killed every new born son for a year?

Edited by Rusty2009

1. Give up antisemitism; it may have been in the roots of the movement but it doesn't have to be destiny

2. Give up the idea of unconditional right of return (you can't get everything you dream of)

4. Accept the existence of the Jewish state of Israel (who knows, in peace time they may be wonderful partners, they already love falafel)

you are so funny sometimes, i laughed so hard i nearly swallowed my tongue cheesy.gif anything else you would like, what if they killed every new born son for a year?

Your reference to the killing of the first born by extension compares Jing's list to the plagues God inflicted on the Egyptians. It is quite funny if you consider for instance giving up violence or accept your neighbors existence is similar punishment to the biblical plagues.

Sadly this appears to be the case with the Palestinians making your amusement tragi-comic in it's own right.

• Like 1

Your reference to the killing of the first born by extension compares Jing's list to the plagues God inflicted on the Egyptians. It is quite funny if you consider for instance giving up violence or accept your neighbors existence is similar punishment to the biblical plagues.

Sadly this appears to be the case with the Palestinians making your amusement tragi-comic in it's own right.

yes it was meant as a payment offering to bow down and pay sacrifice to their masters

Is that the new Israel demonization talking point, that Jews are keeping Arabs as slaves? Interesting.coffee1.gif

Maybe not as slaves more as inmates

So what percentage of Palestinian residents of Gaza and the west bank are incarcerated in Israeli prisons? Surely it can't be higher than the incarceration rate in the U.S., not that anyone would want to model after that. Edited by Jingthing

Is that the new Israel demonization talking point, that Jews are keeping Arabs as slaves? Interesting.coffee1.gif

So what percentage of Palestinian residents of Gaza and the west bank are incarcerated in Israeli prisons? Surely it can't be higher than the incarceration rate in the U.S., not that anyone would want to model after that.

so you do not see the Ghetto called Gaza city as a prison

So what percentage of Palestinian residents of Gaza and the west bank are incarcerated in Israeli prisons? Surely it can't be higher than the incarceration rate in the U.S., not that anyone would want to model after that.

so you do not see the Ghetto called Gaza city as a prison

Can of worms, but good rhetoric. Obviously it is both not literally a prison, but certainly not even close to an ideal situation. Also, their elected government, terrorist Hamas, hardly the ideal leadership for them either. Yes, not all the world labels Hamas as terrorist but my government does, and I agree with them on that. Edited by Jingthing

Personally i see anything surrounded by high walls barbed wire, guns, dogs and soldiers or police, and limits the free movment of human beings as a prison, but thats my own personal view sorry wai.gif

You think they should be able to pass into Israel or Egypt without legally crossing a border? Its a tough neighborhood. BTW, speaking of the west bank wall(s) most Israelis are happy the walls were built because terrorist suicide bombings have dropped dramatically, largely attributable to the wall.

Anyway, I think Palestine would have been a prosperous nation DECADES ago if their leadership had embraced NON-VIOLENT resistance.

Edited by Jingthing

Personally i see anything surrounded by high walls barbed wire, guns, dogs and soldiers or police, and limits the free movment of human beings as a prison, but thats my own personal view sorry wai.gif

You think they should be able to pass into Israel or Egypt without legally crossing a border? Its a tough neighborhood. BTW, speaking of the west bank wall(s) most Israelis are happy the walls were built because terrorist suicide bombings have dropped dramatically, largely attributable to the wall.

Like you have said " a can of worms " my friend, lets just agree to disagree on this topic, before the radicals jump on our backs again, and use this as a slagging match

I didn't say that. Negotiations should happen, two way street. But peace is very hard when one side demands it all and uses genocidal rhetoric, like Hamas.

indeed, but all i was originally asking for in the very first post is the things that israel could also do, that's all.

i'm neither anti-israel or anti-palestine, i do think a fair two state solution is the only possible solution.

An one state solution would be much better. That would really mean peace and end of all problems.

Ouch. I don't think it is fair for the arabs to drop their desire for a state. True, they do not presently demonstrate the requirements needed to declare such a state, nor do they possess functioning social structures such as honest and transparent government to support such a state,but they should at least set a goal of a functional government as something to work towards and to heal the deep political rift between Hamas and Fatah.

Anyway, I think Palestine would have been a prosperous nation DECADES ago if their leadership had embraced NON-VIOLENT resistance.

If I may take your comment on its own to offer my comment; I disagree. Had Mr. Arafat and the defacto leadership accepted the peace agreement that gave the arabs almost all that they were asking for decades ago, there would be another arab state and no need for a jihadist to be on a hunger strike.

And if I may add, had they invested in education and building government & social services, they still wouldn't be at the stage they are now.

Edited by geriatrickid

If I may take your comment on its own to offer my comment; I disagree. Had Mr. Arafat and the defacto leadership accepted the peace agreement that gave the arabs almost all that they were asking for decades ago, there would be another arab state and no need for a jihadist to be on a hunger strike.

And if I may add, had they invested in education and building government & social services, they still wouldn't be at the stage they are now.

I don't think are points are mutually exclusive but I get your point from a literal point of view. I agree Arafat should have said yes.

one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

I'm happy to be living in a country that aknowledges the State of Palestine, as do the vast majority of the UN.

Too bad the actual people living in the divided not really a state yet Palestine overwhelmingly cannot accept the continued existence of Israel.
  • Like 2