Poll: Favorite Pattaya Area Place For Mexican Food

Jingthing

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

post-37101-0-28542600-1329945735_thumb.j

The long wait is over. The ultimate Pattaya area Mexican food poll is here. What's your favorite place for Mexican food in Naklua/Pattaya/Jomtien? Both dedicated Mexican restaurants and places with a Mexican food section (or buffet day) included. If your favorite is left out, tough tacos!

Looking at that long list, wow, this is a big city now. So many places with Mexican menus. OK, not very much to write home to Guadalajara about, but not chopped liver either.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the "other" choice in your poll.

The best Mexican food in the Pattaya area is BEAVER BAR on BANG CHANG's strip. It is owned by a long time friend of mine from the Rio Grande valley in Texas and the enchiladas are beyond belief.

He also serves great Yank food such as chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, hamburger steak, etc.

Don't be afraid to go there with family as he has an outdoor table for four. I have no financial interest in the bar. The food will speak for itself.

The best Mexican food in the Pattaya area is BEAVER BAR on BANG CHANG's strip. It is owned by a long time friend of mine from the Rio Grande valley in Texas and the enchiladas are beyond belief.

He also serves great Yank food such as chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, hamburger steak, etc.

Don't be afraid to go there with family as he has an outdoor table for four. I have no financial interest in the bar. The food will speak for itself.

Will have to try that for sure! Is it near Camel Bar?

Will have to try that for sure! Is it near Camel Bar?

40-50 meters on the same strip leading away from highway 2 and before that long block ends. Can't miss it.

Would love to have another opinion.

Ban Chang is off the geographical area included in the poll. Naklua, Pattaya, and Jomtien are included ... only. Edited by Jingthing

You left out the "eat at home option". Wifey does mexican food better than most local restaurants. And does killer margs. Now if I can just get her to try mole sauce. If done properly, it's fantastic!

Not a huge challenge to beat the local options if you're a good cook.

I am surprised that there are 19ish Mexican restaurants in Pattaya.

Good comparison research for some people i would guess.

Well, most of them aren't actually dedicated Mexican restaurants. But yes there a lot of places to buy food labeled as Mexican. However, honestly, for really good stuff that would excite people in the US or Mexico, the pickings are still slim. But, hey, progress is progress!

Ban Chang is off the geographical area included in the poll. Naklua, Pattaya, and Jomtien are included ... only.

Since I cannot cast another vote, pencil me in for Mike's...but Beaver is betterthumbsup.gif

Ban Chang is off the geographical area included in the poll. Naklua, Pattaya, and Jomtien are included ... only.

Since I cannot cast another vote, pencil me in for Mike's...but Beaver is betterthumbsup.gif

Actually, you can delete your current vote, and cast a new vote, as many times as you please. But one vote only.

Actually, you can delete your current vote, and cast a new vote, as many times as you please. But one vote only.

Viola! Thanks and I am reminded of the old adage...When all else fails, follow the instructions.

Didn't try the enchiladas in Bang Chang but did sample the beaver.

Didn't try the enchiladas in Bang Chang but did sample the beaver.

I always go for the beef stew in there, it's great, but will try the enchilladas next time.

I am surprised that there are 19ish Mexican restaurants in Pattaya.

Good comparison research for some people i would guess.

Well, most of them aren't actually dedicated Mexican restaurants. But yes there a lot of places to buy food labeled as Mexican. However, honestly, for really good stuff that would excite people in the US or Mexico, the pickings are still slim. But, hey, progress is progress!

Agreed, JT. For those of us who don't cook at home, particularly those who've lived in Texas or So Cal, mediocre Mex food is much better than no Mex food! :-)

It's funny, we dined at Mikes the other day and wasn't that impressed. It wasn't bad but I think the food at Tequila Reef is better - and their Margaritas have a lot more kick to them. Mike's is a much nicer environment though, I don't much like the Soi 7-8 area.

It's funny, we dined at Mikes the other day and wasn't that impressed. It wasn't bad but I think the food at Tequila Reef is better - and their Margaritas have a lot more kick to them. Mike's is a much nicer environment though, I don't much like the Soi 7-8 area.

What dish do you actually like at Tequila Reef (he asks sceptically ...)?

Guacamole (yeah I know, that was easy, it's easy to make and good everywhere), Tijuana taxi, and crash and burn burritos. The sizzling fajitas are not bad either.

OK, thanks. So according to their menu the crash and burn burrito is stuffed with their chili con carne. That sounds unusual. So the chili, is it actually spicy or perhaps just burned?

I don't know, being European I didn't grow up with Mexican food so maybe I have a different angle to it. I guess how you like your Mexican food depends on what you're used to. I did spend quite some time in Austin Texas many years ago, and sampled a lot of the "native" Mexican stuff. It was a lot better than the "Chicken fried steak", "Bisquits and gravy" and fast-food options otherwise available in the area, but not my favorite either.

I don't know, being European I didn't grow up with Mexican food so maybe I have a different angle to it. I guess how you like your Mexican food depends on what you're used to. I did spend quite some time in Austin Texas many years ago, and sampled a lot of the "native" Mexican stuff. It was a lot better than the "Chicken fried steak", "Bisquits and gravy" and fast-food options otherwise available in the area, but not my favorite either.

The food service I mentioned in an earlier post is also a lot better than the "fast-food options otherwise available in the area."

If you don't like Texas country cooking, that's another issue.

So Mikes is beating Sunrise? Yes, I am a bit surprised. I'm not surprised that the top votes are those two though.

Just my opinion, but I think if it was only Americans voting (the nationality here with the most experience of Mexican food excepting the rare Mexican), Sunrise would win.

Edited by Jingthing