Heavy Seas On My Way Back To Thailand

DtemJai

A ship is lost at sea every week, but there is often surprisingly little detail as to why or what happened. South Africa - freak waves occur off the east coast of South Africa when there is a strong wind blowing in the opposite direction to the strong Agulhas Current. A lot of large vessels lie on the bottom there. Extremely dangerous when conditions is right, usually occur at the continual shelf, height up to 25 meters – here on this video wave height roughly @ 15 meters – problem. Ship length is 262 meters.

Beer time…Bye bye

A ship is lost at sea every week, but there is often surprisingly little detail as to why or what happened. South Africa - freak waves occur off the east coast of South Africa when there is a strong wind blowing in the opposite direction to the strong Agulhas Current. A lot of large vessels lie on the bottom there. Extremely dangerous when conditions is right, usually occur at the continual shelf, height up to 25 meters – here on this video wave height roughly @ 15 meters – problem. Ship length is 262 meters.

Beer time…Bye bye

The vast majority of ships lost off the coast of South Africa were tankers who had just discharged their "sanctioned" cargo in SA. Mostly Greek and Cypriot registry. Deep trench there. Nowadays the numbers are so large, insurance companies have invested in ROV's to see if the Chief Engineer, in cahoots with the Master had simply opened the sea cocks.

Whilst sailing back from the Falkland islands it was like that. It's fun on the first day but when you can't go outside for a smoke or sleep properly for over a week it gets boring. I was on a type 42 destroyer which is only 141m long. Good video.

Edited by dean999

Whilst sailing back from the Falkland islands it was like that. It's fun on the first day but when you can't go outside for a smoke or sleep properly for over a week it gets boring. I was on a type 42 destroyer which is only 141m long. Good video.

I could only have put up with that if I was with you. If that's you in your avatar, lovely eyes

Edited by Slaps
  • Like 1

I could only have put up with that if I was with you. If that's you in your avatar, lovely eyes

I was wondering when someone was going to make a comment on her avatar, good job slaps, it's a thankless job but someone has to do it. :-)

All I can say is 'God bless the Seamen and Women'. I had friends that were on the 'Murmansk and Atlantic Convoys' in the Second World War ; I still think of them regularly and thank my luck stars that there were such brave people around to carry out such dangerous missions to protect our freedom.

When I went to sea my first boss lied about his age (he was 16) and went to sea as a Radio Officer in the British Merchant Navy. He did a Russian convoy but wouldn't talk about it

Edited by endure

Gezz, curious, were you full of a load?

What was your load? I am guessing Oil products.

If you were side on, please confirm it would 99% roll? I am guessing again.

So I presume you are riding the storm out, but in the oceans, you are not dealing with isolated storms, that swell is massive, what if your destination was across it, do you sit there punching it or do you crab across it?

Where you actually making any headway?

I am not after exact answers regarding that film if you can't remember, I am just curious. :)

I was wondering when someone was going to make a comment on her avatar, good job slaps, it's a thankless job but someone has to do it. :-)

Hold your horses lads. Dean is a male name and I'm all man who loves women.

+1

Watching this... I miss my sea life!

Experienced similar/worse sea conditions in the North Sea, Atlantic & Bay of Biscay.

Amazing how you realise the power of nature at times like this!

Gezz, curious, were you full of a load?

What was your load? I am guessing Oil products.

If you were side on, please confirm it would 99% roll? I am guessing again.

So I presume you are riding the storm out, but in the oceans, you are not dealing with isolated storms, that swell is massive, what if your destination was across it, do you sit there punching it or do you crab across it?

Where you actually making any headway?

I am not after exact answers regarding that film if you can't remember, I am just curious. smile.png

Sorry Guys,

I’ve became so called “Thailand lazy – Isaan style”, perhaps is an extremely contiguous virus, hanging around up here. Any chores indoors or outdoors is always done by friends.

Anyhow let me take a look on a few post remarks:

Yeah, full Crude Oil load, draft 18 meters, swell, seas from abeam – mostly washed over on main-deck & gently rolling. We always try to avoid bad weather by altering course, speed as far as can see around 5 knots.

I quit sailing 15 years ago, and allot of videos on YouTube, regards to Maritime Disasters and so on – Bye bye………………..P.S. A little screwed up ‘Thailand Topic’ Mister Mod

I did the trip down from Rosyth on Dumbarton Castle in 1985, flat seas down to the islands. Then it never stopped for the next 8 months. People pay good money for that sort of experience at fair grounds.

• 9 months later...