Poll: Favorite Pattaya Area Place For Mexican Food

Jingthing

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But wait... did you hear.. Sunrise Tacos has all you can eat tacos on Tues and Friday for 220thb ++... wink.png Oh and not sure it's been mentioned (enough) yet but they have a salsa bar.

i did hear and yes i think its been mentioned enough already.............

I wonder just how many salsas JT uses when he eats?

if his appetite for posting on TV is as big as his appetite for eating then he probably eats all of them...................twice!

Well as he professes a liking for spicy salsa I don't see what use a salsa bar with several non-spicy salsas would be to him?

He's suspiciously quiet these days. Has he got another posting holiday?

it would not surprise me but its more likely he is sulking as his venerated Mexican got battered in a voting backlash against his constant barrage of promotional material

• Like 2

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam's has a big dinner special now: 1 tosada, 1 taco, 1 enchalada and rice for 199 baht. It was quite a lot of food and good without the ++ charge.

Looks good.

No ++ ?

Sam doesn't charge tax?

I was referring to the ++ as service charge. I had many things on the bill, I don't actually remember if tax was included or not.

Is Sunrise buried the tax and service charge would that make a difference to those that complain about ++?

Certainly couldn't bury it under the cheese.happy.png

• Like 1

Sam's has a big dinner special now: 1 tosada, 1 taco, 1 enchalada and rice for 199 baht. It was quite a lot of food and good without the ++ charge.

Looks good.

No ++ ?

Sam doesn't charge tax?

I was referring to the ++ as service charge. I had many things on the bill, I don't actually remember if tax was included or not.

Is Sunrise buried the tax and service charge would that make a difference to those that complain about ++?

Yes as I refuse to patronize and restaurant that is ++, I think it just means "stick it to the naive tourist" Expats who live here should not put up with it.

• Like 1

To all you Mexican food eaters: Do any of the restaurants mentioned serve my favorite Mexican dish called Chile Rellenos?

As far as I know, chile relleno is not available at ANY restaurant in Pattaya/Naklua/Jomtien! I love too. I also like it in a burrito. I think there is an issue with getting the peppers here but frankly I would pay a premium for that dish. I wonder why some restaurant doesn't try to offer it and promote it?

Cant source Pablanos for rellenos.

There was a Bangkok restaurant who did source them before. I forget the name or if they are still in business. Anyway, it seems to me, for a PRICE, anything can be sourced. I am surprised Sunrise being a big chain, doesn't bother with this. Like I said, I think people would pay a premium for something so rare here.

@bob4u

Does the ++ thing make it too expensive or do you think it's a trick or scam? I don't see the logic.

The prices are listed on the menu so I don't think it's a scam aimed at the naive tourist.

Anyway, I always tip and pay the tax so the ++ is not an issue.

In fact I would normally tip more than 10% so the ++ system probably saves me a bit.

@bob4u

Does the ++ thing make it too expensive or do you think it's a trick or scam? I don't see the logic.

The prices are listed on the menu so I don't think it's a scam aimed at the naive tourist.

In fact I would normally tip more than 10% so the ++ system probably saves me a bit.

There coffee1.gifmight coffee1.gif be an issue with the service staff not getting the entire 10 percent. Not sure I would call that a scam. A different word comes to mind.

@bob4u

There coffee1.gifmight coffee1.gif be an issue with the service staff not getting the entire 10 percent. Not sure I would call that a scam. A different word comes to mind.

I like to help the staff by tipping.

If they don't get the service charge then I am disappointed.

There was a Bangkok restaurant who did source them before. I forget the name or if they are still in business. Anyway, it seems to me, for a PRICE, anything can be sourced. I am surprised Sunrise being a big chain, doesn't bother with this. Like I said, I think people would pay a premium for something so rare here.

IMO, most people would complain about the price as they would not realize (or care) that Pablanos are hard to find in Thailand. Jingthing and I and a few others would be the only customers.

Edited by Ulysses G.

To all you Mexican food eaters: Do any of the restaurants mentioned serve my favorite Mexican dish called Chile Rellenos?

http://www.mikespattaya.com/menu3.html

Bottom item on the menu.

But most likely they'll be Mexican ones, not from Chile.

Not from Chile? Okie dokie.

I see it says "when available" but that's interesting. The description says dipped in butter and I sure hope that is a mistake. Supposed to be dipped in batter. Also they don't actually specify that they use poblano peppers.

IMO, most people would complain about the price as they would not realize (or care) that Pablanos are hard to find in Thailand. Jingthing and I and a few others would be the only customers.

Well, I am talking something like 100 baht more than an average dish. More than than that, you're definitely right. I think they would sell some if they bothered to try to sell it. Of course, most buyers would be expats who crave them of course.

http://www.mikespattaya.com/menu3.html

Bottom item on the menu.

