King Of Car Thieves

Cobrabiker

After having several cars boosted, one in particular I put a lot of heart into, I recommend buying good insurance, don't leave valuables in the car, don't drive something that is not easily replaced, and don't get too attached.

Just a question,do you live in Thailand?

I have in 17 years living here never heard about a stolen car.Motorbikes a lot,but never a car.

Yes, I live here, not as long, as I heard from many shops that the most stolen cars are Honda Jazz & Toyota Yaris, just to take precaution, maybe your car is not what they looking for, just kidding. Car thefts are everywhere, heard and read about it in LOS.

After having several cars boosted, one in particular I put a lot of heart into, I recommend buying good insurance, don't leave valuables in the car, don't drive something that is not easily replaced, and don't get too attached.

I have in 17 years living here never heard about a stolen car.Motorbikes a lot,but never a car.

Yes, I live here, but I never realized that there hasn't been a car stolen here in 17 years, that’s amazing.

I guess I’ll start cancel my insurance, start leaving valuables in the car, buy an old classic and pour a lot of work into it and leave unlocked, Thanks for the Tip!cowboy.gif

Yes, I live here, but I never realized that there hasn't been a car stolen here in 17 years, that’s amazing.

I guess I’ll start cancel my insurance, start leaving valuables in the car, buy an old classic and pour a lot of work into it and leave unlocked, Thanks for the Tip!cowboy.gif

Ha Ha!, good one, plus lets leave our house front doors open too, just like we did in 50's UK. Just in case the neighbours need to pop in for that bowl of sugar.

ph34r.png

Vigo is Th most stolen vehicle, let me guess why

1. exported as is

2. parts used for old hilux in TH

3. plates/VIN/ID from old hilux used on stolen vehicle in TH

and it doesnt take much to bypass alarm and immobilizer, had to do it myself when my Benz V-class had an electronic problem in the mountains and wouldnt start

Yes, I live here, but I never realized that there hasn't been a car stolen here in 17 years, that’s amazing
Vigo is Th most stolen vehicle

Couldn't agree more! intheclub.gif

Btw, not trying to be rude, but it is a fact that car theft happens everywhere. Drug addicts, gamblers, get rich quick pie in the sky dreamers, are your potential customers if you allow them to.

I was wondering why the alarm was not triggered in this video. If the alarm is not factory fitted, will it be triggered if the lock was picked open?

1. exported as is

and it doesnt take much to bypass alarm and immobilizer, had to do it myself when my Benz V-class had an electronic problem in the mountains and wouldnt start

How easy is it with modern cars to put in a killswitch, and how effective?

I would guess it’s as easy as it ever was, and depending on haw creative you are pretty effective, although still not as effective as good insurance.

Keep in minde, it won’t keep you car from being towed, or stop some knucklehead(s) from stealing the air-bags, the glass or the cats and sh*tting on everything while they do it.

1. exported as is

an immobiliser a decde ago was usualy a kill switch, on fuel supply, a simple solenoide controlled by a chip in key. dont know how it looks today, but with commonrail or petrol injection I assume they have saved money and let chips control ecu rather than a 500 baht solenoide

installing one more hidden with a hidden switch, complicates things for thiefe. any fault also makes it possibel for you to loose engine power while overtaking

1. exported as is

an immobiliser a decde ago was usualy a kill switch, on fuel supply, a simple solenoide controlled by a chip in key. dont know how it looks today, but with commonrail or petrol injection I assume they have saved money and let chips control ecu rather than a 500 baht solenoide

installing one more hidden with a hidden switch, complicates things for thiefe. any fault also makes it possibel for you to loose engine power while overtaking

That's what i was thinking about for "easy".

Workarounds for factory protection are common and once found everyone knows, but an undocumented kill switch in the right place screws them.

But the additional electronics in modern cars might make it more problematic?

1. exported as is

That's what i was thinking about for "easy".

Workarounds for factory protection are common and once found everyone knows, but an undocumented kill switch in the right place screws them.

But the additional electronics in modern cars might make it more problematic?

Not really, a blocked fuel line is a blocked fuel line. Might be warned on dash, but still hard to find the solenoide

In addition its the option of cutting a wire stopping engine, all found behinde glovebox. However such fault is easily found in diagnosis, so the old basics are harder to find, as above

Single most effective could be gps/gsm tracking. The simple ones only tell you where vehicle is, but the more advanced ones can immobilize lets say at Sarasin Bridge leaving Phuket

I just rely on my rottweiler to alert and my Glock to elliminatedrunk.gif

Point is, dont install the stickers, if they are visible theives may have bypassoptions

Yes, most stolen is the VIGO 4-door 4x4, followed by Fortuner - that's why 4x4 pickups require more downpayment and cost ~10K Baht more each year to insure...