But most likely they'll be Mexican ones, not from Chile.

Not from Chile? Okie dokie.

I see it says "when available" but that's interesting. The description says dipped in butter and I sure hope that is a mistake. Supposed to be dipped in batter. Also they don't actually specify that they use poblano peppers.

Give them a call and ask, there's a number on the website.

Mikes Rellanos as of 30 minutes ago. I believe they are substituting a Thai green mild chili which is more suitable for Thai sauces and dips. The problem with this chili is there is no meat to this pepper. Extremely thin with no flavor. Did not like the veloute based sauce that it was smothered in as well. We also had nachos and the chicken was boiled breast meat which was shredded. This cooking method is notorious for drying out proteins. Very little white cheese on the plate. Mini quesadilla was smothered in ranchera or enchillada sauce which i have never seen a sauced quesadilla before and the big beef burrito smothered in the same sauce. Jalapeno poppers were a slice of pepper with a dollop of cream cheese rapped in deep fried pastry which oozed oil out the sides as we ate.This is not a jalapeno popper and this dish should be 86'd. Disgracefull. The waitress had pretty contact lenses and there was no one smoking.

(Dont get the carrots in the hot sauce, no comprende muchos! Who does that?)

The interior was cool, clean and inviting. The bar seems like a lovely place to get your ear infection on! I give it a 5 out of 10 but still imho the best in patts. I heard the Sunrise Tacos in BKK is much better. Have a great one!

Mikes Rellanos as of 30 minutes ago. I believe they are substituting a Thai green mild chili which is more suitable for Thai sauces and dips. The problem with this chili is there is no meat to this pepper. Extremely thin with no flavor. Did not like the veloute based sauce that it was smothered in as well. We also had nachos and the chicken was boiled breast meat which was shredded. This cooking method is notorious for drying out proteins. Very little white cheese on the plate. Mini quesadilla was smothered in ranchera or enchillada sauce which i have never seen a sauced quesadilla before and the big beef burrito smothered in the same sauce. Jalapeno poppers were a slice of pepper with a dollop of cream cheese rapped in deep fried pastry which oozed oil out the sides as we ate.This is not a jalapeno popper and this dish should be 86'd. Disgracefull. The waitress had pretty contact lenses and there was no one smoking.

(Dont get the carrots in the hot sauce, no comprende muchos! Who does that?)

The interior was cool, clean and inviting. The bar seems like a lovely place to get your ear infection on! I give it a 5 out of 10 but still imho the best in patts. I heard the Sunrise Tacos in BKK is much better. Have a great one!

Sunrise Tacos +1

• 4 months later...

I reckon Mikes has so many votes over Sunrise because the grumpy expats can't get over the PLUS PLUS schtick.

BTW, the last time I had the usually wonderful chips at Sunrise they were unpleasantly OVER-SALTED. Oh well ...

One thing that surprised me about Mike's is that it is apparantly a Japanese

Fast food chain witha single branch in Thailand. Maybe that's why I was not so impressed.

Sam's has no ++ and gives pretty good special deals now. Good, friendly service too.

• Like 1

I'm the "other" choice in your poll.

The best Mexican food in the Pattaya area is BEAVER BAR on BANG CHANG's strip. It is owned by a long time friend of mine from the Rio Grande valley in Texas and the enchiladas are beyond belief.

He also serves great Yank food such as chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, hamburger steak, etc.

Don't be afraid to go there with family as he has an outdoor table for four. I have no financial interest in the bar. The food will speak for itself.

This is the worst,over priced stuff(i wont call it food) in s.e. Asia,how can you burn french fries and make them soggy at the same time?very small portion of enchilads? and burnt soggy fries 280 baht,disgusting!

Blue Parrot food has been good over a long period of time & reasonably priced. Advertises a PSC discount, but good luck getting it, the witches there think it is sport to say, bill done, cannot give. Oh well there goes ur tip!

The best Mexican food in the Pattaya area is BEAVER BAR on BANG CHANG's strip. It is owned by a long time friend of mine from the Rio Grande valley in Texas and the enchiladas are beyond belief.

He also serves great Yank food such as chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, hamburger steak, etc.

Don't be afraid to go there with family as he has an outdoor table for four. I have no financial interest in the bar. The food will speak for itself.

This is the worst,over priced stuff(i wont call it food) in s.e. Asia,how can you burn french fries and make them soggy at the same time?very small portion of enchilads? and burnt soggy fries 280 baht,disgusting!

I had the enchilada in there last night and it was a full plate size and very filling, not small at all.

Very tasty too. My only complaint would be too much cheese.

I had the enchilada in there last night and it was a full plate size and very filling, not small at all.

Very tasty too. My only complaint would be too much cheese.

Well I guess that's a good complaint in my book.. too much cheese is a plus in both mexi and pizza.

• Like 1