Apparently many fo them are also 'stolen to order' but nothing like the way shown in that video - in TH they simply wait for you to return to the car, then jump in the back seat as you unlock, and hold a knife to your throat / gun to your head until you agree that giving them keys would be a good idea... The other popular MO is breaking into your house and stealing the keys. Both much less sophisticated than the Canadian in the video, but equally as effective..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Yes, most stolen is the VIGO 4-door 4x4, followed by Fortuner - that's why 4x4 pickups require more downpayment and cost ~10K Baht more each year to insure...

Apparently many fo them are also 'stolen to order' but nothing like the way shown in that video - in TH they simply wait for you to return to the car, then jump in the back seat as you unlock, and hold a knife to your throat / gun to your head until you agree that giving them keys would be a good idea... The other popular MO is breaking into your house and stealing the keys. Both much less sophisticated than the Canadian in the video, but equally as effective..

Most common theft here in Phuket is vehicles as above, rented, sometimes but not always with false ID, and never returned

Most common theft here in Phuket is vehicles as above, rented, sometimes but not always with false ID, and never returned

Yes, apparently rental thefts are also quite popular in Chiangmai too. I heard of one rental outfit that had 5 taken in just one week this way.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Never said that there is no car theft in Thailand,only said that I never heard of one which means the same as that it will be very little compared to the western world.As another poster mentioned already,I guess most of the cars stolen are rented cars.

Ha Ha!, good one, plus lets leave our house front doors open too, just like we did in 50's UK. Just in case the neighbours need to pop in for that bowl of sugar.

ph34r.png

i haven t locked my house except when i sleep in over 15 years in thailand.

Ive lived here for 6 years and at one point in time rented a car for 6 months. Said rental company had 9 vehicles stolen in during that 6 month period.

So what is a good anti theft device if you don't have a gun on your head?

with or without a gun to yeur head, as I said in a previous post a gps tracking advice, so with a gun to your head you can let them leave with you car and you get to keep your head, then track it and get it back

if you can afford it, an additional immobilizer controlled by gps/gsm, tracking device automaticly immobilizing your vehicle when it leaves an area you have chosen

Ive lived here for 6 years and at one point in time rented a car for 6 months. Said rental company had 9 vehicles stolen in during that 6 month period.

I have said in post#18 already that I suspect that most "car thefts" happen from rental companies,and in fact I don't consider them thefts but scams.

I don't say there are NO ordinary car thefts in Thailand,as they happen on an hourly base in farang land,but they are far and between in Thailand.Spare wheels and motorbikes but Thais don't have the knowledge to disarm an half decent alarm system.

I also doubt that the OP has a rental company.

I have said in post#18 already that I suspect that most "car thefts" happen from rental companies,and in fact I don't consider them thefts but scams.

Tell that to the rental company owner that had to ask me for the car back as he had to sell it to pay his rent.............

So what is a good anti theft device if you don't have a gun on your head?

with or without a gun to yeur head, as I said in a previous post a gps tracking advice, so with a gun to your head you can let them leave with you car and you get to keep your head, then track it and get it back

if you can afford it, an additional immobilizer controlled by gps/gsm, tracking device automaticly immobilizing your vehicle when it leaves an area you have chosen

How much does that all cost ?

Tell that to the rental company owner that had to ask me for the car back as he had to sell it to pay his rent.............

What's your point actually.I didn't say the rental company scams,it are the renters who scam the company.

The OP is about alarm systems to prevent theft.

Even if the rental company had built in the most expensive and sophisticated alarm system available the cars would still have been stolen.

What's your point actually.I didn't say the rental company scams,it are the renters who scam the company.

The OP is about alarm systems to prevent theft.

Even if the rental company had built in the most expensive and sophisticated alarm system available the cars would still have been stolen.

as Vigo is not a very popular rental car, and still is Thailand most stolen car, stolen rental cars is just a small part of the theft picture in Thailand

a friends house was burglared, they stole his Vigo remote key. Replaced all locks and reprogramed remote/security

Private vehicle taken without permission = Stolen.

Rental vehicle taken without permission = Scam.

How does that work exactly ?

i think he's going with:

Man bashes you over the head takes your money - Robbery

A smooth talking conman induces you to hand over your money - Scam

As in the end result rather than starting origin - but I could be wrong